Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

****OFFICIAL 2021 Morgan and Peace Silver Dollar thread*****

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wasn't able to obtain any as system crashed and then when I was finally able to get into it they were both sold out. I've only been successful once in about 10 years of trying....stupid system.
    Lottery would be much better and smaller limits would help.

bob :(

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Danno44 said:

@Raufus said:
    So how many more of these are there that we go through this every time....?

I am still so thankful that I was able to get a V75 gold Eagle that I cannot let this stuff frustrate me. Or at least I can try to not let this stuff frustrate me...

This one didn’t frustrate me like the gold v75 and having in my cart and not able to check out for weeks.
    If I can get some of these release ok, if not that’s ok too.

Absolutely agree. No comparison. The V75 was far more at stake.

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2021 9:59AM

[@jmlanzaf said:]
    [Was anyone else surprised to see the June availability date? That changes the calculation on these as you may not have to [wait 5 months for delivery.]

[I can't find where it says that?]

Yes...and YES...in the middle of my blood pressure raising hell...I also saw a June availability date pop up!

• Options
    JeffMJeffM Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭

This is exactly why I stopped buying from the Mint. Who needs all this crap and aggravation? I don't have a bot or goons working for me, so it is a useless effort to even try. I'll wait until they are sold for near issue price and then buy what I want - maybe. The dealers will come calling soon!

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

Guess I shoulda gone for the CC first as it seems to have gone unavailable a few mins earlier.

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

25 minutes and now 'Currently Unavailable'? PT Barnum had it right. Any wonder I haven't bought from the US Mint in decades?

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

will they sell out on ebay?

or will there be returns from flippers that can't resell?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess I discovered I’m not as into these as I thought. I didn’t even try to buy one. Maybe I will just wait till next year and see what’s available on the market. Find a nice MS68 at bullion price or something.

• Options
    HoneyMarketHoneyMarket Posts: 804 ✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    will they sell out on ebay?

or will there be returns from flippers that can't resell?

At the rate these sold out and crashed the Mint's website....I don't anticipate many returns and ebay prices will exceed $200 each!

This does not seem like the 2021 AE Gold Proof coins...where demand was so-so...

BST references available on request

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,396 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss said:
    So do I understand that was 175,000 of each privy that just sold? 350K coins in about 20 minutes ?

That's maybe 15,000 orders per minute, and $29,750,000 in sales in that 20 minute period. Check my math.

If you're mad the servers failed, think about that velocity.

Depends on how many orders of 10 or 20 coins. It could be as low as 2000 orders per minute

• Options
    JeffMJeffM Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭

The dealers will certainly be advertising these shortly. If the price is fair, just sit back and do your shopping. Screw the Mint!

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw "June availability" on my CC order confirmation.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Weiss said:
    So do I understand that was 175,000 of each privy that just sold? 350K coins in about 20 minutes ?

That's maybe 15,000 orders per minute, and $29,750,000 in sales in that 20 minute period. Check my math.

Depends on how many orders of 10 or 20 coins. It could be as low as 2000 orders per minute

Either way, it’s a pretty low volume for an e-commerce setup. Of course no one here knows their tech infrastructure but it wouldn’t surprise me if there are many optimizations and improvements that could easily be made.

• Options
    santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

30 minutes of bad gateways, page not found and having my shopping cart emptied, but I got an O privy mark. Peace dollar day should be charming.

• Options

@TurtleCat said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Weiss said:

Either way, it’s a pretty low volume for an e-commerce setup. Of course no one here knows their tech infrastructure but it wouldn’t surprise me if there are many optimizations and improvements that could easily be made.

Reminds me...
    Pick two:

• Options
    ColonelKlinckColonelKlinck Posts: 371 ✭✭✭

@santinidollar said:
    30 minutes of bad gateways, page not found and having my shopping cart emptied, but I got an O privy mark. Peace dollar day should be charming.

Maybe I'll drive drive up to rural Ct. with my IPhone on Peace Dollar Day. :)

• Options
    alangloialangloi Posts: 35 ✭✭✭

Is the call center a better way of ordering?

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2021 10:25AM

Well, I got in right away and put 10 of the CC in my cart and tried to go and add 10 of the O and the bad gateway crap started. After about 15 minutes I got back to the cart and the 10 CC's were still there so I checked out, got an order number which I did not write down because I figured I would get it off of the email confirmation, and went back in and did a second order for 10 O's. Checked out those and then left to go pick up my daughter.

