Comments

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found this at the LCS.....

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erwindoc said:
    Found this at the LCS.....

Nice job Jason! That is a quality pick-up. Very wholesome!

For the benefit of a rough comparison, here is one I have had for a little while at 5 years ago this month (StacksBowers March 2017 Baltimore Auction). It is considered an 'older holder' in PC XF (I believe it to be a Series 4.1 holder so graded in the 2002 to 2004 time-frame.)

• Tim

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a new pickup for me, a 1902 S Half in AU 58:

A very challenging date to find in AU 58.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options

Wow, looks great Jeff! That seems fresh as an '02-S half! Here is a recently imaged '09-S quarter:

• Options

Here are some fresh pictures of a very difficult center mintmark '95-S. If there wasn't so much grime around the mintmark, you might make and outline of a slight MM repunching.

Rare center mintmark '95-S in PCGS XF:

• Tim

• Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

Passed along from a good friend...PCGS AU-55

More coins, less government.
  • Options

A nice newp that arrived in the mail today. A 1900-P Barber Quarter in PC50 with Type II Obverse mated to a Type III Reverse. Notice the cross-W or a line across the center W apex on the obverse WE (cross-W is found on earlier examples vs. no-cross-W's on later series examples). 1900 was a transition year. No-cross-W's are a Type III obverse. Both Type II and III obverses have an inner ear element.

• T

• Options

Nice coin, Tim! The Type II/ II is the rare variety, and the Type III/ II is still unknown to exist. Maybe someone reading this will find one?

• Options

Here is the second newp out of this deal. This one has a different mintmark placement from my other XF.

Coin #1: 1914-D Barber Quarter PC45: This mintmark is more naturally centered and true in proper placement when compared to Coin #2.

Coin #2: 1914-D Barber Quarter PC45: This mintmark placement is more high and tight up against the eagle tail feathers in comparison to Coin #1. It is slightly tilted down in a westerly south direction in conjunction with its high placement. The mintmark size itself 'seems' ever so slightly wider in stature but I believe this to be an optical illusion. The mintmark sizes are most likely equivalent if measured.

• Tim

• Options

Here is a Barber dime in AU. The 1908-P as a date is replete with a large number of RPD's.

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice crusty newp quarters (1900, 14-D), Tim.

Recently acquired, P62:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tim I love the look of your new '14 D! Here's one of my newps from G.C.

• Options

Here's one of my recent acquisitions:

• Options

@valente151 ...
    Sharing a couple of Mike's quarters as I'm "going down memory lane" of photo files.

"Occasionally I get lucky and buy a nice coin"- one of my favorite things he used to say.

Hard to believe we are coming up on 5 years this year since Mike's passing... the date being July 24th, 2017 per my notes. Thanks for the pics!

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    Here's one of my recent acquisitions:

Jeff, I just now noticed that at CoinFacts, when you click the button "MORE IMAGES", this 1896-O Half Dollar is the only PCGS AU58 showing up there. Interesting.

• Options

My '96 O Half was once owned by Don Willis, previously of PCGS. Perhaps that's the connection?

I think it's interesting to know who has owned rare coins before me.

• Options

Bringing this back to page one. I am at the point in my quarter collection where common dates are what I'm looking for so am trying to take my time and be selective. I found three recently, here's the second of the three:

• Options

For more than 2 years I've been in process of assembling a 1900 Barber Hub Type set in AU condition (all 3 mints). Although there are potentially 16 different combinations (3 OBV and 2 REV Hubs) 4 of the combinations are unknown to exist. One of the most elusive combinations has been the P mint Type II OBV paired with the Type II REV. It makes sense that it's scarce; the Type II Hub was a transitional change between the I & III, used for a very short time. The Type II REV Hub was only in use for a short time at the beginning of 1900 before the Type III Hub was introduced.

I have previously found a few XF to AU P Mint Type II/ II coins, but all were cleaned or otherwise damaged in some way. For 2 years the best specimen I could find that PCGS would straight grade was a VG 10. Last fall I found a raw example in AU that looked unaltered- I submitted it to our hosts early this year:

Perhaps not the prettiest 58 out there, but it's an extremely rare type. Is anyone else collecting a 1900 Hub Type set?

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    For more than 2 years I've been in process of assembling a 1900 Barber Hub Type set in AU condition (all 3 mints). Although there are potentially 16 different combinations (3 OBV and 2 REV Hubs) 4 of the combinations are unknown to exist. One of the most elusive combinations has been the P mint Type II OBV paired with the Type II REV. It makes sense that it's scarce; the Type II Hub was a transitional change between the I & III, used for a very short time. The Type II REV Hub was only in use for a short time at the beginning of 1900 before the Type III Hub was introduced.

I have previously found a few XF to AU P Mint Type II/ II coins, but all were cleaned or otherwise damaged in some way. For 2 years the best specimen I could find that PCGS would straight grade was a VG 10. Last fall I found a raw example in AU that looked unaltered- I submitted it to our hosts early this year:

Perhaps not the prettiest 58 out there, but it's an extremely rare type. Is anyone else collecting a 1900 Hub Type set?

I am collecting them Jeff, although I have not been as diligent as you in pursuit (as the name 'sedulous' indicates) regarding the 1900 hub endeavor.

