Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I love the 1980s! The ultimate unopened rip quest to build Topps, Fleer, Donruss PSA 10 sets...

1575859606163»

Comments

• Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2023 11:56AM

Nice Junior…only potential issue is that it is centered a bit high. Otherwise looks sharp!

The remainder of the 1987 Topps rack box turned up the usual stars and rookies, but the Murphy was the only PSA 10 candidate out of the entire 1200+ card box. Here are the key cards…

I always love when I land a rack with a key RC on top of a pack. This was the saving grace of this box for me…

• Options

While putting these away, I came across a random stack of 1994 Finest football packs that I tucked away at some point. Figured you guys would want to see this rip too, so here goes. Let the hunt for refractors begin…

• Options

I have always felt these first year football refractors were undervalued. Likely because there are no key rookies this year. I did find tons of stars in this group of packs…

This Rice looks like it has a good shot at PSA 10, so it will go in the submission pile. Remember when Bledsoe was the rookie to pull? Mr. Brady changed that trajectory quite a bit…

Two refractors emerged from these packs. Neither worthy of submission. I pulled the wrong 49ers receiver 🤣

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

YES!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

Final numbers on my Donruss rack box break;
    3240 cards,
    7 Schillings, 6 Sheffield's, 6 Ryan's, 4 Johnson's and of course, only 2 Griffey's.

The player I was looking for to add to my collection was Puckett, 2 regular cards off center and 4 MVP cards, all with multiple print dots.

Was a fun trip, but to all of you guys who think there's a lot of PSA 10's out there in unopened.............there really isn't.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭

You already knew that Joe! But we rip anyway to relive our youth. I opened up so much 89D. It was my peak collecting year as a kid.

Let’s go Chris on that 1980!

John

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 868 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    I have always felt these first year football refractors were undervalued. Likely because there are no key rookies this year. I did find tons of stars in this group of packs…

This Rice looks like it has a good shot at PSA 10, so it will go in the submission pile. Remember when Bledsoe was the rookie to pull? Mr. Brady changed that trajectory quite a bit…

Two refractors emerged from these packs. Neither worthy of submission. I pulled the wrong 49ers receiver 🤣

andre reed is a hall of fame refractor.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hiya Chris

Haven't posted here in a bit.

One of my favorite threads. Sorry to see the result on the 80T vending box.

Overall, you've posted some really sweet cards. Not sure I recall? Have you subbed any of your "selected" cards?

Looking forward to that - tho with people disappointed with the grading right now? I would be on the side of holding off I guess?

Thanx for sharing buddy.

Mike
  • Options

Hey Mike,

Great to hear from you my friend. Hope you are doing well and still adding some cool pieces to your collection. I always love to see your games and pins.

I have held off subbing, since the pandemic backed up grading time, sent fees through the roof and now the grades seem to be more strict than ever before. I have about 3,000 cards ready to go once bulk sub prices come back to reality. Until then, I keep slowly breaking and adding to the stacks.

Cheers!

• Options

I know this isn’t 1980’s material, but figured this group would want to see the break anyway. Been watching college football today, and feel like hunting for some top prospect autos. I love the concept of the “1st Bowman” cards translating from baseball to football now that the NIL exists. I think this product is a sleeper and a long term hold in unopened form. Going to rip a box of 2022 and 2023 Bowman Chrome University football…

• Options

The key RC autos to pull in 2022 are Anthony Richardson and Caleb Williams. No such luck on the autos, but I did pull a Caleb base. Nolan Smith will be a beast in the NFL and carry the Georgia torch. Pretty happy with his refactor RC numbered to 199. The three subsets are Invicta, Rambling Man and the 1954 Bowman throwbacks. Pulled a few colored refractors of high profile QBs in Mertz and Hartman, who thanks to the transfer portal are now leading Florida and ND. Overall, an average box and a fun rip. 2023 up next…

• Options
    edited November 4, 2023 8:37PM

The top prospects for 2023 are Marvin Harrison, Jr., Shedeur Sanders and Travis Hunter. This box did not disappoint, The two autos were a base Shedeur Sanders and a Gold Refractor of Milton numbered to 50. There was also a purple refractor of Sanders along with his base card. The subsets are Rambling Man, 1955 Bowman throwbacks and Early Risers, which I pulled Harrison, Jr. and Caleb Williams. Fun boxes for a modest modern price…

• Options

Been a little while since I shared a 1980s rip. Here goes a case fresh rack box of 1987 Topps…

• Options
    jraytayjraytay Posts: 125 ✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    Been a little while since I shared a 1980s rip. Here goes a case fresh rack box of 1987 Topps…

Good Luck on the Rip but that box doesn't look 'case fresh'.

