Home Sports Talk

The official 2021 college football thread

Comments

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree. I hate the early games. This game should be prime time. Especially a top 5 matchup.

the early start is good and bad. good, because when I'm excited about a game the waiting destroys me. bad, because the whole day is shot, not enough time before or after to accomplish anything.

this Saturday I'll be up and ready to go by 8 o'clock, trying to stay busy around the house to work off some nervous energy. I'll probably clean, horse around with the dogs and bother my Wife in between goofing around on the PC. post-Thansgiving Day trauma will probably be in play and I think some children or family might be coming over. just don't get between me and the TV once the clock strikes 12!! :p

while waiting for the Polls this Tuesday, the game on Saturday, Conference Championships followed by the CFP semi's, I am left with only one thought: the match-up I think everyone wants to see is Georgia vs. Ohio State. I certainly hope they both make it through to let that happen, it would be a barn-burning lallopalooza of a Football game, the best defense vs. the best offense.

there's every possibility that one or both may slip, but right now it'd be a great final.

• VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭

Playoff brackets announced:
    https://ncaa.com/brackets/football/fcs/2021

with the CFP ranking out this evening it seems that the "Committee" has realized they have to allow a non-Power Conference Team into the party. there were several years when UCF made a run but was always pushed away, now Cincinnati seems to be a shoe-in based on two things: their current rank as Number Four and by virtue of their win over Notre Dame.

Current CFP rankings:
    1. Georgia (11-0)
    2. Ohio State (10-1)
    3. Alabama (10-1)
    4. Cincinnati (11-0)
    5. Michigan (10-1)
    6. Notre Dame (10-1)

it will be an interesting two weeks of play coming up. this weekend either Ohio State or Michigan will lose and be out while Alabama has a tough game against Auburn. the winners of those two game must then play their conference championship. Ohio State or Michigan will almost certainly win that game and be in. if Alabama beats both Auburn this week and Georgia next week in the SEC championship, I think both Teams will be in. if Georgia beats Alabama, I think the 'Tide is out.

my most likely outcome to all this, the CFP final four Teams is as follows:
    1. Georgia.
    2. Ohio State or Michigan(if Michigan wins out I think they may be swapped with Cincinnati).
    3. Cincinnati.
    4. Notre Dame or Oklahoma State, probably Notre Dame which will cause that "Committee" to have a nervous breakdown. :D

Notre Dame, by virtue of not belonging to a Conference and stubbornly holding out as an Independent, may be the odd-man-out after the Conference Championship games next weekend. there are still a couple of interesting scenarios that could play out, maybe the most interesting has Michigan, Oklahoma State and Cincinnati all losing. that would cause the committee to have a nervous breakdown!!! any combination of those Teams losing along with Alabama winning would probably cause the committee to faint.

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    Notre Dame, by virtue of not belonging to a Conference and stubbornly holding out as an Independent, may be the odd-man-out after the Conference Championship games next weekend. there are still a couple of interesting scenarios that could play out, maybe the most interesting has Michigan, Oklahoma State and Cincinnati all losing. that would cause the committee to have a nervous breakdown!!! any combination of those Teams losing along with Alabama winning would probably cause the committee to faint.

If Bama wins then both Georgia and Bama will get in. Choosing the last two spots would be difficult if all 3 of the teams you mentioned lose. Would they put in ND over Cincy when Cincy beat them?

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

I think Iowa and whoever is the Big 12 champ gets in.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Alabama
    2. Georgia
    3. Notre Dame
    4. Michigan (Assuming Georgia and Michigan lose competitive games)
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

to be honest, I don't think Alabama belongs in the Top Four, not this year. they have been hanging on by a thread most of the season and have barely beaten a couple of un-ranked Teams, at least one of them at home. if it wasn't for the love of the committee for Alabama, as if it were any other Team, they wouldn't even be in the Top 10. any other Team loses at squeaks by an un-ranked Team at home and they slide 4-5 or more spots, Alabama, one. it's ridiculous.

when they lose to Georgia they shouldn't even be considered and should be matched with Ohio State in on of the top Bowl games.

the trouble with the pairing is that the committee seems to be fixated on having the Power Five represented by Four Conference Champions. that doesn't necessarily mean the best Teams, but it is sort of what they have done it in the past and will likely do this year. I don't know if it's right or not, but some Team always suffers unjustly, is left out and gets one of the prime Bowl games as a consolation prize. that will probably be Notre Dame this season.

