Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Your Numismatic Library Additions

BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

Added this today...post something from your library and new additions.

Comments

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let’s see a few pages from the inside !

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:
    Let’s see a few pages from the inside !

Yes please do.

Collecting interests: Mexico & Peru early milled 1 reales + 1796-1891 US dimes

Sports: NHL & NFL

Thank you Lord for another beautiful day!!!

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hasn’t arrived yet. Auction was today.

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bid on one lot (not this one) up to 2.5 times estimate and lost. I’m not stretching for books anymore. Once the mania dies down, so will book prices.

At the end of the day, I’m a coin (and medal) collector, not a book collector.

• EuclidEuclid Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

I got a new one yesterday.

• 1984worldcoins1984worldcoins Posts: 596 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mexico circulation coins, book from 2008

Coinsof1984@martinb6830 on twitter

• CucumborCucumbor Posts: 125 ✭✭✭

I bought a few days ago an 1880 numismatic book dedicated to the coinage of the french king Jean II le Bon (the Good) - (1350-1364)

• BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks to Yorkshireman!

Oh and a brood X bonus.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes indeed @MrEureka

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:
    I bid on one lot (not this one) up to 2.5 times estimate and lost. I’m not stretching for books anymore. Once the mania dies down, so will book prices.

So you must have more coins than books, right? >:)

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

@MrEureka said:

@pruebas said:

So you must have more coins than books, right? >:)

By far!

But funny thing, when coming back from Mexico, it's the books that cause all the problems, not the coins.
    I thought coin collectors were supposed to have it easy? Small, light objects that are easily transportable. Then why is my luggage always over the weight limit?

Nice! Always wanted the Farouk catalog, but never managed to snag one.
    I tried for the Pogue hardbound edition, but it ended up at $4200! Even the softbound edition sold for $1320. See my comment about being a coin collector, not a book collector....

Notice the entire Farouk collection was sold over 9 days. Today, the same number of lots would be sold in one Heritage session.

@pruebas said:
    I tried for the Pogue hardbound edition, but it ended up at $4200! Even the softbound edition sold for $1320. See my comment about being a coin collector, not a book collector....

Notice the entire Farouk collection was sold over 9 days. Today, the same number of lots would be sold in one Heritage session.

There are lots of Mexican patterns plated in the catalog. I'll sell you mine for $1300.

@pruebas said:

The trick is to find a priced and named copy. I presume that's what Pogue's was, and why it brought $4200.

Andy Lustig

• EuclidEuclid Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

I tracked down a few books from the bibliography of my recent acquisition. The copy of Prober's Historia Numismatica de Guatemala is a rebound library copy so I photographed a plate instead of the plain cover. Fortunately, according to the paper card left inside, nobody ever checked it out so it remains in pristine condition.

Great value, if you don’t mind the condition.

• bosoxbosox Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭✭

I have found that I am an information collector, not really a book collector. I tend to buy books still in copyright (that I cannot find digitally), books that have not been digitized, plus a few classics I just want to have in print.

For example, my most recent book purchase, a priced and sourced Parson's 1954 auction by Glendining, contained a lot of British Empire and Canadian coinage that was important to what I study.

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com

@pruebas said:

Great value, if you don’t mind the condition.

I love how in Calberto the source of the coin is also noted in the comments. So helpful in tracing the provenance of pieces. My 1764-G 8R comes from and is plated in Calberto.

• SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:

@pruebas said:

The trick is to find a priced and named copy. I presume that's what Pogue's was, and why it brought $4200.

There is also an offprint, with the prices realized, that is occasionally available. Also note that there is a reprint edition of the sales catalogue that looks VERY similar to the original (the difference is mostly in the spine), but is much cheaper.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WildIdea said:
    Picked up this Kienast signed Karl Goetz reference book up this year. Has a few addendum slips within. Smells old and musty which adds something authentic to flipping the pages.

It's also kind of neat that it came from the library of author and numismatist, John S. Davenport.
    Your medals are beautiful.

I remember hearing that when Davenport retired to Florida, he kept his books in a detached garage/outbuilding and after he passed, it was found that most of his books got water damaged like this.

After writing the above, I started wondering where I had heard that story. Then it came to me.

If you're the least bit interested, go here and scroll down to the bottom of the page. "How not to store books in Miami." Interesting read (and Alan ended up with a very fine library, which he regrettably sold ten years ago).

• JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:
    After writing the above, I started wondering where I had heard that story. Then it came to me.

