Home Sports Talk
Options

The official 2021 college football thread

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's that time people, the 2021 college football season is finally here!

Comments

• Options

College football rankings: Top 25

1 Alabama
    2 Oklahoma
    3 Clemson
    4 Ohio State
    5 Georgia
    6 Texas A&M
    7 Iowa State
    8 Cincinnati
    9 Notre Dame
    10 North Carolina
    11 Oregon
    12 Wisconsin
    13 Florida
    14 Miami (FL)
    15 Southern California
    16 LSU
    17 Indiana
    18 Iowa
    19 Penn State
    20 Washington
    21 Texas
    22 Coastal Carolina
    23 Louisiana
    24 Utah
    25 Arizona State

• Options

Just look at this picture of Nick Saban smiling, he's definitely up to something this season.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 26, 2021 4:49AM

I only wonder what the ACC/Big 10/Big 12 will be called after they unite?? as someone who's been lobbying for an expanded Playoff to at least 16 games and much, much more inter-conference play, especially among the better Teams, this is good news.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 20, 2021 2:57AM

Some Week 1 Games:
    Georgia vs Clemson
    Bama vs Miami
    LSU vs UCLA
    Wisconsin vs Penn State
    Notre Dame vs FSU
    OSU vs Minnesota

• Options

I've heard some very good things about Oklahoma, I can't wait to see them in action!

• Options

Interesting, Kirk Herbstreit thinks he has the solution to fixing college football, he says it needs one commissioner.

Kirk Herbstreit Reveals His ‘Solution’ For College Football

Realignment rumors have been running wild ever since the Oklahoma Sooners and Texas Longhorns announced that they’re leaving the Big 12 for the SEC. It’s a legitimate problem that college football needs to figure out sooner than later.

During a recent appearance on Colin Cowherd’s podcast, ESPN analyst Kirk Herbstreit revealed how college football can sort out this issue.

Herbstreit believes college football just needs one commissioner that handles all the drama involving the Power Five conferences.

“Roger Goodell is the commissioner of the NFL. We have five Roger Goodell’s right now. That’s a problem where we’re heading,” Herbstreit told Cowherd. “We need a commissioner. We need all these conference commissioners to report to the commissioner of college football.”

In theory, this “commissioner of college football” would be responsible for the future of the sport.

“They could maybe pull away from the NCAA and create their own governing body. And one voice is going to care about this sport.”

There are plenty of fans who are intrigued by Herbstreit’s suggestion, but they’re just not sure how this type of system would get approved.

“Will the Power Five actually want to be or allow themselves to be bossed though,” one fan asked. “I love the idea, but how do you implement? How do you take their power away willingly?”

That’s a really fair question. It’s tough to envision the top commissioners in the sport actually reporting to a higher power.

• Options

Oh my goodness, Kirk Herstreit is certainly all over the place lately spreading his message about how to fix college football, check out this video, roll the footage!

• Options

Why did Urban cut Tebow, he is now returning to SEC Nation.

• Options

Blooper from last year.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go Dawgs!!

• Options

@Bullsitter said:
    Blooper from last year.

😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Options

I'm just sitting here watching Nebraska put up a stinker against Illinois, there losing 23-9 right now in the 3rd. They're second half effort has been pathetic to say the least.

• Options

I watched the first half then switched over to the UCLA game for the first quarter.

Next Saturday we really get going.

• Options

@Bullsitter said:
    I watched the first half then switched over to the UCLA game for the first quarter.

Next Saturday we really get going.

That's what I'm looking forward to, this weekend is just a little taste, the full course is next weekend!

• Options

Illinois - 30
    Nebraska - 22

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

All things considered, Illinois played a decent game. Special teams were outstanding. Their opening drive of the 3rd quarter was masterful... around 8 minutes. Martinez can’t beat you if he is not on the field. My biggest criticism of Illinois was the offensive line... I expected a better performance.

As for Nebraska, mistakes offset big plays and ended some drives. Time of possession helped Illinois. Beliema did a terrific job for a season opener. Frost has his work cut out for him.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

Kansas rushed the field after beating South Dakota 17-14, it's the first win Kansas has had since 2019.

• Options

Well, my home state is off to a garbage start, Duke lost to Charlotte, and UNC was upset by Virginia Tech, we're laying eggs all over the place, that's just perfect, that's just perfect!

• Options

GO DAWGS!!!!

• Options

I'm watching Wisconsin vs Penn State, and I'm eating one of these Motor City Pizza Company three meat pizzas, man this thing is absolutely delicious!

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    I'm watching Wisconsin vs Penn State, and I'm eating one of these Motor City Pizza Company three meat pizzas, man this thing is absolutely delicious!

>

I hope you drank a lot of coffee this morning. This game has set college football back 50 years.

FYI proper Detroit style pizza is amazing

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:

@doubledragon said:

>

I hope you drank a lot of coffee this morning. This game has set college football back 50 years.

FYI proper Detroit style pizza is amazing

m

I'm sorry but doubledragon has fallen asleep due to the boring Wisconsin vs Penn State game. This is his phone typing this message. Have a great day.