I believe that the committee will push Oklahoma State ahead of Notre Dame on Tuesday to justify putting them ahead of Notre Dame if they win their conference. assuming all the other Top Teams win, I would see it like this:
    1. Georgia.
    2. Michigan.
    3. Cincinnati.
    4. Oklahoma State.

that would sort of assure the best Final, Georgia vs. Michigan.

@Brick said:
    1. Alabama
    2. Georgia
    3. Notre Dame
    4. Michigan (Assuming Georgia and Michigan lose competitive games)

There is no way Michigan gets in over Iowa if Michigan loses to Iowa.

Ignore list -Basebal21

No way Iowa gets in. Even if they beat Michigan by 40.

Ralph

@Brick said:
    No way Iowa gets in. Even if they beat Michigan by 40.

Why would they get left out? The BIG conference champ deserves a spot. They would be more deserving than both Michigan and Ohio State.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2021 7:56AM

Interesting comments.... B) .....Oregon sucks.

edited December 5, 2021 8:28AM

Alabama really surprised me, they have shown themselves to be vulnerable all season, barely beating some much weaker Teams. the game yesterday doesn't convince me that Alabama is the better Team, it shows me that Nick Saban is the better coach. Kirby Smart worked for Saban, learned from Saban and has now routinely been beaten by Saban who seems to know him like a book, knows how he thinks within a game.

yesterdays results bring up some difficult decisions for that committee. the three easy choices that they are forced to make are Michigan, Cincinnati and Alabama. the two tough choices are the 4th Team and the final 1-4 ranks.
    --- does anyone really want to see another potential Alabama vs. Georgia match in a month?? I don't.
    --- given the fact that Kelly has announced the job at LSU, should Notre Dame be considered as the 4th Team??
    --- should Baylor be considered and break the "two-loss" rule??

FromMyLoftyPerch the easiest way to make a decision is to eliminate Teams from consideration of the 4th spot. get rid of all the two-loss Teams from the current Top 10: Oklahoma State, Ohio State, Mississippi State, Baylor and the three-loss and laughable Oregon. that leaves two Teams, Notre Dame and Georgia. I just don't think Georgia deserves to be there, no matter how good their defense might be. they lost their "play in game" so they are out. no Team should really get two chances at the title, if you lose your conference Championship game you are automatically out. as much as I don't like Notre Dame and their stubborn, prideful insistence on remaining an Independent and as much as Brian Kelly has helped to sabotage their chances, I think they should be in as the 4th Team.

here's what makes sense to me:
    1. Michigan.
    2. and 3. Alabama and Cincinnati.
    4. Notre Dame.

I think these would be good, competitve games. Michigan and Notre Dame have some good history and Cincinnati would be a tougher opponent than many believe.

edited December 5, 2021 8:58AM

Why award ND when they didn't play in a conference Championship game? All the other teams did.

Georgia would beat the socks off ND.
    ND is out and Georgia is in, you'll see in about an hour.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter @DrBuster

It's official

Alabama
    Michigan
    Georgia
    Cincy

Congrats and good luck ( but not really on the luck part)

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

UGA/Blue should be a good game. And I hope Cincy kills bama.

I believe this is not the first time the loser of the SEC Championship Game got in. There is a prejudice that SEC teams are a good bit tougher and better than teams from other conferences. Personally I believe it is true. I expect Alabama and Georgia will play the title game which won't be close as Georgia wins it all.

Ralph

Georgia has no business being in the playoffs. Only conference champions should've got a spot.

Ignore list -Basebal21

@Bullsitter said:
    Why award ND when they didn't play in a conference Championship game? \

Why award a loser of the game? Better question is ...... what is the point of Georgia playing in yesterdays game when they were advancing win or lose? Why give it their all knowing they are in no matter what? Putting in 2 sec teams is setting up another boring ALL SEC championship game that the entire country does not want to see. Only the conference champions should've made it in. Now we have three power 5 conference champions that wont have a chance to play. Its still a very flawed and PRO sec system that needs to change.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• TabeTabe Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2021 11:51PM

@Brick said:
    I believe this is not the first time the loser of the SEC Championship Game got in.

