Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

****OFFICIAL 2021 Morgan and Peace Silver Dollar thread*****

Comments

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NewEnglandNotes said:
    Burned a vacation day, got on the website right at noon, completed ordering both CC and O coins by 12:03, email at 12:08.

Hope the other two release days are this easy.

I believe that the next four are going to be in higher demand, today seem easy compared to V75 release..

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,209 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurtleCat said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@TurtleCat said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@TurtleCat said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Weiss said:
    So do I understand that was 175,000 of each privy that just sold? 350K coins in about 20 minutes ?

That's maybe 15,000 orders per minute, and $29,750,000 in sales in that 20 minute period. Check my math.

If you're mad the servers failed, think about that velocity.

Depends on how many orders of 10 or 20 coins. It could be as low as 2000 orders per minute

Either way, it’s a pretty low volume for an e-commerce setup. Of course no one here knows their tech infrastructure but it wouldn’t surprise me if there are many optimizations and improvements that could easily be made.

That's not the number to look at. Even though they only process a few thousand orders per minute the problem is that there are tens of thousands of orders trying to be processed simultaneously which is why the checkout is the bottleneck.

The last time the Mint said they had 200,000+ people simultaneously logged in at noon. And that means 200,000 people all trying to check out at 12:01. That is a higher volume than Amazon on Black Friday.

We’re also assuming their numbers are accurate and represent IPs and not just page hits or other types of data. In any case, there are many ways of doing scaling that would handle a big surge like that. A well implemented message queuing system in place to throttle the load on the backend would be the easiest method.

It’s two year old data about Black Friday and Cyber Monday but it shows that other companies have figured it out…

https://www.similarweb.com/corp/blog/conversion/ecommerce-intelligence/the-numbers-are-in-2019-black-friday-cyber-monday/

Best Buy had 20M visits on the day. Kohl’s had 12M. I couldn’t find reliable values for Amazon but their web traffic growth rate has been 10-20% per year. But 4 years ago their Black Friday transactions were 7.2M.

https://www.digitalcommerce360.com/2017/11/27/amazon-captures-55-of-black-friday-transactions-among-top-online-retailers/

200K coming at once is a solved problem that takes some planning and proper resourcing to resolve.

20 million visits in a day is less than the mint peak volume. After all, 200k checking out at the same time is 12 million per hour or a ridiculous 300 million per day.

That comparison is only valid if these 200k visits are literally a constant demand on the server. I somehow doubt that it is sustained to that degree for an entire hour. And how are they even calculating their measure? For all we know the 200K is total visits over the hour or day. There’s a lot of missing information. Until there is verifiable information that the surge for coins from the mint is greater than a new iPhone or something I’ll maintain my skepticism.

You're missing the point. They are not demand for an hour. They are a constant demand all at the same minute. That is 10x the traffic that kohl's or best buy because it isn't spread out in time.

• Options
    nagsnags Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭

I guess that confirms there is a flipper's market for these. I have to assume that the next> @Joe_360 said:

@NewEnglandNotes said:
    Burned a vacation day, got on the website right at noon, completed ordering both CC and O coins by 12:03, email at 12:08.

Hope the other two release days are this easy.

I believe that the next four are going to be in higher demand, today seem easy compared to V75 release..

I agree. Today confirms that flippers can make some money. Nobody will be on the fence for the next (2) releases.

• Options
    cruisersk1cruisersk1 Posts: 190 ✭✭✭

I got 10 of the CC within the first few minutes. Took A LOT longer to get the other 10 O's. My orders show the CC on Backorder? and the O as processing and it was over 14,000 orders later?

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

And I got four of the double O’s by mistake. I kept adding to my cart not knowing what was gonna happen next and I didn’t want to change the number so I just went through check out. I only wanted one of each..

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭

My suspicion is that the mint is experimenting with this pre-ordering period... "Pre-ordering window starts May 24 at noon and closes on June 7 at 3pm ET or until inventory depleted". I believe that's what the June date is (the end of the preordering window). They will probably ship in October. What comes after the pre-ordering window ends? Regular orders? End of sales? What happens to un-fullfillable orders after June but before October? Will there be an open order period in October? Could they end up selling less than 175,000? Something tells me the mint will make this even more interesting!

