Home U.S. Coin Forum

Any signs of problems on this common Morgan?

moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is an inexpensive coin, but pretend that it wasn't... :smile:
Looks nice to me... do you experts see any signs of cleaning, bogosity, or other problems?
Thanks!

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Comments

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a whizzed coin from those pics.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Either xf/light clean or au original. Either way, it still has good luster.

Young Numismatist

• moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gumby1234 and @MFeld , is the suspicion of cleaning/whizzing just from general experience, or do you see specific tell-tale hairlines, washed-outness, or some such?

Thanks!
    am

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.

@moursund The halo effect around many of the details. The absence of bag marks especially on the cheek. The wear pattern is quirky also.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• HalfDimeDudeHalfDimeDude Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see a problem coin, cleaned or messed with, yeah some luster but its not across the entire surface. And as mentioned the halo effect. Pass

"That's why I wander and follow La Vie Dansante"

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m more inclined to agree with the whizzed crowd, but a harsh cleaning is also possible. I’d split the baby and just call it altered surfaces.

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

Something is definitely going on with the surfaces... my first thought was cleaned

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
    edited October 13, 2021 4:23PM

Thanks, all!

So, these halos suggest dubious treatment?

I'll give this one (and any similar) the go-by!

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

@moursund said:
    Thanks, all!

So, these halos suggest dubious treatment?

I'll give this one (and any similar) the go-by!

No, the halos don’t necessarily indicate that something was done to the coin. But the sheen doesn’t look natural.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too blurry to make out any light hairlines

Are you taking pictures of this?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks to me like it's been cleaned, too.

• jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree cleaned

@MsMorrisine said:
    Too blurry to make out any light hairlines

Are you taking pictures of this?

No, these are eBay pictures

• anablepanablep Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally, I'd steer clear of an un-slabbed coin from eBay, especially if the pictures are poor quality.

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne

@anablep said:
    Personally, I'd steer clear of an un-slabbed coin from eBay, especially if the pictures are poor quality.

I'll check with the local dealers again, but there are still a few holes for common Morgan's in my album, and I may buy some circulated few from ebay. These tend to be 40 to $50 coins, not likely slabbed, and the 'honestly worn and grey, coins, with good pictures, do look like the best bet.

@moursund there are also many reputable dealers online. I would rather check them than buy on eBay

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin lacks mint luster, which easy enough to capture in a photograph. What you lose is some of the design details because of the overexposed and duller areas. This is not a nice coin.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

The left half of the obverse, including the cheek area, look extensively "wiped".

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gumby1234 said:
    @moursund there are also many reputable dealers online. I would rather check them than buy on eBay

There are also numerous reputable dealers in ebay, including many forum members.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would pass on that coin.... cleaned, unattractive finish with total lack of luster. Cheers, RickO

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

See if you can fill some of those album holes by using Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins forum.
    There are many reputable dealers here.
    Good luck.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

Impaired luster/cleaned for sure.

@WAYNEAS said:
    See if you can fill some of those album holes by using Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins forum.
    There are many reputable dealers here.
    Good luck.
    Wayne

good idea

• AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin is processed beyond acceptable levels.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file