Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:
    @dogwood Nice '05-P half... just about perfect for the grade!

• T

Thanks. Especially when it’s graded 35!

We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    RedglobeRedglobe Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

That '05 half looks under graded if it's a 35

Rob
  • Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

I want to thank Lenny for helping me fill an open slot in regards to my 1900 transitional pieces. Here is a Type I / Type II newp...

• T

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options

1908-O Barber Dime in VF...

• T

• Options

Here is another recent newp. The 1896-O Barber Quarter in XF 45 PCGS is hard to find. This one is slightly dark on the reverse with obverse color for the flipside. A real, helpful find from Lenny Rizzo... A nice addition for the Sedulous XF set...

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice 96-O Tim, congratulations.

Another raw newp:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options

@barberkeys That is a sweet coin Vern. The '08-D seems to be starting a mustache there.

Here is another newp for me. Trying to obtain an '07-S quarter in XF that does NOT have an RPM. From the recent StacksBowers auction (auction house pics):

• T

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:
    Here is another recent newp. The 1896-O Barber Quarter in XF 45 PCGS is hard to find. This one is slightly dark on the reverse with obverse color for the flipside. A real, helpful find from Lenny Rizzo... A nice addition for the Sedulous XF set...

nice, and agreed, very tough in higher grades

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    willywilly Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2021 11:54AM

This one was bought last week. Received the coin today really great luster and really nice color
    in the sunlight. Bought a couple of coins from L&C in California and have been happy with the purchases as always over paid for anything decent with CAC.

• Options

@willy said:
    This one was bought last week. Received the coin today really great luster and really nice color! in the sunlight. Bought a couple of coins from LLC in California and have been happy with the purchases as always over paid for anything decent with CAC.

Willy, Wild and vivid coloring on your MS64! The '95 is one of the tougher P mints. - Tim

• Options

@sedulous said:

@willy said:
    This one was bought last week. Received the coin today really great luster and really nice color! in the sunlight. Bought a couple of coins from LLC in California and have been happy with the purchases as always over paid for anything decent with CAC.

Willy, Wild and vivid coloring on your MS64! The '95 is one of the tougher P mints. - Tim

Agreed, tougher P mint.

My 2 best are only XF-40's

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@sedulous said:
    @barberkeys That is a sweet coin Vern. The '08-D seems to be starting a mustache there.

Here is another newp for me. Trying to obtain an '07-S quarter in XF that does NOT have an RPM. From the recent StacksBowers auction (auction house pics):

• T

Criminally underrated (and under-valued) coin with only 57 graded at pcgs in all XF and AU.
    I may have posted this before, can’t remember. XF45

• Options

@dogwood
    Check your mintmark. Does it have anything that resembles this?

1907-S/S/S East RPM

or this? The recognized 1907-S/S (slightly twisted in place) FS-501

Here is my S/S/S East... used to be NGC AU50... https://www.pcgs.com/cert/41382334

• Tim

• Options

Good looking IMO, raw:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Tim, my ‘07s mm looks plain to me.

• Options

So I am watching an online video concerning the January 2021 Houston show and this guy Trent Scwartz talks about how excited he is to pick up a nice, original, crusty Barber Half Dollar. Great to see!

https://youtu.be/Jc1dsSUxm4I

• Tim

• Options

A newp for a younger friend of mine (I can't say YN anymore!). One of the many nice coins received with the help of my other friend Lenny. PC58:

• T

• Options

PC45:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2021 9:58AM

A 1907-S/S/S PC45 newp from Stacks. I was hoping for a non-variety mintmark but got the wild triple or quadruple punched S variety.

• Tim

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:
    A 1907-S/S/S PC45 newp from Stacks. I was hoping for a non-variety mintmark but got the wild triple or quadruple punched S variety.

The the rare "Variety" on the '07 S Quarter is the MM that hasn't been re-punched. Interesting!

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options

Eldorado - What a beauty.

