Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Major change for heirs of coins/bullion in new legislation

derrybderryb Posts: 36,263 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 1, 2021 8:30AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Estate taxes big target for a Washington in need of cash

The “Sensible Taxation and Equity Promotion” Act of 2021, among other things, will reduce the estate exemption from $11.2M to $1M. And, it will be retroactive to Jan. 1.

"Just about every asset is included, ranging from real estate to a small family business. They even specifically included collectibles like art, gold, and rare coins."

Currently an heir assigns current market value as his cost basis when he inherits a coin collection (or any asset), commonly referred to as "step up basis." This means when he sells it he uses his new, higher "cost basis" to calculate taxable profit and not the deceased's original (and normally much lower) cost (priced paid). This current method saves the heir a lot capital gains taxes. Most importantly, this current tax "loophole" dictates that it is best, tax wise, to not sell an asset before death with plans to leave the proceeds to his heirs. Better to let the heir inherit the asset and then sell it with a much lower tax liability.

Under the new legislation not only is the exemption threshold reduced by 1000%, but the "step up basis" loophole is removed as well. At time of death the assets get assigned a current fair market value with tax immediately imposed on the difference between original purchase price and the current fair market value. They will tax your assets as if you sold them on the day you die.

If passed, this legislation calls for many to re-evaluate their existing wills, trusts and estate planning with, of course, professional advice. It will also remove the advantage of waiting until after death to sell an asset that is planned on going to an heir.

While this issue encompasses all assets, let's remind ourselves that here we are concerned about it's impact on our coin collection.

Are they really this stupid, or are they destroying the dollar on purpose?

Comments

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

Imagine the impact of this act after a decade or so of high inflation.

Higashiyama
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2021 7:05AM

@Higashiyama said:
    Imagine the impact of this act after a decade or so of high inflation.

Likely what it's authors had in mind since inflation will exacerbate the national debt.

May be a good time to start including heirs' names on the deed/title/account.

• Options
    edited April 1, 2021 7:49AM

@DelawareDoons said:
    I would have chosen a number more like $1.5m or $2m, but I agree with the premise of the law.

There are still a million loopholes to avoid paying taxes on inheritances.

I fully understand and support the lowering of the estate tax threshold. It puts a bigger burden on those most able to pay taxes.

But, is it really fair to tax the value of property being transferred from a death? It is not the same as disposing of the property through a sale where capital gains are actually realized and therefore subject to income tax. This new proposal could result in the loss of a family business simply because of a tax bill that can't be paid without liquidating the business. It could also mean your family will have to sell your coin collection or your great grandmother's diamond necklace that they would really love to keep in the family simply because your uncle wants a piece of every dead person's property. It will mean that ALL personal property will eventually be whittled down to nothing left for the decendents after taxes that are imposed every time its current owner dies. If you read the OP link you will see that this is exactly why the medival Magna Carta came into existence.

• Options
    taxmadtaxmad Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭

The option should be there to maintain the original basis in the property and pay tax when it is sold OR pay tax based on the gain at time of death. The current situation - giving the heirs the stepped-up basis really is a massive give away in terms of tax revenue.

• Options
    edited April 1, 2021 8:06AM

Unfortunately the removal of "step up basis" will also punish the not so wealthy who will in many cases have to sell the family business or the family heirlooms (such as coin collections) just to pay this unjust, additional property tax. It chisels away at the American ideal of providing for your family, even after your death.

Next up - the gift tax exemption limit

• Options
    edited April 1, 2021 8:13AM

@DelawareDoons said:

Pay your taxes while you're alive, or pay them while you're dead.

That's my point. There are no income taxes due on my coin collection while I'm alive. But now there will be income taxes on it when I pass it to my kid's who will again pay income taxes when they pass it to their kids. . . and on an on until their is no coin collection left. It will become the government's way to long term bleed it's citizens of their possessions.

The government is saying "'we want a piece of every inherited asset, regardless of the heir's wealth or income, even if it means selling the asset to pay us our cut."

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

With the national debt, it's inevitable. We can kick the can down the road only so long.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@DelawareDoons said:

That's my point. There are no income taxes due on my coin collection while I'm alive. But now there will be income taxes on it when I pass it to my kid's who will again pay income taxes when they pass it to their kids. . . and on an on until their is no coin collection left. It will become the government's way to long term bleed it's citizens of their possessions.

