Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mike crossed this one for me....He tried to talk me into cracking it out, but I was too chicken!

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is the 1901-O BQ PC30 Newp for my VF30 set. Sold my PC20 and N12.

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a new pickup for my Barber Quarter set, a 1910 D Quarter in PC AU 58:

This was purchased from Heritage Auctions a few weeks back. It upgraded the AU 53 in my set. It's a tougher date than one would think.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2021 12:50PM

Jeff, Looks like you have a very nice representative example for the Denver 1910. Here is a good looking XF in PCGS:

• Tim

• Options
    edited July 28, 2021 1:32PM

I have assumed everyone knows about the 1906-D over O Barber Dime specimen (ANACS AG03). Perhaps I should check that here:

Pretty cool if you ask me. You can learn about stuff like this and more when you join the Barber Coin Collector Society (BCCS). http://barbercoins.org - optional but my suggestion. The BCCS has low annual dues for many years (at $15 per year).

• T

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ARCO said:

@JeffMTampa said:
    Here's my 1900 S Half:

This was purchased in the current holder with the CAC sticker already applied. It's almost Proof Like.

Outstanding!

That is simply gorgeous, and a great date/mm to boot! Beautiful. I've got a rather nice one here too....No drooling now. ;)

• Options

In an effort to bump the thread here's my AU 58 1907 Barber Halves:

• Options

1907 Eye Candy:

• Options

Wow, awesome coins fellas!

• Options
    DarrellDarrell Posts: 87 ✭✭✭

Eldorado,
    I just sold the 1907 Half to Joe O'Connor this week. It is a 67+ and the only 67 at PCGS or NGC.
    It is one of the best Barber coins that I have seen and was in the Duckor and Shireman collection.
    Sold it to buy a bust quarter (PCGS 66 Ex. James Stack & Pogue). It was a hard to let it go but the bust quarter was
    a better fit for my collection.

Darrell

• Options

Here's a coin that should be in an AU 58 holder, but I don't have the heart to remove it from it's current holder....

• Options
    edited July 30, 2021 2:55PM

@JeffMTampa said:
    ... a coin that should be in an AU 58 holder, but I don't have the heart to remove it from it's current holder....

Jeff, That is one of those coins you keep in holder with CAC sticker for sure. Since the '12 is more of a common date, I am sure you can find another placeholder AU58 out there to make your Registry Set sing. Better yet, if you put that AU55 in the picture slot of the AU58, no one would be the wiser. I agree that is an AU58-looking coin! Very nice quality.

• Options

One of my most favorite coins from Jeff M's (@JeffMTampa) is this 1893-O Barber Quarter with Clashed Dies. Take a look at the die crack eminating on the reverse from the arrows back underneath the far right mintmark placement. I just like the pleasing presence of this coin to the viewer.

• T

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's why that 94-S you got from me wasn't removed from it's holder!

@JeffMTampa said:
    Here's a coin that should be in an AU 58 holder, but I don't have the heart to remove it from it's current holder....

• Options

@Darrell said:
    Eldorado,
    I just sold the 1907 Half to Joe O'Connor this week. It is a 67+ and the only 67 at PCGS or NGC.
    It is one of the best Barber coins that I have seen and was in the Duckor and Shireman collection.
    Sold it to buy a bust quarter (PCGS 66 Ex. James Stack & Pogue). It was a hard to let it go but the bust quarter was
    a better fit for my collection.

Darrell

It's a phenomenal coin....One of my favs, and I haven't even seen it in person. Congrats on the new acquisition.

• Options
    edited August 1, 2021 8:11AM

@amwldcoin said:
    That's why that 94-S you got from me wasn't removed from it's holder!

@JeffMTampa said:

Good memory- that was about 8 years ago. At the time I was building an AU Registry set and didn't need a XF 45 coin. As I recall I cracked it out and it came back in a 55 holder. I sold it many years ago.....

