Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Bruce's amazing coins

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 23, 2021 2:17AM in U.S. Coin Forum

This is a thread to celebrate all of Bruce's amazing coins. He's had so many of them over the years and I've enjoyed them in many different threads.

Thanks for sharing your coins and thoughts. You've made the boards a wonderful place to be :)

Post any of Bruce's coins here :)

Here are a few that I've enjoyed.

1794 $1 - PCGS SP66 POP 1/0

1795 $1 - PCGS MS65 POP 2/1

1838 $1 J-84 Restrike PCGS PR65 POP 5/0

1876 $1 Trade Dollar - PCGS MS67 POP 1/0

It's amazing that this coin is still registered with an old cert number and TrueView. It doesn't hurt that it's still a 1/0.

1913 Liberty Nickel - PCGS PR65 - POP 1/0

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

No doubt they are amazing coins....Thanks for the TruViews, might make a copy for a wall poster.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in coincurrence. :love:

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the second one best, jmo

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I could look at that 1876 Trade dollar all day! <3

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut
    Now is the time for you to have someone to make a Digital Album akin to the one used by PCGS in their Registry Sets. I would gladly buy a copy that would contain some of the most unobtainable coins(for most of us) in numismatic history. Please do so.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

@jesbroken said:
    @tradedollarnut
    Now is the time for you to have someone to make a Digital Album akin to the one used by PCGS in their Registry Sets. I would gladly buy a copy that would contain some of the most unobtainable coins(for most of us) in numismatic history. Please do so.
    Jim

Definitely. I would love to see a digital and print album of all of Bruce's coins over time. He has an amazing and discerning eye for beautiful and important coins.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

Come on Bruce. Give us this chance to view all of your past and current coins. I will wear a bib so as not to drool on the Album.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely stunning coins!

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:
    In my collecting career, I have been privileged to own at one time or another:

Gem chain cent & specimen ameri
    2 1913 liberty head nickels
    Gem 1894-s dime
    Gem 1876-cc twenty cent piece
    Several 1796 quarters
    Gem 1796 half
    Norweb 1838-O half
    3 different 1794 dollars - two on the condition census
    A restrike and an original 1804 dollar
    The finest Gobrecht dollar
    The gem 1851&52 dollars
    2 1870-s dollars
    4 1884 and 3 1885 trade dollars

It’s truly been a fun ride

You use past tense---do you plan to continue to collect?

• Options

@Gazes said:

@tradedollarnut said:

Gem 1894-s dime
    Several 1796 quarters
    Gem 1796 half
    Norweb 1838-O half
    The gem 1851&52 dollars
    2 1870-s dollars

"has been" and "have been" are present perfect, not past tense, which would be "I was privileged".

Present perfect progressive tense describes an action that began in the past, continues in the present, and may continue into the future.

• Options

@Gazes said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@Gazes said:

@tradedollarnut said:

Gem 1894-s dime
    Several 1796 quarters
    Gem 1796 half
    Norweb 1838-O half
    The gem 1851&52 dollars
    2 1870-s dollars

"has been" and "have been" are present perfect, not past tense, which would be "I was privileged".

Present perfect progressive tense describes an action that began in the past, continues in the present, and may continue into the future.

Oh geez, im just curious if he plans on continuing collecting

So am I. I was just pointing out that the way he phrased it did not indicate (by default) that he was done collecting.

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:

Gem 1894-s dime
    Several 1796 quarters
    Gem 1796 half
    Norweb 1838-O half
    The gem 1851&52 dollars
    2 1870-s dollars

Now it's time for rare whiskies.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any one of those coins could be the prized piece in a collection.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    DDRDDR Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

@DDR said:

Great to see that one! TDN had an entire collection of chopmarked Trades. Would be great to see more of them!

• Options
    edited September 12, 2020 10:15PM

Here's TDN's Trade Dollar set:

https://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistry/alltimeset/87428

This set is insane:

• POP 1/0: 14 coins
    • POP 1/1: 2 coins
    • POP 2/1: 1 coin

Looks like all the coins are CAC too!

Love the die cracks on this one!

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

Complying with the OP's request, here is one that I understand Bruce owned, at least briefly, and would be included as one of the "2 1913 Liberty Head Nickels" on his above posted list.

My photo of it was taken at the Portland Money Show back when it was still in the NGC holder as a PF 64 and identified as "The Hawaii Five-O Coin."

Otherwise known as the Olsen specimen it was notable at the time it was the subject of a Hawaii Five-O show as the U.S. coin which had sold for the largest sum. Ironically Bruce was able to make his own history by giving that distinction to another coin in more recent years that still holds the record.

And here is a link to a prior thread with more details about the show and the coin's auction history after I photographed it.

