Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I love the 1980s! The ultimate unopened rip quest to build Topps, Fleer, Donruss PSA 10 sets...

Comments

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread!

The history of the game, this is what card collecting is about for me. I have a similar project going for hockey, not as well organized but flipping through the greats of the game, holding the cards. It's the reason I collect today, collected as a kid and teen, and will collect as an old fart.

Good stuff and a good reminder of where the hobby really comes from.

• Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭✭✭

@80sOPC said:
    Great thread!

The history of the game, this is what card collecting is about for me. I have a similar project going for hockey, not as well organized but flipping through the greats of the game, holding the cards. It's the reason I collect today, collected as a kid and teen, and will collect as an old fart.

Good stuff and a good reminder of where the hobby really comes from.

Thanks…I appreciate the kind words! I completely agree, it’s about holding the cards of our childhood idols and enjoying the nostalgia. Would love to see your hockey project.

• Options
    edited March 6, 2022 8:23AM

MLB has a handful of historic moments that transcend time, and one of those immortalized in our minds belongs to the Iron Man. Baseball needed a hero after the 1994 strike to bring class and humility back to the game. Enter Cal Ripken. I can still recall Chris Berman’s vioce as Cal officially broke Lou Gerig’s record for consecutive games played. Unscripted, the game paused and Ripken instinctively decided to walk the perimeter of Camden Yards shaking hands with the fans who made his childhood dream a reality. This is the stuff of legends. And oh, by the way, Cal won 2x MVP, is a member of the 3000 Hit Club, has over 400 HR and was a gold glove winning SS. He is among the pinnacle of baseballs top 50 and might be the classiest to ever play the game.

For the best of the best, they get two RCs in my book. Both of these rookies are iconic and a mandatory addition to any 80’s collection. Simply one of my very favorites.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for sharing!

• Options
    edited March 8, 2022 6:15PM

I love early Raines cards. Those expos colours plus Raines just being a badass makes those cards special. Have good memories watching games at Olympic Stadium, Dawson and Raines.

• Options
    threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan

Spectacular series!!!

Thank you so much for adding such value to these collector boards.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭

If you grew up collecting in the 80s, this has to easily go down as being one of the greatest CU threads of all time. It’s got unopened, it’s got unopened being opened, it’s got post after post after post of 1980s nostalgic awesomeness. And then a side step into features top rookie cards of the decade!

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options

As for your last couple showcased stars, to be honest Raines flew under my radar as a kid. He was a decent pull, but never made it into the binder. Big miss on my part.

Henderson on the other hand was huge in my town. We were thrilled when he came to the Yankees. Snap catch and all! I was able to secure my 1980 specimen in a 3 way trade with my cousin and an unknown third party. I don’t remember all of the details, but fishing tackle was involved - true story.

Of course I still have my Rickey, which is maybe a 4-5. Only one I own and probably will ever own.

John

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2022 3:48AM

@NGS428 said:
    Thank you for sharing!

@80sOPC said:
    I love early Raines cards. Those expos colours plus Raines just being a badass makes those cards special. Have good memories watching games at Olympic Stadium, Dawson and Raines.

@threeofsix said:
    @jordangretzkyfan

Spectacular series!!!

Thank you so much for adding such value to these collector boards.

@NJ80sBBC said:
    If you grew up collecting in the 80s, this has to easily go down as being one of the greatest CU threads of all time. It’s got unopened, it’s got unopened being opened, it’s got post after post after post of 1980s nostalgic awesomeness. And then a side step into features top rookie cards of the decade!

Thank you for all the kind words. I am blessed to have this forum of great collectors who enjoy a common nostalgia and to share memories with. Your comments are what keeps this fresh!

@NJ80sBBC said:
    As for your last couple showcased stars, to be honest Raines flew under my radar as a kid. He was a decent pull, but never made it into the binder. Big miss on my part.

Henderson on the other hand was huge in my town. We were thrilled when he came to the Yankees. Snap catch and all! I was able to secure my 1980 specimen in a 3 way trade with my cousin and an unknown third party. I don’t remember all of the details, but fishing tackle was involved - true story.

Of course I still have my Rickey, which is maybe a 4-5. Only one I own and probably will ever own.