Heck, we've had teams that didn't even PLAY in the SEC championship game get into the title game. In 2011, LSU - who BEAT Alabama in the regular season IN ALABAMA - won the SEC championship. Alabama, who didn't even play in the SEC title game - meaning they were THIRD at best in their own conference - got into the title game. Alabama ended up winning 21-0 so I guess their selection was semi-justified but no way they should have ever been there.

Making it worse is that Michigan was kept out of the BCS title game a few years earlier because "there shouldn't be rematches in the championship game". Michigan was 11-1, their only loss a 3-pt loss on the road while #2 vs #1 Ohio State. So losing by 3 on the road to #1 was deemed worthy of dropping Michigan in the rankings but losing at home by 3 to #1 was not in the case of Alabama.

@coolstanley said:
    Georgia has no business being in the playoffs. Only conference champions should've got a spot.

But it's not the way it's set up. That's not the criteria. If they made it that way I'd have no issues with it.

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

@coolstanley said:

@Bullsitter said:

Why award a loser of the game? Better question is ...... what is the point of Georgia playing in yesterdays game when they were advancing win or lose? Why give it their all knowing they are in no matter what? Putting in 2 sec teams is setting up another boring ALL SEC championship game that the entire country does not want to see. Only the conference champions should've made it in. Now we have three power 5 conference champions that wont have a chance to play. Its still a very flawed and PRO sec system that needs to change.

Wait a minute, you said Georgia shouldn't be in the playoff and now you're saying Georgia and Bama will be in the Championship game.....how does that work?

@Bullsitter said:

@coolstanley said:

@Bullsitter said:

Wait a minute, you said Georgia shouldn't be in the playoff and now you're saying Georgia and Bama will be in the Championship game.....how does that work?

Any team can have a bad day lol. When 50 percent of the teams in the playoffs are from the same conference is a huge advantage. Lets start putting two BIG teams in every year and see how that goes. I like those odds.

Ignore list -Basebal21

The> @coolstanley said:

Lets start putting two BIG teams in every year and see how that goes. I like those odds.

There are two teams from the BIG
    1. Michigan
    2. OSU little brother....Cincy.... ;)

Hey cool, Utah and OSU going to be a good game.

@Bullsitter said:
    The> @coolstanley said:

Maybe, but I'm not too excited about Utah. I realize they are conference champs, but playing a team with 3 losses is meh. I wanted ND. #5 VS #6 would've been a more interesting matchup.

Ignore list -Basebal21

@coolstanley said:

@Bullsitter said:
    The> @coolstanley said:

Maybe, but I'm not too excited about Utah. I realize they are conference champs, but playing a team with 3 losses is meh. I wanted ND. #5 VS #6 would've been a more interesting matchup.

Utah is good, they whipped our butts the last time we played them. Heck, they beat Oregon twice.

@Bullsitter said:

@coolstanley said:

@Bullsitter said:
    The> @coolstanley said:

Utah is good, they whipped our butts the last time we played them. Heck, they beat Oregon twice.

Agreed they are good. They just got off to a bad start this season. I just remembered that the Buckeyes play Notre Dame next year. First game of the season. They have a tough schedule next year.

Ignore list -Basebal21

OSU - ND would be a much better match up. I'm not saying Utah can't win. Just doesn't have that great anticipation as we get to game time.

Ralph

• TabeTabe Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:

@Bullsitter said:
    The> @coolstanley said:

I believe they switched quarterbacks. They've been rolling for a couple months. They've obliterated Oregon twice.

Utah is a tough game to play. You get no real credit for beating them because they are "Utah". No brand name. But as others already stated they are a real tough out

m

all it takes is one bad game at the end of the season to keep a Team out of the playoff. past that there isn't really any criteria the voters seem to follow. the SEC may or may not have the two best Teams this year but denying that the voters have bias towards that conference is hard to do. it's clear if you watch the voting all season with the various polls and similar scenarios between Teams. this year, the only real thing Alabama has done is continue to win close games against vastly inferior opponents. it's been sort of like the NFL season where it's hard to judge how good anyone is and who will show up in any given week.

I have watched all four Teams play at least twice each. Michigan and Cincinnati have both played well each time I saw them. Georgia played lights out once and laid an egg once. Alabama was hard to judge, I think I saw three games. within each game they looked like they could beat anyone and no one. I just hope in the two games that the best of each Team comes to play hard. if they do that and we get to watch the "best" Teams I think it will rescue the voters. two lopsided games will just call things into doubt again.

there has to be a better, more equitable way to do NCAA Football, but I think it's too entrenched in the money for that to ever happen.