• Tim

• Options

@Eldorado9 said:
    A couple monster Newps for the collection:

Those are so nice Eldo! very cool palette of colors going on there!

• Options

@jedm said:
    Bringing this back to page one. I am at the point in my quarter collection where common dates are what I'm looking for so am trying to take my time and be selective. I found three recently, here's the second of the three:

Jed, staying consistent! you are amassing a superb collection of nicely used circulated quarters!

• Options

@valente151 - Do you have a list of Hayes' special Barbers? like is there a list of PCGS#'s or something out there? - Tim

• Options
    valente151valente151 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

@sedulous said:
    @valente151 - Do you have a list of Hayes' special Barbers? like is there a list of PCGS#'s or something out there? - Tim

Hi Tim- Unsure exactly what you mean by the special Barbers. His registry sets should still be viewable, though retired. If there's a coin you want the original photos of, let me know and I'll see if I photographed it.

Here's a lib nickel to proof up this thread.

• Options

Here's another of Mike's coins that Valente 151 shot for Mike:

• Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

This toughy is a Pop 4 at CAC. PCGS AU-58...

More coins, less government.
  • Options

Lenny that's a beautiful dime. I'd think 1906 would be a scarce year because of the earthquake, is it?
    Tim thanks for the kind words. Anyway, just to share - here's the third common date that I acquired in a recent GC auction from the Ram collection if I remember correctly:

• Options

I picked up a couple of 1900 raw quarters last fall and submitted them for grading in early January. One was a Type II/ II Hub variety (came back as an AU 58, posted last week). The other was a Type III/ III variety (very common); it came back as a MS 62:

I figured this one as an AU coin- not MS. I won't argue with the grading room.

• Options

Jeff, great pics of the 1900 as always. I have a feeling it would get the same grade if you tried again. It's cool to think that someone put this one away 122 years ago and it's never really been used in commerce.

• Options

@valente151 said:

@sedulous said:

Hi Tim- Unsure exactly what you mean by the special Barbers. His registry sets should still be viewable, though retired.

I would figure that would be somewhat true about the archived Registry. What I was wondering about was all the Barbers Mike saw as "special". A smaller sub list of Barber coins that he used to own. The archived Registry doesn't complete that entire special sub list out of the larger population list of quality coins. If memory serves correctly, he sold a bunch and then restarted a new Barber endeavor... in fact, the sell off - restart cycle may have been more than once to get to the last archived Registry set grouping.

I am just saying it would be nice if an inventory exists out there regarding coins Mike saw as "special". In fact, you may be the only person that could compile something like that when he asked you to photograph the coins he purchased during his collecting lifetime. Boy, what a book of images that would make if discussed and published.

Thanks. - T

• Options
    edited April 18, 2022 7:17PM

This one came back from the grading room a couple of weeks ago- it replaced an AU 53 in my set:

This was a raw pickup from eBay. I paid the PCGS listed AU 58 value for the raw coin, and then paid for grading. Not a good financial investment,,,,

I was a sucker for the toning.

• Options

This had been sitting in a friend's safety deposit box for at least the past 15 years, N64:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing stuff

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    edited April 20, 2022 11:44PM

I received my newp '06-P in PC58 in the mail today. Decided to see what my camera would project:

Edit: looking more closely, seems I have an RPD. That shows up here a little better than in the auction pics.

• Options

Pics for the evening, such a tough date in this grade range IMO, raw:

Vern
    l
  • Options

@barberkeys said:
    Pics for the evening, such a tough date in this grade range IMO, raw:

Raw? It is a tough date.

• Options

About 3 weeks ago I posted what I thought was a great find- an AU 58 1900 Quarter Type II OBV paired with a Type II Rev Hub. I had just received the coin back from the grading room. I had looked high and low for 2 years for a nice example that would grade; it's an extremely unusual variety to find.

A week later Tim alerts me that there's an eBay Auction with the same variety in a MS 61 slab. He was correct; the coin was over priced, but it was the rare-ish variety. I bud the minimum amount and purchased it:

I sure wish there was a way to get the Hub Varieties noted on the labels.....

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa said:

There is! Publish a book and have it accredited!

• Options

@amwldcoin said:

@JeffMTampa said:

There is! Publish a book and have it accredited!

D - We are building that and trying to see how what we have been gathering should be rolled out for consumption. Currently learning about what the challenges are. - T

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    About 3 weeks ago I posted what I thought was a great find- an AU 58 1900 Quarter Type II OBV paired with a Type II Rev Hub. I had just received the coin back from the grading room. I had looked high and low for 2 years for a nice example that would grade; it's an extremely unusual variety to find.

A week later Tim alerts me that there's an eBay Auction with the same variety in a MS 61 slab. He was correct; the coin was over priced, but it was the rare-ish variety. I bud the minimum amount and purchased it:

I didn't know you went after that! Very cool. Nice coin for the grade Jeff.

• Options

I believe I have the 1911 San Francisco variety of the Larger S over the Smaller S. This 1911-S Barber Quarter is a PCGS XF40 #26437862

A close-up image of the mintmark:

• Options

Nice XF 11-S, Tim, tough to find with or without the RPM.

Pics for this PM, P62:

Vern
    l

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file