Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I love the 1980s! The ultimate unopened rip quest to build Topps, Fleer, Donruss PSA 10 sets...

Comments

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks!

Now you are hitting on my Mariner’s teams of the 90’s with Jr and the crew. Randy was just devastating to hitters. Solid choice there for sure!

• Options
    edited February 8, 2022 9:21PM

10 x 2 on the 87 Bellingham. Impressive. Hard to get those without out tilt issues.

Jr has some nice collectible 87 and 88 cards. Most have gained some nice traction recently and held strong.

• Options
    tulsaboytulsaboy Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    Shifting gears to 1988, the next player on my list lead MLB in hits during the decade of the 90s. The Cubs were always on WGN and so Harry Carey was my window to learning the game of baseball at a young age. Mark Grace burst onto the scene as a batting title contender who could hit with power and field with a gold glove. I remember meeting him at a baseball card show signing when I was in middle school, and he was a true gentleman. He was the first superstar that I ever met in person.

His 1988 Score Rookie & Traded always seemed to be the most out of reach as a young collector. I remember filling a 9-pocket pages with his Donruss and Fleer rookies, but the Score rookie was much more limited in my area. Gracie will always hold a strong place in my 80’s collecting heart!

Like you, I remember meeting him at a baseball card show in Tulsa where he was the featured autograph guest. At that annual show he followed Mantle and Bench from the two years before, so the promoters must have thought pretty highly of him! He was very nice, and I still have my autographed ball from that meeting. I always thought with his consistency and how he played the game that he would end up a hall of famer. Even though he hasn't gotten there, he is still one of my favorites. Back in 88-89, finding a Mark Grace rookie made for a really good day!
    Thanks for sharing.
    kevin

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    As Nic will attest, the top rookie of 1989 is also the greatest player of his generation. No one since Mickey Mantle has captured the imagination of baseball fans like Ken Griffey, Jr. If you collected during the 80s and 90s, Griffey was the cornerstone of any modern collection. His wide smile, backwards cap, beautiful HR swing and insane glove in CF placed him at the top of collector’s want lists. There was no bigger baseball card in the 80s than Griffey’s Upper Deck RC. Had he not struggled with injuries after age 30, we would be talking about Junior as a top five all-time great. Despite the injuries, he still sits in most discussions as a top 25 all-time player.

So I diverge in both ways from this. First, the 1989 Upper Deck is one of the big three iconic cards in the baseball card hobby (not comparing other sports) with the T206 Wagner and the 1952 Topps Mantle. It' not close and there likely will never be a fourth card to capture everyone's imagination like these three have.

Second, it is hard for me to make a definition of "his generation" that puts Griffey in the top five greatest players of his generation. Yes, what might have been if he hadn't been finished at 30. But we can't give awards based on that.

• Options

I agree with your choice of the Score traded. My favorite of his too!

• Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭✭✭

If not for his questionable character moments, Roberto Alomar would be held in the highest esteem of historic second baseman. A two time World Series champion, Alomar was a central figure in helping win those titles. With over 2700 hits and 10 gold gloves, he easily ranks in the top 10 second baseman of all time. No 80s collection is complete without Alomar‘s key rookie card.

• Options

I am with you on the Alomar, other than I always choose base vs traded in a given year, so my nod goes to the 88D.

Edgar, we’ll said there!

• Options

One of only 24 pitchers in the history of MLB to amass 300+ wins, a 2x Cy Young winner, 28th overall in pitching WAR, the MVP of the 1995 World Series, 29th in all-time strikeouts and a 1st ballot HOFer with over 91% of the votes. Imagine these mind blowing stats and not even being the best pitcher on your team!?!? Tom Glavine is the most underrated pitcher of this decade of rookies, because he had to live in the shadow of Greg Maddux. If you are a fan of the 80s or a collector of HOFers, then Tom is a “must have.” Fleer was the brand of choice in 1988, so it closely edged out his Donruss RC for me.

• Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 723 ✭✭✭✭

The 88D Alomar and Grace were the first “big” rookie cards that I acquired in quantity. It was incredible to me that 88Donruss was freely available after barely ever seeing 87D, and when I did see them they were $1 per 87D pck. Then 88F began surfacing in stores and that was mind blowing to me as 87F was even more scarce than 87D. As a kid I thought I had stumbled into massive lucky runs at these local stores. When in reality, the spigot was not only turned on, but re-engineered to push out more volume than ever before. By the end of 88 there was definitely a rebalancing of value in my mind and an appreciation for the “under printed” issues of 87F and D.

Glavine wasn’t even a thought to any of us in 1988. But what a powerful argument for most underrated of his era.

John

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 878 ✭✭✭✭✭

i really like all of the autograph cards.

• Options

@lwehlers said:
    i really like all of the autograph cards.

Thanks. I appreciate it. I have gotten into such a kick of having an auto + game relic of the biggest stars of the 80s to pair with their RC. Been a fun collecting project.

• Options

@jordangretzkyfan you sure are right about centering challenges on the 87D. Nice examples you have! Love each day these are revealed!

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

How in the world are those cards 9's?

OMG.

Beautiful! 1987 Fleer is my favorite modern card design.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

Looking at all these 1987 rookies has me itching for a rip tonight. Back to where I went all in with 1987 Topps…

• Options

Hope you have better luck than I did!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

^ I love a common card that in my youth I’d consider garbage takes on the same aura as a coveted rookie when it’s perfectly centered…at least now that we’re 30+ years out haha. Funny how perception and context can change things. Thanks as always!

• Options

@MParker79 said:
    ^ I love a common card that in my youth I’d consider garbage takes on the same aura as a coveted rookie when it’s perfectly centered…at least now that we’re 30+ years out haha. Funny how perception and context can change things. Thanks as always!

Great insight…I am with you. When all elements of condition are perfect, these common cards become tiny little works of art in my eye too 🤣

• Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:

This was an easy choice in RC as the 1986 Donruss Rated Rookie is his only pack pulled solo appearance. No offense to Fred Toliver, but I prefer Galarraga by himself.

Sweet cards. But make that two possible from packs... Don't forget the Leaf version, eh?

-Nathanael

• Options

The other half of the “Bash Brothers“ is up next. Mark McGwire unleashed home runs at a rate faster than any other player in MLB history at only 10.6 At Bats per HR. He started this pace as a rookie in 1987, smashing 49 home runs and setting the then record for a rookie season. If you have not yet watched ESPN 30-for-30 Long Gone Summer, you need to see this documentary. The home run race of 1998 was widely regarded as bringing baseball back from the near death of the 1994-1995 strike. With McGwire and Sosa chasing headlines on ESPN every night, fans started to regain their love for one of the worlds greatest sports! Too many collectors get hung up on the PED focus and forget the massive role that Mark McGwire played in the history of baseball. He is an icon of the 80s and his 1985 Topps OLY RC is a top 5 card from the era. I never tire of looking at this card and thinking back to desperately wanting it as a kid.

• Options
    emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

"
    "
    4th year anniversary coming up.
    One of the coolest threads available to the hobby.
    Your dedication has been exemplary

• Options

@emar said:

"
    "
    4th year anniversary coming up.
    One of the coolest threads available to the hobby.
    Your dedication has been exemplary

Wow…I’m flattered you remembered the anniversary of this thread. I appreciate it! Yes, tomorrow will mark 4 years of this amazing quest to build perfect sets from my childhood collecting days. Funny to see how the hobby has evolved over this timespan from a massive influx of new collectors, to the rapid rise of prices across unopened and iconic singles, to the limiting of grading services and massive increase in fees. I wouldn’t change this experience for anything as it has been a continual trip down memory lane for me. Ok, I might change grading fees back down to the $8/card bulk sub level, but nothing other than that 🙂

• Options

Next up for the 1985 rookies that made my all-time 80’s list is Orel Hershiser. Talk about a dominate pitcher for this era. With over 200 wins, a Cy Young award and a World Series MVP on his resume, I am always perplexed at how Orel doesn’t capture more hobby love. His 59 consecutive scoreless innings is a record that still stands, and is a tribute to just how dominate he was during the late 80s.

