Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I love the 1980s! The ultimate unopened rip quest to build Topps, Fleer, Donruss PSA 10 sets...

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

YES!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bring it on.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    Merry Christmas to this forum. I hope you are all getting to spend time with loved ones and take a moment to pause on the blessings in life. I know I am grateful for those around me, good health and the fun this hobby provides in pure nostalgia. Next up for Day 5 is a 1986 Topps Rack Box. Seems like a big-daddy rack box will provide lots of family entertainment between meals, presents, NBA and NFL games. Plus this is such a classic set design with gorgeous photos on key cards like Mattingly, Davis, Boggs, Puckett and Gooden. Maybe some will be hiding on the tops of packs after all these untouched years. Here we go…

I thought Sandberg was the key to the set?

• Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 722 ✭✭✭✭

While others will ogle over the Ryan. That Gooden is lights out man.

He was as good as it gets in terms of impact player and his cards were insane awesome action shots.

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options

I am one of those ogling over the Ryan.

That's a beauty!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Bearkat21Bearkat21 Posts: 271 ✭✭✭

Haven't been on this site in a few months. First thing I did was check for updates on this. Love following what you are doing.

• Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Bearkat21…I appreciate the kind words!

Day 7 is a 1984 Topps vending box. Loved the Strawberry and Mattingly RCs from this set as a kid. Those were my first “big” purchases back in the day. Here we go…

• Options
    azvikeazvike Posts: 364 ✭✭✭

Good Luck!

• Options

Awesome. Plus 2 Yanks cards!

I’ve opened a lot of 1984 since I returned to hobby. I had never opened a pack in my life before the return and never owned the Mattingly. So much fun pulling his card now. It was a monster back in the day. Since then I’ve pulled a couple 84Donruss and several 84Topps. It certainly never gets old.

John

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options

@jordangretzkyfan said:

I was happy to find 12 candidates for PSA 10 in this box. The Cobra was the biggest name in this group…

Two HoFers and Parker is the big name???

• Options
    In4apennyIn4apenny Posts: 298 ✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing with us on you trip down memory lane. Always enjoy your posts. Have not been on this side of the forum in a while, been searching boxes of Kennedy Halves. Last box of BB that I ripped was 1992 UD some time ago. Happy New Year. Cheers.

• Options
    edited December 28, 2021 9:23PM

That Strawberry is SWEET!

Is the Mattingly blurry or are they all like that? Face looks out of focus?

• Options
    erbaerba Posts: 289 ✭✭✭✭

Great results with some serious star power. Congrats!!

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

Thanks Joe. The Mattingly looks to have the same focus as the others I have pulled over the years. Might be my poor photo skills 🙂

@erba said:

I appreciate it!

Day 9 is a 1983 Topps vending box. Cheers to Brett (mrpeanut39) and his awesome quest to hand build a perfect 1983 set. That was part of my inspiration to start this crazy journey…

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2021 9:39AM

@jordangretzkyfan said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Thanks Joe. The Mattingly looks to have the same focus as the others I have pulled over the years. Might be my poor photo skills 🙂

@erba said:

I appreciate it!

Day 9 is a 1983 Topps vending box. Cheers to Brett (mrpeanut39) and his awesome quest to hand build a perfect 1983 set. That was part of my inspiration to start this crazy journey…

I hand built my 1978 Topps baseball graded set (for the most part). Can't imagine doing something like that today.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

SWEET!!!!!!

• Options
    Browns1981Browns1981 Posts: 455 ✭✭✭✭✭

2 mint Mike Fischlins!

• Options

@jordangretzkyfan said:

Two of the more comical cards of the 80s, so I thought I would show a photo of these…

You should definitely grade the Hubbard. A 9 sold in September for over $300.

https://psacard.com/auctionprices/baseball-cards/1984-fleer/glenn-hubbard/auction/-5502882629739450923

• Options

@daltex said:

@jordangretzkyfan said:

Two of the more comical cards of the 80s, so I thought I would show a photo of these…

You should definitely grade the Hubbard. A 9 sold in September for over $300.

https://psacard.com/auctionprices/baseball-cards/1984-fleer/glenn-hubbard/auction/-5502882629739450923

I would have never guessed that. It is with the recycling center now 🤣

Day 10 is a 1982 Topps baseball vending box. Here we go…

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

Remember the incredible rookie class through the ‘82 season - Kent Hrbek, Chili Davis, Steve Sax, Von Hayes, Johnny Ray and of course the one we all still want - Cal Ripken, Jr.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you resumed ripping! Have a happy new year!

• Options
    RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you doing ‘81 topps too? Beautiful cards!!