Got home and checked my emails and there was a confirmation for the O's only. No CC's. Don't know if I have them or not. And of course the product is now sold out.

Edited to add: CHecked my balance and the charge is not there, as expected, then checked my credit balance and it is $850 less than it should be, so obviously only one purchase went through. Have no idea what happened to the CC one.

What a flea circus this is!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2021 10:23AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@Weiss said:

Could be. But based on the anecdotal comments in this thread, I'd say it has to be double or triple that.

So you're a business who staffs and plans for a steady drip of orders you've had for years, even decades. Hundreds of orders a week, with operators, warehouse workers, shippers, receivers, returns, etc.

Once or twice a year, you release a special product that sees big interest. Instead of hundreds of orders a week, you might get a thousand or two. Taxes your staff and your systems, but it's what you're in business for.

But then, once every year or two, a very special item comes along and captures the attention of the public at large. Media gets a hold of the story and it explodes. Big distributors, speculators, collectors, and people who have no business buying from you are all in competition.

And instead of doing a hundred orders a week or even a thousand, you're looking at thousands of orders a minute until you sell out of several hundred thousand.

Do you hire and train extra staff for this one day event, then lay them off? Do you buy dozens of new servers and hire IT people to watch and program them? Do you screen, hire, and train a few dozen new finance people for a new career that spans 12:00 pm to 12:24 pm, 05-24-21?

All of this with 300,000,000 bosses watching your every move?

I'm not saying the Mint's systems are great. But imagine how tough they are for the people trying to run this game.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    colorcommemcolorcommem Posts: 208 ✭✭✭

Did anybody get their credit card charged...I got my order confirmation number but my credit card was not being charged... I am very confused whether my order was successful or not.

• Options
    TequilaDaveTequilaDave Posts: 271 ✭✭✭

CC just sold for $250 in eBay

• Options
    Samuel8Samuel8 Posts: 378 ✭✭✭

@colorcommem said:
    Did anybody get their credit card charged...I got my order confirmation number but my credit card was not being charged... I am very confused whether my order was successful or not.

I have 1 order charged, another later order not yet.

• Options

@colorcommem said:

Mine was

• Options
    smuglrsmuglr Posts: 407 ✭✭✭

@Weiss said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Weiss said:

Could be. But based on the anecdotal comments in this thread, I'd say it has to be double or triple that.

So you're a business who staffs and plans for a steady drip of orders you've had for years, even decades. Hundreds of orders a week, with operators, warehouse workers, shippers, receivers, returns, etc.

Once or twice a year, you release a special product that sees big interest. Instead of hundreds of orders a week, you might get a thousand or two. Taxes your staff and your systems, but it's what you're in business for.

But then, once every year or two, a very special item comes along and captures the attention of the public at large. Media gets a hold of the story and it explodes. Big distributors, speculators, collectors, and people who have no business buying from you are all in competition.

And instead of doing a hundred orders a week or even a thousand, you're looking at thousands of orders a minute until you sell out of several hundred thousand.

Do you hire and train extra staff for this one day event, then lay them off? Do you buy dozens of new servers and hire IT people to watch and program them? Do you screen, hire, and train a few dozen new finance people for a new career that spans 12:00 pm to 12:24 pm, 05-24-21?

All of this with 300,000,000 bosses watching your every move?

I'm not saying the Mint's systems are great. But imagine how tough they are for the people trying to run this game.

• Options

@colorcommem said:

• Options
    MWKMWK Posts: 59 ✭✭✭

@HoneyMarket said:
    Reminds me...
    Pick two:

That doesn't apply to U.S. federal government workers. They hire the "right" people but they don't hire the right people.

• Options
    hyf88hyf88 Posts: 294 ✭✭✭

Same here, a whole lot of gateway errors destroyed any chance I had at getting the CC but was fortunate to get an O.

• Options
    smuglrsmuglr Posts: 407 ✭✭✭

Oops lol. @Weiss I agree with your points, but there is better anticipation of demand, setting the HHL lower, not allowing a 10% early sale to the chosen few, or maybe breaking up the sales dates and times into single items, all that might help without adding a lot of staff and cost.

• Options
    cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@colorcommem said:

your cc does not get charged until shipment. It gets pinged. Big Difference...

