Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I love the 1980s! The ultimate unopened rip quest to build Topps, Fleer, Donruss PSA 10 sets...

Comments

• Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joe,

Looking forward to seeing the results of your rip! Congrats on selling your home…great way to celebrate. Nic nailed the list of key RCs. The only other I would add to your watch list is the Dwight Gooden Record Breaker. That card is notoriously off centered and worth good money in a PSA 10.

Chris

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 984 ✭✭✭✭✭

Henderson.

Always Rickey Henderson.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

YES! Hope you get some beauties.
    Still waiting for my box to be delivered.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

Centering on the Rickey's VERY nice!
    Two possible mint Rose cards a bonus.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

1980 topps my favorite set

congrats!!

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    1. Probably my favorite Reggie, Henderson and Murphy cards of all time, but the absolute worst Yount. That thing is bad.
  • Options

• Options

Sorry, all of the photos are taken with my phone. Computer and scanner are non functional.
    Removed the rack packs.
    No racks with Puckett, Clemens or McGwire on top or bottom.
    Strawberry worth a premium?

• Options

The good news is most of those top cards look to be centered, which is a nightmare for 1985 Topps. No real premium for those two Strawberry cards on top, but NY fans will likely have some interest if left unopened. You should look for a regular Ozzie Smith on top of any packs…good things usually follow.

• Options

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    The good news is most of those top cards look to be centered, which is a nightmare for 1985 Topps. No real premium for those two Strawberry cards on top, but NY fans will likely have some interest if left unopened. You should look for a regular Ozzie Smith on top of any packs…good things usually follow.

I'll check!
    Centering is pretty good.

Funny you mention Ozzie, I thought I found one that had a shot at a 10, until I saw the print spot.

• Options

Best cards so far. Some weird print spots on upper left on Strawberry and a tiny print dot on "A's" green "box" on Rickey.

• Options

@jordangretzkyfan said:

So far centering not horrible, but generally towards the bottom.
    Print dots galore, hard to find a single card without a few.
    Top card Ozzie All Star, then a few cards down, possibly the best looking card of the day!

• Options

Nice looking Ozzie and Rickey. If not for the print dots, they would have a chance. My memory is that the McGwire RC usually is a few cards after the Ozzie Smith, hence my comment on check for him on the top of any rack packs.

Sweet looking Gooden RC. One of my favorite cards as a kid. Thanks for continuing to share the rip!

• Options

Got a Puckett, but way off center and print spots.

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    Got a Puckett, but way off center and print spots.

>
    >

I recently ripped several rack pack from the 80s and cherry picked several potential PSA10 HOFers, except every one has some sort of print circle that draws your eye to it. (like the print circle to the right of "TWINS" on your Puckett).

But then I see in another thread....

I guess this is an older PSA graded card?
    Would this card be a 10 today with the print circle above the "1983"?
    Some of my potential 10s had the print circles on the back, and I hesitate to submit those, thinking it's not coming back a 10.

• Options

I recently ripped several rack pack from the 80s and cherry picked several potential PSA10 HOFers, except every one has some sort of print circle that draws your eye to it. (like the print circle to the right of "TWINS" on your Puckett).

But then I see in another thread....

I guess this is an older PSA graded card?
    Would this card be a 10 today with the print circle above the "1983"?
    Some of my potential 10s had the print circles on the back, and I hesitate to submit those, thinking it's not coming back a 10.

Between the print spot above 1983 and the yellow one on Johnny’s cap, I cannot imagine that gets a PSA 10 with today’s standards. I have tossed aside many cards like that from 1980’s rips thinking I would get a PSA 8. I always take the approach that if I am hoping an imperfection slips by, then I should not be subbing it…but that’s just me.

• Options

Here's a few more that miss the mark;

• Options

Finished my rip today. Overall happy with the cards I got, BUT print dots killed me on some and centering was, as expected, hit and miss.
    Got one Nolan Ryan, very nicely centered, print dots did me in on this one.

• Options

Saberhagen rookie. Chance at a 10?

