Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

May the Force be With this Thread - Show Off your Star Wars Cards!

ghooper33ghooper33 Posts: 306 ✭✭✭

Hello all - I thought it would be fun for folks to show off any of their Star Wars cards and have some discussions around these cards.

I have been collecting “vintage” oddball Star Wars, but please post what you are collecting or ask any questions/discuss!

I’ll start with the 1977 Yamakatsu Star Wars cards. One thing that I think is fun about collecting Star Wars is the international catalog of cards. These postcard sized cards were released in Japan in either one card gamble packs (which could have a “winner” stamp on the backs of the card) or a cello pack.

Packs at Target/Walmart have been hard to come by so I bought a couple of the cello packs to break!

“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act but a habit.” -Aristotle
Tagged:

Comments

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

• ghooper33ghooper33 Posts: 306 ✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

Gorgeous auto! Whenever I hear his voice in any other of his roles I still initially think "that's Darth Vader!"

“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act but a habit.” -Aristotle

I love the Topps cards. To me there are the perfect combination of being scarce but not too rare and condition sensitive with the colored borders making it available for all types of collectors.

Love the Hershey's cards! These are tough to find!

@UFFDAH said:

Perfect example of what I think is the most recognizable cards from the Topps sets. Thank you for sharing!

@ghooper33 said:

I love the Topps cards. To me there are the perfect combination of being scarce but not too rare and condition sensitive with the colored borders making it available for all types of collectors.

I agree - one of the nicer looking and unique looking sets Topps has ever produced.

@ghooper33 said:

Love the Hershey's cards! These are tough to find!

Yes, it is a great set assuredly and almost impossible to find these days. Aside from Luke, those are complete boxes with tabs. Luke is a box bottom.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

always loved the stickers.

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2021 2:38PM

luckily my dad was a collector. saved all my childhood cards and my imperial army. too bad i opened them. but kinda learned a lesson. any of my sons toys he loves, i buy him a boxed one and throw it in storage. if paw patrol or pj masks ever takes off in 20 years, he'll be set!

I don't have many signed Star Wars cards, but I thought this one was cool looking.

• UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

A couple of Auto cards I still have. Bought them as GEMS and then sent in for Auto Grading. A POP 2 and a POP 1.

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone should post that C3PO error card from the green series lol.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

edited January 29, 2021 1:09AM

@coolstanley said:
    Someone should post that C3PO error card from the green series lol.

this guy? old scan...

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't collect Star Wars but I'd like to show some scans posted by Jery aka roastedcat who I haven't seen around in some time.

My recollection is that he sold out on his collection - the display was like from a galaxy far far away!

Mike

Amazing collection!

Today I got a nice addition to the Star Wars vintage oddball collection: the 1978 Star Wars Burger Chef Darth Vader Game unopened card game. I already had a rough set of these cards, and now I am super excited about adding this to my collection.

Now the question to the board - should I separate these and get them graded?

Here is my open rough separated set:

• alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭

Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • What a great thread. Am I reading the eBay sold listings incorrectly, or have Star Wars Wonder Bread cards that are PSA graded exploded in value recently? Particularly the Luke Skywalker card that is the first in the series. PSA 9s seem to be selling for far more than a PSA 10 would have set you back 12 months ago.

@Dergrosse13 said:
    What a great thread. Am I reading the eBay sold listings incorrectly, or have Star Wars Wonder Bread cards that are PSA graded exploded in value recently? Particularly the Luke Skywalker card that is the first in the series. PSA 9s seem to be selling for far more than a PSA 10 would have set you back 12 months ago.

These are incredibly tough to grade with the black boarders. PSA 10’s have been in the $300 range for the past few months, but now this is the price for a PSA 9.

Not many sales of PSA 10s but I thought this was interesting - check out the outlier sold auction :)

edited February 9, 2021 3:29AM

Apparently, the 1977 Star Wars cards (any/all including Topps, Wonder Bread, etc) have taken on added significance in the wake of the finale of The Mandalorian, for reasons which should be pretty obvious if you watch the show and if you don’t I will not spoil it in case you change your mind.

I have the cards posted above only and I’m not pumping the set but completed eBay listings for card #1 someone showed me pretty recently blew my mind.

Some are here too:

https://www.psacard.com/auctionprices/non-sport-cards/1977-star-wars/luke-skywalker/values/551054

Exciting stuff...

...but remember...

Adventure? hmmm

Excitement? Hmmmph

A Jedi craves not these things.

• NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not quite sure how I acquired these, but here they are..

• CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭

Great cards guys, but why no Spock cards here?

collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CrimsonTider said:

• stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are the Mandalorian cards out yet?
    Koska Reeves is the one I am looking for.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

edited February 9, 2021 11:28AM

@CrimsonTider said:

Probably the same reason you haven’t posted your set of Phillies all time great great slugger, Dale Murphy?

😉

ETA: My bad. He can also be called a Rockies all time great, as well.

A little love for some sealed boxes/set ...

A mess of BK ANH/ESB panels ...

Misc dupes, from 77 to Widevision ...

