Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone chasing coins in this weeks Stack’s auctions?

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

@breakdown said:
    Did a Monroe just go for 102K? Gulp.

Yeah, that is amazing.

All of the commems... just wow

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@breakdown said:
    Did a Monroe just go for 102K? Gulp.

Yeah, that is amazing.

All of the commems... just wow

I should have followed them, thinking of selling mine. Have 28 out of the 50 all have CACs.
    I just can't seem to let go of them, they are so pretty................so much history

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alaura22 said:

@DelawareDoons said:
    0 for 11. :|

I feel your pain.
    1 winner for me out of 8
    Funny, I won a coin that had a $850 PCGS value on it when I did my research on it a few days ago. When I just looked the PCGS value when up to $1100. Price must have gone up today or the last couple days. When I click on the price history it was $850 as of 4/1.
    For those of you that would like to check this out, the coin is a 1853 Arrows & Rays half dollar in PCGS AU55
    Let me know what you come up with, I'm curious

I had a bid on that coin early on. Looks like you got a nice coin. You paying the $1140 is more than the new PCGS guide price. But the past auction results more supported the previous $850 guide price. Coins must be hot right now.

• Options
    RABRAB Posts: 132 ✭✭✭✭

Not planning to bid on anything, but watching a number of lots of interest to me…so far everything on my watch list has sold for significantly more than I would have expected, well above PCGS guide in each case!

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps tomorrow. I’m going to fasten my seatbelt.

• Options
    SimpleCollectorSimpleCollector Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Officially went 0 for 1 in tokens and 0 for 4 in older gold.

• Options

@Batman23 said:

@alaura22 said:

@DelawareDoons said:
    0 for 11. :|

I feel your pain.
    1 winner for me out of 8
    Funny, I won a coin that had a $850 PCGS value on it when I did my research on it a few days ago. When I just looked the PCGS value when up to $1100. Price must have gone up today or the last couple days. When I click on the price history it was $850 as of 4/1.
    For those of you that would like to check this out, the coin is a 1853 Arrows & Rays half dollar in PCGS AU55
    Let me know what you come up with, I'm curious

I had a bid on that coin early on. Looks like you got a nice coin. You paying the $1140 is more than the new PCGS guide price. But the past auction results more supported the previous $850 guide price. Coins must be hot right now.

Batman
    I'm happy with it, a bit over the current price guild of $1100. Surely not 3x more
    Sorry you didn't get it but glad you were able to let it go
    Maybe I could return the favor sometime

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

Watching this stuff is making me re-evaluate the opportunity cost of ownership……..

Better think about something else. :)

• Options

@BryceM said:
    Watching this stuff is making me re-evaluate the opportunity cost of ownership……..

Better think about something else. :)

Lol.

That is always an issue... even if prices are bad, possibly especially if it is bad. There are always other places to park money.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 6, 2022 3:30AM

@MasonG said:
    Two types of posts in these threads...

1. "No matter how high I bid, I never win."
    2. "I'll never make my money back when I go to sell."

No. 1 would indicate that stuff is selling for crazy money, No. 2 makes it look like stuff goes cheap. Seems like they can't both be true... ;)

No, I can see both. Recently I paid very high prices for two 19th century political pieces. The prices paid reflected my “I want that.” attitude. They were too high. To get that price again, I would have consign the items to a major auction house and hope that the items would attract similar bids with only my name or no important name on them. Even if the items got the same bids, the auction house would take at least 20% of the price realized.

I am getting too old to wait for that “new market” that might emerge 20 years from now. For example, I paid $125 for the second Daniel Morgan metal that I posted. I paid way under $1,000 for the first one, which I acquired from a dealer who was not known for “bargain prices.” They were purchased 30 years ago in “another era.”

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 6, 2022 7:14AM

@BillJones said:

@MasonG said:

To get that price again, I would have consign the items to a major auction house and hope that the items would attract similar bids with only my name or no important name on them. Even if the items got the same bids, the auction house would take at least 20% of the price realized.

Depending on your total value of pieces to be sold you can easily get 0%, you have to ask. If you have one or two with a total value of say $1-2,000 you may not have the leverage, but the more you have the more leverage you have to ask for 0%. I sold some on Heritage and got 0%.

Edit, I should add, if you need the money quickly Heritage is not the way to go. They will give you a cash advance for about 50% of the value but they charge 1% per month until the sale settles.

