Home Sports Talk
Options

The official 2021 college football thread

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here we go again - Georgia vs Alabama - So who's bright Idea was it for Michigan to beat Ohio State????

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2021 8:41PM

@Steven59 said:
    Here we go again - Georgia vs Alabama - So who's bright Idea was it for Michigan to beat Ohio State????

Alabama has now been in the Championship Game 6 out of the last 8 years. Their
    only losses in the Championship Game have been to Clemson twice

Same as it's ever been

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just no suspense leading up to tonights games. Plenty for the title game.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

We didn't play very well yesterday, glad to get that game behind us. We missed Metchie.

It's going to be hard to beat a very good Georgia team twice. Georgia will play their best game of the year. We will have to slow down #19, he killed us in the last game.

Good games today.

• Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭

Paul Finebaum is just going to be insufferable!

• Options
    edited January 1, 2022 6:00AM

@s4ny said:
    Paul Finebaum is just going to be insufferable!

Daryall from Columbus
    I-man
    Jim from Tuscaloosa.....gonna be classic

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go Dawgs!! Rematch...

• Options

I would like to see Georgia win a Championship. BTW I think they will.

Ralph

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2022 2:53PM

It's going to be hard to beat a very good Georgia team twice.

it won't be Georgia vs. Alabama, it'll be Kirby Smart vs. Nick Saban and the latter should win that battle......................again.

yesterdays games came down to a good Cincinnati defense getting no help from their offense. through most of the 2nd quarter I felt the Bearcats were winning the filed position game but they kept going three-and-out on every possession. it seemed clear that eventually the defense would make one mistake and they finally did.

that Michigan game was a nightmare, two Int's and then two fumbles on four straight possessions, they were lucky to recover the 2nd fumble. Michigan played terribly and they were up against it anyway, the Wolverines just don't have much on offense to compete with the best schools, they were fortunate to play Ohio State on a day when the Buckeyes played maybe their worst game in 2-3 years. heck, OSU lost the game on the opening kick-off: first they forgot to field the ball and ended up at about the seven yard line, then had to take a time-out because Ryan Day didn't know what to do, thought they had a touch back?? the biggest game of his coaching career thus far and he has brain cramp. :p

Michigan sensed blood and just steamrolled them after that. I think it was good for Michigan to play in the game yesterday, though, they need that experience going forward.

• Options

I look at things a little different. Michigan and Cincy got throttled by much better teams yesterday. No different then OSU getting mauled by Alabama in last years National Championship game. The best teams usually win. When you make mistakes it exacerbates things.

Happy New Year all

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2022 5:18PM

Another boring title game as we already saw this game a few weeks ago. And Michigan still sucks.

Be a good night to go bowling.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

ROSE BOWL - Nice the Bucs have got the lead but alot of players being injured and taken off the field -

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Touchdown Bowl brought to you by No Defense

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2022 6:45PM

@MsMorrisine said:

Kinda reminds me of the NBA All Star Game..........But alot more fun to watch!

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:

That's partly because the Buckeyes have the #1 rated offense in the country.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Very entertaining game.

Ralph

• Options

Ohio State has been struggling with their defensive backfield and the problems that presents for the past two seasons. the only thing that saves them is that they can score more points than the opponent when they're playing good. they did that tonight even with a few key receivers missing.

yes, they did/do have the top rated offense, but what they did today was sort of sick --- 575 passing yards and 683 yards total offense. Stroud is a FRESHMAN and should do OK next year, some of the throws he made were as good as it gets.

• Options

@Brick said:
    Very entertaining game.

That it was

m

• Options

@coolstanley said:

@MsMorrisine said:

Not present at Oregon, Michigan. No 1 offense is great only if it shows up during a game.

• Options

@Steven59 said:

@coolstanley said:

@MsMorrisine said:

Not present at Oregon, Michigan. No 1 offense is great only if it shows up during a game.