• Options

>

>
    WOW and another WOW!

I did notice a print dot to the right of his hat, but still WOW!

• Options

The Lee Smith card is still beautiful.

• Options

Happy New Year! Love the rips, I’ve said this before but when I got back in the hobby 1982 was the year to have from 1981-1985. Now it’s lucky to have 2nd billing behind 1983. With 85 and 81 breathing hard right behind it.

Good luck on 1980!

John

• Options

Thank you for these past 12 days, been great traveling back in time in a sense. Cheers!

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

Love the 80 and 81s. Thank posting these rips.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options

Some real beauties!

• Options

@MParker79 said:
    Thank you for these past 12 days, been great traveling back in time in a sense. Cheers!

I appreciate your comment. Sharing the results with others who love the hobby is what this is all about. Happy New Year!

@ldferg said:
    Love the 80 and 81s. Thank posting these rips.

Thanks David! There will be more of each in the future 🙂

@JoeBanzai said:
    Some real beauties!

Thanks Joe. I always enjoy your posts and your hobby knowledge. Happy New Year my friend.

• Options

Happy New Year to you and thanks for posting!

• Options

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    After the holiday rip fest, I thought it would be fun to share one of my side projects. I have been collecting what I consider to be the top baseball players who had their RC in the 1980s. Incidentally with the new ESPN “All-Time” Top 100 baseball players list just being published, it was fun to see a handful of these 1980s guys make the “all-time” list.

At any rate, I originally was targeting the top 25 rookies of the 80s, but my nostalgia got the best of me and I wound up with 32. There were a couple sentimental favorites that I just had to have from my childhood that will mean more to me than other fellow collectors. I have been collecting (2) dead centered PSA 9 or PSA 10 of each player’s key rookie and (1) autographed relic card. There is something cool to me about having a gorgeous rookie paired with their signature and a piece of game used material. These auto relic cards didn’t exist in the 80s, but are a beautiful addition to this awesome hobby.

I thought I would share one player a day over the next month, starting in 1989 and working backward to 1980. Hopefully this sparks some fun memories for folks and I always welcome debate on who should or should not have made my list.

This first player is one of the most inspirational to me. While certainly not an elite statistical player, Jim transformed what was possible when born without one hand. Not only did he dominate at the amateur level (winning a gold medal for Team USA), but he also competed at the MLB level. An MLB all-star and pitcher of a no-hitter make Abbott a must have on my 1980’s icons list. Plus his #1 Draft Pick rookie was absolute gold as a kid. Unfortunately, he is the only player I have not yet found an auto relic card for, so I am settling for this on-card auto for now…

Great project! It is somewhat similar to my 1975-1995 rookie set. Fun to build what you are interested in!

• Options

The 89T #1 draft pick cards still look great and the Abbott really highlights the set. This was probably the height of collecting for me as a kid. Opened a ton of those cards. Incidentally, the 88TT was also an epic set with the Team USA cards, including another Abbott.

What he accomplished is difficult to comprehend. Simply amazing.

Great project and looking forward to the next post.

John

• Options
    StatsGuyStatsGuy Posts: 100 ✭✭✭

Love the thread and project. Truly takes me back to memory lane.

Gretzky,Ripken, and Sandberg collection. Still trying to complete 1975 Topps baseball set from when I was a kid.

• Options

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    Thanks for the kind words Nic and John!

Up next is who I view as the most undervalued rookie of the 1989 group. Gary was among the top prospects of 1989 alongside Griffey, Abbott, Ventura, Sabo and Sandy Alomar. While he admitted to using an external PED (“the cream”) to rehab his surgically repaired knee in the 2002 season, Gary never tested positive for any PED use once testing was implemented in 2004. He also never had a monster outlier year statistically, just a consistent all-star. With his 509 HRs and a .907 OPS that matches HOFers Mike Schmidt and Ken Griffey, Jr., Sheffield should be in the HOF. Add to it his 250+ stolen bases and 9x All-Star appearances and you have one of the most feared hitters of his generation. Now that the HOF is letting in known PED users (Ortiz), it seems only a matter of time.

In 1989 the new set to have was Upper Deck. These cards burst onto the scene and changed the hobby forever. The Sheffield RC has an error version where his “SS” position is actually upside down. This was pretty limited in similar fashion to the first print wave of the Dale Murphy reversed negative. While Gary’s Bowman Tiffany and Topps Tiffany carry significantly more value, his Upper Deck rookie was the nostalgic choice for me…

Great comments on Sheffield. Being a Brewers fan, he was always one of my favorites and I had to go with a centered Tiffany for my choice.