Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The Hockey Card Thread...show your recent pick-ups.

Comments

• Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 8, 2021 10:25AM

I've always really liked the 1996 UD black diamond set. It is a forerunner for the young guns seeding concept. I think the base triple diamonds are undervalued, as they are so condition sensitive. The gold triple diamonds are tough to come by, and have a run of 50 each. This Thornton is an important card in its own right. Just picked up the gold set, and am very pleased.

Scratches are on the holder...

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭✭✭

@miwlvrn said:
    Here is what the 1989 Russian Postcards Sergei Fedorov looks like. Seems more like a school photo than a sports card. I'm more of a fan of the appearance of the action + portrait Russian postcards from the 70's sets than I am of the just portraits from the 80's, but it is what it is.

This has to be one of the worst cards of all time.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    tomg1977tomg1977 Posts: 63 ✭✭✭

Added 2 really nice Makar autos to the PC. The Pride of a Nation one I have wanted for a while. Picked up the OPCP Matte Pink auto in a trade. Had to move a nice Jack Hughes to get it. And picked up the Kaprizov from a twitter friend.

• Options
    rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

Down to 2 now to complete this set: Colorado patch/auto /10, and dual patch auto /5. I've never seen the /5.

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• Options
    erbaerba Posts: 287 ✭✭✭✭

@shagrotn77 said:
    For those of you who appreciate HOF pre-rookies like myself, here are a couple 1-of-1s (as in the only examples of each graded) that I just got back from PSA today, along with the B&W Savard (also a 1/1):

I love pre-rookies as well. I need to keep an eye out for this Iginla. I'd love to get one and get it signed.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭✭✭

@shagrotn77 said:
    For those of you who appreciate HOF pre-rookies like myself, here are a couple 1-of-1s (as in the only examples of each graded) that I just got back from PSA today, along with the B&W Savard (also a 1/1):

Congrats again on the successful crack/separate/sub to keep Iggy a 9! I didn't have the guts to separate the panels, which is why I subbed both complete panels I had (both came back 9's). I had convinced myself that I would fail at separating the perforations and end up with a 5 or something, even though at the time I really would have preferred one panel and one single. I'm glad to see it has found a great home in your collection!

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭

@miwlvrn said:

@shagrotn77 said:

Congrats again on the successful crack/separate/sub to keep Iggy a 9! I didn't have the guts to separate the panels, which is why I subbed both complete panels I had (both came back 9's). I had convinced myself that I would fail at separating the perforations and end up with a 5 or something, even though at the time I really would have preferred one panel and one single. I'm glad to see it has found a great home in your collection!

Thanks! I wouldn't have trusted myself to crack the case or separate the cards, so I had a buddy of mine handle that for me.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

@miwlvrn said:
    I just noticed that some of the 2003 Extreme L'Oceanic 4-168 Sidney Crosby cards have the 4-168 card number on the back, and some don't. Does anyone have more info on this discrepancy? Just referring to the regular base card, not the Limited Edition (White multi-pic) one or the Auto one.

I'm revisiting this question I had posted earlier; still hoping for any insight if possible.

• Options
    stanforddudestanforddude Posts: 80 ✭✭✭

This was a mythical card that I remember hearing about back in the early 90s. I’ve had an Ebay search for “Ty Gretzky” for the past 15 years and only saw one of these pop up years ago before this BGS 9. And then miraculously another one just showed up days later (item 224510900403) Curious if anyone knows the backstory of this card. I assume the Gretzky family was given a batch and some others slipped out the back door at Upper Deck.

• Options

So cool. I've seen a lot of 1991 UD hockey but I've never seen or heard about that Ty Gretzky card. Just when I thought I knew everything about 1989-1993...

Nathanael

• Options
    Jayman1982Jayman1982 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭

What the heckity heck? I have never seen one of these before either! What a cool card

Here's a shot of the back for those interested:

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭✭✭

@shagrotn77 Andy, that’s a hell of an Iginla!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

I don’t collect much hockey but am happy to own this card:

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

@DBesse27 said:
    @shagrotn77 Andy, that’s a hell of an Iginla!

Thanks! And boy was it tough to track down.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    tomg1977tomg1977 Posts: 63 ✭✭✭

Missed out on a few of these on Ebay last week. One popped up on FB recently, and was able to acquire it. Moved a bigger non PC piece to get it. Will look nice with the other Makar autos I have.

• Options

@rmh111985 said:
    Picked up a top-3 card from my PC want list this week:

That’s awesome!

Yaz Master Set

• Options
    StamkosFanStamkosFan Posts: 255 ✭✭✭
    edited November 12, 2021 9:25PM

• Options
    StamkosFanStamkosFan Posts: 255 ✭✭✭
    edited November 14, 2021 9:20PM

Got it re-slabbed.
    I don't care what anyone says.....so sick, I'm in love lol.