(l8-)>>

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2021 1:40PM

they had a pre-order window for both the commemorative issues this year. I hope the experiment works.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@TurtleCat said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@TurtleCat said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@TurtleCat said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Weiss said:
    So do I understand that was 175,000 of each privy that just sold? 350K coins in about 20 minutes ?

That's maybe 15,000 orders per minute, and $29,750,000 in sales in that 20 minute period. Check my math.

Depends on how many orders of 10 or 20 coins. It could be as low as 2000 orders per minute

Either way, it’s a pretty low volume for an e-commerce setup. Of course no one here knows their tech infrastructure but it wouldn’t surprise me if there are many optimizations and improvements that could easily be made.

That's not the number to look at. Even though they only process a few thousand orders per minute the problem is that there are tens of thousands of orders trying to be processed simultaneously which is why the checkout is the bottleneck.

The last time the Mint said they had 200,000+ people simultaneously logged in at noon. And that means 200,000 people all trying to check out at 12:01. That is a higher volume than Amazon on Black Friday.

We’re also assuming their numbers are accurate and represent IPs and not just page hits or other types of data. In any case, there are many ways of doing scaling that would handle a big surge like that. A well implemented message queuing system in place to throttle the load on the backend would be the easiest method.

It’s two year old data about Black Friday and Cyber Monday but it shows that other companies have figured it out…

https://www.similarweb.com/corp/blog/conversion/ecommerce-intelligence/the-numbers-are-in-2019-black-friday-cyber-monday/

Best Buy had 20M visits on the day. Kohl’s had 12M. I couldn’t find reliable values for Amazon but their web traffic growth rate has been 10-20% per year. But 4 years ago their Black Friday transactions were 7.2M.

https://www.digitalcommerce360.com/2017/11/27/amazon-captures-55-of-black-friday-transactions-among-top-online-retailers/

200K coming at once is a solved problem that takes some planning and proper resourcing to resolve.

20 million visits in a day is less than the mint peak volume. After all, 200k checking out at the same time is 12 million per hour or a ridiculous 300 million per day.

That comparison is only valid if these 200k visits are literally a constant demand on the server. I somehow doubt that it is sustained to that degree for an entire hour. And how are they even calculating their measure? For all we know the 200K is total visits over the hour or day. There’s a lot of missing information. Until there is verifiable information that the surge for coins from the mint is greater than a new iPhone or something I’ll maintain my skepticism.

Think of it as filing a stadium. It is easy to get 80,000 people in over the course of an hour. It is impossible to get them in on one minute.

I've yet to see evidence of any retailer processing 200K > @edgar said:

My suspicion is that the mint is experimenting with this pre-ordering period... "Pre-ordering window starts May 24 at noon and closes on June 7 at 3pm ET or until inventory depleted". I believe that's what the June date is (the end of the preordering window). They will probably ship in October. What comes after the pre-ordering window ends? Regular orders? End of sales? What happens to un-fullfillable orders after June but before October? Will there be an open order period in October? Could they end up selling less than 175,000? Something tells me the mint will make this even more interesting!

This is not the first time they've taken pre-orders. The availability date for the Mayflower coins, for example, was the ship date. And the availability date was June 13th not June 7th.

• Options
    edited May 24, 2021 2:04PM

I attempted to complete an order 10 times, to no avail. No order confirmation screen, I just noticed that my cart was empty. I later received an email saying "we received your US Mint order". I saw CC probe. and I finally have an order number.

(l8-)>>

• Options

@edgar said:

might be time for another suggestion via email to have a order period once shipping start to sell any cancellations, CC cancellations and returns -- HHL 5!!

PS I wrote in to the Mint via snail mail Re: 5 - received a letter back just this past sat. stating "25 to 10." They need popular uprising over the 10 HHL and order problems.

Weren't all the errors we encountered during order attempts new? I don''t think I got a dupe of the ones from the V75s.

