Home Sports Talk
Options

The official 2021 college football thread

Comments

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 9, 2021 7:49PM

with about a minute left in the 3rd quarter un-ranked Texas A&M has Alabama in the woodshed 31-24 after having been up 24-10 on the 'Tide at the half. regardless of the outcome it looks like Georgia may be the new No. 1 tomorrow.

• Options

1 Alabama --- lost to un-ranked Texas A&M.
    2 Georgia --- beat no. 18 Auburn.
    3 Iowa --- beat no. 4 Penn State.
    4 Penn State --- lost to no. 3 Iowa.
    5 Cincinnati --- beat un-ranked Temple.
    6 Oklahoma --- beat no. 21 Texas(barely).
    7 Ohio State --- beat un-ranked Maryland.
    8 Oregon --- did not play.
    9 Michigan --- beat un-ranked Nebraska.
    10 BYU --- lost to un-ranked Boise state.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

My current top 10 after week 6.

1. Iowa
    2. Georgia
    3. Cincinnati
    4. Michigan
    5. Ohio State
    6. Oklahoma
    7. Kentucky
    8. Michigan State
    9. Penn State
    10. Alabama

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    Mark, the voting logic never makes sense.

The best example of that is when a team loses a close game to another team ranked above them. Invariably, they will drop. Why? You're supposed to lose to teams ahead of you. Take Penn. They lost by 3 to Iowa on the road. Iowa was ranked ahead of them. Wanna bet on whether Penn drops? It's beyond stupid. Wanna take a bet on how many spots Alabama drops after losing to an unranked team? Wanna bet on whether they're ahead of Penn?

• Options

one maybe two weeks and it's eliminations starting, as in if anyone loses they are pretty sure NOT to be in the playoffs, especially if you become a two-loss Team.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there a dominate team this year? Or just several very good teams?

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 10, 2021 6:39AM

A&M whipped our butts, made plays when they had to. We had our chances, they wanted it more, it happens.
    Season half over with lots of good games to come.

My Top Ten

1.Georgia
    2. Iowa
    3. Cinn
    4. Michigan
    5. Michigan St.
    6. Oklahoma
    7. Penn St.
    8. OSU
    9. Oregon
    10. Bama

• Options

Georgia is overranked every year. Cinci shouldve beaten them in Georgia last year

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:

1. Iowa
    2. Georgia
    3. Cincinnati
    4. Michigan
    5. Ohio State
    6. Oklahoma
    7. Kentucky
    8. Michigan State
    9. Penn State
    10. Alabama

Where's Oregon?

• Options

Georgia is overranked every year. Cinci shouldve beaten them in Georgia last year> @Bullsitter said:

@coolstanley said:

1. Iowa
    2. Georgia
    3. Cincinnati
    4. Michigan
    5. Ohio State
    6. Oklahoma
    7. Kentucky
    8. Michigan State
    9. Penn State
    10. Alabama

Where's Oregon?

Around 12 or 13. They lost to a unranked team.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

OSU has a National Championship offense. They have a middle of the pack defense. I'd have them near the bottom of the top ten. Alabama certainly should not drop 9 spots. Big however many and SEC are both tough conferences. The Champion of each should be in the playoff.

Ralph

• Options

well, that's a little off what I had thought. how is it that Ohio State beat an un-ranked opponent 41-20 and was moved back in the Poll, but Oklahoma beats an un-ranked opponent in the closing seconds 55-48 and moves up?? that's what I call "Poll Bias" by Conference.

I had Alabama as No. 4, Ohio State as No. 5 and Oklahoma as No. 6.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

Iowa played a great 4th quarter...Kinnick Field has been a tough place to play for decades. Folks outside the Big Ten just don't get it until they experience it.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

BIG... 5 teams in top 9 in coaches poll.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

To all the RUSH fans. Enjoy the best band in the land.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTRluWPw08M

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

BIG... 5 teams in top 9 in coaches poll .

I'm realistic, it won't last because those Teams have to play each other and most undefeated Teams will lose at least once to re-shuffle things in the Polls, but it is surprising. after all the years of SEC dominance and Big 10 mocking, things look peculiar. consider Ohio State: they have one of the best Offenses in the NCAA but are suspect and vulnerable on defense. ahead of them are games against current No. 7 Penn State, No. 8 Michigan and No. 10 Michigan State. if they make it through that and things hold true they would have to play No. 2 Iowa in the Big 10 Championship Game.

I think the odds are against them making it through that schedule and into the NCAA Playoff, but if they do it'd be one of the hardest schedules in the history of the Playoff system as we know it today.

• Options

@keets said:
    BIG... 5 teams in top 9 in coaches poll .

I'm realistic, it won't last because those Teams have to play each other and most undefeated Teams will lose at least once to re-shuffle things in the Polls, but it is surprising. after all the years of SEC dominance and Big 10 mocking, things look peculiar. consider Ohio State: they have one of the best Offenses in the NCAA but are suspect and vulnerable on defense. ahead of them are games against current No. 7 Penn State, No. 8 Michigan and No. 10 Michigan State. if they make it through that and things hold true they would have to play No. 2 Iowa in the Big 10 Championship Game.

