Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

A December to Remember...Show your Presents!

Comments

• Options
    voxels123voxels123 Posts: 240 ✭✭✭

That Olajuwon is awesome

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 11, 2021 4:21PM

@rexvos said:

1. I hate cards with Qualifiers especially OC and I am not a fan of multi player cards

As a fan of multi player cards I think you bought the greatest multi-player card of all time. Nice pickup.

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KingOfMorganDollar said:

@mintonlypls said:
    My thoughtful wife bought me this card as a retirement gift...hanging it up December 18th after 34 years!

Imagine after all those years you have 5 working days left to go a true dream for many. I would call and take the week off and call it more than well deserved.

Neat to see how he was 3rd in home runs on the back of the card. What is interesting is that when he retired the HR list was Ruth -1, Foxx - 2, Mantle - 3, Williams - 4. Amazing how in about 6 years it would change dramatically with Aaron, Mays, Killebrew, Robinson all taking up spots 1, 3, 4, and 5.

Speaking of the back just noticed on the 1961 season next to the runs there is a big black mark like an ink dot from a pen. What the heck is it?

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keith...

It is a black print dot...no pen mark.

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    I am really excited to add this one to the fold. While corners are where you can make the big money, let them go and you can save a ton and still get a beautiful card. That’s always been my thought process with respect to vintage cards. Part of that is price driven, of course, but part is the simple fact that the other attributes of a card matter as much of not more to my eye. In fact until I was about 11, I thought vintage cards came with rounded corners. 😂 So despite the two obviously flawed corners, the rest of this card leapt out at me - great clarity for this specific release, really nice centering left to right and a little off but not distractingly so top to bottom. Surface is clean as is the back and from one of the more classic sets around. I also love the fact that it’s also free advertising for something that was just starting to pop up in America…

…color TV. 😳

Without further ado…

1955 Bowman #202 Mickey Mantle

My favorite Mantle. Many actually hate the card. I used to tell people at card shows that it was my favorite and they would all give a bad look.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭✭✭

@parthur1607 said:
    Picked these up today at a local junk shop. $5 for about 25 of them. I have never seen pre-cut sheets like this. Not much value to them I don’t think but I thought they were neat. Does anyone know if PSA will grade these? I wouldn’t really care if they graded well I would just like to have a few slabbed to preserve them.

Six card panels were common inserts inside of kids' magazines in the late 70s/early 80s that you could purchase through Scholastic Book Club orders in elementary school. Dynamite magazine is one that I specifically recall having them inside. I believe many of the leftover supply that never made it into the magazines are commonly available on eBay.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Canes8387899101 said:
    Picked up a tough one for my '59 set.

Canes there is a PSA 7 example in the buy and sell for $20.
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1067744/psa-graded-misc-sports-20-each#latest

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@brad31 said:
    That Rose is amazing. A really nice card of a toughie.

That set in general is amazing. May I ask for more details:
    How did you find a nice ungraded set like that?
    What did you pay for it?
    How does the Munson look?

Thanks,
    BC

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing, congrats. Beauty example.

@DM23HOF said:
    Wow, some strong 7s on the first page that look like 8s, that 86 Jordan sticker that is 100% worthy of the 10 grade, the PSA 8 1971 Mike Ryan looks like a 9, the 62s and 60s on this page, that 71 Rose— was a fun browse.

I reeled in a monster fish today with this early Babe. With the m101 and the 1917s having left our solar system, this is really the one when it comes to early Ruth, pre-Goudey Ruth, with Ruth pitching. It is a 1915 spring training Ruth image - taken at the the Red Sox spring facility in Hot Springs Arkansas. Has not left my hands all day. Consolidated a ton of 60s-80s stuff to make it happen yet never been happier with a collection decision. Been dying to pair an early Ruth pitching card with my #144 for a while now.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats DM23HOF! That card would be a great cornerstone for any collection. One to be proud of.

• Options
    slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

picked this one up .. quite the ink shift on it