BTW, one error was "Server Down"

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

Confirmation of 1x O privy order finally received.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Instead of order limits, mintage limits, just put out that we are taking orders for one week, and will mint however many orders we have at the end of the period. Kills the flip, but collectors get theirs.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@TurtleCat said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@TurtleCat said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@TurtleCat said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Weiss said:

You're missing the point. They are not demand for an hour. They are a constant demand all at the same minute. That is 10x the traffic that kohl's or best buy because it isn't spread out in time.

I’m not. We just aren’t agreeing on the values presented. We have one number provided by the mint with no context.

• Options

5 months is a long wait to ship. Alot is going to happen to alot of orders during those 5 months. My credit union notified me that they were re-issuing thousands of debit cards because of a "security issue" several months ago, that could void a pending order.

(l8-)>>

• Options

Order Confirmation email of 1x O and 1x CC privy order just received.

(l8-)>>

• Options
    KdennisonKdennison Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

I got my email confirmation for 1 O and 1 CC at about 4 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time. This was nuts, and there is truly no reason for a mintage limit on this. As others have stated, mint to demand and then the premiums for this coin won't go up and collectors will be happy.

If investors or quick money people want to make money buy silver and gold bars and leave the numismatists alone.

• Options
    santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

Instead of the one O privy I wanted, it seems I got two. Sorry for you folks that got cut out.

• Options
    numinumi Posts: 29 ✭✭

Just and update. Turns out one of my checkouts for the ccs went through. I was able to get both orders.

Just before 23 minute sell out.

numi
  • Options

I think I messed up and entered the wrong security code in the crazy rush. I wonder if I can call and correct it. No email or anything, but oddly enough my card was charged $4.95. Anyone else have that happen?

• Options

@santinidollar said:
    Instead of the one O privy I wanted, it seems I got two. Sorry for you folks that got cut out.

I'm sure that someone here will want to buy it from you if they got locked out.

• Options

@Randomismygame said:
    I think I messed up and entered the wrong security code in the crazy rush. I wonder if I can call and correct it. No email or anything, but oddly enough my card was charged $4.95. Anyone else have that happen?

It's possible that it's just a hold or a pending charge that the Mint used to determine if it was a valid CC. It will change once it ships, and then settle the next business day.

• Options
    CoinnmoreCoinnmore Posts: 161 ✭✭✭

Delivery date is sort of confusing but

I actually found it in the checkout as I stopped to make a PDF document for every transaction. i really did not expect to find it! And there it was in RED quote

"Pre-Order
    The expected in-stock date is Sun Jun 13 2021."
    So I guess after June 13th you might be lucky enough to have it shipped out but which day after 7-13? :#

• Options

@TurtleCat said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@TurtleCat said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@TurtleCat said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@TurtleCat said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Weiss said:

I’m not. We just aren’t agreeing on the values presented. We have one number provided by the mint with no context.

What context do you need? You have 200,000 people logged in at noon. Do you think they are window shopping?

When you try to cram 100k orders through one gateway simultaneously, it's going to create a log jam. And it does.

• Options

@Coinnmore said:
    Delivery date is sort of confusing but

I actually found it in the checkout as I stopped to make a PDF document for every transaction. i really did not expect to find it! And there it was in RED quote

"Pre-Order
    The expected in-stock date is Sun Jun 13 2021."
    So I guess after June 13th you might be lucky enough to have it shipped out but which day after 7-13? :#

It may well be close. There back order dates are usually pretty accurate.

• Options
    CoinnmoreCoinnmore Posts: 161 ✭✭✭

Here is a screen shot made into a JPG but made smaller so not to take up the whole screen of the possible in red delivery date.

• Options

@Coinnmore said:
    Here is a screen shot made into a JPG but made smaller so not to take up the whole screen of the possible in red delivery

Thank you.

People were doubting my vision...or reading comprehension. Lol

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sorry for those who experienced the failure but I don't deal with the US Mint; I don't like the US Mint and I agree with the one who posted "all collectors should have a chance at getting one". Obviously that's not the way it is and a Government Agency that has a website like that one. For shame.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AlexinPA said:
    I'm sorry for those who experienced the failure but I don't deal with the US Mint; I don't like the US Mint and I agree with the one who posted "all collectors should have a chance at getting one". Obviously that's not the way it is and a Government Agency that has a website like that one. For shame.