@keets said:
    all it takes is one bad game at the end of the season to keep a Team out of the playoff. past that there isn't really any criteria the voters seem to follow. the SEC may or may not have the two best Teams this year but denying that the voters have bias towards that conference is hard to do. it's clear if you watch the voting all season with the various polls and similar scenarios between Teams. this year, the only real thing Alabama has done is continue to win close games against vastly inferior opponents. it's been sort of like the NFL season where it's hard to judge how good anyone is and who will show up in any given week.

I have watched all four Teams play at least twice each. Michigan and Cincinnati have both played well each time I saw them. Georgia played lights out once and laid an egg once. Alabama was hard to judge, I think I saw three games. within each game they looked like they could beat anyone and no one. I just hope in the two games that the best of each Team comes to play hard. if they do that and we get to watch the "best" Teams I think it will rescue the voters. two lopsided games will just call things into doubt again.

there has to be a better, more equitable way to do NCAA Football, but I think it's too entrenched in the money for that to ever happen.

Al I would be fine with the 5 champs getting in and one at large. 2 teams get a bye in the first round.

Or go to 8. Five champs and 3 at large

m

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@keets said:

Al I would be fine with the 5 champs getting in and one at large. 2 teams get a bye in the first round.

Or go to 8. Five champs and 3 at large

m

Conference championships should be criteria but I still remember those games when Pitt or some other Big East school was mandated to a BCS game because they won that horrible conference. They might have been ranked 25th out of pity but really weren't even a top 25 team! As a Pac-12 fan I should want the conference champ in. However, I want the best teams. Just no space for a marginal conference champ to be mandated in unless you make the playoffs much bigger... like the NCAA hoops tourney where nobody can really complain about not making the tourney if they were on the bubble. Imagine this year if Utah or Iowa (had they beat Michigan) would be in the playoffs!? Yes, Utah is on a roll now but they shouldn't automatically make the playoffs as it's a full season that matters.

Conference championships should be criteria but I still remember those games when Pitt or some other Big East school was mandated to a BCS game because they won that horrible conference. They might have been ranked 25th out of pity but really weren't even a top 25 team! As a Pac-12 fan I should want the conference champ in. However, I want the best teams. Just no space for a marginal conference champ to be mandated in unless you make the playoffs much bigger... like the NCAA hoops tourney where nobody can really complain about not making the tourney if they were on the bubble. Imagine this year if Utah or Iowa (had they beat Michigan) would be in the playoffs!? Yes, Utah is on a roll now but they shouldn't automatically make the playoffs as it's a full season that matters.

They need to get rid of putting in the 'best teams' concept. Because its all subjective. Should be most deserving. If Iowa was good enough to beat Michigan(they clearly weren't) then they should've made the playoffs. Same with Baylor.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭

North Dakota State, winner of 8 of the last 10 FCS Championships, is in the Final again. The dynasty continues!

Some great bowl games today. Michigan state defeats conference champions Pittsburgh. And Purdue defeats Tennessee 48-45 in OT.

SEC - 1-6 bowl record so far.

Ignore list -Basebal21

Odds are they go 2-0 today.

Ralph

BIG TEN 5-0 Bowl record so far.

Ignore list -Basebal21

Its playoffs time.

Ignore list -Basebal21

I'd like to see Bama and Michigan in the final game.
    Got to get by Cincinnati first. They are a very good team, healthy and hungry.

C'mon 2:30..... B)

I hope Cincinnati is not embarrassed. It would be a long time before another non power five gets in unless they expand the tournament.

Ralph

• s4nys4ny Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭

@Brick said:
    I hope Cincinnati is not embarrassed. It would be a long time before another non power five gets in unless they expand the tournament.

Not embarrassed but dominated by Alabama. I hope Michigan beats GA just to see Alabama play MI in the national championship. Then I hope Alabama beats Michigan. Nick Saban is the man!

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭✭✭

YAWN - Alabama wins the National Title AGAIN! Waiting for March madness when the underdog sends the Almighty home!!!!!!!!!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m surprised there’s so little playoff talk on here today.

Can ga turn the tables?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
    edited December 31, 2021 8:40PM

@Bullsitter @DrBuster major congrats and good luck on Jan 10.

mark