Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Bruce's amazing coins

2»

Comments

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

TDN's really BIG coins, the 1794 and the 1804 dollars, did not attract a bid at 30% under his acquisition cost for those coins. Perhaps the market is a little soft for such numismatic rarities due to the great collections to recently be up for auction. Pogue, Simpson recently and Newman, Gardner in the past 2-3 years has created a glut of rarities that the market is not able to absorb.

Great coins on sale for bargain prices........ opportunity that will not happen for many years. All of the great collections are being sold, but the buyers are more than just passive. The buyers of today probably do not have to play at the historic levels of our past 5-10 years.

OINK

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OldIndianNutKase said:
    TDN's really BIG coins, the 1794 and the 1804 dollars, did not attract a bid at 30% under his acquisition cost for those coins. Perhaps the market is a little soft for such numismatic rarities due to the great collections to recently be up for auction. Pogue, Simpson recently and Newman, Gardner in the past 2-3 years has created a glut of rarities that the market is not able to absorb.

Great coins on sale for bargain prices........ opportunity that will not happen for many years. All of the great collections are being sold, but the buyers are more than just passive. The buyers of today probably do not have to play at the historic levels of our past 5-10 years.

OINK

With these buyers leaving, we need new buyers to enter. Who are the up and comers?

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ProfHaroldHill said:

@batumi said:

I remember watching that episode, and while the 100 grand seemed like an incredible amount for a nickel, I was shocked even then, of the nickel being ran through-if I recollect right-a pay phone. I guess I must qualify as being old!

I remember the episode well!

It was a coin operated newspaper rack, and the nickel thief had to steal the bags of collected nickels from the newspaper vendor to search through for the 1913 nickel! (PF64 to PF58 in 90 minutes!)

Even as a young, inexperienced collector, I too was shocked by the idea of it going into circulation like that.

The writers/producers probably had no idea how carefully a rarity like that has to be handled to preserve its quality/value, when they wrote that episode.

Thankfully the coin dropped in the newspaper rack slot was a stand-in. :)

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OldIndianNutKase said:

OINK

Your 30% figure sounds as if you didn’t take the buyer’s premium into account.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:

@JesseKraft said:

@Zoins said:

@JesseKraft said:

@tradedollarnut said:
    In my collecting career, I have been privileged to own at one time or another:

Gem chain cent & specimen ameri
    2 1913 liberty head nickels
    Gem 1894-s dime
    Gem 1876-cc twenty cent piece
    Several 1796 quarters
    1827 original, restrike and copper pattern quarters
    Gem 1796 half
    Norweb 1838-O half
    3 different 1794 dollars - two on the condition census
    A restrike and an original 1804 dollar
    The finest Gobrecht dollar
    The gem 1851&52 dollars
    2 1870-s dollars
    4 1884 and 3 1885 trade dollars

It’s truly been a fun ride

The ANS is accepting donations! :)

I remember someone getting a very large tax deduction to donate a substantial collection.

What are the tax benefits to donating coins?

It's a 100% tax deduction based on an appraisal from a third party. Not too bad!

Deduction as in receiving a full deduction from income vs. a credit as a reduction in the calculated tax expense. So in effect, 20-30% of the value of the collection unless you are the President in which case it doesn't help to adjust the tax liability below zero.

It’s a deduction off your income, not a credit against taxes. Of course.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ProfHaroldHill said:

@1northcoin said:

Probably a Hollywood stunt-coin.

B)

• Options
    edited November 23, 2021 7:59AM

I found this thread again while looking up Bruce / Black Cat's 1885 Trade Dollar which was posted in this thread already.

For an update, here's Bruce's Holy Trinity which was posted recently. Thanks for sharing your coins @tradedollarnut!

1804 Dollar - Class I - Dexter-Dunham-Morelan Specimen

1894-S Dime - Eliasberg-Morelan Specimen

1913 Liberty Nickel - Eliasberg-Morelan Specimen

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know who Bruce is but he has amazing taste in coins. Thanks for sharing.

• Options
    gschwernkgschwernk Posts: 341 ✭✭✭✭✭

The holy trinity is needed for my 100 Greatest Coin collection. Since I can't afford them, I would be happy to accept a donation.

• Options
    edited November 23, 2021 9:14AM

@jesbroken said:
    Here are some of my favorite pics. These were from the 2011 era listed on the forum. So wondrous a numismatic legacy that Bruce has enjoyed. Congrats and thanks for your contributions to the forum.
    Jim
    [...]

Amazing coins! Thanks for sharing Jim!

