Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A morning at Long Beach

JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 18, 2022 9:54AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Made the 45 minute trek to LB without incident. Did notice lots of trucks coming and going out of the Port of Long Beach which was a welcome sight.

The 10 am opening line to get in:

Attendance seemed rather robust as did activity for the 3 hours I was there. Mornings are generally busy and then it thins out after 2.

My goal was to visit with dealer friends, catch up on family and such and pick some brains. No secret uber nice coins are in short supply. I tend to do business with boutique dealers and the challenge for them is daunting. I left a rather small but challenging want list with two of them.

Man, if you have "stuff" laying around that you don't LOVE now is a great time to think about selling. Collectors appetites are very healthy. FYI make no mistake about it there is a lot of new young blood coming into the hobby. The taste range is wide. True Rarities and kaleidoscope toned coins are the sweet spots. Under appreciated world coins have also quietly ramped up. The bargains from 2-5 years ago are gone but IMHO there is still a lot of meat left on the bone. Prices can still run.

Caught up with my dog loving brother from another mother Bill Shamhart and good collector friend Mike Stefano from Indiana. The latter was a complete surprise. This made my day. I love these guys. Kindred spirits plus I always learn something new from them.

The main attraction The Tyrant Collection US Type Set wasn't quite set up yet but you will get the idea from the pics. Stellar is an understatement

3 hours well spent. The LB Show is alive and well

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Comments

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome! Great to see so many back to shows. You caught that 1879 Flowing Hair Stella at just the right angle to get the mirrors to really shine. Lucky shot I guess lol!

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ha! You caught me in one of your photos in line for the show. The Tyrant Collection was incredible. They were not finished fully setting up the exhibit when I checked it out, but even what was already on display was many millions worth of the nicest coins I’ve ever seen.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report and pics. Seems like I was just there. Wish I could have made this one, but a Las Vegas trip got in the way. I'll shoot for the summer show for sure. Long Beach is a great show!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

thanks for the reports and all the pics!

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if the buyer I of the NGC black label is going to crack out and resubmit.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

So coooool Mark!
    I love your fresh perspective on a show report. Very easy-going, professional with no fluff.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Enjoyed the report! Thanks.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad that you were able to enjoy the show. :)

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

We’re they selling the tyrant books there?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2022 8:07PM

@MsMorrisine said:
    We’re they selling the tyrant books there?

The booth wasn't open. Not sure. I took a pamphlet listing the coins with pics. Haven't looked at it yet

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent report, thank you.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

What was the line like at the PCGS $45 walk through?

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report. As an East Coaster, LB is the one big show I have never made it to. But hope to some day.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pocketpiececommems said:
    What was the line like at the PCGS $45 walk through?

Not very long.

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kaz said:
    thanks for the reports and all the pics!

Ditto

• Options
    Shrub68Shrub68 Posts: 201 ✭✭✭

Great observation on Shamhart and Stefano! They are good friends and I have the utmost respect for both of them! Very knowledgeable!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman... Great report and great pictures. Were masks mandatory? Don't see masks much around here anymore. That Tyrant collection is awesome - might have to make a major show where it will be displayed... Would spend most of my time looking at those gold coins. @pointfivezero... Thanks for your additional pictures, love those green PCGS holders. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those pictures of the “rare” plastic and paper and mostly very common coins with prices beyond moon money I refer to as Uranus money if you think I would pay that, was a reminder why I do not like the big shows. Even though most coins there don’t have prices that high 99% are still Uranus if you think I can’t do better elsewhere.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report and pics.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pointfivezero Those two first generation black NGC slabs that you showed have stickers marked "SOLD $30K" which is insane. Do they really bring that much these days? I bought one just like it with a different date Saint for $5K a few years ago just to get that very rare slab.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing, looks like a good time was had by all...

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    @pointfivezero Those two first generation black NGC slabs that you showed have stickers marked "SOLD $30K" which is insane. Do they really bring that much these days? I bought one just like it with a different date Saint for $5K a few years ago just to get that very rare slab.

Last I know of that traded hands was more around 10.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    LewLew Posts: 170 ✭✭✭

The picture with the various old holders on top of pages 170 and 171 of a book that looks like is titled "Real American Treasure".
    Is this book available at retail?
    Is there an outlet for this book?

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like the show was really well attended. I'm not surprised. Collectors want personal contact. I plan on attending my first coin show in two years on Sunday. It is a large 75 table club show in the Detroit area and I expect it will be heavily attended.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the show report. Thank you so much!
    Looks like a blast!

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options

@PerryHall said:

They’re not sold they’re bait. People pay his prices so should you. When dealers sell coins the buyer takes it with them or it’s placed behind them out of the way until they’re paid.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks to all for the show reports and awesome pictures, especially the Tyrant collection.
    Any info on bullion silver prices?
    Again, thanks.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2022 1:15PM

@DelawareDoons said:

@PerryHall said:

Last I know of that traded hands was more around 10.

All I can say is they were available on my first lap around the bourse and sold by my second lap so yes, $15K for a 1.0 Saint is the current going rate. I know I paid five figures for a common date Morgan recently.