>
    >

Here's the coin Darrell is referencing, but in the AU 55 holder- not the OGH XF 45 I purchased it in.

We get wiser with experience.

• Options

Hard to follow that 1908 S Half, but I'll bite the bullet. Here's a new coin that arrived earlier this week, a 1907 Half in a NGC AU 58 holder. I was thinking of keeping this one in the current holder, but I noticed a very small bloom of PVC on it at the word GOD on the OBV. I'll need to crack it out and get rid of it:

It's VERY close to MS.

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    Hard to follow that 1908 S Half, but I'll bite the bullet. Here's a new coin that arrived earlier this week, a 1907 Half in a NGC AU 58 holder. I was thinking of keeping this one in the current holder, but I noticed a very small bloom of PVC on it at the word GOD on the OBV. I'll need to crack it out and get rid of it:

It's VERY close to MS.

reverse looks Mint state!

• Options

Here's another new pickup that arrived last week, a 1909 Quarter in a NGC AU 58 holder:
    >

>
    >
    I like the color on this one. I've now cracked it out of the holder; sending it to PCGS raw.

• Options

I've posted before, but just got the photos edited a bit. These two deserve to be in this thread: Both OGH, both MS-67, both Louis Eliasberg, both CAC....They are quite a pair.

• Options

@Eldorado9 said:
    I've posted before, but just got the photos edited a bit. These two deserve to be in this thread: Both OGH, both MS-67, both Louis Eliasberg, both CAC....They are quite a pair.

Wow!

• Options

Humbled.

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eldorado - what a matched pair. Congratulations.

P53:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2021 10:25PM

Vern, Great PC53!

For my '03-O Barber Quarter, I like this one and the quality it shows to the viewer being a VF30 level:

This one here might have been one of the nicer 1903-O Barber Quarter specimens (PCGS XF40-graded level) in my humble opinion but its detractors include a mark low in front of Liberty's neck. Toning isn't bad and might be considered pretty good even.

• Tim

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    Humbled.

Me too buddy, me too. I never take it for granted. Best to you.

What would it have been like to be Eliasberg? Walking into that vault for a few hours.....

• Options

@JeffMTampa
    That is a nice looking AU58 Jeff. Congratulations on your pick-up!

pulled out of circulation because a new design came out

I think a little of both. Who knows? Glad they did it though.

• Options
    RedglobeRedglobe Posts: 613 ✭✭✭

The reverse looks uncirculated,could it be possible that this coin didn't actually circulate?
    All I see is 3 areas on the obverse that has any marks,the cheek and the neck area and behind her cap.

Super coin and excellent pickup!

Rob
  • Options

I just noticed...look at the feathers on the arrows...lots of detail.

Rob
  • Options

AU58 but bag friction of an uncirculated coin is my guess too. Maybe Jeff @JeffMTampa would get an unc grade if sent to our hosts. Who knows? AU58+

• Options

@sedulous said:
    AU58 but bag friction of an uncirculated coin is my guess too. Maybe Jeff @JeffMTampa would get an unc grade if sent to our hosts. Who knows? AU58+

Here's a closeup of the face. There's a bit of friction rub, but not across the entire cheek. There doesn't seem to be any wear on the REV. It will be interesting to see the final verdict from our hosts.

• Options

Moving the thread along... I like this '92-P BQ with the accented toning in PC58:

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a Barber obverse I really like. The reverse is quite "Morgany" and not shown. This was one of those pleasant surprises in hand after paying peanuts for the coin because of poor seller photos. A scan doesn't give this AU justice. There's a Trueview coming soon, though. Fingers crossed.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat Pan-Pac.

An ICG event:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2021 4:49AM

Your "ICG event" is really nifty Vern. That is a tougher date for sure.

• Options

Here's a new arrival, an 1896 Barber Dime in a PCGS AU 53 holder:
    >

>
    I picked this up at a Heritage Auction last week; it upgrades a XF 45 in my set. This seems to be a tougher date in XF and up- perhaps undervalued?

