Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Major change for heirs of coins/bullion in new legislation

2»

Comments

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

In before poof

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 1, 2021 11:12AM

The biggest thing I can recommend for anyone with a considerable estate is to find a competent estate planner, tax accountant and lawyer who can help you navigate the changes and plan accordingly before your death. Spending a small amount of money now can save you hundreds of thousands in taxes later on.

• Options
    taxmadtaxmad Posts: 964 ✭✭✭✭

Might be time to invest in life insurance companies as this will increase demand for policies to pay the estate taxes. As for requiring 60 votes - if it is part of the budget reconciliation package then it will require a simple majority.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RYK said:
    I am a participant of a couple of personal finance-related forums, and they have a rule that you are not allowed to discuss proposed legislation. It makes a lot of sense because all kinds of wacky things get proposed that never come to pass, and discussing it and arguing about it does not add much to the espirit du corps of the community.

I will concern myself with the particular proposal when it passes. In its current form, I give it a 0.01% chance of passing, and a 99.99% chance of being overturned when the administration changes sides. (I just have to stay alive between the two points in time.)

or you can use your now gained advance knowledge of it to let your elected officials know that you do not like the implications this has of passing your coin collection to your heirs.

"When the rule of law collapses, civilization can no longer survive." - Martin Armstrong

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 1, 2021 11:43AM

Pirate chest, shovel, One Eyed Willy map...what will/estate under .gov scrutiny when it comes to coins/bullion??

The rest of it I feel is horrible.

• Options

@DelawareDoons said:

@derryb said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@derryb said:

@DelawareDoons said:

Pay your taxes while you're alive, or pay them while you're dead.

That's my point. There are no income taxes due on my coin collection while I'm alive. But now there will be income taxes on it when I pass it to my kid's who will again pay income taxes when they pass it to their kids. . . and on an on until their is no coin collection left. It will become the government's way to long term bleed it's citizens of their possessions.

The government is saying "'we want a piece of every inherited asset, regardless of the heir's wealth or income, even if it means selling the asset to pay us our cut."

Put the assets you want to give to your kids in an irrevocable trust before you die. Problem solved.

the legislation would subject certain transfers into trusts to immediate unrealized capital gains taxes.

Woe, you have to pay taxes on profits.

The proposal requires you to pay taxes without taking any profits. It's taxing the value, not a sale.

"When the rule of law collapses, civilization can no longer survive." - Martin Armstrong

• Options

@ScarsdaleCoin said:
    IS THIS A APRIL FOOLS JOKE?

It be very real.

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, but probably not going to pass in that or any form. Let's see what makes it into a bill as a first step before we panic.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    TradesWithChopsTradesWithChops Posts: 640 ✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    I'll say this once because it might be deemed political.

This will make it hard for those who wish to pass their family farms on to their children. A million dollars isn't really that much any more when you are talking about real estate. This will be more true if inflation really gets going with the increases in the money supply.

Personally, I don't think that is fair to future generations who have worked the land within a family for a long time.

im skeptical of any limit that doesnt automatically adjust with changes in inflation.

Minor Variety Trade dollar's with chop marks set:
    More Than It's Chopped Up To Be

• Options
    TradesWithChopsTradesWithChops Posts: 640 ✭✭✭✭

@Cameonut said:
    I firmly believe we have a spending problem, not a revenue problem. The half of the population that does pay income tax is taxed enough already.

You all should be happy that america has a spending problem, since spending on coins squarely falls into the "not need" category of spending. :D

Minor Variety Trade dollar's with chop marks set:
    More Than It's Chopped Up To Be

• Options
    Raybob15239Raybob15239 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

Not a joke. This is going to devastate the middle class and family farms and businesses. The rich will always find a way to shelter assets. The rest of us, not so much.

The unified credit is a federal tax credit applicable to federal estate and gift taxes. Under the current law, you can pass on $11.5 million in assets free from estate and gift tax. The rate, by the way is 40%. Biden wants to lower the credit to allow just $1 million to pass tax free and increase the rate to 45%. That's right. The federal government would size nearly have of your assets over $1 million at your death. If you own a nice house or property in NY, CA, HI, and other states, you are probably well over $1,000,000 in assets.

Successful B/S/T transactions: As Seller: PascoWA (June 2008); MsMorrisine (April 2009); ECHOES (July 2009) As Buyer: bfjohnson (July 2008); robkool (Dec 2010); itsnotjustme (Dec 2010) TwoSides2aCoin (Dec 2018) PrivateCoin Jan 2019
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cagcrisp said:

@derryb said:
    majority rules. lol

Not in this case. It would take 60 votes in the Senate...

@cagcrisp said:

@derryb said:
    majority rules. lol

currently....

That is under discussion.

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the absurd name given to this legislation that simply confiscates one's wealth.

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately It was All lost in a tragic boating accident

BHNC #248 … 121 and counting.

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 1, 2021 2:39PM

@BryceM said:
    With continued devaluation of the dollar, In 10 years, a million will be the average yearly family income. Everything I have was already taxed once by the Feds (and by the State, and yearly in property tax, and every time I buy something as sales tax). Why do they need yet another swing at it?

As proposed, it would devastate small Ag, small business, and as was stated above, there's not much sense in discussing it before the very rich people we put in Congress agree to something that will hurt their own families badly.

So true.

Reading about this monstrosity I see the usual talk of "the rich" (frequently absurdly defined) as well as the standard conflating of "millionaires and billionaires" . It's so pathetic and preposterous.

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@cagcrisp said:

@derryb said:
    majority rules. lol

@cagcrisp said:

@derryb said:
    majority rules. lol

currently....

That is under discussion.

Even if they did away with the filibuster, you couldn’t get 20 Democratic Senators to vote for passage. Schumer wouldn’t even bring it to a vote...

IF...You wanted to turn Blue New York and Blue California to Red...That’s a recipe...

This discussion has been closed.