An excerpt from one my posts on the thread:

"In the 1973 episode of Hawaii Five-0 titled, "The $100,000 Dollar Nickel" (which was based on the theft of the Olsen Specimen of the 1913 Liberty Head Nickel that had just set the record for the price paid for a single coin the year prior in 1972), there was an interesting parallel to the real life theft subject of this thread. In both cases the coin(s) were stolen at a coin show by a thief who used a distraction. In the fictional TV episode the con artist's attractive wife provides the distraction as character Arnie Price examines a dealer's coins at the coin show being held in Waikiki's Ilikai Hotel.

For any not familiar with the celebrity history of this coin, as above noted it was the first coin to sell for $100,000. In 2010 it was sold to an undisclosed party for the sum of $3,737,500."

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/11851545#Comment_11851545

• Options
    edited September 12, 2020 10:57PM

@1northcoin said:
    Complying with the OP's request, here is one that I understand Bruce owned, at least briefly, and would be included as one of the "2 1913 Liberty Head Nickels" on his above posted list.

My photo of it was taken at the Portland Money Show back when it was still in the NGC holder as a PF 64 and identified as "The Hawaii Five-O Coin."

Otherwise known as the Olsen specimen it was notable at the time it was the subject of a Hawaii Five-O show as the U.S. coin which had sold for the largest sum. Ironically Bruce was able to make his own history by giving that distinction to another coin in more recent years that still holds the record.

Great coin! If Bruce ever gets the chance to own the Walton 1913 Liberty nickel, I think he should go for it. Then he would have owned all 3 of the publicly available specimens.

• Options
    shortnockshortnock Posts: 371 ✭✭✭

Woooooffff!

• Options

@Zoins said:
    Here's TDN's Trade Dollar set:

https://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistry/alltimeset/87428

This set is insane:

• POP 1/0: 14 coins
    • POP 1/1: 2 coins
    • POP 2/1: 1 coin

Looks like all the coins are CAC too!

Love the die cracks on this one!

Thanks for the link.

• Options

Auction week is here.

• Options
    edited October 6, 2020 12:05AM

@1northcoin said:

Auction week is here.

Wishing for the best and over $10M :)

Some stocks have been on a tear recently, including CLCT, so I hope we see some good action.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@1northcoin said:

Great coin! If Bruce ever gets the chance to own the Walton 1913 Liberty nickel, I think he should go for it. Then he would have owned all 3 of the publicly available specimens.

Isn't the Walton one the one that is mediocre? I mix them up.

• Options
    edited October 6, 2020 1:14AM

@cameonut2011 said:

@Zoins said:

@1northcoin said:

It's PCGS PR63 which you might consider it mediocre given the company, but it's still nice to get them all. It sold for $3.1M in 2013.

1. Eliasberg Specimen - PCGS PR66
    2. Olsen Specimen - NGC MS64 CAC
    3. Walton Specimen - PCGS PR63

• Options

@Zoins said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@Zoins said:

@1northcoin said:

It's PCGS PR63 which you might consider it mediocre given the company, but it's still nice to get them all. It sold for $3.1M in 2013.

It has nothing to do with the plastic. The coin looks lightly cleaned to me.

• Options
    edited October 6, 2020 1:40AM

@cameonut2011 said:

@Zoins said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@Zoins said:

@1northcoin said:

That doesn't really affect the goal of getting them all.

One can come up reasons to not get it, but it's still nice to get all possible.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of coins lacking bids so far. Hopefully the action pics up on 10/8!

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of my Favs was the 38o half he had in the old no line fatty. His dollars speak for them self

• Options
    TradesWithChopsTradesWithChops Posts: 640 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 7, 2020 10:47AM

Heres a few I own that are ex-Bruce (I think?) coins:

If im wrong, TDN can fact check me

Minor Variety Trade dollar's with chop marks set:
    More Than It's Chopped Up To Be

• Options

@kaz said:

Love that one

• Options

@DDR said:
    OK, Zoins, here you go, a couple of chop marked Trade Dollars previously owned by TDN:

David- that 74-P is marvelous!

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's the same sensation that most of us coin collectors have when we acquire our own prized coins. Each coin has a story to tell, and your willingness to share your collection on this forum has been a major contribution. Stick around, will you?

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@Boosibri said:
    Lots of coins lacking bids so far. Hopefully the action pics up on 10/8!

Less than 24 hours to go* and the Dexter 1804 PCGS PF65 Dollar and the 1794 PCGS SP66 CAC dollar both have zero bids. Several other early federal coins have no bidding activity.

*Current as of 9:25 PM EST, with the auction scheduled for 10/8/2010 at 7:30 PM EST.

