Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Your Numismatic Library *official thread*

Comments

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:

Just painted and now comes stocking it book and keeping my wife pictures and crap in the shelves to a minimum

I like that you have a few spaces for extra tall books.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:

@Boosibri said:

Just painted and now comes stocking it book and keeping my wife pictures and crap in the shelves to a minimum

In book news, the Dasi I bought in Chile is finally shipped and arriving this week or early next.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:

@pruebas said:

@Boosibri said:

In book news, the Dasi I bought in Chile is finally shipped and arriving this week or early next.

The library is looking excellent!

• Options
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BustDMs said:
    Here are a few shelves of my library. Have books in three rooms of the house. My wife won’t allow me more room 😩. My son did the built in bookcases for a Christmas present some years ago 🙂.

Amazing collection.

Did you buy the special bindings or have them done yourself?

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

Treashunt, Frank, #203, many of the bindings I had done myself. Some were deluxe editions from the authors and some were already done when I obtained them.

If you are interested in binding your JR Journals, let me know.

Brad, 089

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is my whole Coin/Paper Money Library.

Thus; My two favorite and most used!

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 20, 2020 9:36AM

I am hoping our hosts will grade these medals as they are part of history, whether if some were deemed counterfeit or not, does not matter if labeled with catalog numbers IMO. Also, my book is signed by Bernard, and if PCGS does grade these for a Registry set, it will be a LOT of fun and expense, but I have some beauties including Liberty "currency" which would be my first ever currency submission.

• Options
  • Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I forgot to mention this 2020 new catalog that came in during the Covid-19 run up. Tony Chibbaro includes a subtitle of "A Complete History Of Private Coinage" on the cover of this catalog of South Carolina Merchant Trade Tokens. It is a 770+ page hardcover that serves as much as a local history compendium as it does as a catalog. In fact, the downside is that it is too large to easily take to shows but it is very complete in its cataloging of known issues.

The very detailed histories of individual merchants & locations add so much to the depth and breadth of the listings that they more than make up for the large size that makes this a stay-at-home companion. It's full color with almost all items pictured along with many, many go-alongs such as period photos, postcards, documents, etc. Please note that although it is A-Z complete on tokens, it is labled Volume 1 with two more works on South Carolina Medals & Misc. and South Carolina Banknotes planned to fulfill the "Complete History" promise on the cover. It is priced at $85 postpaid from the author (direct or on eBay).

• Options

That looks like a really well done book

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

You guys are putting a hole in my heart. I lost all of my books from my lifetime of collecting in the fire that burned my our home down. The ones I miss the most were the ones that were my dads from the 40 & 50’s. I remember going through those books with him when I was a kid. All of those red and blue books with his name in them can never be replaced. That is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the library of coin books I had. I’m slowly replacing the ones I can but nothing can come close to the ones I loved and lost.
    Cherish the your old books for sure cause you never know what’s gonna happen.
    Happy hunting, Joe

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
  • Options

@brg5658 said:
    The Art and Craft of Coinmaking: A History of Minting Technology
    Denis R. Cooper, 1988

One of the most important Numismatic books I’ve ever read and reread. Do your self a favor and get one if you haven’t already done so.

Out of print now for some time and expensive but worth every cent.

I was lucky enough to order a bunch from Charlie Davis when he first imported them in the late 1980’s.

If you can’t find one or don’t have the funds to buy one check it out from the ANA library.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options

@Boosibri said:

Super cool!

• Options

@Boosibri said:

The 1919 work by JT Medina remains numismatically important for anyone interested in Spanish Colonial pieces.
    This coin plated in the book remains unique to this day

That's a beauty!

• Options
    SnapsSnaps Posts: 187 ✭✭✭✭

My latest addition.

• Options

Great references guys. 👍

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog said:
    You guys are putting a hole in my heart. I lost all...

Sorry Joe. :'(

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    HashTagHashTag Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 1, 2020 6:47AM

Currys Chronicles- Official Journal of 4COA
    Was published for many years. I challenge anyone to find more info on Carson City than what appears in these Journals.

With Carson City as my main focus and owning 207 Carson City GSA’s this book is invaluable. I really miss The Carson City Collectors Club of America. Really enjoyed going to the informal meetings at the major shows.

• Options

@MrEureka said:
    One case of fancy stuff. Sort of like a bibliophile’s version of the “Box of 20”. The rest is just a good working library.

Which is your favorite overall?

Which is your favorite binding?

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the barrister bookcase look.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 10, 2020 7:32PM

@BustDMs said:

Which is your favorite overall?

I'm not sure I have a single favorite. The photographic plates of the Colonel Green collections of Half Eagles and Eagles is probably the best for eye candy. The Fonrobert bid book looks like crap, but you can't beat it for the "almost like you were there" effect. And the sentimental favorite is a deluxe binding of A.M. Smith's 1885 "Coins and Coinage - The United States Mint Philadelphia", with a frontispiece featuring an engraved portrait of A. Loudon Snowden, and inscribed by Snowden to his daughter Mary in June, 1885.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 10, 2020 7:50PM

@BustDMs said:

Which is your favorite binding?

That would be the four volume catalog of the Danish Royal Coin Collection, published in 1791.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

Great books everybody! Thanks for sharing them. :)

• Options

New addition:

• Options

Bumping this with my latest addition:

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just got these two in the last couple of weeks. Both in excellent condition and both for a very good price. I bought the Breen book when it came out back in 1988 but the binding was a joke (on me.) The book fell apart after a year or two of use. The one I got appears to be much better.

• Options
  • Options

A few weeks ago, I got Doug Winter’s New Orleans gold book (the signed limited edition) and today I got this one:

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BustDMs said:
    Treashunt, Frank, #203, many of the bindings I had done myself. Some were deluxe editions from the authors and some were already done when I obtained them.

If you are interested in binding your JR Journals, let me know.

Brad, 089

nice, I'll think about it.

I hope you have my book in with the Red Books.

:)

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

Regarding Breen’s encyclopedia, I’m somewhat afraid to use it due to its reputation as being full of errors. I realize that such an undertaking may have a few, but what are y’all’s take on the book’s utility (from a limited library standpoint)?

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    retirednowretirednow Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

@Catbert said:
    Regarding Breen’s encyclopedia, I’m somewhat afraid to use it due to its reputation as being full of errors. I realize that such an undertaking may have a few, but what are y’all’s take on the book’s utility (from a limited library standpoint)?

I like the book, it's definitely an interesting read when you get a new coin to see what it says...

• Options
    Dr_BonesDr_Bones Posts: 67 ✭✭✭

Very nice, enjoy. Never know what secret nugget of information may be found in the pages

Visit USPatterns.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file