Oregon was Stroud's 2nd start. Stroud had almost 400 yds passing with zero interceptions against UM.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Hey Cool, how did the SEC do in bowls this year, I know you keep track on the #s.

• Options

@Bullsitter said:
    Hey Cool, how did the SEC do in bowls this year, I know you keep track on the #s.

BIG did the best at 6-3. SEC didnt do too bad because they won both playoff games but have a losing record.5-7

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:

@Bullsitter said:

BIG did the best at 6-3. SEC didnt do too bad because they won both playoff games but have a losing record.5-7

So, with LSU vs KSU Tuesday night we could go 5-8...... :/
    We did go 3-1 against the BIG10...I guess that's something.

Brian Kelly at LSU seems strange.

• Options

@Bullsitter said:

@coolstanley said:

@Bullsitter said:

So, with LSU vs KSU Tuesday night we could go 5-8...... :/
    We did go 3-1 against the BIG10...I guess that's something.

Brian Kelly at LSU seems strange.

Yes but then sec guaranteed of at least one more win in the NCG, so they could finish at 500. For the whole year sec went 3-2 against the BIG. Only other game played was Penn State vs Auburn.

BIG won 2 of the 3 new years six bowls, and defeated two power five conference champions(PITT and Utah).

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Georgia and Alabama are the two best teams in the country. Not a surprise they are in the finals. As of the last decade or two the SEC is the best conference. The only team that could upset them in my opinion is the Buckeyes. They would have a punchers chance due to their offense, but would be a decided underdog. They would have to defeat both SEC teams due to the way the semis would be set up. A near impossible task. BIG has several really good teams and I would call them the second best conference. But I feel no pride in saying our also - rans beat your also- rans

Ralph

• Options

@Brick said:
    Georgia and Alabama are the two best teams in the country.

Its really hard to tell if they are the two best when you had three power five conference champions who didnt get a chance to compete. Baylor won 12 games this year. They could've beaten UM too. We will never know. Alabama should've lost to both Auburn and LSU.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Oregon was Stroud's 2nd start. Stroud had almost 400 yds passing with zero interceptions against UM

this young man, who is only an 18 year old Freshman, will be just fine. he is accurate, smart and has a soft touch when you consider how strong his arm is. the big question now: with Chris Olave going pro, who will come in to help out Garrett Wilson and Jaxon Smith-Njigba?? both Alabama and Ohio State look to be positioned to run 1-2 for a couple of years based just on who is with the schools right now. it's too bad the NCA Power Five programs refuse to play each other during the regular season.

• Options

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd be OK with a 6-team playoff with 5 conference champions and then a 6th team (Cincinnati this year). I don't have any real restrictions on the 6th team but, if they're not a conference champion, they're automatically seeded 6th. > @keets said:

Oregon was Stroud's 2nd start. Stroud had almost 400 yds passing with zero interceptions against UM

this young man, who is only an 18 year old Freshman, will be just fine. he is accurate, smart and has a soft touch when you consider how strong his arm is. the big question now: with Chris Olave going pro, who will come in to help out Garrett Wilson and Jaxon Smith-Njigba?? both Alabama and Ohio State look to be positioned to run 1-2 for a couple of years based just on who is with the schools right now. it's too bad the NCA Power Five programs refuse to play each other during the regular season.

Stroud's performance against Utah was incredible. Not just the huge numbers he put up but the throws he made. Some amazing pinpoint accuracy throws. He played out of his mind.

• Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭

North Dakota State vs Montana State in FCS National Championship. NDSU has won 8 of the last 10 and is going for #9 today. Should be a great game!

• Options

Make it nine for the most dominating program in college football the last decade

• Options

@VikingDude said:
    Make it nine for the most dominating program in college football the last decade

Great record but they played zero power five schools this year.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

One interesting item the announcers said was that OT Cordell Volson was playing in his 65th game which they thought was an NCAA record.