John

Love this admission and story. You know $h!t# is getting real when fishing tackle enters the trade 🤣🤣. Man we were funny as kids. I remember trading my Mike Tyson’s Punch Out video game along with my Vision Gator Skateboard for an 87/88 Fleer basketball set back in 1992. Like most kids, I missed the boat on 80’s basketball cards before the first Beckett Basketball Magazine hit the shelves. My buddy thought he had totally ripped me off since he bought the set back in 1988 for $5. Little did he know, I would have thrown in my Beastie Boys cassette too! 🤣🤣

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

NICE!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

I agree with you on that 87D Bo. I bought that single from a local shop in the early 90’s and it just felt like the coolest thing ever.

• Options

Love the Bo and Mac RR, they are and always will be epic cards to me. And for whatever reason the Santiago was always a huge fave as a kid. Didn’t hurt that it was his only regular issue 87 card for a kid starting out collecting in 87. He was bad ass throwing from his knees.

• Options
    tulsaboytulsaboy Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

I always liked the Carlton card...the white jersey with a super dark, almost black background was a real stunner. I also think the Bo Jackson has the same sort of contrast going for it. The Gwynn card always puzzled me...for such a great player, I remember thinking the card was kind of a dud.
    Great cards!
    kevin

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 17, 2022 10:19AM

Hiya Chris

Just got caught up on your quest.

Unbelievable!

One of the best ongoing threads here.

Thanx buddy.

Mike
  • Options

Always loved the Mattingly card. Was such a big pull for me back in the day when there was no one bigger in baseball and opening an 87D pack was a serious luxury.

• Options

Late to the party, but agree on the 87 Bo. That card captures how confident he was, kind of a whatevs pose, just a unicorn athlete.

• Options
    tjhorn92tjhorn92 Posts: 36 ✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    This is why it is always risky to rip early 80s vending. Amazing nostalgia, with less than stellar results. Here are the piles and piles of fresh 1980 Topps stars and rookies that miss the grade as PSA 10 candidates. Centering is the biggest obstacle as 95% of the cards are less than 50/50. Then the print dots, edge and corner wear take over. Most are PSA 7-8 condition untouched and direct from the factory. Makes me appreciate the GEMs that much more…

No Henderson RC this round, but did pull this nice Ryan. Likely a PSA 7…

There were three contenders for PSA 10 in this box…

Thanks for sharing! I have a 79 and a 80 vending box that are calling me but I continue to stay strong. Maybe I should satisfy my urge to rip with a newly purchased 84 Donruss and look for that Donnie Baseball in a 10?

• Options
    MParker79MParker79 Posts: 25
    edited March 22, 2022 5:22PM

Thank you as always for sharing these rips! I love 1980s Topps. The last of something, and the first of something to me. The last vintage set, or first modern set depending on how you look at it. On a personal note I love it because the first Beckett I ever bought was a 1989 issue with Rickey Henderson on the cover with his ‘80s Topps rookie. A neighborhood kid came by with it, and I couldn’t believe there was a price guide for what I’d started collecting with ‘89 Donruss a couple months earlier. I didn’t even know card shops existed at this time, had just been getting them at corner stores, and super markets. I asked if he’d sell it to me, and got whatever money I had, probably 2 bucks…after we did the exchange I remember him under his breath to his younger brother saying “it’s cool, we can buy a the latest one now!…” haha. Ahhh, I soon realized it was a monthly thing, and not rare!

• Options

@jordangretzkyfan said:

No Henderson RC this round, but did pull this nice Ryan. Likely a PSA 7…

Might not be a mint one, but it's still a beauty!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

As a 13 year old Cub fan, I really wanted Karl Pagel to be a star! Still the best thread on the board. Good luck!!

• Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭

I’m still sitting on 5 unopened boxes of 1982 Fleer from a case I bought back in the 80’s.
    If anyone wants to chase some Ripken rc……..

Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 983 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck man. The 1980 rips are always 50/50 for me. Lots of cool cards but so much terrible centering.

Here’s to yours all being perfect!