I think the odds are against them making it through that schedule and into the NCAA Playoff, but if they do it'd be one of the hardest schedules in the history of the Playoff system as we know it today.

Only one out of those four games is on the road. I like their chances.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

another exit from the Top 10 as 7th ranked Penn state falls in the 9th Overtime period to unranked Illinois, 20-18. although Oklahoma won going away they should probably drop to the 4th or 5th spot after being shut-out in the first half against an unranked Team. also, 2nd ranked Cincinnati squeaked past unranked Navy 27-20.

no.'s 8-Oklahoma St. and 10-Oregon are still playing, 4-Alabama and 5-Ohio St. play later this evening. the shake-up continues as these "pretenders" lose to unranked Teams.

• Options

@keets said:
    another exit from the Top 10 as 7th ranked Penn state falls in the 9th Overtime period to unranked Illinois, 20-18. although Oklahoma won going away they should probably drop to the 4th or 5th spot after being shut-out in the first half against an unranked Team. also, 2nd ranked Cincinnati squeaked past unranked Navy 27-20.

no.'s 8-Oklahoma St. and 10-Oregon are still playing, 4-Alabama and 5-Ohio St. play later this evening. the shake-up continues as these "pretenders" lose to unranked Teams.

Holy cow 9 OT's?????? Thats insane.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wake Forest 70
    Army 56
    WF QB Hartman 23-29 458 yards 5 TD 1 rushing TD
    Army 416 yards rushing

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:

@keets said:

Look at the box score. It's a hoot

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@coolstanley said:

@keets said:

I watched 2 inept offenses that couldn’t gain 2 yards 8.5 times. Lol

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:

@Justacommeman said:

@coolstanley said:

@keets said:

I watched 2 inept offenses that couldn’t gain 2 yards 8.5 times. Lol

Aaaaaaaand this would be the game that destroyed my weekend today 😳

• Options

Illinois sort of exposed Penn State's inability to stop the run until late in the 4th quarter. it was a challenge to watch in OT but there were a few good defensive stops on both sides.

I just arrived home, gonna check the scores and the Alabama game quick before I settle in and watch Ohio State vs. Indiana.

• Options

Oregon with another impressive road win

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

I missed the first have of Illinois-Penn State. Illinois came to play and managed to find a way to win despite 3 turnovers. I thought the Illini running game was terrific and that 240 lb freshman back is going to be someone. Illinois basically abandoned their running game in OT. I would not call the offenses inept... there was some great defensive plays on both sides. Tough game for Penn State to loose. But frankly... they were outplayed but still had opportunities to win.

• Options
    edited October 23, 2021 5:09PM

@coinkat said:
    I missed the first have of Illinois-Penn State. Illinois came to play and managed to find a way to win despite 3 turnovers. I thought the Illini running game was terrific and that 240 lb freshman back is going to be someone. Illinois basically abandoned their running game in OT. I would not call the offenses inept... there was some great defensive plays on both sides. Tough game for Penn State to loose. But frankly... they were outplayed but still had opportunities to win.

The OT's from the 3 yard line were hard to watch. I think PSU had to punt once ; )

Great win for Illinois just the same. They deserved to win

m

• Options
    edited October 23, 2021 5:40PM

@keets said:
    Illinois sort of exposed Penn State's inability to stop the run until late in the 4th quarter. it was a challenge to watch in OT but there were a few good defensive stops on both sides.

I just arrived home, gonna check the scores and the Alabama game quick before I settle in and watch Ohio State vs. Indiana.

Enjoy the OSU game. I just turned it off at 7-7. Indiana will now be down to their 3rd string QB after that TD. He ain't coming back. I know exactly how this ends up. I can't watch ; )

m

• Options

This was the first OT game I have watched since the rules change... I understand why there was a change just not sure I agree with it. Having a game end in a tie is not the worst outcome.

• Options

Mark, the Indiana QB, Tuttle, is back, but the Hoosiers are rotating between him and McCulley. as to Ohio State, since the loss to Oregon they have really tightened up although the defense is still worrisome in the back-end. they are scary on offense with Freshman and Seniors, so it might be a good year if they don't get stupid like they usually do.

• Options

@keets said:
    Mark, the Indiana QB, Tuttle, is back, but the Hoosiers are rotating between him and McCulley. as to Ohio State, since the loss to Oregon they have really tightened up although the defense is still worrisome in the back-end. they are scary on offense with Freshman and Seniors, so it might be a good year if they don't get stupid like they usually do.

Looks like I made the right choice!

m

• Options

well, 7th-Oklahoma St. lost and 8th-Penn State lost, Ohio State seems safe but right now Alabama is struggling with Tennessee, up 21-17 with about nine minutes left in the 3rd quarter. that's one to watch.

• Options

@keets said:
    well, 7th-Oklahoma St. lost and 8th-Penn State lost, Ohio State seems safe but right now Alabama is struggling with Tennessee, up 21-17 with about nine minutes left in the 3rd quarter. that's one to watch.