• Options

Nice looking Trammell!

• Options

Boggs and Gwynn.

• Options

Got a second beautiful Rickey with the same print dot on front. Also had a piece of garbage on back that effects the front surface as well.

• Options

A couple of nice Tommy John cards.

• Options

I love the 85 set but their quality control was horrible. So hard to get perfect cards from any pull but you got some nice ones.

• Options

Black Jack.

• Options

At first glance, these look great, but some strange print imperfections in the black and also in red box.

• Options

Ripken; regular cards, print spots. All Star cards off center.

• Options

Next up, Ryno. All centered low, print spots on regular cards.

• Options

Lots of Strawberry cards. Print spots galore. The All Star card has junk on top of holder on left border, not on card.
    Bummer to get so many and all are 😞

• Options

Two Ozzie's beautifully centered with a huge print blob. Chris knows what this could mean 😁

• Options

Happy to get two, but lots of problems on both. I can see why there are so few 10's if these are an example of what they produced. Nothing horrible, but not sure their worth grading. Any guesses on the grades?

• Options

This might be the card that saves me! I was a little worried before I looked at some 10's on eBay. Wish me luck on this one.

• Options

@BBBrkrr said:
    I love the 85 set but their quality control was horrible. So hard to get perfect cards from any pull but you got some nice ones.

Thank you!

After opening a wax box of these a couple of years ago, I decided to never RIP wax again.
    Most of the cards here are decently centered, but print spots are on a high percentage.
    Being a Twins fan, I was hoping for a mint Puckett. The best I think they will get is a "7".
    Also wish they were centered better side to side like the majority of the other cards. I don't mind if a card is off top to bottom (within reason) but these 2 are pretty ugly. 😩
    Unsure what to do with the McGwire's. Will have to check eBay to see if they are even worth grading.
    The Clemens has a shot!

• Options

Thanks for sharing the break, Joe. Such a great set with so many iconic RCs. The Trammell looks like it has a shot at a 10. The second McGwire looks pretty clean in your picture with maybe a little edge wear / rough cut on the left edge. That said, maybe still a MINT 9, which sells for $100. The first McGwire looks like an 8 to me based on centering and a few print spots. That Clemens looks really nice. Easy PSA 9 with a shot at a 10. Best of luck!

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    Ripken; regular cards, print spots. All Star cards off center.

Many 85 Ripkens are afflicted with the weird line down his right leg, so at least you avoided that print defect.

• Options

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    Thanks for sharing the break, Joe. Such a great set with so many iconic RCs. The Trammell looks like it has a shot at a 10. The second McGwire looks pretty clean in your picture with maybe a little edge wear / rough cut on the left edge. That said, maybe still a MINT 9, which sells for $100. The first McGwire looks like an 8 to me based on centering and a few print spots. That Clemens looks really nice. Easy PSA 9 with a shot at a 10. Best of luck!

Thanks! After all your fantastic rips, I'm glad you enjoyed this one.
    The Trammell looks perfect, probably a "9" 😁.
    I don't see much difference in the 2 McGwires, right down to the rough cut/chipping in one small area on the left edge. I thought an 8 would be generous on either, but I'll take a 9!
    The Clemens looked like a 10 at first and then I noticed the registration problem. It shows up best on the bottom of the "Red Sox" box. I checked a few PSA 10's on eBay and it looks like some are similar to mine.
    I apologize for the quality of the pictures, no scanner at this time.

• Options

Hi there - just wanted to chime in that this thread was one of the best things I read when I was getting back into the hobby a couple years ago, so many thanks for that. OP, curious if you chose to grade any of your "for grading" pile in the 1980s special PSA ran a couple months ago. Just wondering what the hit rate might be for someone as discerning as you have been. Thanks again!

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭✭

I was just looking through my collection...am I the only one that likes to play period appropriate music while looking at them? Like on the Music Choice channels, playing the 70s channel when looking at 70s cards/sets, 80s channel for 80s cards/sets, and so on?

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭

I saw this thread pop up and thought to myself that Chris was going at it again. Man I was so excited.