• Options
    batumibatumi Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

@1northcoin said:

And here is a link to a prior thread with more details about the show and the coin's auction history after I photographed it.

An excerpt from one my posts on the thread:

"In the 1973 episode of Hawaii Five-0 titled, "The $100,000 Dollar Nickel" (which was based on the theft of the Olsen Specimen of the 1913 Liberty Head Nickel that had just set the record for the price paid for a single coin the year prior in 1972), there was an interesting parallel to the real life theft subject of this thread. In both cases the coin(s) were stolen at a coin show by a thief who used a distraction. In the fictional TV episode the con artist's attractive wife provides the distraction as character Arnie Price examines a dealer's coins at the coin show being held in Waikiki's Ilikai Hotel.

For any not familiar with the celebrity history of this coin, as above noted it was the first coin to sell for $100,000. In 2010 it was sold to an undisclosed party for the sum of $3,737,500."

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/11851545#Comment_11851545

I remember watching that episode, and while the 100 grand seemed like an incredible amount for a nickel, I was shocked even then, of the nickel being ran through-if I recollect right-a pay phone. I guess I must qualify as being old!

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@Zoins said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@Zoins said:

@1northcoin said:

Not his style to own less than the best. The "nice to get" is likely in your own mind, not his. ;):)

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2020 6:48AM

@Catbert said:

@Zoins said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@Zoins said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@Zoins said:

@1northcoin said:

Not his style to own less than the best. The "nice to get" is likely in your own mind, not his. ;):)

I'll always remember his response to my thread here. Very classy.

@tradedollarnut said:
    I remember the pride and joy that Speety felt when he completed his [and his dad's] seated dollar set with the damaged example that was affordable to them. I think any of us would feel that same pride despite the condition.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/876724/hk-685-r8-santa-monica-breakwater-so-called-dollar-rarity-or-condition#latest

• Options
    JesseKraftJesseKraft Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:

Gem 1894-s dime
    Several 1796 quarters
    1827 original, restrike and copper pattern quarters
    Gem 1796 half
    Norweb 1838-O half
    The gem 1851&52 dollars
    2 1870-s dollars

The ANS is accepting donations! :)

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
    Resolute Americana Curator of American Numismatics
    American Numismatic Society
    New York City

Member of the American Numismatic Association (ANA), British Numismatic Society (BNS), New York Numismatic Club (NYNC), Early American Copper (EAC), the Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), U.S. Mexican Numismatic Association (USMNA), Liberty Seated Collectors Club (LSCC), Token and Medal Society (TAMS), and life member of the Atlantic County Numismatic Society (ACNS).
    Become a member of the American Numismatic Society!

• Options
    edited October 8, 2020 6:50AM

@JesseKraft said:

@tradedollarnut said:

Gem 1894-s dime
    Several 1796 quarters
    Gem 1796 half
    Norweb 1838-O half
    The gem 1851&52 dollars
    2 1870-s dollars

I remember someone getting a very large tax deduction to donate a substantial collection.

What are the tax benefits to donating coins?

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very good if you have a very large tax bill!

@Zoins said:

@JesseKraft said:

@tradedollarnut said:

Gem 1894-s dime
    Several 1796 quarters
    Gem 1796 half
    Norweb 1838-O half
    The gem 1851&52 dollars
    2 1870-s dollars

I remember someone getting a very large tax deduction to donate a substantial collection.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@JesseKraft said:

@tradedollarnut said:

Gem 1894-s dime
    Several 1796 quarters
    Gem 1796 half
    Norweb 1838-O half
    The gem 1851&52 dollars
    2 1870-s dollars

It's a 100% tax deduction based on an appraisal from a third party. Not too bad!

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
    New York City

Member of the American Numismatic Association (ANA), British Numismatic Society (BNS), New York Numismatic Club (NYNC), Early American Copper (EAC), the Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), U.S. Mexican Numismatic Association (USMNA), Liberty Seated Collectors Club (LSCC), Token and Medal Society (TAMS), and life member of the Atlantic County Numismatic Society (ACNS).

• Options

@Boosibri said:

@JesseKraft said:

@Zoins said:

@JesseKraft said:

@tradedollarnut said:

Gem 1894-s dime
    Several 1796 quarters
    Gem 1796 half
    Norweb 1838-O half
    The gem 1851&52 dollars
    2 1870-s dollars

It's a 100% tax deduction based on an appraisal from a third party. Not too bad!

Deduction as in receiving a full deduction from income vs. a credit as a reduction in the calculated tax expense. So in effect, 20-30% of the value of the collection unless you are the President in which case it doesn't help to adjust the tax liability below zero.

I tried to hit the "Agree," "Like," and "LOL" buttons for this, but it wouldn't allow me.

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
    New York City

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file