• Options

Still one of my favorite years to rip. Lots of iconic RCs and HOFers. Here were the key cards pulled, but not worthy of grading…

Out of the 1,152 untouched cards, only three emerged with a chance at PSA 10. That is 0.2% or two one-hundredths of the cards. Centering is almost always off and when that lines up, surface issues are the next challenge, followed by corners…

Had fun, so going to rip a second box now…

• Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks as always for sharing. 1987 topps will always be there, frustratingly overproduced, but lovely in its own way. Not many ways to teleport back to the 80's the way opening up topps can provide.

-Nathanael

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 962 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 87 Henderson is one of his coolest.

• Options

You would not imagine how similar this stuff is to me as the above explanation :)

Nice work Sir. I open a new Topps box of anything nowadays, and I have no idea who 99 % of the players are.

• Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭

Insane run of Heritage Chris! I have returned to checking box scores daily of the few guys I collect. Have a small group of friends who do same. The fire has been re-lit. Brings me back to delivering the Daily News and checking box scores before I wrapped all the papers to throw from my bike.

Find a couple people who are into some modern players. Not all in on every rookie. But pick a couple and go! There’s plenty of Ruben Sierra and Eric Davis type fun out there. Believe me.

John

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options

• Options

For those not familiar with Heritage boxes, the general formula is that you get nearly one full base set, one chrome card, one photo variation card and then one auto or relic card. As you can see, I pulled all the key base RCs, got one chrome refractor, got a black variant limited to 50 copies, and pulled a relic. At least the relic was from a top 15 all-time player. Overall, a fun rip and great to see the 1970 Topps design with modern stars…

• Options

Greatest.. thread.. ever. and can not be beat.

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

Funny, I’ve been burning out on the hobby, modern hockey I follow intensely but have no interest in the UD offerings.

Recently ripped a box of heritage and while I didn’t hit anything special thought it was a lot of fun.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hiura had a long strange trip with the Brewers for sure... Sadly he spent 23 in the minors and is probably mostly done... He is a FA now.

I do like this card design! Clean and classic!

• Options

Also had an extra box of the 2020 High numbers, so time to rip it. Not a very exciting year for rookies. Luis Robert RC is the headliner. Here’s hoping for a Real One autograph rather than another relic card…

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭

You think we could do an I Love The 90s? I mean, VH1 did so after the success of their I Love The 80s! I don't know who here would be most qualified to start the thread though...like, who here loves collecting the 90s more than anybody here?

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

As anticipated, this was a pretty boring rip. Not much to hunt for in this series. Pulled the Luis Robert RC, a Porcello team color variant and a less than exciting Trevor Story relic card. No chrome card in this box. Oh well, always nice to see the black bordered beauties from 1971…

Estil - would be happy to watch an “I love the 90s” thread, but I am not your guy for that rip trip. I took most of that decade off from stockpiling unopened.

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 23, 2023 8:05AM

I was in my teens in the 90s. In fact I graduated HS in 1999, the Wayne Gretzky year, the last class of the 20th century! Not-so-fun fact: Prince passed away about the same number of years after 1999 that there were between that year and when the song came out (1982) if that makes sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rblt2EtFfC4

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

Decided to gift myself three cases of 2022 Topps Heritage High Numbers for Christmas, since the prices have gotten very reasonable. These will be added to the rip pile, since many of the key autos are unfortunately redemptions from this series. The redemptions expire toward the end of 2024, so I will need to get cracking over the next few months.

The key rookies in this 1973 design are Julio Rodriguez, Bobby Witt, Jr., Spencer Strider, Spencer Torkelson, Hunter Greene, Royce Lewis and Bryson Scott. There are also HOF autos from Mike Schmidt, Nolan Ryan, Johnny Bench, Steve Carlton and Jim Palmer to name a few. Seemed like a fun way to enjoy the hobby and hopefully hit a few nice autos.

Hope everyone had a healthy and relaxing holiday with family and friends…

• Options

Before I start ripping more Topps Heritage boxes, thought opening a 1980 Topps vending box would provide a little holiday joy. This has become a tradition over the past few years for me. Hoping to land some more PSA 10 candidates.

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 962 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never was a fan of the 1980 design but loved a ton of the photos from that year.

So many cool photos. Both action and portrait.

• Options

Those Ryan's still are good looking cards!
    Thanks for sharing.

• Options

Fingers crossed for you.

• Options
    ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭

Best of luck with the vending.

The Heritage buyback Randy Moffitt is Billie Jean King's brother.

Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Options

YES!!!!!!!! 🙌

• Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

Nice Schmidt!

• Options

@lahmejoon said:
    Nice Schmidt!

Thanks…was cool to pull a red auto from his “throwback” rookie year Heritage set :)