There is a difference in “all collectors should have a chance at getting one” and “all collectors get one”. We all had a chance.

• Options
    PeyroguyPeyroguy Posts: 96 ✭✭✭

I have to say, had both in my cart, then I came to the realization that I'm not buying these. They already have me with the AME gold and silver. But, I'm not s flipper and I know these won't hold thier value, im watching ppl paying 350.00 on ebay, craziness. Not sure why someone would pay 350.00 for these, but better them then me. I waiting for the T2 AME and the gold. I did my good deed, I gave someone else my coins today, the mint is not sucking me into another series.

• Options

@jabba said:
    Finally got my confirmation email 3 hours after the order email and the charge is showing on my account so I thought they only charged when they are ready to ship?

They put a hold out which expires if they don't actually ship.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got emails confirming my CC order about 4-1/2 hours after the opening bell and the O about six hours after the opening bell. Earlier I had gotten an email saying that they had received the O order but I never got that email for the CC's. I thought I had been shut out on the CC's.

Now we wait for the Manila Mint Morgans!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

Yeah idk. My order was confirmed through email, but still shows processing on the website. The order only shows the $4.95 shipping charge and my card was only charged that. Under order history it shows 0 as item subtotal. Can anyone else let me know what your order history shows? Thanks!

• Options

@Randomismygame said:
    Yeah idk. My order was confirmed through email, but still shows processing on the website. The order only shows the $4.95 shipping charge and my card was only charged that. Under order history it shows 0 as item subtotal. Can anyone else let me know what your order history shows? Thanks!

My order history has shown nothing but processing for over a year

• Options

These got a lot of interest after the sell through.

I’ll be watching pre-sales now

• Options
    DimeDorkDimeDork Posts: 33 ✭✭✭

@Randomismygame said:

Mine says the same. $20 overnight shipping charge, $0 items charged though. "O" privy is listed as processing, "CC" privy is listed as backordered.

• Options

@DimeDork said:

@Randomismygame said:

Mine says the same. $20 overnight shipping charge, $0 items charged though. "O" privy is listed as processing, "CC" privy is listed as backordered.

Thanks for the reply. That makes me feel a bit better. Thanks again!

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

my second order confirmation came through this evening. That was a pretty hectic lunch break...

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Forgot all about it, then around 1430 it clicked in my head, oh !@#$ today is the launch of the O and CC Morgans, SOL :(

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options

There are several 1 day true auctions already in the $230’s

• Options
    edited May 24, 2021 3:53PM

@morgansforever said:
    Forgot all about it, then around 1430 it clicked in my head, oh !@#$ today is the launch of the O and CC Morgans, SOL :(

I may … maybe … have 1 of each extra.

If things go well, I’m offering at costs to an established forumite. These will not be sealed boxes.

I was thinking of ordering a proper set of orders tomorrow and cancel today’s. In that case, I’d only have one of each and no extras.

The next issues drop next week Tuesday!

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2021 3:56PM

I just logged into the Mint Website and this is what I see......

:D

• Options
    SeatedTonersSeatedToners Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

they need to make the limit 1 per household to spread these out over more collectors. and releasing two on the same day is a bad idea.

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SeatedToners said:
    they need to make the limit 1 per household to spread these out over more collectors. and releasing two on the same day is a bad idea.

The Mint doesn't want to deal with 175k orders. We're lucky they lowered the HHL from 25 to 10.

• Options
    ikewikew Posts: 3

I kept getting server down notice many times but each time I got back in, it took me to my updated page. At first I ordered 2 cc's. and added 2 more by mistake. At a later time I ordered 2 o's. I then went to the check out page and deleted 2 cc's and was finally able to check out. The time was about 9:20 pacific time. The charges are on my cc (pending) and will not be charged untill they are shipped. I also got a confirmation from the mint

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,693 ✭✭✭✭✭

My order went from "Processing" to "Backorder" at my US Mint order history. I hope that's not bad.

Many happy BST transactions
This discussion has been closed.