Home U.S. Coin Forum

1795 Flowing Hair Dollar

EddiEddi Posts: 502 ✭✭✭✭✭

This 1795 dollar has primarily silver/grey surfaces with a bit of light brown, no visible hairlines or other obvious signs of cleaning.
The Pictures reflect fairly accurately the way it looks in hand.

I am inclined to think that, if at all, it may have been dipped long ago since otherwise the toning would (should?) be much more intense and darker.
What is your opinion? and specifically, do you think it would grade straight?

Ex. B&M in the mid 80's. Variety Bolender-5 (one of the most common for the type).

Thanks you

Comments

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭✭✭

Likely cleaned a long time ago (dipped perhaps?) but there are no hairlines that I can see from the photo... it looks like a nice piece. I'm sure others that have actually worked for a TPG service will weigh in on this one...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Cool coin.

Looks old.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 18, 2021 6:32PM

The coin looks like it's been dipped, if not lightly cleaned by other means. But it also looks as if it would straight grade.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

enjoy being able to rub her between your fingers and lay in your palm! (only if you are in a carpeted room lol)

fun to buy coins like this and have a collection of or for some, to have as a centerpiece.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess is that it was gently cleaned with baking soda several decades ago, and that it has since retoned both naturally and attractively. It has a good chance of straight grading.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks similar to one I owned. It will straight grade.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it. Not original but most coins from that era have been messed with. I think it would straight grade. History in your hands and a really cool design.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin!

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many of the people here expressing opinions that it will straight-grade are world-class numismatists. I can't add much to their opinions, other than this:

• There's only one way to find out if it will grade.
    • It is a tremendously cool coin, either way.
  • vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 18, 2021 6:03PM

I would love to own that coin - what a piece of history.

I hope it straight grades in spite of an ancient cleaning.

Vplite99
  • truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

I would be proud to own it whatever it may grade

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you are right, and that the coin probably will straight grade.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

The question to me is why it is not in a holder currently as a fairly expensive coin? Pleasing surfaces, no problems.

• kazkaz Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it should grade straight, maybe 35-40? Nice!

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,490 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    The question to me is why it is not in a holder currently as a fairly expensive coin? Pleasing surfaces, no problems.

Because the OP bought it in the 80s when NOTHING was slabbed and he still owns it.

• CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 18, 2021 7:16PM

EF45 o:) market acceptable and above avg if not completely unmolested. It has been significant for a long time and treated well

Better than mine

• ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 18, 2021 9:13PM

The coin was dipped at one time, and has come back nicely. It's exceptionally blemish-free.

Likely VF30 back in my TPG days. PCGS 40-45, no bean.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭✭✭

No doubt dipped, but still a very nice coin. I believe it will straight grade.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • EddiEddi Posts: 502 ✭✭✭✭✭

My sincere thanks for the many answers.

This will be one of the coins I will want to submit for grading.
    Both PCGS and NGC offer their services in Europe - Since I have never had any coins slabbed, I just need to overcome the fear of loss in the mail or elsewhere....

Has anybody here had experience in submitting coins to PCGS in Europe? I would appreciate any tips. If necessary, I will take the coins personally.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@logger7 said:

Because the OP bought it in the 80s when NOTHING was slabbed and he still owns it.

I've actually heard that question over and over again on valuable raw coins and it is a good question, why isn't it certified? The reasons are many to get a coin certified, and concerns arise with uncertified coins

• FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19, 2021 4:13AM

If you are debating between submission to PCGS or NGC, I would recommend PCGS. I have coins graded by both services, and registry sets at both services, but at this point in time imho PCGS is winning the game- they grade a little tougher but at this price point buyers are also more selective when choosing coins. I happen to own the finest known 1795 $ (MS66 CAC Bullowa-Pogue coin), in fact it’s my avatar, and as of about three years ago I am no longer buying coins in NGC holders.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

A very nice coin... It will straight grade. As far as conjecture about not being slabbed yet....well, as others have stated...there are coins in SDB's, jewelry boxes, trunks in attics, and many other storage devices. Many people have old coins passed down to them, and do not even know grading services exist. There is a whole world out there, beyond our little numismatic circle. Cheers, RickO

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin

• DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19, 2021 5:38AM

No kidding it's been dipped.

Probably about 20 times at least in 225 years.

Still not an issue with me as I'd buy it if the price is right.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a neat coin. The ever-so-slight rim issue (at 10 on the obverse) won't prevent a straight grade. I'd think VF35 on an OK day, XF40 on a decent one.

peacockcoins

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I agree with almost all the assessments here, but wanted to comment just the same since I missed this.

It's a great looking coin, with fantastic detail remaining and mostly mark free. Count me in the EF camp.

Original? No, but I certainly feel it has recovered some, and agree that it will straight grade. I would also suggest you send it to our host and not ATS. I think that would be the most prudent dinner jacket if you decide to sell her.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • KliaoKliao Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. Nice piece!

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

peace of mind comes with knowing you have good insurance in place.

does anyone have a value estimate with a best straight grade estimate?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file