Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How many coin books do you own?

hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought it would be fun to see how many coin books people have in their personal library. I am including red books, grading guides and even books on precious metals in my count. I am not including magazines, journals, or auction catalogs. I made the poll public because I am not really concerned with privacy when it comes to the number of books I own. Please list your favorite books in a comment. My favorites are the 2 bust quarter books.

How many coin books do you own?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1-10

I only own very basic reference books on coins and paper money, nine in total. They are all I need.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2021 10:50AM
    1-10

?

• Options
    edited June 23, 2021 10:51AM
    1-10

@Hydrant said:
    Around 10. I buy and download books about coins from the internet but they all disappear over time.

• Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    21-50

I have sold many volumes, sometimes I miss them. It's been fun.

• Options
    11-20

@Hydrant said:

@Hydrant said:
    Around 10. I buy and download books about coins from the internet but they all disappear over time.

That shows how much of a dinosaur I am. I didn't even think of eBooks!

• Options
    11-20

@Oldhoopster

That's what I am talking about! Love it.

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1-10

It might be just over 10, but 10 was what I could find this morning.
    I’ve got the Mega Red Book with Dimes that I really like Tomaska’s book on Franklins that’s a favorite.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1-10

I have 7.

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    100+

Too many to count. I "rescue" them all the time from yard sales, flea markets and thrift shops.

• Options
    DoubleDimeDoubleDime Posts: 619 ✭✭✭
    100+

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2021 12:05PM
    11-20

This made me go and count. I have 11 books. That doesn’t include some auction catalogs and magazines I’ve kept, though.

Adding in e-Books and it goes up to 15.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not really sure, I estimate around 30. Favorites are large cent books, Fox’s book on walkers, and pretty much anything Dave Bowers has published.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    21-50

Probably right around 50, but I'm planning to sell off many of them in the near future.

• Options
    11-20

There was a thread a year or so ago about how many auction catalogs people have. I imagine some have more than books. I have about as many as I do books although I’m thinking of thinning that herd as well since I never look at them. I’m not a high roller and I’m not sure there’s much value to keeping them.

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭✭✭
    100+

Starting to sell them. Don't want to worry the wife with them.

• Options
    Dr_BonesDr_Bones Posts: 67 ✭✭✭
    100+

@TurtleCat said:
    There was a thread a year or so ago about how many auction catalogs people have. I imagine some have more than books. I have about as many as I do books although I’m thinking of thinning that herd as well since I never look at them. I’m not a high roller and I’m not sure there’s much value to keeping them.

With the Newman Numismatic Portal it really has changed a lot. Almost everything I have predates that. There is a large percentage of out of print books you can now find online there. Little different if it is still in copyright and therefore more modern, then you need book in hand or use ANA library

Visit USPatterns.com

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭
    100+

100+
    Actually closer to 1000 including catalogs from major collections, mostly Canadian (50%) with World and US about 25% each.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    11-20

@Dr_Bones that chair looks comfortable ;) Great looking library.

• Options
    AllentramAllentram Posts: 92 ✭✭✭
    11-20

I'm on the low end of 11-20 with 12. Mostly general US and world guides, grading guides, and series specific reference books. No e-books, at least not yet.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2021 1:36PM
    51-100

Have quality, extensive Numismatic Library. Have done both US & World Coins / Currency. Reference books on US Coins & Curency, Mexico, World Gold, USA National Bankbotes. About 85 books.

Basically a balanced inventory between coins and currency. Currently on tear get banknotes graded by PCGS.

Active shows and online.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    21-50

I finally sold all my duplicates and many that I didn't really use any more(or never had) I still have 30-50 and about 10 are used regularly.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    CucumborCucumbor Posts: 125 ✭✭✭

I'd say 51-100 : you can count'em if you wish :D

• Options
    USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1-10

I have 6 or 7.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    21-50

I haven't counted them, there are other books in there, silver hallmarks, etc but coins, probably 25 to 30 maybe?

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    51-100

Not sure I’m over 100 without counting but they’re in 5 or 6 different bookshelves. My favorite is probably Edkins West Virginia coal scrip reference but also like Fuld CWTs and the Krouse world coin catalogs.

• Options
    11-20

Hmm, I didn’t think about favorite. I’d say mine would be “The Mint At Charlotte” by Birdsall. Most likely because it spends a lot more time on history than on individual die characteristics and such which aren’t my thing. My favorite to just look at would be “Proof Gold Coinage if the United States” by Loewinger.

• Options
    DrDarrylDrDarryl Posts: 585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    21-50

Who has written a numismatic research book that resides in Presidential Libraries and Museums?

I have a numismatic research book that resides in the Presidential Library and Museum of Dwight D. Eisenhower, John F. Kennedy, and Richard M. Nixon. This numismatic book is out of print, but I'm writing an updated version of this book.

https://potus-sgm.com/

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭✭
    11-20

My answer is a guess. I haven't bought hardly any since resuming collecting in 1998 because I don't spend my budget on areas I don't collect. I will make a few exceptions (if I can find it) but only a few.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    11-20

I like the fact that the board, thus far, is showing the highest percentage is from both extremes. The lowest amount of books and the most amount of books. Lol
    My favorite book is close to the same. The 4th Edition and the 6th Edition Cherrypickers Guide. Both are used quite frequently for my picking interest. ;)
    Cool thread!

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    21-50

I forgot I have over 100 pdf books and ebooks.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think i got 9 or so, cool thread

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    21-50

I counted them. :Dmost of them anyway some are in storage.
    26 coin books
    40+ silver books antique silversmiths, etc
    Cool thread indeed!

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    100+

Me thinks you could add a higher option!

• Options
    1-10

@asheland said:
    I counted them. :Dmost of them anyway some are in storage.
    26 coin books
    40+ silver books antique silversmiths, etc
    Cool thread indeed!

I think so too!

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭✭✭
    51-100

Counting old auction catalogs I well over 50 but then the move and downsizing. I’m still in the process of unpacking so I’m not sure what I have now.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    opportunityopportunity Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭✭

Well, I have about 180 books, but most of them are copies of the book I wrote >:)

Early American Copper, Bust and Seated.

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2021 9:45PM
    11-20

Well, I voted off my memory guess of between 11-20
    Turns out I have 32+ (after a more accurate count prompted by this thread)
    Tried to edit my entry and couldn’t figure it out.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    21-50

This is if I don't count the past issues of the Numismatist, or the auction catalogues, or the other periodicals ... otherwise the number is much greater

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1-10

I have a few red books but lately pcgs coinfacts has replaced my need for books. I now rather spend the $ on a new coin than a book. Rather hold the history than read about it.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    21-50

I may well have underestimated by choosing 21-50. The more I think about it, probably more than 50, probably around 70. I am not going to go count them. I have five just around the computer. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    21-50

Oops! Mail call, so add 1.
    Jim

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    51-100

I'm including auction catalogs in my number, mainly because most of the ones I've hung onto I use as reference books. Frankly there are a few boxes in the basement that if I ever get around to unpacking them, would probably push me up to the next tier.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file