• Options
    edited August 7, 2021 1:27PM

@jedm said:
    So many nice Barbers guys! That '15 half is quite the find @JeffMTampa !
    And the ICG '99 O - @barberkeys I love that toning!

Here's an early birthday present that I'm waiting on arrival to add to my set:

You got one! long time coming. Congratulations! VF35? Might even branch into XF territory.

• Options

Here's a 1907 Barber Quarter that arrived earlier this week in a NGC AU 58 holder:
    >

>
    It's already cracked out, ready to be shipped to our hosts for grading tomorrow. I'm hoping to beat the ANA submission rush!

• Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭

Jedm - I saw that one posted and considered buying it, but I'm not much of a quarter guy. Looks like a great coin.

A coin I can barely see but I always wanted one of these.

Micro - O 35 CAC from DKRC.

• Options
    edited August 7, 2021 7:50PM

@jedm @LogPotato Guys!, stellar Barbers. Micro-O is awesome. '99-S quarter has the lowest pop of all Barber quarters in mid-circulated grades. Very scarce!

@JeffMTampa Jeff, I am concerned about the field scratching in front of the nose... other than that, it really looks great!

• Options

@JeffMTampa Jeff, I am concerned about the field scratching in front of the nose... other than that, it really looks great!

>
    @sedulous Ssshhhh...... The grading room might be watching.

• Options

@LogPotato said:
    Jedm - I saw that one posted and considered buying it, but I'm not much of a quarter guy. Looks like a great coin.

A coin I can barely see but I always wanted one of these.

Micro - O 35 CAC from DKRC.

I don't have one of those- nice one!

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of midgrade certified coins posted. What do you guys use to determine whether to get a coin graded? Lots of posts on the forum about this, but just curious about what the Barber crew thinks. Been thinking about getting my quarters graded. Right now they are in a dansco.

• Options
    edited August 8, 2021 6:23PM

@erwindoc said:
    Lots of midgrade certified coins posted. What do you guys use to determine whether to get a coin graded? Lots of posts on the forum about this, but just curious about what the Barber crew thinks. Been thinking about getting my quarters graded. Right now they are in a dansco.

Jason, I have heard varying opinions on this subject. I have heard a minimum of $200. is necessary to make it worth while. For those like me putting together an XF quarter set, some coins can't abide purely by that philosophy. Some may have a personal connection to their coins and would grade them anyways for longer-term storage reasons. I have multiple versions going: XF is holdered. VF30 is or will be holdered, and my VG/F set will NOT be holdered sitting in my Wayte Raymond ring-binder brown holder. Your Washington Quarter MS66 and 67's I would think you would want to holder. For those I seem to remember you were after one toned set and one white set. Were those holdered? or what is your storage on those?

Some thoughts...

• Options

There is really no true answer to your question.It's all an individual decision.If your looking at it as a financial decision then check this sites price guide and E-bay sales plus major auction houses then proceed from there with the coins you have and the assigned grade you think they would be graded at for sending in to grade.From this experience it helps me grade coins better.
    What I have done is my registry (VF-AU) set,my Dansco album (best available coin),and raw singles of semi-key date coins with full rims.
    This makes me not tied into one or 2 grades to look for.
    In other words...price and need

Rob
  • Options

I've submitted Barber dimes and quarter varieties for grading that were worth as low as $25. I wanted to keep the varieties organized and stored together. If you're working on a Registry set, who knows what might make sense? From a practical standpoint I agree that the $200 valuation seems to be the threshold.

Here's another new raw pickup, an 1899 Barber Half:

>
    Already on its way to the grading room.

• Options

Grades have been posted for some of the coins I sent to PCGS back in late June. Here's a 1902 S Barber Half that I purchased raw. Guess the grade:

I'll post the Trueview Image with the Cert Number tomorrow for the grade reveal.

• Options

Rob

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file