If you're the least bit interested, go here and scroll down to the bottom of the page. "How not to store books in Miami." Interesting read (and Alan ended up with a very fine library, which he regrettably sold ten years ago).

Gosh, what a shame to have allowed that material to go to waist. It would have been much better to donate those items right from the start rather than store them in such poor conditions.

I guess that makes WildIdea's book a bit of a rarity, given only the best of the worst were able to be salvaged.

Thanks for sharing it was an interesting read and at the same time a worthwhile reminder to not just preserve our coins but the books and knowledge passed down along with them. I have explained a number of times to my girls that a good number of the books I have are quite hard to find, with some being rather expensive, though I'm still not sure it's resonated with them.

@JohnnyCache said:

@pruebas said:

Gosh, what a shame to have allowed that material to go to waist. It would have been much better to donate those items right from the start rather than store them in such poor conditions.

I guess that makes WildIdea's book a bit of a rarity, given only the best of the worst were able to be salvaged.

Thanks for sharing it was an interesting read and at the same time a worthwhile reminder to not just preserve our coins but the books and knowledge passed down along with them. I have explained a number of times to my girls that a good number of the books I have are quite hard to find, with some being rather expensive, though I'm still not sure it's resonated with them.

Now @WildIdea has the story to go with the book! I bet that book was one of the ones shipped to KP and got sold when KP was sold.

edited July 5, 2021 5:23AM

I wish I was active when Luedeking sold his library. I would love the Medina’s. Did @MrEureka end up with the Fonrobert bid book?

• WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @JohnnyCache and @pruebas for the feedback and information! I’m pleased that you are able to shed some additional light on this manual. Of coarse I love knowing it was previously owned by Davenport and thrilled to get to be the one who gives it its second life. The water damage is mostly towards the lower front 1/4 of the book, no pages are bonded and the slight odor is like an old book aught to smell. It’s a paper smell not anything like cat pee or anything rank. To me this adds to the ambiance of looking at this particular material. There is defiantly a (rather strong) physical connection to the past I can feel, especially if I’m viewing medals with it.

As an avid Goetz collector, I have a vol 1 & 2 reprints which are great. Those are really all one needs and after comparing the two I find the photos of the reprints spot on, thanks @cacheman. With the relatively high cost of first editions, when one is offered I’ve always opted to rather buy a medal instead of tie up money in an expensive reference I don’t need. Still, I do searches and this one popped up on eBay as an auction and it closed for around 180.00 with shipping. Thanks to who listed and sold it, it’s perfect for me! It made sense for me to go for it as it’s basically an artifact of its own now and adds a level of depth to my collection.

• SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:
    I remember hearing that when Davenport retired to Florida, he kept his books in a detached garage/outbuilding and after he passed, it was found that most of his books got water damaged like this.

I am not surprised. I grew up in Coral Gables (a suburb of Miami). We had a floor safe, set in a concrete shaft, and I put my coins in there when I went off to graduate school in California and then just left them there for years afterward. Many of the coins were in soft vinyl flips, and were full of greenish goo when I pulled everything out years later (around 17 years later). The heat and humidity did a job on the RD and RB coppers as well. That was an expensive lesson.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]

@Boosibri said:
    I wish I was active when Luedeking sold his library. I would love the Medina’s. Did @MrEureka end up with the Fonrobert bid book?

Yes, along with some other very interesting things. Probably including a couple of Medinas, but I'd have to check by notes.

Andy Lustig

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've added a few lately, but all US stuff...

New house already?!

Those shelves aren’t going to hold much weight. And besides, there aren’t enough of them. You need a new new house with a proper library.

• tcollectstcollects Posts: 784 ✭✭✭✭

wha?! listing the house with the custom built library? for us paying attention to the library saga, this is a bummer

@tcollects said:
    wha?! listing the house with the custom built library? for us paying attention to the library saga, this is a bummer

50% appreciation in 6 months = sell sell sell

Let's see how the new library turned out!

@pruebas said:
    Let's see how the new library turned out!

It’s basically a closet right now while all of the furniture; shelves, desk are no order. Should be end of this month. Now my wife quit her job and will be taking my library for her full time office for her new role.

Guess that ok as I spend her salary on coins anyways.

edited January 4, 2022 5:57PM

I heard the supply chain/labor issues have hit furniture makers too. I ordered a piece in November and it’s due in May!

Maybe you are going to need a bigger house?

@pruebas said:
    I heard the supply chain/labor issues have hit furniture makers too. I ordered a piece in November and it’s due in May!

Time for a bigger house!

Been on order for months as well