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Proofmorgan said:
    Blown out on the early gold here. Very strong prices. Really wanted one of those $10s

In the rattlers? I saw them in hand, amazing coins across the board. Just completely wowed me to see them all together at once.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options

Heritage has a buyers' fee of 25% on political items. Just saying.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@Herb_T said:

@BillJones said:

@MasonG said:

To get that price again, I would have consign the items to a major auction house and hope that the items would attract similar bids with only my name or no important name on them. Even if the items got the same bids, the auction house would take at least 20% of the price realized.

Depending on your total value of pieces to be sold you can easily get 0%, you have to ask. If you have one or two with a total value of say $1-2,000 you may not have the leverage, but the more you have the more leverage you have to ask for 0%. I sold some on Heritage and got 0%.

Edit, I should add, if you need the money quickly Heritage is not the way to go. They will give you a cash advance for about 50% of the value but they charge 1% per month until the sale settles.

You have to get -20% to get to zero. 0% seller's premium doesn't do anything about the 20% buyer's premium. So, you did lose 20% to the house unless they gave you hammer+20%

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    No, I can see both.

Don't people regularly caution against considering your collection an investment?

• Options
    ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons said:

@Proofmorgan said:
    Blown out on the early gold here. Very strong prices. Really wanted one of those $10s

In the rattlers? I saw them in hand, amazing coins across the board. Just completely wowed me to see them all together at once.

Yes, the ones in the rattlers. 1797 went for about 50% over what I could justify. 1801 I was an increment short. 1803 I was a couple increments off.

The order I liked them was 1797, 1803, 1801.

Amazing coins! I wish I could have taken them all home, but not in this market.

Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.
  • Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

These Half Eagles are going for crazy money. Many for money 2+ grades higher.

• Options

@pcgscacgold said:

Feeling very poor at this stage............moon money once again

• Options

@alaura22 said:

@pcgscacgold said:

Some are going for 3X guide. The C and D minted coins are incredibly strong. Where do they go from here? That is the question.

• Options

@pcgscacgold said:

@alaura22 said:

@pcgscacgold said:

Some are going for 3X guide. The C and D minted coins are incredibly strong. Where do they go from here? That is the question.

And we're back to the "Guides"

• Options

I wish I had a dollar for everytime the auctioneer said
    THAT IS A NEW AUCTION RECORD...............DAMN

• Options

@Proofmorgan said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@Proofmorgan said:

Yes, the ones in the rattlers. 1797 went for about 50% over what I could justify. 1801 I was an increment short. 1803 I was a couple increments off.

The order I liked them was 1797, 1803, 1801.

Amazing coins! I wish I could have taken them all home, but not in this market.

Funny, the winner of the '01 (I know him and was talking about these with him, giving him my in-hand opinions) liked them in the same order per my recollection. He's very happy with his win, nonetheless.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    coinandcurrency242coinandcurrency242 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭✭

Last night, the auctioneer said I should have your number memorized by now to one of the floor bidders winning a quite a few coins on rariety night.

Positive BST as a seller: Namvet69, Lordmarcovan, Bigjpst, Soldi, mustanggt, CoinHoader, moursund, SufinxHi, al410, JWP

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

At the rate classic gold is going, I may have to sit out for a few years until there is a correction. I can spend my time and money on other parts of the market. On the bright side, if the prices don’t correct I’ll have a nice return on what I do have some day.

• Options
    AceAce Posts: 80 ✭✭

I was on for trying to pick up one Fugio, but they all were lots over what I thought they should be, maybe it was the different die pairings that made them seen rarer

• Options
    edited April 6, 2022 4:13PM

@MasonG said:

@BillJones said:
    No, I can see both.

Don't people regularly caution against considering your collection an investment?

I never said that my collection was an "investment."

Looking that this market, I see a re-play from 40 + years ago when people threw money at "things." In that case the best thing to do is sit this one out, or if you want to collect, stick to the "dark side." That's what I did 40+ years ago.

• Options

@BillJones said:

@MasonG said:

@BillJones said:
    No, I can see both.

Looking that this market, I see a re-play from 40 + years ago when people threw money at "things." In that case the best thing to do is sit this one out, or look if you want to collect, stick to the "dark side." That's what I did 40+ years ago.

I hear that "it is different this time".

;)

• Options
    cccoinscccoins Posts: 287 ✭✭✭✭

I picked one up, for less than I thought that I would have to pay. I will post detail as later, but it think that it was one of the gems of the sale.

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    Heritage has a buyers' fee of 25% on political items. Just saying.

And they are not as willing to waive their sellers fees on non-coins.