Something for this evening, PC64:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Something nice in ICG, 55:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Here's an interesting selection of 1893 O Halves from my collection.
    >
    >
    First the Good;
    >

>
    I really like this example.
    >
    >
    Next the Bad:
    >
    Example #1 of Bad::

An interesting Struck Thru coin, likely grease? This coin is graded AU 50 by PCGS.
    >
    Example #2 of Bad:

Another example of struck thru with perhaps a Mumps thing going on? This coin is graded AU 50 by PCGS.
    >
    >
    And now for the Ugly:

>
    This one has the Mumps on the OBV with perhaps a struck thru as well? Because of the expanded OBV die (Mumps) the metal didn't strike properly on the Reverse, leaving a VERY weak strike. A little surprising that this coin is graded AU 58 by PCGS. If you purchased this coin site unseen as an AU 58 example would you be happy with it?

• Options

@JeffMTampa

"If you purchased this coin site unseen as an AU 58 example would you be happy with it?"

Is that what happened to you? sight-unseen?

Answer: NO!
    Behind-the-Curtain Answer: Pretty Cool!

• Options

Re-imaged:

I need this in XF... so tough! How past write-ups can say this is common bewilders me. Only reason I have this '06-O is because I obtained it in February 2014 and a collector friend had it for a long time prior to that!

• Tim

• Options
    RedglobeRedglobe Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

06-O... I agree tough date,especially above VF-30

Rob
  • Options

Here is another newp. Thank you to Jon P. A crusty 1902-S Barber Dime in PC45.

• Options

@sedulous said:
    @JeffMTampa

"If you purchased this coin site unseen as an AU 58 example would you be happy with it?"

I bought the Ugly 1893 O at a Heritage Auction many years ago. I thought is was kind of cool and was able to purchase it at a discounted price from retail.

If the coin wasn't assigned an AU 58 grade what would be the grade it should have been assigned? Should it have been net graded to an AU53 or so?

• Options
    edited September 15, 2021 12:48PM

@JeffMTampa said:

@sedulous said:
    @JeffMTampa

I bought the Ugly 1893 O at a Heritage Auction many years ago. I thought is was kind of cool and was able to purchase it at a discounted price from retail.

If the coin wasn't assigned an AU 58 grade what would be the grade it should have been assigned? Should it have been net graded to an AU53 or so?

What gets me Jeff @JeffMTampa is how you can't get higher grade eschillons in uncirculated when a strike is poor. All comparative bets are off, it seems, in higher AU grades. Unlike uncirculated, there is no discerning principles between an AU58 poorly struck vs. an AU58 strongly struck specimen. The difference in strike might make an uncirculated coin less than Gem - all marks or surface quality aside. If I already had the date in a strongly-struck AU58 PCGS, the coin you propose here might be a nice, contrasting, sidebar pick-up. In primary position for my set, no... I would keep looking. As a neat sidebar for showing how a mint can not get it right at all times... AND... as a great specimen resource for further research and study, by all means, yes, of course I would want it (additionally). Would look great in a book for educational purposes (*wink) too.

The answer is unclear, I know, AU58 is unclear as a grade to me whether aesthetics is at issue or not.

• Tim

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:
    Here is another newp. Thank you to Jon P. A crusty 1902-S Barber Dime in PC45.

That is a nice looking Barber. Crusty is the best!

• Options

It might be interesting (or not) to do a chemical analysis to see what "crusty" really consists of.

• Options

Here is what I believe to be a great looker for the 1899-S Barber Quarter. This very recent newp is from Glenn Holsonbake and sits in a PCGS XF45 holder. IMO, definitely CAC-worthy if sent in. Seller's pics:

• Tim

• Options

Wild date repunching on this XF Barber Dime!

• T

• Options

@sedulous said:

• T

You missed the battery in the denticles. That's a rare variety.

• Options

@sedulous said:
    Here is what I believe to be a great looker for the 1899-S Barber Quarter. This very recent newp is from Glenn Holsonbake and sits in a PCGS XF45 holder. IMO, definitely CAC-worthy if sent in. Seller's pics:

• Tim

@sedulous said:

• Tim

I really like it.