• @ghooper33 said:

Not many sales of PSA 10s but I thought this was interesting - check out the outlier sold auction :)

Whoa!! That’s insane inflation in a matter of weeks. Should have picked up one of those 10s when they were selling for $300. I like the Mandolorian, but the way it seems to have single handedly boosted the value of all manner of Star Wars collectibles is crazy. I’m going to have to rifle through my ESB cards and send in any featuring Boba Fett for grading.

• Like the General Mills cards too. And I’ve always has a soft spot for the Tusken Raiders.

• rjcoy06rjcoy06 Posts: 157 ✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    Apparently, the 1977 Star Wars cards (any/all including Topps, Wonder Bread, etc) have taken on added significance in the wake of the finale of The Mandalorian, for reasons which should be pretty obvious if you watch the show and if you don’t I will not spoil it in case you change your mind.

I have the cards posted above only and I’m not pumping the set but completed eBay listings for card #1 someone showed me pretty recently blew my mind.

Some are here too:

https://www.psacard.com/auctionprices/non-sport-cards/1977-star-wars/luke-skywalker/values/551054

Exciting stuff...

...but remember...

Adventure? hmmm

Excitement? Hmmmph

A Jedi craves not these things.

I honestly couldn't wrap my head around this, so pulled 11 low-mid grade blue Skywalker #1s from the dupes box pictured above and listed them with a $.99 start bid last night. Within a couple hours they were bid up to $6 apiece, already more than I would have ever thought someone would willingly pay. Should be fun to see where they finish and I guess it's time to start listing a bunch of other Star Wars.

• I honestly couldn't wrap my head around this, so pulled 11 low-mid grade blue Skywalker #1s from the dupes box pictured above and listed them with a $.99 start bid last night. Within a couple hours they were bid up to $6 apiece, already more than I would have ever thought someone would willingly pay. Should be fun to see where they finish and I guess it's time to start listing a bunch of other Star Wars.

Absolutely. I also used to occasionally buy PSA graded Star Wars cards from 4 Sharp Corners. The prices were decent and they always had a pretty decent selection of graded cards from the five 1977 Topps series (blue, red, yellow, green and orange borders), some Wonder Bread cards, some Topps ESB cards from 1980. Now they have virtually nothing on their site. Instead they are running a huge auction on eBay that ends Sunday night. Should be interesting to see what kind of prices they get—far more than they were charging just a few months ago in all likelihood.

edited February 11, 2021 8:42PM

@rjcoy06 said:

This is the only non-vintage Star Wars set I am putting together. IMHO this is the best set to represent the Legends era.

Edited to push nerd glasses back up with my index finger

@Dergrosse13 said:

Absolutely. I also used to occasionally buy PSA graded Star Wars cards from 4 Sharp Corners. The prices were decent and they always had a pretty decent selection of graded cards from the five 1977 Topps series (blue, red, yellow, green and orange borders), some Wonder Bread cards, some Topps ESB cards from 1980. Now they have virtually nothing on their site. Instead they are running a huge auction on eBay that ends Sunday night. Should be interesting to see what kind of prices they get—far more than they were charging just a few months ago in all likelihood.

I bought a couple of the Wonder Bread and Burger King cards graded as a guide for my raw submissions from 4 Sharpe Corners. You are right in that they have not listed many Star Wars cards.

It looks like people are familiar with the 1977 Star Wars Wonder Bread Cards, but here is some info on the 1980 Star Wars Burger King set. These cards came in panels of three cards each for 12 different panels with a total of 36 cards. PSA has a great article HERE about these cards.

I don't have much to add, other than I could get sets of these panels for $15-20 each and now they go for around $30. They are plentiful, but the centering is pretty rough on most of the sets I get. Below is a 4 Sharp Corners purchase as a guide for my future submission for this set.

@ghooper33 are you doing a graded refractor set? PM me if you are looking for any cards. I have lots of these refractors.

• EstilEstil Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭✭

I wonder how many Catholics hear that phrase "May the Force by with you" and want to instinctively reply, "and also with you" :)

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars

These were up on eBay one day as a ‘limited release’ and I imagine there are tens of thousands out there but they really took forever to get here. Regardless, I went and got two and haven’t touched them until now.

With her recent firing, maybe this becomes Honus Wagner in 100 years? 😂😂😂

These ADPAC Star Wars are fun cards/stickers that were inserted into General Mills cereal boxes. The pics below are the Canadian versions. I wonder if PSA will ever have a Star Wars special - it is too expensive to send in these larger cards.

• For a while I was collecting various novelty glasses for 70's, 80's and 90's movies. I came across a glass on ebay like the one below except it was titled "Revenge of the Jedi" which was the original planned movie name. Rumor has it, only 6 survived because the production had not yet shipped before they changed the name of the film and ordered the batch destroyed. It was listed for $6k but I didn't pull the trigger. 5 years later, I wish I had!

• ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've just got unopened. Bought the '77 Series 1 pack from BBCE for $20 about 8 years ago. I've got a bunch of '81 grocery racks that I used to pick up on the cheap years ago. Those things have exploded.