The government is saying "'we want a piece of every inherited asset, regardless of the heir's wealth or income, even if it means selling the asset to pay us our cut."

Put the assets you want to give to your kids in an irrevocable trust before you die. Problem solved.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    edited April 1, 2021 8:26AM

@DelawareDoons said:

@derryb said:

@DelawareDoons said:

Put the assets you want to give to your kids in an irrevocable trust before you die. Problem solved.

the legislation would subject certain transfers into trusts to immediate unrealized capital gains taxes. Likely why they want it to be retroactive.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,861 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    Unfortunately the removal of "step up basis" will also punish the not so wealthy who will in many cases have to sell the family business or the family heirlooms (such as coin collections) just to pay this unjust, additional property tax. It chisels away at the American ideal of providing for your family, even after your death.

Next up - the gift tax exemption limit

The prior thresholds (even without that new cost basis approach) caused a lot of family farms and businesses to be broken up to pay the taxes. Tax reform done some years ago alleviated much of this. Now they want to roll those changes back, and with a vengeance.

There are many motives at play here, many of which are not obvious or transparent. Class warfare and wealth redistribution will not help anyone, only hurt.

America is (was) the kind of place where if you were not happy with your piece of the pie, you didn't need to take some of someone else's. It was not a zero sum game. You could just go out and bake your own pie.

And how in the world can you ever calculate the cost basis on random collectables acquired decades ago? It's just not realistic.

I know how this story ends. When I lived in Europe most of my friends or their parents had Swiss bank accounts. People will do whatever is necessary to protect their assets from confiscatory taxation.

• Options

@derryb said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@derryb said:

@DelawareDoons said:

the legislation would subject certain transfers into trusts to immediate unrealized capital gains taxes.

Woe, you have to pay taxes on profits.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    edited April 1, 2021 8:34AM

Inflation will drive up the value of our coin collections which will over time move there value closer to the proposed estate exemption limit.

• Options
    cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Sensible Taxation and Equity Promotion Act of 2021 (STEP) has little chances of passage as written because it is a non starter for Republicans.

Good Talking Points...That's all it is. Talking Points..

• Options

majority rules. lol

• Options

@derryb said:
    majority rules. lol

Not in this case. It would take 60 votes in the Senate...

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would certainly hope if they pass this and try to make it retroactive it would be deemed unconstitutional. That's just the government blatantly stealing money.

What if someone inherited several million dollars in January and donated most of it to charity. Would they be indebted to the government for the rest of their lives because they can't pay the taxes on the money they gave away that they didn't owe taxes on when they got it?

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

I fully understand and support the lowering of the estate tax threshold. It puts a bigger burden on those most able to pay taxes.

But, is it really fair to tax the value of property being transferred from a death? It is not the same as disposing of the property through a sale where capital gains are actually realized and therefore subject to income tax. This new proposal could result in the loss of a family business simply because of a tax bill that can't be paid without liquidating the business. It could also mean your family will have to sell your coin collection or your great grandmother's diamond necklace that they would really love to keep in the family simply because your uncle wants a piece of every dead person's property. It will mean that ALL personal property will eventually be whittled down to nothing left for the decendents after taxes that are imposed every time its current owner dies. If you read the OP link you will see that this is exactly why the medival Magna Carta came into existence.

Yes.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons said:

@derryb said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@derryb said:

@DelawareDoons said:

the legislation would subject certain transfers into trusts to immediate unrealized capital gains taxes.

It isn't a profit or loss until it's liquidated, not when it's simply transferred to a relative(s).

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

@telephoto1 said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@derryb said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@derryb said:

@DelawareDoons said:

It isn't a profit or loss until it's liquidated, not when it's simply transferred to a relative(s).

"How to create an oligarchical society in one, easy step."

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

No comment other than this is clearly going to get very political and I'm ducking out!

@DelawareDoons said:
    What are you guys complaining about? I really don't get it.

If you pulled yourself up by your bootstraps and made enough money to pass on 7 figures at death, why wouldn't you want your heirs to have that same sense of resilience and dogged determination to do so well in life without your help?