It's such a pleasure to have Bruce on the forums and sharing his coins and thoughts over the years!

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bruce has so many Ex's and still holds on to the best :smiley:
    Had mentioned it before, would really love to see them whenever he exhibits it.

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@OldIndianNutKase said:

OINK

With these buyers leaving, we need new buyers to enter. Who are the up and comers?

Who would be the financier? the desire is there, the $ isn't.

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1northcoin said:

@ProfHaroldHill said:

@1northcoin said:

B)

Who remembers the Hawaii Five-O 1913 Liberty Nickel episode?

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:

@1northcoin said:

@ProfHaroldHill said:

@1northcoin said:

B)

Who remembers the Hawaii Five-O 1913 Liberty Nickel episode?

I have it saved on my computer.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,797 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bruce has class act coins as shown here but he is even more of a class act as a person.

Take it from me. I know.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options

@oreville said:
    Bruce has class act coins as shown here but he is even more of a class act as a person.

Take it from me. I know.

I only know Bruce from the perspective of collecting but I agree he's a class act in his passion and desire to help everyone achieve theirs.

• Options
    edited November 28, 2021 7:08PM

Here's a great article on Bruce's coins:

Treasures from The Bruce Morelan Collection

There are 7 showcased coins, some of which are already in this thread. Here's one more with a great provenance.

1796 Draped Bust Dime
    PCGS MS66+ CAC POP 404/2/1
    Provenance: James A. Stack; Bruce Morelan

• Options

Looks like Bruce (tradedollarnut) only put his acquisitions into new holders with his name on the label on occasion. He seems to respect the prior provenance and history more than most collectors.

When I saw the Hansen collection I was saddened to see every one of he acquisitions reslabbed with no mention of prior provenance. History lost and our hobby loses.

• Options
    edited November 27, 2021 3:22PM

@oreville said:
    Looks like Bruce (tradedollarnut) only put his acquisitions into new holders with his name on the label on occasion. He seems to respect the prior provenance and history more than most collectors.

When I saw the Hansen collection I was saddened to see every one of he acquisitions reslabbed with no mention of prior provenance. History lost and our hobby loses.

What’s the thought process behind bringing up Dell in this thread? Can we just enjoy Bruce’s coins?

If you really want to compare how collectors keep track of provenance, please do it in another thread and then we can include others like Simpson, Pogue, Newman, and others.

This isn’t my first, second, or third choice of topic, but since you brought it up, I’ll mention that I’m not sure what considerations go into the label provenance, but his biggest coins only have his name after they are reholdered from what I’ve seen. He mentioned he’ll always think of the 1794 plugged dollar as the Carter coin but only his name is on it now (from “Neil/Carter/Contursi”). I am curious why this happened given his statement on Amon Carter, but let’s leave Dell and others out of this thread.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll give Bruce credit, he is a true collector at heart and isn’t merely throwing around money. You can see the passion as he slowly builds a set with well matched coins.

• Options
    edited November 27, 2021 4:05PM

@cameonut2011 said:
    I’ll give Bruce credit, he is a true collector at heart and isn’t merely throwing around money. You can see the passion as he slowly builds a set with well matched coins.

Bruce has a lot of passion and cares for the hobby. In addition to his coins, I love his threads investigating the details of various coins including Trade Dollars, Gobrecht Dollars, 1913 Liberty Nickels and others.

I don’t really see many or anyone just throwing around money at the upper end. Coin collecting is a marathon, not a sprint. When you listen to the video interviews of wealthy collectors, they tend to be really into their coins and Bruce is no exception here.

• Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bruce has amazing coins!

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2021 10:01AM

@Byers said:
    Bruce has amazing coins!

He certainly does!

After the Holy Trinity, I'm excited to see what comes next!

Bruce's collecting has gone through so many phases and each step he makes a mark.

• Options
    edited November 28, 2021 10:55AM

@jesbroken said:
    Here are some of my favorite pics. These were from the 2011 era listed on the forum. So wondrous a numismatic legacy that Bruce has enjoyed. Congrats and thanks for your contributions to the forum.
    Jim

[...]

Thanks Jim (again)!

I never realized Bruce collected Morgans so these are great to see.

If Bruce @tradedollarnut wants a new collecting direction after Early American Coins and the Holy Trinity, perhaps errors are a new opportunity. The following is a Virgil Brand - Amon Carter coin that is coming up. It's graded PCGS MS64 and there's only one other Morgan obverse die cap, a 1903 graded PCGS AU50. @FredWeinberg called this one "The Best Error Known" so it could be an interesting opportunity.