• Options

@BillJones said:

@MasonG said:

@BillJones said:
    No, I can see both.

Looking that this market, I see a re-play from 40 + years ago when people threw money at "things." In that case the best thing to do is sit this one out, or look if you want to collect, stick to the "dark side." That's what I did 40+ years ago.

Yes, I remember it well..............

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:

@BillJones said:
    No, I can see both.

"The Expert's Guide to Collecting & Investing in Rare Coins: Secrets Of Success" was a popular reference book.

• Options

Looks like bidder number 2678 is taking home a lot of the gold today. They did very well during the $5 lots and is taking home many of the $10's.

• Options

@BillJones said:

@MasonG said:

@BillJones said:
    No, I can see both.

Maybe not using that exact word but you have often commented about how you're unlikely to recover the money you've spent on your purchases. Po-tay-to, Po-tah-to...

• Options
    edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

After watching the Half Eagles, I have decided the time may be right to sell mine.

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• Options

@edwardjulio said:
    After watching the Half Eagles, I have decided the time may be right to sell mine.

Select your venue wisely..............

• Options
    Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

@okiedude said:
    Fierce bidding yesterday for some of the Abigail collection halves. Luckily I sent them 80 coins to sell back in January, so I had some room to play yesterday. I did get 14 Seated Halves, 1 CBH and 1 Draped Bust Dollar. Some went a little higher than I wanted, but I also made some good buys, I felt. I was trading quantity for quality-LOL!

Nice buy on the 1820 CBH!

• Options

@alaura22 said:

@edwardjulio said:

Select your venue wisely..............

I'm told the BST is the best place...

(End sarcasm)

• Options

@DisneyFan said:

@MasonG said:

@BillJones said:
    No, I can see both.

"The Expert's Guide to Collecting & Investing in Rare Coins: Secrets Of Success" was a popular reference book.

Either people read it or they didn't and the advice it offered either worked or it didn't. Hard to make any determinations without further information.

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

You know the party is over in the Stacks auction when you get 140 reply’s to who’s chasing (bidding) in the Stack auction, use to be no one paid attention.

• Options

@JimTyler said:
    You know the party is over in the Stacks auction when you get 140 reply’s to who’s chasing (bidding) in the Stack auction, use to be no one paid attention.

Sounds like the party is just getting started to me.

Now, who's next for a keg stand and a nuke bid?

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons said:

@JimTyler said:

Suppose you’re right if your party is getting buried.

• Options

@JimTyler said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@JimTyler said:

Todays overpayment is tomorrows good deal in this market.

• Options

0 for 13 by the way. Sic semper tyrannis. :|

• Options

"Another record here at Stacks auction, that one is double the last record". How many times did I have to hear that tonight? Just rubbing it in.

If I worked at Greysheet I would start sharpening the pencils because their numbers were way off. CAC guides have some catching up to do as well.

Will these monster prices bring some new coins to market. Liberty coinage has gotten its day in the spotlight.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons said:

@JimTyler said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@JimTyler said:

But is it a short term bubble? The media hype is already talking a recession is what it will take to curb inflation. I'm cautiously watching. I'll go for the coins I don't think I can ever find another....but the other...nah, the brakes are on!

• Options
    edited April 6, 2022 6:16PM

@amwldcoin said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@JimTyler said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@JimTyler said:

But is it a short term bubble? The media hype is already talking a recession is what it will take to curb inflation. I'm cautiously watching. I'll go for the coins I don't think I can ever find another....but the other...nah, the brakes are on!

Don't get me wrong, I'm just playing hype man here. Like I said, I'm 0-13 this round.

A lot of the bigger dealers I'm talking to are very bullish right now though, I heard one saying they think this past year is the start of a 5-7 year bull run in coins... That coins are catching up to the gains other collectables have seen recently.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree and am tired of ebayers throwing old auction results and outdated price guide numbers at me. But I'm not going to step out to far! 9 times out of 10 when I get an ebay message like that my coin sells in under 24 hours.

@DelawareDoons said:

@amwldcoin said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@JimTyler said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@JimTyler said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm just playing hype man here. Like I said, I'm 0-13 this round.

A lot of the bigger dealers I'm talking to are very bullish right now though, I heard one saying they think this past year is the start of a 5-7 year bull run in coins... That coins are catching up to the gains other collectables have seen recently.

• Options

@DelawareDoons said:
    0 for 13 by the way. Sic semper tyrannis. :|

2 for 37

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file