Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

A tougher date 1913-P Barber Quarter at my favorite grade level:

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you guys think that the dime set is doable in an album in XF/AU? I think that the 95O would need to remain graded due to the high cost. Thoughts??

• Options
    FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭✭

Picked these up at a show over the weekend. All are new to my album other than the 09 which is a slight upgrade.

• Options

@erwindoc said:
    Do you guys think that the dime set is doable in an album in XF/AU? I think that the 95O would need to remain graded due to the high cost. Thoughts??

I can think of some O or S-mints that will be just as tough in acquiring nice. They will also be somewhat expensive enough to keep or obtain in-holder. '94-O, '96-O, '03-S come to mind.

• Options

My "former" YN was excited about this win tonight in AU58. I think the color is simply stellar. Plan will be to submit to CAC:

• T

• Options

A close-up view of that '14-D:

• Options

A little bit of funk going on with this 1895-S Barber Dime mintmark NGC AU55:

Some south action:

This specimen my YN didn't end-up winning in the previous Heritage Auction.

• Options

Another Newp. Opinions requested: reverse doubled right wing tip? Machine doubled? Tougher date 1898-S Half Dollar in ICG MS60:

• T

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tim MS-60 on the half seems a bit harsh to me. It's not like it's full of bag marks or especially unattractive.

• Options

@jedm said:
    Tim MS-60 on the half seems a bit harsh to me. It's not like it's full of bag marks or especially unattractive.

It was a bit of a gamble-grab as the bad auction pics were really unworthy of a bid from me. I gave it a go. Questionable whether I like it enough yet to keep it but thanks for your comments Jed.

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeff - AU53

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

erwindoc - a barber dime set in XF/AU is going to be difficult, and take years if you want problem free, reasonably original examples. But the hunt will be fun IMO. Good luck if you choose to start.

Tim - that's a pretty good looking 98-S for a 60. Are there hairlines that the tone obscures?

Pics for this AM, from an acquaintance's collection a few years back, P58:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19, 2022 4:06AM

@erwindoc said:

I have been working on the set in AU for years, a really fun set to try to complete.

However, I have taken a side step into Bust 1/2's for a few years now.
    But, I am back!

I would need 7 in XF or AU to complete the set - which is raw.

This doesn't include slabbed ones, which could make the total I need lower

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@sedulous said:
    Here is another newp.

My pics taken today came out a little more earthy-toned from my initial snaps. I will work some more on my imaging. The coin looks great in hand.

• Options
    edited May 22, 2022 2:37PM

Here is a recent newp that arrived yesterday. I liked the die crack at the "D" in UNITED, the "U" in QUARTER, and a little something below the "O" eminating from the first "L" in DOLLAR:

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a Quarter purchased at FUN in January- I don't believe I posted it previously. A 1900 O Type I/ II in an ANACS MS 60 holder:

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    conrad99conrad99 Posts: 372 ✭✭✭

That's a spectacular quarter, Jeff. And—along with the ICG half just upthread—grievously undergraded IMHO.

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    Here's a Quarter purchased at FUN in January- I don't believe I posted it previously. A 1900 O Type I/ II in an ANACS MS 60 holder:

Are you thinking AU58 with a crossover Jeff? Slight brush of wear at the cheekbone and upper right shield point.

• Options

Tim- I agree it looks like there's a little wear on the high points, but I'm not going to bother sending it to PCGS. For now it's just part of my 1900 Hub Set, it wouldn't be part of a Registry set.

• Options

@JeffMTampa Gotcha, will be a nice addition

@conrad99 welcome and thanks for the kind words

@barberkeys Vern, your '98-S sure is pleasant! I am sure you enjoy looking at that half dollar from time to time.

To invigorate the thread, here is a specimen I have not shared before:

• T

• Options

To invigorate the thread, here is a specimen I have not shared before:

• T

Tough date- nice coin.

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭✭✭

Turn of the century fine art:

• Options

@Eldorado9 said:
    Turn of the century fine art:

Wowzers!

• Options

This was the the coin I was waiting for from Heritage. Needless to say, I was thrilled....beauty and a great date/mm.

• Options

This David Kahn newp was an inexpensive purchase in lieu of what I found. This is an 1892-O Barber Quarter in NGC AU-58 holder. The beauty of this is that it is an undesignated FS-901 and an excellent crossover candidate for our host's variety specification.

• T

• Options

@Eldorado9 said:
    This was the the coin I was waiting for from Heritage. Needless to say, I was thrilled....beauty and a great date/mm.

Empeccable quality and fantastic color on that '05'O Eldo!

• Options

@sedulous said:
    This David Kahn newp was an inexpensive purchase in lieu of what I found. This is an 1892-O Barber Quarter in NGC AU-58 holder. The beauty of this is that it is an undesignated FS-901 and an excellent crossover candidate for our host's variety specification.

• T

Nice find, Tim!

• Options

@sedulous said:

@Eldorado9 said:

Empeccable quality and fantastic color on that '05'O Eldo!