• Options

Big time pickup for my Roy PC that arrived last week. St. Patrick Relics Patch Auto - Colorado version /10:

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• Options

@jimrad said:

Casually drops the 1971? topps hockey box. No big deal....

Amazing! Love the 54 topps set. I want to start that one too.

• Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

@ssdawg77 said:
    Been toying with the idea of doing the 54 Topps set, I've picked these up over the last few months.

Even without Leafs and Canadiens, probably the best set ever produced. Had those two teams been included, it wouldn't even be an argument.

• Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭

I finally picked up a 1979 PSA 9 OPC Jets emblem to go with my Oilers and Whalers emblem cards, thus completing the trilogy.

OPC used team photo cards for the teams’ checklists in ‘79 but must not have had photos for the Jets, Whalers and Oilers. Too bad! An Oilers team card with Gretzky would have been awesome. Ditto a Whalers card with Gordie Howe. (There is, however, a team photo/checklist card for the Quebec Nordiques who also joined that year.)

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭

Got these back from PSA today!!

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options

@jackstraw said:

Very nice! Did you send in any Grant Fuhrs from that issue? I’m in the market for one.

• Options
    ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭

@shagrotn77 said:

@jackstraw said:

Very nice! Did you send in any Grant Fuhrs from that issue? I’m in the market for one.

No sorry but was planning on it when the prices come back to earth..

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    LGCLGC Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

PSA mail day!

Very happy with this raw pick-up from 2021 - they don't always work out so well:

• Options
    Jayman1982Jayman1982 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭

@LGC said:
    PSA mail day!

Very happy with this raw pick-up from 2021 - they don't always work out so well:

Dayum!!! Don't see that everyday

• Options

I grabbed this about a month ago from a local collector, harpooned the top whale on my Roy PC wantlist:

• Options
    edited January 4, 2022 11:56AM

For the few on here interested in foreign hockey items, thought I'd post a photo guide to telling the difference between years of issue for the Frolunda Indians team issue postcards (2000, 2001, 2002 and 2003). They can be a little challenging for some, and quite often you'll find that sellers do not put the correct year in their listings. My 2002 and 2003 ones happen to be auto'd, but they were originally issued without autographs or facsimiles. Some of the hockey guides that list these do not include enough identifying info to let you know which year is which. However, It is pretty clear if you study the uniform changes.

• Options

Does Riikka Sallinen have a card? I'm struggling to find an early one from any Euro-issuers. There's probably some sort of team promo postcard item out there somewhere but haven't discovered anything yet. Wondering what will be used for the HHOF RC registry composition.

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Frozencaribou said:
    I've owned this Beliveau in an SGC 88 and a PSA 7, but didn't fully appreciate these Quakers until the last few years. This is my latest acquisition. Thinking this can't be below a PSA 6, can it?

-Nathanael

Beautiful card. Submit it yet, or too many reasons not to ?
    Love the card.

• Options
    erbaerba Posts: 287 ✭✭✭✭

@miwlvrn said:
    Does Riikka Sallinen have a card? I'm struggling to find an early one from any Euro-issuers. There's probably some sort of team promo postcard item out there somewhere but haven't discovered anything yet. Wondering what will be used for the HHOF RC registry composition.

I have searched as well with no luck. She's not even listed on TCDB.

• Options

Apparently she has a full team card that was team issued, but no individual one.

• Options
    Nathan401Nathan401 Posts: 56 ✭✭✭

• Options

@miwlvrn said:
    For the few on here interested in foreign hockey items, thought I'd post a photo guide to telling the difference between years of issue for the Frolunda Indians team issue postcards (2000, 2001, 2002 and 2003). They can be a little challenging for some, and quite often you'll find that sellers do not put the correct year in their listings. My 2002 and 2003 ones happen to be auto'd, but they were originally issued without autographs or facsimiles. Some of the hockey guides that list these do not include enough identifying info to let you know which year is which. However, It is pretty clear if you study the uniform changes.

I wanted to add the image of the 2004 card to continue this team-issue run:

• Options
    edited September 24, 2022 3:09PM

@Goldenage said:

@Frozencaribou said:
    I've owned this Beliveau in an SGC 88 and a PSA 7, but didn't fully appreciate these Quakers until the last few years. This is my latest acquisition. Thinking this can't be below a PSA 6, can it?

-Nathanael

Beautiful card. Submit it yet, or too many reasons not to ?
    Love the card.

I did submit the Beliveau, and PSA did damage it as I feared they might. Take a look at the lower left corner. After all I know about what has been happening at PSA over the last two years, I really do have to shoulder the blame for letting PSA handle an irreplaceable card that I cherish. I think I've finally convinced myself that whatever golden grade might lie ahead for an ungraded card, it is too risky to send it to PSA these days.

Card prior to grading