Chris,
    Curious. How tough are 86D and 87D in terms of % to meet your potential 10 standards?

Thanks

John

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 20, 2023 7:38AM

PSA didn’t ding me for the line on leg, but I avoided the print spots Chris mentioned in the blue, FWIW - sorry for the light reflection by his thigh...

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    STLKabongSTLKabong Posts: 64 ✭✭✭

I'm still trying to figure out what I missed on this one....

• Options

@NJ80sBBC said:
    I saw this thread pop up and thought to myself that Chris was going at it again. Man I was so excited.

Chris,
    Curious. How tough are 86D and 87D in terms of % to meet your potential 10 standards?

Thanks

John

Hi John,

Always good to hear from you my friend. Hope your Fleer Rack collection continues to grow. My rip experience for those Donruss years has been 1986 Donruss = 1.8% and 1987 Donruss = 0.7% that meet my standards as a strong PSA 10 candidate. Centering and edges seem to be slightly better in 1986. The all black edges on 1987 Donruss are prone to showing any little speck of an edge chip. The easier way to find PSA 10 candidates for 1987 Donruss is factory sets. I don’t tend to open those because the print orientation on the back of the factory set cards is flipped as compared to pack pulled cards from that year.

• Options
    edited October 20, 2023 9:26AM

@STLKabong said:

That is a beautiful OPC Ripken. Hard to tell why a PSA 6 from the front. The lower left corner shows some very light wear and there is a tiny “fisheye” above the SS position. Those to me would make it a PSA 7 - 8 worst case. I wonder if there is a print flaw on the back?

• Options
    STLKabongSTLKabong Posts: 64 ✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:

@STLKabong said:

That is a beautiful OPC Ripken. Hard to tell why a PSA 6 from the front. The lower left corner shows some very light wear and there is a tiny “fisheye” above the SS position. Those to me would make it a PSA 7 - 8 worst case. I wonder if there is a print flaw on the back?

Looking at the back, it looks like the top left corner has an issue.

This thread was the first one I read when I got back into collecting, too. I only started submitting cards for grading last year, so I'm still trying to learn the finer points. Most of the cards I'm submitting now I'm using for that learning curve. I appreciate your feedback!

• Options

Just bought this Chris, what is your opinion on these? I LOVE opening rack packs. Might try to put together a mint set. Trying to have some fun with the hobby.
    Griffey's in a 10 go for $400.00 nothing much other than that. Several stars go for around $50.00.

I was a bit surprised at the price, being a Griffey rookie year.
    Maybe I'll rip it and post results. Might be a good investment to keep sealed?
    Joe

• Options

Looking at the back, it looks like the top left corner has an issue.

This thread was the first one I read when I got back into collecting, too. I only started submitting cards for grading last year, so I'm still trying to learn the finer points. Most of the cards I'm submitting now I'm using for that learning curve. I appreciate your feedback!

Thanks for sharing the back image! That’s it. There was slight paper loss on the back upper left edge during the card cutting process. Glad this added a bit more insight for this group on making sure we also evaluate the card back before submitting. I appreciate you sharing.

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:
    Just bought this Chris, what is your opinion on these? I LOVE opening rack packs. Might try to put together a mint set. Trying to have some fun with the hobby.
    Griffey's in a 10 go for $400.00 nothing much other than that. Several stars go for around $50.00.

I was a bit surprised at the price, being a Griffey rookie year.
    Maybe I'll rip it and post results. Might be a good investment to keep sealed?
    Joe

I always love ripping 1989 Donruss, since it’s a fairly inexpensive trip down memory lane and contains RCs of Griffey, Johnson, Schilling, Smoltz, Biggio and Sheffield. Rack is the best product for high grade candidates, plus you will land some stars showing on top for fun. The biggest challenge will be finding dead centered cards. Corners are usually clean in racks, but edges can be rough cut as they cranked the presses that year. Also look for black ink print spots/lines that year. If you decide to bust, please share the results. Congrats on the fun case purchase at a great price.