• Options

Great to see you back in action! Too bad the Henderson and Ryan cards weren't better centered.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:

There were only three candidates for PSA 10 in the entire 500 card vending box, reiterating just how hard it is to find dead centered PSA 10 caliber cards…

Trying to decide if Herr or Ward is the "key" rookie there.

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:
    Great to see you back in action! Too bad the Henderson and Ryan cards weren't better centered.

Thanks Joe! With the grading costs still too high, breaking for PSA 10 commons doesn’t make sense…not that it ever did 🤣. I have been ripping lots of 1987 Topps, Fleer and Donruss still, but figured people would get bored with those so I hadn’t been posting. Planning to share more rips going forward. Hope you are well.

@daltex said:

Yeah, aside from Mike Scott and Dan Quisenberry the “Future Stars” predictions were brutal in 1980. I have always liked the look of the Rick Sutcliffe RC, but there is only one notable RC in this set.

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:

@jordangretzkyfan said:

There were only three candidates for PSA 10 in the entire 500 card vending box, reiterating just how hard it is to find dead centered PSA 10 caliber cards…

Tommy Herr all the way! No bias here at all.

:D

Shane

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Thanks Joe! With the grading costs still too high, breaking for PSA 10 commons doesn’t make sense…not that it ever did 🤣. I have been ripping lots of 1987 Topps, Fleer and Donruss still, but figured people would get bored with those so I hadn’t been posting. Planning to share more rips going forward. Hope you are well.

@daltex said:

Yeah, aside from Mike Scott and Dan Quisenberry the “Future Stars” predictions were brutal in 1980. I have always liked the look of the Rick Sutcliffe RC, but there is only one notable RC in this set.

I was wondering how you were pulling this off. How many PSA 10's did you accumulate before the price hikes and backlog? I love looking at those 80s gems. I was a kid born in 1975, so those are etched into my mind.

Shane

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:

@JoeBanzai said:

I'd be bored if 10s had suddenly become more common. Always interesting to see how scarce they are.

• Options

@daltex said:

@jordangretzkyfan said:

@JoeBanzai said:

I'd be bored if 10s had suddenly become more common. Always interesting to see how scarce they are.

Each card should be judged on it's merits.

I ripped about 12,000 1987 Topps baseball just before the price jump and submitted 150 or so. I got a large amount of 9's that were/are perfect.

Luckily I got enough 10's to actually make a small profit, but I ended up with a lot of cards that I can't sell for even the $9.00 grading fee that I paid.

TPG's shouldn't be concerned with 10's becoming "too common", they should be grading each card individually, wether it's a common or a HOFer.

That doesn't seem to be the case.

• Options

Hi guys!
    Reviving this thread as I just purchased a rack box of 1985 Topps from BBCE to rip.
    Celebrating the sale of my house that was a 5 month ordeal.
    A few years ago I bought a wax box of the same and was bitterly disappointed, no McGwire, no Puckett and one Clemens with a HUGE print spot on the back. Of course a lot of cards ruined by wax and melted gum. Decided never to rip wax again!
    While (impatiently) waiting for my item, I noticed there were some pretty good cards other than the "big three". Anyone out there have any thoughts on cards to look for?
    I would also be interested in selling any rack packs with stars showing if someone is interested.
    Let me know what you think!

• Options
    19591959 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭

SEAVER, ERIC DAVIS,(RC) RYAN , HERSHISER (RC)

• Options

Lots of good options.. I listed a few below. They won't bring home millions, but these were some good players in their time.
    https://tcdb.com/Rookies.cfm/sid/103/1985-Topps

23 Bret Saberhagen RC
    181 Roger Clemens RC
    193 Jimmy Key RC
    238 Jose Rijo RC
    280 Shawon Dunston FRDP, RC
    346 Terry Pendleton RC
    401 Mark McGwire OLY, RC
    493 Orel Hershiser RC
    536 Kirby Puckett RC
    620 Dwight Gooden RC
    625 Mark Langston RC
    627 Eric Davis RC

• Options

Thanks guys!
    I knew about McGwire, Clemens and Puckett, but didn't think Davis would be worth much. Gooden can go for a nice amount too! Nolan Ryan always seems to be valuable.
    Of course I am assuming card must be a 10 to be worth grading.