Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

$10M 'Flowing Hair' 1794 US dollar set for auction in Vegas

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like an exciting event for the numismatic community.

Beaumont Enterprise
Ken Ritter, Associated Press

-Bruce Morelan poses for a portrait holding a rare 1794 U.S. silver dollar, said to be among the first ever minted, Thursday, Aug. 6, 2020, in Las Vegas. Morelan, owner of the silver dollar said to be among most expensive ever sold, is preparing to put the coin up for public auction in Las Vegas.

LAS VEGAS (AP) — The owner of a 1794 U.S. silver dollar said to be among the first ever minted and shown to be the most expensive ever sold is preparing to put the coin up for public auction in Las Vegas.

Experts say the piece dubbed the Flowing Hair Silver Dollar might again fetch the $10 million that Las Vegas resident Bruce Morelan spent to buy it in 2013.

“This coin is so valuable because it has been identified as perhaps the first piece made in silver” in the young United States, said Douglas Mudd, director of the American Numismatic Association museum in Colorado Springs, Colorado, where the coin used to be displayed.

Article continues in link.

https://www.beaumontenterprise.com/news/article/10M-Flowing-Hair-1794-US-dollar-set-for-15470395.php#photo-19788252

Comments

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 9, 2020 2:51PM

Wording a little different than that in the initial Legend's press release. Some hedging here on the "first" issue. A well written article overall and was interested to see the term "specimen" impliedly defined as "above mint condition."

"Brett Charville, president of Professional Coin Grading Service of Santa Ana, California, certifies Morelan’s coin is authentic. He grades it a “specimen,” above mint condition, and a 66 on a scale with 70 being perfect."

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

We really need more publications of videos for this coin :)

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow!

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinosaurus said:
    The thing I love about this coin is the defined central feather detail - you just don't see that on early dollars.

+1

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

And Bruce is a contributing member here. Doesn't get any better. I wish him the best of luck.....I'm sure he has mixed feelings about selling.......it will go to a good home.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best of luck Bruce.

• Options
    TomthecoinguyTomthecoinguy Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 9, 2020 5:40PM

@Coinosaurus said:
    The popular media gets in trouble quickly when venturing into numismatics. Its makes you wonder what else they mess up, that you are not so expert about.

This reminds me of what my dad always told me. He said any time he has read a newspaper story that he had first hand knowledge of there were always major errors in it. I have found this to be true in my life as well, with only a couple of examples where I spent a lot of time with the reports.

Accuracy problems with news reports are not a new phenomenon, I have been doing some research reading 100+ year old newspapers. When I find different news reports for the same incident, it is extremely common for them to be contradictory.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

who here has seen this coin in-hand??

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 9, 2020 6:41PM

GL Bruce.

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭✭✭

I looked under my couch cushions and chair and only got $0.45 to put toward the $10 mill. :'(

Beautiful coin though. The feathers are amazing on it.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:

I wish! :)

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing

• Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

We need a contest to guess the hammer price.

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

B)

Coins for sale at link below

https://photos.app.goo.gl/i3Hq4WazXaWPmvH78

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fastfreddie said:
    We need a contest to guess the hammer price.

I think there's a thread already, but not a contest.

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:

I saw this coin at one of the summer ANA's at Rare Coin Wholesalers table. Got to
    hold it and examine it for a minute. Truly a wonder coin. TDN will forever be associated
    with this gem.

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cardinal: I feel anxious just looking at those pictures!

Higashiyama
  • Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cardinal said:

@keets said:

I’ve held it in-hand on a few occasions!😉

And some of those times it was naked.😳

Pretty cool. Perhaps your DNA will forever be with it as I doubt it has been cleaned since or will be in the future.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

The other thread (with 176 posts) covers this very well, including a nice video showing the luster on the 1794!
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1039240/the-bruce-morelan-collection-of-early-dollars-regency-auction-41

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

An amazing coin.... should be an exciting auction....There certainly are individuals with the finances to participate...perhaps not the interest though....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 10, 2020 3:07PM

@cardinal said:

@keets said:

Your loop appears to have a wide paper strip around glass in above pic. This is a good idea viewing rare coins that are raw.

I recently viewed a beautiful uncirculated 1926-S Buffalo with loop, and it almost slipped out of my hand. This careless act most certainly would have damaged coin. I can't count the many times I've thought of it actually happening since...

Thanks for sharing your viewing, and preparation for rarity.

• Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PocketArt said:

@cardinal said:

@keets said:

Your loop appears to have a wide paper strip around glass in above pic. This is a good idea viewing rare coins that are raw.

I recently viewed a beautiful uncirculated 1926-S Buffalo with loop, and it almost slipped out of my hand. This careless act most certainly would have damaged coin. I can't count the many times I've thought of it actually happening since...

Thanks for sharing your viewing, and preparation for rarity.

In the pictures, you can see the coin is over a black surface, and is not that high above that surface. The black surface was actually soft black felt, so even if it fell from my hands at that height it would not have been damaged.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cardinal said:

@keets said:

And some of those times I was naked.😳

TMI. TMI

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:

@cardinal said:

@keets said:

And some of those times I was naked.😳

TMI. TMI

m

Ahhhh...now you know the importance of the letter "T"!!!

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 11, 2020 4:09AM

Thank you for sharing it, and the rest of your collection with us Bruce! I heard a little snippet on the radio news this morning about the coin. Hopefully I will be able to tune in to see the action of this auction.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a little short on cash to join this auction. But I do admit that I think about this coin every time I walk past the site of the original Mint building, which is about a mile from where I live.

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

This coin and these stories/this sale are the fuel that will propel future generations of collectors.

I remember being a kid and hearing about coins like this and the 1804 dollar, chain cent etc. I'd be lying
    if I didn't admit to being 7 or 8 years old and looking through old change jars in my parents closets for one, or maybe a 55 DDO.
    It all starts with a spark.

Good luck Bruce.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cardinal said:

@keets said:

Well if you dropped it you nick off a million dollars 😳. If I would have been given the opportunity to hold that coin raw, I would have gotten a Hazmat Suit in frear that my hands or breath would contaminate a $10million coin that could fit in the palm of my hand. You must be a pro at handling supper value coins 👍.

• Options

@markelman1125 said:

@cardinal said:

@keets said:

Well if you dropped it you nick off a million dollars 😳. If I would have been given the opportunity to hold that coin raw, I would have gotten a Hazmat Suit in frear that my hands or breath would contaminate a $10million coin that could fit in the palm of my hand. You must be a pro at handling supper value coins 👍.

Those photos were taken long before it crossed the $10M price mark, and the table was plush with soft felt to cushion an errand drop. The person would have needed the Hazmat suite would have been the PCGS employee who used a Band Saw to cut the coin out of the holder beforehand!!

• Options

@cardinal said:

Those photos were taken long before it crossed the $10M price mark, and the table was plush with soft felt to cushion an errand drop. The person would have needed the Hazmat suite would have been the PCGS employee who used a Band Saw to cut the coin out of the holder beforehand!!

So this is how our host removes coins for crossovers, reholders, etc...?

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

I think a bandsaw is one of the safest and easiest ways to crack out a coin......not to mention quick.

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:

Four days ago, but not in-hand; there was a rope, two guards, and a glass case in the way.

• Options

@renman95 said:

@keets said:

Four days ago, but not in-hand; there was a rope, two guards, and a glass case in the way.

There is probably a "handling fee".

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:

@renman95 said:

@keets said:

There is probably a "handling fee".

He paid it.

• Options

Bruce I love your style my friend. Next time you’re in the hood....

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

So my bro in law was first on scene when Costco had a pallet of yamazaki 12 for like $75 each. I couldn’t kill him for not calling me because he did buy me one for my bday but still...

• Options

USA Today..........

1794 silver dollar worth $10M for sale by New Jersey dealer: 'This coin is the Holy Grail'

"You have to wonder who was there and who handled it," Sperber said. "If we could test its DNA, it would be incredible."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/08/11/1794-flowing-hair-silver-dollar-10-million-for-sale-nj/3342208001/

• Options

@tradedollarnut said:
    So my bro in law was first on scene when Costco had a pallet of yamazaki 12 for like $75 each. I couldn’t kill him for not calling me because he did buy me one for my bday but still...

You’re lucky to touch the 12 year old Yamasaki for under $175 if you can find it.

mark

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@tradedollarnut said:

You’re lucky to touch the 12 year old Yamasaki for under $175 if you can find it.

mark

Exactly. Would have bought the entire pallet

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Drink a little whiskey eh? ;)

@Justacommeman said:

m

@Justacommeman said:

m

• Options
    edited August 11, 2020 7:52PM

Now redirecting back to the holy grail of coins

m

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file