Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Ring in the New Year with some New Cards...Let's See Them!

Comments

• SoxPatsFanSoxPatsFan Posts: 195 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2022 11:04PM

I remember pulling that Pinnacle Bledsoe Rookie insert from a pack when it was new. I think they were 1 per box and it was a large set so the Bledsoe was quite valuable at the time. One of my best pack pulls of the 90's.

• dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UFFDAH said:
    Happy New Year everyone!!

My biggest card purchase to date.

I sold my 58 Brown PSA 8.5 privately for a record price to help make it happen. I still have my 58 Brown PSA 8 that I pack pulled.

your pictures always seem to amaze me. not only because of the subject/card, but because you always seem to capture the best angle and lighting for your slabs. how do you manage to always get it so perfect with no glare?

myslabs.to/smzcards

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tim, that Bird photo is cool. I think they kept the same general layout for many years. I have a later one autographed by Cedric Maxwell and an even later one signed by Reggie Lewis.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dictoresno said:

@UFFDAH said:
    Happy New Year everyone!!

My biggest card purchase to date.

I sold my 58 Brown PSA 8.5 privately for a record price to help make it happen. I still have my 58 Brown PSA 8 that I pack pulled.

your pictures always seem to amaze me. not only because of the subject/card, but because you always seem to capture the best angle and lighting for your slabs. how do you manage to always get it so perfect with no glare?

@UFFDAH posted this on 12/21 in the December purchases thread:
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/13126373/#Comment_13126373

• cgfalconecgfalcone Posts: 92 ✭✭✭

@AFLfan said:
    Incredible stuff, everyone. Way to ring in the new year!

I sent in 100 lacrosse card to be graded in 2021 and the cards came back last week. Lots of nice stuff, but this was the crown jewel. If you like lacrosse cards, it doesn't get better than a Gary Gait rookie card in PSA 10. Pop 2. Please pardon the crummy image.

I played lacrosse as a kid and my dad took me to see the Gait brothers play in the NCAA championship when they were at Syracuse. They were clearly better than everyone else on the field. It was a pretty cool experience.

• KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DM23HOF said:
    What a fun browse this thread is so far. Love looking at 84 Topps Tiffanys and that Bradshaw especially is so striking with the red border. Calling this 2022 cards as I finally got them dual graded and re-holdered. The Ryan and Schmidt are really dear to me because of their great centering and auto quality combination. The 58 Micks are keys in my signed 50s Mick collection.

Sweet cards Matt - the Ryan rookie is off the charts! Love the 58 as well.

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2022 8:14AM

Didn't want to lose the prior post so popping the other scan here. Sometimes called the "Holiday Inn Proof" this item is from 1957, issued by the Yankees in response to autograph requests for their reigning Hickock Belt, MVP award winning and championship winning centefielder, Mickey Mantle.

Please think of it as one post :p

ETA: if anyone has any information on either, I’m all ears. Im always looking for and always welcome new credible info…

…learning can go on at any age, so long as you’re willing. 😎

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

@graygator said:

Love the centering on Torre.

@Chicago1976 said:
    A card from my childhood collection, just wanted to get it slabbed. Sitting in a shoebox, then a binder for about 43 years. Very happy with grade.

Awesome card!

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭

@Chicago1976 said:
    A card from my childhood collection, just wanted to get it slabbed. Sitting in a shoebox, then a binder for about 43 years. Very happy with grade.

Worth the wait!!!!!!

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.

@1951WheatiesPremium great upgrade! I never tire of seeing your Prop Montiel pickups.

Yaz Master Set

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2022 5:51PM

@Bosox1976 said:
    It kind of feels like cheating to buy a whole set already in PSA 10, but I love the modern stand ups - like these Topps Lineage or the Bazooka’s.

Those are sharp - the ‘64s are my favorite of the Topps oddball sets. Great pick-up!

With grading prices where they are, it would be impossible to build that again.

• lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 865 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barfvader said:
    Time to clutter up this thread of incredible cardboard dreams with my garbage. :D

Box arrived with every corner ripped open. When I removed the tape, one side completely fell off. Thankfully there was enough bubble wrap inside that protected the contents but clearly way to thin of a box was used for the amount of weight here.

This was a better than average lot that contained only a small handful of dupes that I already owned but were upgrades so that's always a plus. Was described as The records are in great shape and free of major scratches. Any noticed defects are mentioned below. They play great and are clean. With the exception of two being Wayne Newton - Daddy Don't You Walk So Fast has a handful of deep scratches that you can feel with your finger and causes loud clicks and Styx - Paradise Theater is a bit rough with many scuffs/scratches/couple spots of groove wear so it is a bit noisy with pops/clicks/crackle and a loud squeal (spot where there is groove wear).

Paradise Theater known for two things. Amazing album and a cool laser etching of the band name on side 2.

Now if your looking at that your thinking, what's he talking about? That album looks like it's in great condition. Ah, but that's because of angle and lighting. Here is a more accurate look at condition.