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 1, 2021 9:10AM

Spend like a drunkard + always raise taxes = Democrat.

Here in Canada = Liberal or NDP (take your pick).

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am waiting for the day when the law changes to simplify the federal tax return to one page containing two questions and a single instruction.

Question #1 What do you own?

Question #2 How much did you make this tax year?

Instruction - Send what you have and what you made this tax year to the IRS at the address set forth below.

B)

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread doesn't have to be overtly political and it relates directly to coin collecting, rare coins, precious metals, the larger rare collectible community, and in fact the entire reason we and Collector's Universe are here.

I would hope that our members can be civil and discuss the implications, positive and negative, in a search for legitimate answers to a legitimate issue affecting our community. And I would hope our sponsors allow a reasonable discussion to continue so long as our members don't take pot shots and make this discussion unnecessarily political.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 1, 2021 9:37AM

Edited... surely an April Fools Joke.

A cruel one at that...

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,381 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb
    Thanks for the information. I will keep my thoughts to myself and hope that this discussion does not go politically nuclear.
    Wayne :)

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well that sucks!

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    heavymetalheavymetal Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭

When the parties pull this section out of the bill, they will both look good to their constituents. This , IMO is a “ Horsetrading Provision.”

• Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

IS THIS A APRIL FOOLS JOKE?

Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options

Since the proposed bill has Zero chance of passage in the Senate, the post is Not for information purposes.

It's a political post and as such, will be deleted in due time...

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ScarsdaleCoin said:

If so, the OP really had most of us! Given that at a great number of those voting on the bill have likely estates in the multi millions it does seem odd that such a low threshold number of one million would be incorporated in any proposed legislation.

• Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

From a practical perspective and specifically as it pertains to coins, knowing the heir's cost basis could be difficult. In theory everyone should be tracking cost basis in any assets, but it often doesn't work out that way.

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1northcoin said:

@ScarsdaleCoin said:

If so, the OP really had most of us! Given that at a great number of those voting on the bill have likely estates in the multi millions it does seem odd that such a low threshold number of one million would be incorporated in any proposed legislation.

OK, did a little Google searching and can't find anything confirming. Can the OP offer a link for us if this is not in fact an April's Fool joke.

Assuming the later, well played!

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ScarsdaleCoin said:

NO.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

As this relates to coins, which will only be a part of an inherited estate, there could be some unintended ramifications.
    Coins are fairly liquid and will most certainly be sold before a business or house on order to pay a tax bill. In the coming decades that could put a lot of coins on the market that might have otherwise stayed in families. I see this as a doubled edged sword. Some real rarities might come to the market that otherwise wouldn’t have been appreciated by the heirs. There could also be a flood of coins to the market that would depress prices until a new normal was found. Both of those situations could be viewed as good or bad, depending on your position, but it would definitely be something to navigate.
    Regardless of the tax laws we could see these things happen just because baby boomers are getting older.

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess is a lot of wealthy people will go out and create a huge irrevocable life insurance trust (ILIT) with the heir as the trustee. The life insurance policy avoids estate taxation at death if you create the trust properly. The life insurance proceeds can then be used to pay the estate taxes or transfer wealth to your heirs. Problem solved and a big win for the insurance industry.

This type of trust solves the problem of having your life insurance policy being counted as part of your estate. According to Investopedia, Section 2042 of the Internal Revenue Code states that the value of life insurance proceeds insuring your life are included in your gross estate if the proceeds are payable: (1) to your estate, either directly or indirectly, or (2) to named beneficiaries if you possessed any incidents of ownership in the policy at the time of your death. If you want your life insurance proceeds to avoid federal estate taxation, you'll need to transfer ownership of your policy to another person or entity before your death. If you want to retain some control over the life insurance policy and make sure premiums continue to be paid, you can use the life insurance trust.

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another option will be to use a credit shelter A/B trust for married individuals to save a large amount on estate taxes. Basically, the trust allows a husband and wife to split an estate in 2 before passing it on to heirs. For an estate worth $2 million or less it will allow the estate to pass an additional $1 million tax free. Even for estates over $2 million it will still save a considerable amount of estate taxes on the additional million. The catch is you have to set it up before you die so talk to an estate planner.

This discussion has been closed.