Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats to you Darrell!

Just arrived today, NGC AU-50 CAC. Anyone wanna guess the date of this dime? Will post other pix later tonight. Pix courtesy Barberkeys!

More coins, less government.
  • Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lenny, My guess is the 1901-O/O West. Irregardless, nice coin!

• Tim

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options

Congrats, Tim! A man who knows his mintmarks!

• Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 9, 2021 4:07AM

This completes my Whitman Barber dime series...best for last as they say. Seller pics. Coin is in original condition with the fields remarkably quiet. One small obverse rim nick but it should grade 10+ IMO. Good separation of hair and jaw lines.
    "BER" very faint but partially there under a loupe. I am happy to have that hole filled with a decent wholesome example.

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

From what I've seen of a lot of the earlier Barber Dimes, if the Rim Bump doesn't bother the graders you may very well get an F12 grade out of it!

@fastfreddie said:
    This completes my Whitman Barber dime series...best for last as they say. Seller pics. Coin is in original condition with the fields remarkably quiet. One small obverse rim nick but it should grade 10+ IMO. Good separation of hair and jaw lines.
    "BER" very faint but partially there under a loupe. I am happy to have that hole filled with a decent wholesome example.

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    From what I've seen of a lot of the earlier Barber Dimes, if the Rim Bump doesn't bother the graders you may very well get an F12 grade out of it!

I don't know if I'd call it a bump but more of a nick at 10 o'clock.

• Options

Then minor rim damage! :#

@fastfreddie said:

@amwldcoin said:

I don't know if I'd call it a bump but more of a nick at 10 o'clock.

• Options

Here's a nice PCGS VF-35 that just arrived, and I love the date! Thanks for the pix, Vern!

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a 1900 O Quarter (recently purchased from Amworld) in a NGC VF 25 holder:

This coin features the Type 3 OBV hub variety paired with the Type 3 REV hub variety.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    Here's a 1900 O Quarter (recently purchased from Amworld) in a NGC VF 25 holder:

This coin features the Type 3 OBV hub variety paired with the Type 3 REV hub variety.

Congratulations Jeff!, nice find.

• Options

:# How long do you think it will take to really know the rarity factor on these?

@JeffMTampa said:

• Options

Darrell- Until a few weeks ago there were only 2 OBV hub types known for the Quarters. We now know there are 3 OBV hub types. It will take a while to sort out the nomenclature and figure out what exists (and doesn't). Stay tuned.

Rest assured the one I purchased from you seems to be one of the more common varieties.

• Options

Jeff! Cherry pick away! I have never worried about that. Knowledge is power that is earned and should offer rewards! I never understood dealers who are worried about being cherry picked. If they are they should get off their lazy ass and do the research!

@JeffMTampa said:
    Darrell- Until a few weeks ago there were only 2 OBV hub types known for the Quarters. We now know there are 3 OBV hub types. It will take a while to sort out the nomenclature and figure out what exists (and doesn't). Stay tuned.

Rest assured the one I purchased from you seems to be one of the more common varieties.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa - about the third obverse hub type.... things should start to get interesting right about now! Does it have to do with the ribbon ends? We all know there are three reverse types of course (1892 "more E", "less E" and the longer wing tips)
    but you got me really curious about the third obverse hub....

• Options

Jed- there will be much more information on the 3 Barber Quarter hub varieties in the near future. Look to the BCCS Journal for the reveal. In the meantime, clues were left in the last BCCS Journal. Membership has it's privilege.

• Options

I recently found I had only one imaged '06-P in PC45 and that image was poor. Going to get the coin for re-imaging, I realized I have two specimens. One of the two has a poor viewing window (both sides) on the plastic. I was looking on-line and they recommend toothpaste or baking soda mixture. I have a Dremel so perhaps a buffing with 3000+ grit sandpaper? what might you recommend? Here are the two sets of images:

Image Set 1

Image Set 2

• Tim

• Options

Tim- I use wet/ dry sandpaper and headlight restorer. I purchased a set of sheets ranging from 80 grit to 3000 grit. I decide what grit to start with depending upon the depth of the scratches. I finish up with the headlight restorer cream. Some slabs get really beat up. I've even had to clean up slabs that just came from the grading room.

• Options

Here's a recent raw pickup, a 1900 Barber Quarter. It has the Type 3 OBV variety paired with the Type 3 REV variety:

It will be sent off to the grading room soon. Perhaps a XF 45?

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    Here's a recent raw pickup, a 1900 Barber Quarter. It has the Type 3 OBV variety paired with the Type 3 REV variety.
    It will be sent off to the grading room soon. Perhaps a XF 45?

45 is just about right Jeff.

• Options
    edited May 12, 2021 4:08PM

@sedulous said:
    Another update. I attempted a crossover of this 1894-O quarter from ANACS XF45 to PCGS. The result was a straight grade equivalence into a PCGS XF45...

Edit: TrueViews came out today:

'94-O dime as well...

• Tim

• Options

My favorite quarter date and mint. Improved pics of my PC45. TrueView is the 'overseas' version (where they show the entire holder) so my pic(s) here might be better to visualize the coin:

• Options

Just approved yesterday to have a green CAC sticker! love this XF45+ quarter!