See more here:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1067174/the-best-error-known-per-fred-weinberg-brand-carter-1886-obverse-die-cap-at-greatcollections-men#latest

• Options

I really enjoy looking at TDN’s 1886 Morgan Obverse Die Cap. It is one of my favorites.

• Options
    edited November 28, 2021 11:02AM

@oreville said:
    I really enjoy looking at TDN’s 1886 Morgan Obverse Die Cap. It is one of my favorites.

It’s not his yet but it could be an interesting opportunity for Bruce given his history with Morgan dollars and admiration of Amon Carter. I was just wondering what he will collect next when I recalled his admiration of Amon Carter and this was one of Amon’s favorite coins. Are any of Bruce’s other coins provenanced to Amon?

I also know Bruce appreciates James A. Stack given his posts and the 1796 dime above. Are any of Bruce’s other coins also from James Stack?

By the way, I noticed @tradedollarnut hasn’t logged in for a while. I hope he’s just on vacation and comes back soon!

• Options

I think TDN has moved to a box of 20 and will focus on ultra rarities.

• Options
    edited November 28, 2021 11:05AM

@cameonut2011 said:

I agree, but what’s next? He’s certainly not collecting condition rarities any more.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@cameonut2011 said:

I agree, but what’s next? He’s certainly not collecting condition rarities any more.

I think he wants to focus on major rarities and coins with a significant numismatic history. The error Morgan is interesting but wouldn’t be in the same league as the other coins.

• Options
    edited November 28, 2021 11:55AM

@cameonut2011 said:

@Zoins said:

@cameonut2011 said:

I think he wants to focus on major rarities and coins with a significant numismatic history. The error Morgan is interesting but wouldn’t be in the same league as the other coins.

But maybe it could be? It’s certainly a Top 10 major rarity for errors. More generally, it’s rare, distinctive, has a provenance he appreciates and is not a condition rarity. It’s also silver and Bruce seems to have an affinity for silver after passing on the 1822 HE and 1933 DE.

I actually didn’t think of it until I saw all the Morgans above and Amon Carter came up.

• Options

Oh sorry, Did not realize TDN is not the owner of the 1886 Morgan Obverse Die Cap YET!

• Options
    edited November 28, 2021 7:08PM

Bruce hasn't shown many gold coins, but when he does, they are top notch! Will there be more?

1799 Draped Bust Eagle
    PCGS MS65+ CAC POP 2/1 (0/1 variety)
    Provenance: F.C.C. Boyd; Oliver Jung; D. Brent Pogue; Bruce Morelan

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

That eagle is stunning!

• Options
    edited November 29, 2021 12:26AM

Here's a great article on the 1794 silver plug dollar.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/rj-magazine/worlds-most-expensive-coin-a-life-changer-for-las-vegas-man-2182508/

The best part of the article is Bruce's wife's response to winning the coin. How many of us have similar experiences after a lot of planning, strategy and nervousness to get a coin we really want?

“We were bogged down in that war fog — you know, figuring that this guy was bidding, that guy was gonna buy it,” recalled Sperber, the founder of Legend Numismatics, a rare-coin firm based in New Jersey. “So we came in there in a real paranoid state. Bruce, being the uber-collector that he is, just had to have this coin.”
    [...]
    In the end, their battle plan was simple: shock and awe.
    [...]
    He called out to Kelley, his second wife of eight years, “We got it!

Her reaction was something along the lines of “That’s nice, dear.

A nice thing about this article is that it includes a timeline of the coin by John Danreuther. The provenance chain is quite long and distinguished, and includes three forum members.

1. Virgil Brand
    2. Armin Brand
    3. Colonel Edward Howland Robinson (E.H.R.) Green
    4. Burdette Garner (B.G.) Johnson
    5. Art & Paul Kagin
    6. Will W. (W.W.) Neil
    7. Amon Giles Carter Sr.
    8. Amon Carter Jr.
    9. Anthony Terranova
    10. Marvin Browder
    11. Andy Lustig
    12. Knoxville Collection
    13. Jay Parrino
    14. Steve Contursi
    15. Cardinal Foundation
    16. Bruce Morelan

• Options
    edited January 13, 2022 8:58PM

Bruce's quarter was just acquired by GreatCollections for $2.35 million!

It's great to see how many of Pogue's coins Bruce was able to obtain given how much he respected the collection.

Read more here:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1069438/greatcollections-acquires-1796-quarter-for-2-35-million#latest

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is Bruce now selling it all???

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file