I don't think rankings much matter and it's hard to tell where teams really stand. For example neither Michigan or OSU has beat anyone noteworthy. I guess Michigan beating Wisconsin and Nebraska on the road is decent but those arent anything but middle of the road teams.

m

• Options

Teams in the Top 10 have been falling all season. it's something that happens every year but this has been exceptional, 2-3 Teams each week. the rankings were more significant for Ohio State last week than they are now and will be next week: they had four Teams in the Top 10 on their schedule, after this week it will down to two, Michigan and Michigan State. that will be down to one after next week because those two Teams play on Saturday.

it's shaping up that the Teams in the Top 10 need to keep winning because someone ahead of them will eventually lose and clear their path to the playoff. it won't be determined by who wins but by who loses. Cincinnati and Oklahoma seem like the weakest Teams but Ohio State or Michigan will be eliminated and then either Georgia or Alabama. if I had to pick a Top Four right now I wouldn't know where to start, it could be anyone.

• Options

the trend of top 10 Teams falling continues. this week it's Number 9 Wake Forest falling to unranked UNC while Number 3 Michigan State is trailing unranked Purdue by 10 points as the 4th quarter begins.

• Options

and Michigan State falls after enjoying a week in the Top Four at Number 3.

• Options

Alabama barely survives at home against a five loss team.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Alabama barely survives at home against a five loss team.

I believe this will factor into the "committee" moving them out of the Number 2 slot where I personally don't believe they deserve to be. there is some inequality in how that group votes and wants to bolster the status of the SEC. nothing against Nick Saban and Alabama, but they aren't one of the top Teams this year and should slide down to about 6-7 today, they have a stout defense but not much on offense. I watched most of yesterday's game and assumed they would lose at the end but Coach "O" and LSU are even worse on offense.

wherever they place Alabama really doesn't matter. they will eventually lose to Georgia during the SEC playoff, become a two-loss Team and end the debate.

JMHO, of course.

today I see Georgia as Number 1 followed by (whatever order you choose to place) Cincinnati, Oregon and Ohio State. the only "fly in the ointment" would be a move by Michigan or Oklahoma ahead of OSU or Cincinnati. the twist to that is that Oklahoma was idle and Michigan had a closer margin of victory against Nebraska than OSU.

here's my Top 10:
    1 Georgia
    2 Oregon
    3 Ohio State
    4 Cincinnati
    5 Michigan
    6 Oklahoma
    7 Alabama
    8 Notre Dame
    9 Oklahoma State
    10 Michigan State

• Options

although the CFP is scheduled to start on December 31st, it actually begins today for The Ohio State Buckeyes. first it's Number 7 Michigan State, next week it's Number 6 Michigan and then it's the Big 10 Championship Game followed by the actual CFP.

funny how it's worked out to a 5-game playoff to get to the Championship!! I don't know if they'll be able to pull it off but it should be a fun ride. The Buckeyes have the offense , the fly-in-the-ointment if their defensive secondary. I hold my breath when opponents pass.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damn Ohio State 49 Mich State - 0 and it's ONLY half time.
    Guessing you can remove Mich State from the top 10

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

Looks like the Spartans stayed in Michigan today.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

MSU is/was too dependent on Walker and once they got behind their only true weapon was taken away. this is a good lead up to next week. it'll be interesting to see what Oregon does tonight against Number 23 Utah.

• Options

@keets said:

[ it'll be interesting to see what Oregon does tonight against Number 23 Utah.]

It "Would have been interesting" IF Oregon actually showed up.

• Options

HUGE game in Ann Arbor next Saturday.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

It "Would have been interesting" IF Oregon actually showed up.

The Ducks looked uninterested, to say the least, I must have said out loud "These guys BEAT OSU" about a dozen times during the course of that game. simply put, both Oregon and OSU took distinctly different paths after that game, one up and one down.

.......................back to the carnage within the Top 10: Number 3 Oregon, Number 7 Michigan State and Number 10 Wake Forest all succumb to the rigors of The NCAA.

the next two weeks should be very, very interesting as the Top 10 losses will continue: OSU vs. Michigan and Alabama vs. Georgia meaning that at least two Teams in the Top 10 are destined to lose and potentially be eliminated from the play-off pool.

• Options

@coolstanley said:
    [HUGE game in Ann Arbor next Saturday.]

Big time. I wondered why this game is always scheduled for 12 NOON? Sure would make a fantastic game for prime time TV.

• Options

Tradition.

Ralph

• Options

@Brick said:
    Tradition.

Kegs and Eggs - Let's get ready................

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:

@coolstanley said:

Big time. I wondered why this game is always scheduled for 12 NOON? Sure would make a fantastic game for prime time TV.

Because the schools don't want another 8+ hours of drinking before the game.

• Options

@Steven59 said:

@coolstanley said:

I agree. I hate the early games. This game should be prime time. Especially a top 5 matchup.

Ignore list -Basebal21