The Wayne Newton, well I'm not really upset at that. It's frustrating given how clean the record was so it would have been a nice upgrade to the one I have but on the other hand it's not like I collect/listen to him as it's not my cup of tea.

Here is my grading and random thoughts on these.

Redbone Featuring Pat & Lolly Vegas - Cycles (VG+ Lower end of the grade as some noise in quiet sections/Needs cleaning)
    Tom Jones - Close Up (VG+ Amazing sound. Visual issues in vinyl not effecting playback)
    Tom Jones - Greatest Hits LC 50002 (VG+ amazing sound)
    Tom Jones - Help Yourself (VG+ Amazing sound nice clean playback)
    Tom Jones - The Tom Jones Fever Zone (VG+ Terre Haute Pressing amazing sound with some pops and clicks here and there)
    The DeFranco Family Featuring Tony DeFranco - Save The Last Dance For Me (VG+ nice clean playback)
    Glen Campbell - Southern Nights (VG+ Amazing sound. Weird matrix has portions of Jacksonville & Los Angeles pressings but doesn't match up. Label matches Jacksonville)
    Andrew Gold - All This And Heaven Too (VG+ Needs proper cleaning some pops and clicks. Light moisture damage to cover)
    Peter Frampton - Where I Should Be (VG+ fairly clean with some minimal noise in quitter sections/should be cleaned)
    Chicago - Hot Streets (VG+ needs proper cleaning but sounds great)
    Stars On - Stars On Long Play (VG+ nice clean playback)
    Dawn's New Ragtime Follies Featuring Tony Orlando (VG+ nice clean copy with great sound. PRC pressing)
    Father Guido Sarducci - Live At St. Douglas Convent (VG+ fairly clean playback with some minimal noise here and there)
    The Ozark Mountain Daredevils - It's Alive (VG+ Terre Haute Pressing needs proper cleaning but nice clean playback)
    The Ozark Mountain Daredevils - It's Alive (VG+ RCA Record Club Edition visually minimal issues plays NM)
    Steve Martin - Comedy Is Not Pretty! (VG+ Fairly clean playback with minimal noise here and there/No poster)

Steve Martin - A Wild And Crazy Guy (VG needs proper cleaning/some crackle/includes 8 X 10 photo lower left bend damage)
    Rockwell - Somebody's Watching Me (VG Grade due to vinyl bit wavy but plays VG+)
    007 Thunderball Soundtrack (Mono Release Pitman Pressing VG plays with noise audible mostly in quieter sections. Should bump a grade after cleaning)
    Waylon Jennings - Country Music (VG needs proper cleaning, pops and clicks)
    David Soul - David Soul (Strong VG due to clicks (probably dirt in grooves) otherwise very clean sound)
    Don Williams - The Best Of Don Williams Volume II (VG needs proper cleaning, pops and clicks/cover in original shrink and includes lyric sheet)
    The Cowsills - Plus The Lincoln Park Zoo (VG visually but after cleaning plays VG+)
    Little River Band - Greatest Hits CRC (VG visual defects in vinyl some crackle/low volume maybe due to being a record club pressing/milky swirl pattern under very bright light)
    Various - 20 Top Speed Hits (VG some visual issues but plays nicely mostly in the VG+ range)
    Ronnie Milsap - There's No Gettin' Over Me (VG lots of light scuffs but plays back in the VG+ range)
    Bay City Rollers - Rock N' Roll Love Letter (VG needs proper cleaning pops and clicks. HEAVY bass on this one)
    Carly Simon - The Best Of Carly Simon (VG plays in the VG to VG+ range/Very dirty, needs proper cleaning/Misprint)

Wayne Newton - Daddy Don't You Walk So Fast (G+ scratches on both sides that can be felt with finger causing loud clicks)

Styx - Paradise Theater (G Lots of scuffs/scratches pops/clicks/crackle/a squeal in one spot)

great group of albums this months thanks for sharing.

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@brad31 said>

Two strong 8s I am happy to add (yes I am always happy, excited, glad, etc. to add all my pick-ups otherwise why would I have bought them?). The Bench upgrades a purchase when I was 18 that likely would grade a 6. The Schmidt I showed off in the OPC thread when I bought it - but I now have it in hand and it looks even better in person. I have been wanting the Schmidt OPC for a while - love the French on the front.

Wow!!! You crushed it with those two. The centering on that Bench is off the charts. Congrats.

• GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2022 9:07PM

Hey brad31,
    Awesome Mike Schmidt - That's pretty cool!
    :)

• @brad31 said:

Two strong 8s I am happy to add (yes I am always happy, excited, glad, etc. to add all my pick-ups otherwise why would I have bought them?). The Bench upgrades a purchase when I was 18 that likely would grade a 6. The Schmidt I showed off in the OPC thread when I bought it - but I now have it in hand and it looks even better in person. I have been wanting the Schmidt OPC for a while - love the French on the front.

That's a sharp looking Schmidt! Congrats!

• rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

@brad31 Really clean 1970 Topps superstars present incredibly. Both those cards are stunning, and the Schmidt is such a tough card. Congrats on 2 stellar pickups!

Looking for FB HOF Rookies