• Options

@cagcrisp said:

@colorcommem said:

I know that's the way it's supposed to work but it sure looks like they're actually charging my cc

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭

Again no PayPal option on checkout.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options

@ndeagles said:
    It's sad how other sites can figure this out... I also am collecting the Music Legends series from the Royal Mint, their latest dropped this morning at 2am mountain time, I set an alarm, when I went to their site, it put me in a queue with a number showing where I was in queue. The number counted down from 1900 to 0 in about 10 minutes, then I got on, ordered the coin and went back to bed. Because the excess traffic sat in queue, once in the site there were no issues at all. I had >20 gateway errors at the US Mint site along with a handful of other frustrating errors.

You do realize there was about one tenth the number of people on the UK site.

• Options

@jessewvu said:
    I had an order confirmation page on one but didn’t get an email and no CAC charge :/

You have a CAC charge card? :)

• Options

@Weiss said:

This could easily be handled by the mint - by outsourcing these special sales to Amazon Web Services (AWS). They are right up there in the DC Swamp with the US Mint bureaucrats. And based upon my own experience with Gov't workers...97% of them have no clue...the smart ones just convince the others to call in a "consultant" and pay an outrageous consultant fee...which would just recommend/convince the Mint...to outsource these special sales to AWS. Heck, the consultant will even put down the wording for the Govt bureaucrat to write up a nice white paper about how it's cost-effective to outsource to AWS. - Gov't bureaucrats are some of the biggest plagiarizers I've ever seen.

• Options
    edited May 24, 2021 10:40AM

@HoneyMarket said:

@Weiss said:

This could easily be handled by the mint - by outsourcing these special sales to Amazon Web Services (AWS). They are right up there in the DC Swamp with the US Mint bureaucrats. And based upon my own experience with Gov't workers...97% of them have no clue...the smart ones just convince the others to call in a "consultant" and pay an outrageous consultant fee...which would just recommend/convince the Mint...to outsource these special sales to AWS. Heck, the consultant will even put down the wording for the Govt bureaucrat to write up a nice white paper about how it's cost-effective to outsource to AWS. - Gov't bureaucrats are some of the biggest plagiarizers I've ever seen.

AWS is a web hosting service. You get a much bandwidth as you pay for. For all you know, AWS does host the Mint web site

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TequilaDave said:

@cagcrisp said:

@colorcommem said:

I know that's the way it's supposed to work but it sure looks like they're actually charging my cc

Depending on your banks policy for pending charges, the charge will go away in 3 to 14 days.

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cheer up folks. I saw one dealer selling for $375.00 each and some others on the EBay selling for $250.00 to $275.00. Not a bad profit for an $85.00 coin.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

AWS is a web hosting service. You get a much bandwidth as you pay for. For all you know, AWS does host the Mint web site

Exactly... The beauty behind AWS...is that you can scale up or down that bandwidth as your needs change.

Even hackers (both white and black hat) use AWS...to host their bots and other hacking/forensics tools. You can pay as you go!

• Options
    EggerEgger Posts: 418 ✭✭

order history is back

• Options
    edited May 24, 2021 10:50AM

@Egger said:
    order history is back

Disregard...I found my answer on the Mint's website.

• Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

During checkout it said shipping in June. Website says October. so which is it....? I agree, looks like I'm being charged. And if not, then who says that money will be there in October ??

Then if it's October add in six versions, if you're lucky enough to get 10 each, could get a big bill come October / November, like $5000 !!

Gotta love the Mint

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just spitballing here...and not a retail genius...but I don't know...maybe next time you drop the HHL to 5?!?

Just saying...

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tells you the potential demand spike for the real CC's.

• Options
    Danno44Danno44 Posts: 172 ✭✭✭

@RichR said:
    Just spitballing here...and not a retail genius...but I don't know...maybe next time you drop the HHL to 5?!?

Just saying...

I vote for 1 but no way mint will do that. Labor cost to package and ship 175000 orders per as to 37,000 per is much less.

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RichR said:

Just saying...

Lower HHL only makes the problem worse. It causes more traffic on the website more people buying fewer coins.
    Had the HHL stayed at 25 a lot more people could order for their own needs. Many people can tie up $850 dollars, how many would want to tie up $2125 for 25 coins.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

After much agony I got a CC. Anyone share my good luck?

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just now, at 12:53 Central time, almost two hours down the line, we got an order acknowledgement email with a time stamp of 11:17... apparently one of my attempts made it through and I have an order number... but I never once received a confirmation screen when I was attempting to order, and I still can't access the order through "track order" on the site. I guess we'll see.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
This discussion has been closed.