• Tim

• Options

I am struggling to find nice XF in this surprising mid-series Philly mint (1901) at a quarter size.

• Options

PCGS XF-45 CAC. Happy Saturday!

• Options
    edited May 15, 2021 1:16PM

I purchased a 1912 S raw Quarter several months back with an obvious flaw in the planchet on the reverse. It was sent to our hosts for grading. I wasn't sure what to expect, but here's what came back:

Is a Details grade appropriate? I can argue the point either way. There is no PMD or cleaning, but clearly the planchet was flawed prior to striking. Aren't error coins typically straight graded?

• Options

Yes, if you submit it as an error and pay the baggage fee! :#

@JeffMTampa said:
    I purchased a 1912 S raw Quarter several months back with an obvious flaw in the planchet on the reverse. It was sent to our hosts for grading. I wasn't sure what to expect, but here's what came back:

Is a Details grade appropriate? I can argue the point either way. There is no PMD or cleaning, but clearly the planchet was flawed prior to striking. Aren't error coins typically straight graded?

• Options

@paesan Lenny, what a sweet '14!

• Options

Agree with Darrell, You gotta pay up if you want it the way you want it!
    Tim, Thanks!

For today, an eye appealing AU half with a tiny rim bruise, hardly noticable.

• Options

Here's one of Srotag's AU-58 CAC coins....
    Pix courtesy Vernmeister!

• Options

A recent upgrade, now 58+ CAC...

• Options

XF 1897-S Barber Dime...

• T

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options

@sedulous said:
    XF 1897-S Barber Dime...

• T

Tim- is that a RPM or does the toning ghost image just make it look that way?

• Options

I'm in process of inventorying known Barber Half varieties for BCCS and came across one that's unknowingly been in my set for several years, a 1908 O Half with a re-punched MM (RPM):

Since this variety was not mentioned in the Cherrypickers book PCGS doesn't recognize it, but it is listed in Kevin Flynn's Book as 1898 O 50C RPD-001

• Options

That is certainly microscopic collecting! :#

@JeffMTampa said:
    I'm in process of inventorying known Barber Half varieties for BCCS and came across one that's unknowingly been in my set for several years, a 1908 O Half with a re-punched MM (RPM):

Since this variety was not mentioned in the Cherrypickers book PCGS doesn't recognize it, but it is listed in Kevin Flynn's Book as 1898 O 50C RPD-001

• Options

A toughie! PC-58 CAC

• Options

@JeffMTampa Jeff, that is an RPM per Steve... I have his comments by way of email laying around somewhere.

That '98-O half is SW it looks like. Great find and zoom-in skills for a close-up!

• Options

@amwldcoin Darrell, I think what Jeff has done so far is remarkable in the half dollar variety space. Thanks for cheering on the great work he is doing! Tim

• Options

What would really be interesting is to see if they all have the die crack!

@sedulous said:
    @amwldcoin Darrell, I think what Jeff has done so far is remarkable in the half dollar variety space. Thanks for cheering on the great work he is doing! Tim

• Options

A trio of 1900-S quarters. Guess which one CAC'd. Guess which one is the 55. (The other two are 58s)

• Options
    RedglobeRedglobe Posts: 613 ✭✭✭

1st -58
    2nd-58 CAC
    3rd-55

Rob
  • Options

nice group!

• Options
    edited May 20, 2021 8:46PM

@paesan
    Lenny, I think the first one CAC'd. Agree with Rob the 3rd one is the 55. - Tim

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

1CAC

#3 55

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

1- 58
    2- 58 CAC
    3- 55

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

A lower grade from an AU50 to an XF45 but a quality improvement in my book for my XF set...

A heartfelt thanks to Liz Coggan who located this "upgrade" for me.

• Tim

• Options
    RedglobeRedglobe Posts: 613 ✭✭✭

Seeing the post on the '95-S got me to looking,I went to a show here in Tennessee.
    After looking at over 20+ coins I found one

Rob
  • Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

@paesan said:
    A trio of 1900-S quarters. Guess which one CAC'd. Guess which one is the 55. (The other two are 58s)

1st one is 55 CAC...?

• Options

Well, lots of responses on my 1900-S quiz! I think Jed got the closest, but no right answers. I think this illustrates the inconsistencies in TPGs and CAC. Before I give the correct answers, let me just say that my opinion is the #1 should be a 58 CAC, and the other two I'd grade 55.

Answers:

1 PCGS AU-55 Did not CAC

2 NGC AU-58 CAC

3 PCGS AU-58 Did not CAC

And for today, a key date from the Srotag collection, PC-25 CAC

• Options
    edited May 22, 2021 4:31AM

I was wondering when you were going to advertise that one! ;)
    Edit to add: I could fill up 15 or 20 pages here myself!

@paesan said:
    Well, lots of responses on my 1900-S quiz! I think Jed got the closest, but no right answers. I think this illustrates the inconsistencies in TPGs and CAC. Before I give the correct answers, let me just say that my opinion is the #1 should be a 58 CAC, and the other two I'd grade 55.

Answers:

1 PCGS AU-55 Did not CAC

2 NGC AU-58 CAC

3 PCGS AU-58 Did not CAC

And for today, a key date from the Srotag collection, PC-25 CAC

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file