Edit to add - heading back to the show in a few minutes so I’ll check to see how much of that case is sold now. There were two other tables with NGC White Labels so I’ll check on those too.

Tim

• Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks @Justacommeman for a nice write up. I love Long Beach, but I was unable to be there today. Seeing your report helped some. It looked so warm and sunny and a busy bourse as well. Gotta love it. Next time for sure.

And thaniks @pointfivezero for your addition.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for your report.

I was there but was too lazy to take pictures. My experience was quite similar to yours. I looked at a few coins but was there mostly to socialize and network. I left around 1:30 and it wasn’t overly crowded.

Surprisingly the line at the PCGS table was relatively short.

The Tyrant Collection is amazing. The 1795 $10 may be the nicest coin I’ve ever seen.

• Options

I just finished scouring @Justacommeman pictures again with my 10x loupe as I knew I had to be in at least one of panorama shots. Sure enough, I'm 99% sure this is me:

Zoomed in a bit:

Tim

• Options

One last picture. No caption needed:

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice report - love the rare plastic pictures!

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pointfivezero said:

Funny, last year that was the $1.50 table.....

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

@JimTyler said:
    Those pictures of the “rare” plastic and paper and mostly very common coins with prices beyond moon money I refer to as Uranus money if you think I would pay that, was a reminder why I do not like the big shows. Even though most coins there don’t have prices that high 99% are still Uranus if you think I can’t do better elsewhere.

I often pay less at the shows than I do over the Internet. The reason is that I can negotiate better. Another reason is that I can see the coin in person. A third reason is that I can shop the floor and compare the offerings and the prices. Many coins don't make it to the Internet.

Before Covid, most of my purchases were made a shows in person. It's the best way to buy in my opinion.

I too favor in person purchasing, like to examine mdse. hands on. Personal negotiating usually a plus. However, one cannot always find in person what is being looked for. So, in such a case the Net is most useful for that search.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super report with cool pics ad well

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    The main attraction The Tyrant Collection US Type Set wasn't quite set up yet but you will get the idea from the pics. Stellar is an understatement

Very nice. I'm amazed by how much text there is for each coin including provenance and description. Here's a close up of one showing the text.

I wonder who writes this. Does Tyrant have someone on staff to write this? Is it from Ron Guth's writing's on PCGS CoinFacts?

• Options
    edited February 19, 2022 4:26AM

@pointfivezero said:
    I was a bit camera shy due to all these signs:

Is even that photo allowed? :o

• Options

@pointfivezero said:

[...]

Amazing coins and slabs! :+1:

It's a treat to see these!

Are all gold in NGC black upside down? Or were they rotated to get that way?

• Options

@Zoins said:

@pointfivezero said:

[...]

That's actually the back side of the slab. The marketing geniuses who design the first generation NGC slab decided to put the label on the back of the slab. They felt the NGC logo should be prominently displayed on the front of the slab to promote the brand. They were obviously not coin collectors or coin dealers. Also, collectors and dealers hated the black background since brown copper didn't stand out with such a dark background. This is why the slab design was quickly changed. For these reasons, most of the black first generations slabbed coins were subsequently reholdered in the newer styled NGC holders.

• Options
    edited February 19, 2022 4:26AM

@PerryHall said:

@Zoins said:

@pointfivezero said:

[...]

That's actually the back side of the slab. The marketing geniuses who design the first generation NGC slab decided to put the label on the back of the slab. They felt the NGC logo should be prominently displayed on the front of the slab to promote the brand. They were obviously not coin collectors or coin dealers. Also, collectors and dealers hated the black background since brown copper didn't stand out with such a dark background. This is why the slab design was quickly changed. For these reasons, most of the black first generations slabbed coins were subsequently reholdered in the newer styled NGC holders.

Good info. Always good to see the other side.

Regarding the change, does that mean copperheads are more influential than goldbugs?

• Options

@Zoins said:

@PerryHall said:

@Zoins said:

@pointfivezero said:

[...]

Good info. Always good to see the other side.

Regarding the change, does that mean copperheads are more influential than goldbugs?

The primary reason the slab was redesigned was because the label was on the back of the slab. When dealers displayed these slabs in their cases at shows, they had to add their own label to the front of the slab or display the slab upside down.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SurfinxHI said:

@pointfivezero said:

Funny, last year that was the $1.50 table.....

Inflation

• Options

@BillJones said:

@JimTyler said:

I often pay less at the shows than I do over the Internet. The reason is that I can negotiate better. Another reason is that I can see the coin in person. A third reason is that I can shop the floor and compare the offerings and the prices. Many coins don't make it to the Internet.

Before Covid, most of my purchases were made a shows in person. It's the best way to buy in my opinion.

My guess is you’ve been around long enough and know those dealers. We don’t get much of a better price actually sometimes lucky to not be ignored. How many hundreds are spent on planes, rooms, restaurants to get the good deal ? Most of the time there are just too many coins like finding the proverbial needle in a haystack. I use to do shows all the time and loved them like many do here but the internet came around now better photos but still mostly prices I won’t pay. At least the hunt cost near nothing and I do find something worthwhile now and then. Enjoy the show.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file