Thank you buddy, I thought so too. In general it's hard to go wrong with Ex. Steve Duckor coins. In hand, the luster just explodes off the surfaces, with an intensity I've rarely seen....It does appear completely undipped and original to me. One of the better looking Barbers I've seen, and an 05-o to boot!

• Options

Won this one last night! Cool pull away toning on the date. Im nearing completion on my MS date set!

• Options

Can I get some opinions on this dime regarding the toning? The atypical greenish toning make me wonder if its PVC or just regular toning.

• Options

@erwindoc said:
    Can I get some opinions on this dime regarding the toning? The atypical greenish toning make me wonder if its PVC or just regular toning.

That just looks like good ol' fashioned nice original toning to me. PS I've got an 04-o half with very similar green splashes, and it's def not PVC.

• Options

@erwindoc said:

Jason, What I see is all the high points of the design having a deeper blue-green tone. The coin must have been in contact with something that accelerated the toning. I would say you have low risk of PVC. I agree with Eldo @Eldorado9. Tim

• Options

@erwindoc Check out the green in the 04-o Looks very similar:

• Options
    DarrellDarrell Posts: 87 ✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2022 1:12PM

Eldorado I did not know that you have that 1904-o half. I use to own it years ago. The reverse on it is incredible. One would need to see it in person to appreciate it.

• Options

@Darrell said:
    Eldorado I did not know that you have that 1904-o half. I use to own it years ago. The reverse on it is incredible. One would need to see it in person to appreciate it.

Yup, it's in my set here: https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/half-dollars/barber-half-dollars-major-sets/barber-half-dollars-basic-set-circulation-strikes-proof-1892-1915/imagegallery/220105

It's a truly fantastic coin. You are right, the reverse is enough to stop you in your tracks. The luster is just ridiculous on that coin. Do you know where it came from, provenance?

• Options

@Darrell said:

This was yours too right?

• Options
    DarrellDarrell Posts: 87 ✭✭✭

Eldorado,

I found my printout of Joe O'Connor's website from when I purchased it in March 2010. It states that it was ex:
    Superior 5/1993, lot 584 and
    Heritage 1/2010, lot 2558 @ $21,850 PCGS 66.

And yes I did own the Ducker/Shireman 1907 PCGS 67+. I also used to own the 1905s Eliasberg in 67.
    I sold all of my Barbers when I started collecting bust coins.

• Options

1902-S in PC45...

• Options

A tougher date in XF.

• Options

I hear the '07-S half is a tougher date according to advanced collectors who are "in the know":

• T

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:
    I hear the '07-S half is a tougher date according to advanced collectors who are "in the know":

• T

agreed, a tougher date.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

In AU 55- 58 it's extremely difficult- there are only 10 PCGS examples of each grade.

• Options

Barber Article recently made available from Jeff Garrett...
    https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/10274/barber-coinage/

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:
    Barber Article recently made available from Jeff Garrett...
    https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/10274/barber-coinage/

I would challenge him to build those mid-grade sets at anywhere his estimates!

• Options

Here's a Barber Quarter that showed up in the mail yesterday back from the grading room. I purchased it at FUN in January in a PCI MS 62 holder. It's a Type I Reverse (scarcer) and I thought it had a decent look:

Who says all coins in PCI slabs are bad?

• Options

Sweet looking '92 BQ!

• Options

Have you ever been disappointed when a coin submitted to our hosts receives an upgrade from the slab it came out of? I am.

Earlier this year I purchased a sweet looking 1910 S Barber Half in an NGC MS 61 holder (at a premium price). looking at the listing photos I saw it as a lightly circulated coin. Looking at the coin in hand it was amazing, and I saw a luster break across the cheek. My Everyman Half Set had an AU 55 as its best- I needed an AU 58. I had been looking for one for years with no luck; I was hoping I could make one.

The coin was cracked out of its holder and submitted to PCGS in early April. It returned this week- not as an AU 58:

I love the look of the coin, but I sure wish it was in a 58 holder. It's hard to say if the coin is worth more as a 58 or 62.

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    Have you ever been disappointed when a coin submitted to our hosts receives an upgrade from the slab it came out of? I am.

Earlier this year I purchased a sweet looking 1910 S Barber Half in an NGC MS 61 holder (at a premium price). looking at the listing photos I saw it as a lightly circulated coin. Looking at the coin in hand it was amazing, and I saw a luster break across the cheek. My Everyman Half Set had an AU 55 as its best- I needed an AU 58. I had been looking for one for years with no luck; I was hoping I could make one.

The coin was cracked out of its holder and submitted to PCGS in early April. It returned this week- not as an AU 58:

I love the look of the coin, but I sure wish it was in a 58 holder. It's hard to say if the coin is worth more as a 58 or 62.

Well. its a great looking coin....That is some beautiful rim toning.

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dave99B said:
    My VF little 09-O quarter. A decent buy two+ decades ago. Hard to located in un-messed with condition.

Happy Saturday,
    Dave

Want to double your money? :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file