Great pick up

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:

@sedulous said:

• T

Huh?

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@Treashunt said:

I really like it.

Great pick up

It just arrived today! I took my own pictures. It looks pretty darn good from an overall perspective. Thanks Frank!

One other thing. I spoke with Jeff (@JeffMTampa) and he suggested I get a computer to control my camera. The new computer is arriving next month after being built by Dell. When you zoom up extremely close in my pics, there is an ever so slight fuzziness which I will correct.

Cheers,

• T

• Options

@sedulous said:

@Treashunt said:

I really like it.

Great pick up

It just arrived today! I took my own pictures. It looks pretty darn good from an overall perspective. Thanks Frank!

One other thing. I spoke with Jeff (@JeffMTampa) and he suggested I get a computer to control my camera. The new computer is arriving next month after being built by Dell. When you zoom up extremely close in my pics, there is an ever so slight fuzziness which I will correct.

Cheers,

• T

Looks great!

My best ever is just a F-12, raw.

As for the computer -- I'm not a fan of Dell.

Years ago I purchased one [actually my son did for me]
    Ordered it with two hard drives, to run mirrored.
    It was supposed to have [?] Raid 1 - to run duplicate [not sure of the program name] instead they installed Raid 0, and when the hard drive died, the back up was useless and it cost me a ton to get my data back from a company in Jersey.

Good luck.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

For tonight, from my friend Dan, PC53:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Continuing the 1894 Dime theme, here's my '94 O, XF 40:
    >

>
    >
    >
    A bit on the scruffy side, but not too bad.
    >
    Who's got the '94 S to post so we can complete the date set?

• Options

This is also a slightly scarcer date in XF.

• Options

@Treashunt said:

@JeffMTampa said:

@sedulous said:

• T

Huh?

Frank, Jeff is saying in the lower left-hand portion of one of the images, I have a red battery light showing "you need to replace the battery". It just so happens to be sitting on top of the denticles there, thus Jeff's hilarious comment.

Tim

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:
    This is also a slightly scarcer date in XF.

That's a very nice looking dime.

• Options
    edited September 25, 2021 2:32PM

A box of graded coins arrived in the mail today from PCGS, including a few Barbers.

I picked up a very nice raw 1899 Barber Half in July. It has a nice blueish tone to it; I think quite attractive. I was fairly confident it would grade AU 58 (just a touch of rub on the cheek), but I was hoping it might get a + grade (for it's originality). Not to be, it came back as an AU 58 only:

>
    I already had an AU 58 so this is not an upgrade, but will replace the coin that's been in the set for the last 7 years.

• Options

@JeffMTampa Jeff, there is something mesmerizing about that half dollar!

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're pulling a Lenny. Perhaps this thread should be moved to the Buy, Sell, Trade? I know I've pissed a bunch off with my stance on this. How would all ya'll feel if I posted every new coin I bought to resell here? I currently have close to 2000 Barbers in inventory.

@JeffMTampa said:
    A box of graded coins arrived in the mail today from PCGS, including a few Barbers.

I picked up a very nice raw 1899 Barber Half in July. It has a nice blueish tone to it; I think quite attractive. I was fairly confident it would grade AU 58 (just a touch of rub on the cheek), but I was hoping it might get a + grade (for it's originality). Not to be, it came back as an AU 58 only:

>
    I already had an AU 58 so this is not an upgrade, but will replace the coin that's been in the set for the last 7 years.

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    You're pulling a Lenny. Perhaps this thread should be moved to the Buy, Sell, Trade? I know I've pissed a bunch off with my stance on this. How would all ya'll feel if I posted every new coin I bought to resell here? I currently have close to 2000 Barbers in inventory.

Hhmmm.....I guess I'm missing something. The coin I posted is not for sale. What's the issue?

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

My bad! I missed the replace part in your post!
    https://ebay.com/itm/274961672670?hash=item4004fe29de:g:V2gAAOSwCr5hT4wg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file