• Options

We got a good game going now with Wisconsin and Penn State, it's 16-10 in the 4th quarter, and both fighters are in the middle of the ring exchanging blows!

• Options
    edited September 4, 2021 12:39PM

4th and goal for Wisconsin at the 8 yard line with just over 2:00 to go, Penn State leads 16-10, this is the game.

• Options

It's picked off by Penn State, game over, Penn State wins!

• Options

No, Wisconsin gets the ball back, and they throw another pick, now it's game over, Penn State wins.

Penn State - 16
    Wisconsin - 10

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good second half.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

The Miami Hurricanes are getting spanked by Alabama, it's 41-3 right now.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

I just bought a couple of the pepperoni ones from Costco yesterday. I had them before and they are fabulous. EASILY the best frozen pizza you can buy.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@doubledragon said:

I just bought a couple of the pepperoni ones from Costco yesterday. I had them before and they are fabulous. EASILY the best frozen pizza you can buy.

I love them, I'm addicted to them, I've had the pepperoni and it is also delicious, by far the best frozen pizza you can buy! 🖒

• Options

I wanted pizza and wings for the UGA Clemson game....wife is making some hello fresh non-season-opener crap, sigh. At least I got some 10% ipa's to wash it down.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is Oklahoma overranked? They only beat Tulane by 5 points.

Iowa dominates Indiana.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

OK, yes, Tulane wanted the win.

Dawgs looks good on D, need some scores and that missed fg was wide from the get go.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Loving the UCLA beat down of LSU. UCLA has tons of weapons

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

I'm a bit concerned about Dabo Swinney, he doesn't look so well after last night's loss to Georgia....

• Options
    edited September 5, 2021 10:09AM

.#1 played for OSU last year. Had 4 catches for 126 yards.

• Options

Oregon is leading Ohio State 35-28 with 7:00 to go in the 4th, it's getting hot in here!

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ducks win!

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ducks were the better team today. Congratulations to them.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

@Brick said:
    Ducks were the better team today. Congratulations to them.

I was amazed how the Ducks were running the ball today. Good win for the Pac 12 because there have been some lean years lately to put it nicely.

• Options

Ducks are dripping in 4 and 5 star players, they better start playing on the big stage well, if not, then it speaks to coaching. So on one hand, was not expecting the W today, but on the other, certainly it was in them in terms of overall quality players. Tough to win at OSU, even w/o their best defensive player, came through.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

@spacehayduke said:
    Ducks are dripping in 4 and 5 star players, they better start playing on the big stage well, if not, then it speaks to coaching. So on one hand, was not expecting the W today, but on the other, certainly it was in them in terms of overall quality players. Tough to win at OSU, even w/o their best defensive player, came through.

I didn't realize Oregon had that many 4 and 5 star players. This webpage is pretty interesting, fwiw. Ranking the schools by composite rating of recruits. They have Oregon 12th and, most interesting as a Pac-12 homer, Stanford at 20th (I suppose U$C isn't surprised after that beat down last night). Amazing the disparity from 1, 2 and 3 though. They are just playing a different game with that many 5 star recruits! They have more 5 star recruits than UCLA has 4 star recruits. Lol. Just a completely different league... or should be. Those top few teams are DRIPPING in 4 and 5 star players. Pretty impressive!

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

• Options

Actually for 2021, Oregon is 9th for team talent composite, but yes G, A, and OSU as 1-3 have many more. Oregon is ranked 6th and 7th overall for the 2021 and 2022 recruiting classes respectively. So they are clearly getting top 10 talent now for the past several years. Because of their Nike patriarch, their facilities are as good as anywhere, and that helps recruit talent and allows for said talent to maximize their potential. Plus Eugene is a great college town, with great sports quality across the board (Track Town USA, great basketball and great baseball/softball teams, etc.). So with all that in place and this high profile win over OSU, the upside will just keep getting higher. So as long as they have the coaching, they have a sustainably high level football future. Take that with UCLA, U dub, USC, and ASU who all can recruit strong, and Pac-12 is going to compete well in the Power 5 and likely better than the past 10 years where only Oregon made it to the NCAA championship game 2 times (lost to Auburn and Ohio State).

The odd league out at this point is the Big 12, great that they got 4 new teams, but honestly, losing UT and OU makes them the weakest of the Power 5 at least in football.

Best, SH

• Options

Go Dawgs, beat those Cocks!!

• Options

I'm sitting here watching Notre Dame vs Wisconsin, pretty good game so far, Notre Dame leads 10-3 right now in the 2nd quarter.

• Options

Wow, Texas Tech is getting spanked by Texas 42-14, this is surprising because Texas Tech has a 3-0 record, I guess we found out the truth about them today, Texas Tech is a fraud, a lie, they're a bigger lie than Clinton.

• Options
    edited September 25, 2021 11:30AM

Notre Dame and Wisconsin are now tied up at 10-10, this is a good game, both teams are in their panties, exchanging blows in the center of the ring.

• Options

Don't be a funny band, just don't!

• Options

Georgia is destroying Vanderbilt 35-0, and it's only the 2nd quarter, wow.

• Options

Penn State is spanking Villanova 37-3, that game is in the 4th quarter, Penn State has a pretty good team this season.