His 1985 Fleer RC was the obvious choice for me. This card is deceptively hard to find centered in a PSA 9 or better condition. Orel is a must have for any Dodgers fan or 1980’s collector.

• Options

This thread is just great! I’ve noticed you focus on well centered 9’s, instead of 10’s…so you think that’s the best value? Personally I’ve shied from any 10 because on many I can find flaws that for me would bump them down to a 9…mainly centering. Anyway, thanks again for this thread!

• Options

@MParker79 said:
    This thread is just great! I’ve noticed you focus on well centered 9’s, instead of 10’s…so you think that’s the best value? Personally I’ve shied from any 10 because on many I can find flaws that for me would bump them down to a 9…mainly centering. Anyway, thanks again for this thread!

Thanks for the kind words! Yes, I think dead centered PSA 9 are a much better value when buying already graded versus the premium the market is currently placing on PSA 10. Similar to you, I can almost always find a centering or print imperfection on many PSA 10 cards I see for sale. I have actually had good luck in the past cracking a group of dead centered PSA 9 and then resubbing them. At least a handful seem to come back as dimes the second time around. That’s why I focus on strongly centered 9s. You have to be patient and picky, but a really strong 9 is often as strong eye appeal as a 10.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    The last of my 1985 selections is none other than “Eric the Red.” If injuries didn’t take a toll during his career, we might be talking about another 500 HR and 500 SB player from the 80s. A perennial 30/30 threat, Davis ran like a gazelle while still having massive pop from his thin and lanky frame. A 3x gold glove winner, Davis was at the top of most want lists from 1986-1990.

I've posted this link before in other threads whenever the topic of the speed and power combination of Eric Davis comes up. Those of you that's read it already, my apologies. For those of you not quite familiar with just how amazing Davis was before injury problems took hold, prepare to be amazed...
    https://www.mlb.com/news/eric-davis-put-up-video-game-stats-for-reds-c279109048

• Options

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    Always a fun rip. Lots of stars and rookies that miss the PSA 10 mark, but look cool in their ever growing piles…

>
    LOVE the Puckett!

• Options

A well centered 84D Carter is a thing of beauty. Thanks for showing!

• Options

@jordangretzkyfan said:

@Frozencaribou said:

Sweet cards. But make that two possible from packs... Don't forget the Leaf version, eh?

-Nathanael

Yah, dat dare was an overlook by me, eh? Excellent catch!

There was no bigger RC in the back half of the 80s than the 1986 Donruss Jose Canseco. While the Griffey UD rookie is the more iconic, that card didn’t really take off until 1990. I remember the 86D Canseco jumping from $15 to $125 nearly overnight as Jose demolished the baseball and base paths during the 1988 season. A beastly, bulging man in a blue leisure suit (yes, Christmas Vacation is my favorite holiday movie)…Jose was a menacing opponent to any pitcher. A 6x all-star, the original 40/40 man, over 450 HR and a dating stint with Madonna made Jose a seeming lock for the HOF. Unfortunately, the confirmation of his steroid use changed his role in the game forever as he shed first light on the rampant use of PEDs in the 80s/90s. Personally, I am thankful Canseco was candid about the sport and for that he clearly belongs in my 80s collection HOF.

Love it Chris!

The 86D canseco was mythical. I acquired one at $9 at a show in Edison, Nj.

86D packs were only at shows and $10 per

Never saw someone open one much less opened one myself. So when I rolled back into collecting in 2011, the 86D packs were top of mind.

Thanks to the unopened guys here who inspired me to aspire to an unopened collection.

I’m thrilled to have my modest 86D collection. As a kid in 87/88, this would have been insane!

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options

• Options
    edited February 27, 2022 5:24AM

@NJ80sBBC said:

That 86D collection is a thing of beauty, John! I love the counter display case. I think display cases are very underrated and show the era beautifully…takes me back to the local general store days as a kid!