Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What is your favorite unopened pack (that you own)?

124»

Comments

• Options
    tkerstingtkersting Posts: 136 ✭✭✭

I got a small package back from BBCE today. Here are some of my favorites.

Griffey Biggio rookies on top

Strawberry on top., Mattingly on back. This would have been such a hot back pack when I first started collecting. Nice to have it authenticated.

Ripken black box and Ryan on top. Not a high dollar item, but another high demand item back in the day.

1982 grocery rack with Ryan and Rose IA on top. Nice HOF pack.

Plus another 20ish more racks of 80’s goodness. Clemens rookies, Canseco rookies, Maddux rookies, Mattingly rookies, etc. Lots of memories from early in my collecting days.

• Options
    Pacman70Pacman70 Posts: 68 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Thanks for sharing and welcome to the group! I just mailed my first submission to BBCE about 2 weeks ago (75 baseball Tray). The 78 and 79 football trays are special to me as those were the only 2 years I collected football cards. Too bad they stopped making them in 1980.> @76collector said:

@UFFDAH said:

!!!!! So having Mantle on the front isn't enough Uffdah ? Got to mix in 2 more hall of famers !!! haha. What an awesome pack !

Words can't describe this pack!> @tkersting said:

Strawberry on top., Mattingly on back. This would have been such a hot back pack when I first started collecting. Nice to have it authenticated.

Ripken black box and Ryan on top. Not a high dollar item, but another high demand item back in the day.

Plus another 20ish more racks of 80’s goodness. Clemens rookies, Canseco rookies, Maddux rookies, Mattingly rookies, etc. Lots of memories from early in my collecting days.

Awesome lot! It's great these passed authentication as packs with 2 stars and or hall of Famers are usually altered.

• Options
    tkerstingtkersting Posts: 136 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the comments.

Certainly a pack is more rare and more likely to be altered if there are 2 key cards showing. You have to be more careful, know what to look for and know what panels certain cards should be in to make good purchases. While it’s a concern to have multiple key cards showing it just makes the authentic packs that much cooler.

Awesome lot! It's great these passed authentication as packs with 2 stars and or hall of Famers are usually altered.

• Options
    Bearkat21Bearkat21 Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

I don’t have much unopened but I’ve managed to keep these as is for a few months.

• Options

@tkersting said:

Love that Strawberry card! One of my favorites growing up a Mets fan.

• Options

@tkersting said:
    Thanks for the comments.

Certainly a pack is more rare and more likely to be altered if there are 2 key cards showing. You have to be more careful, know what to look for and know what panels certain cards should be in to make good purchases. While it’s a concern to have multiple key cards showing it just makes the authentic packs that much cooler.

Yes, definitely. Unfortunately, most collectors aren't aware of card sequencing and can be duped easily.

• Options

@Bearkat21 said:
    I don’t have much unopened but I’ve managed to keep these as is for a few months.

Awesome packs. One of the best non sports sets there is!

• Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

Anyone here track pack sales with stars/RCs on top? This thread has me in a buying mood but I have no pricing guidance.

• Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

@paulb71 said:

I’m sorry Paulb those might not be your favorite packs tomorrow.

Please everyone with prices rising so quickly these days do your homework and know exactly what you’re buying.

Good deals aren’t always good deals!

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

@thehallmark said:
    Anyone here track pack sales with stars/RCs on top? This thread has me in a buying mood but I have no pricing guidance.

I do keep this data in a personal Excel spreadsheet there’s really nowhere formalize that publishes this. But with prices increasing 50 to 100% every month all of the old spreadsheets are useless.

My advice to you: Buy at todays high prices because they will be tomorrow’s great deals.

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    paulb71paulb71 Posts: 291 ✭✭✭✭

@rtimmer said:

@paulb71 said:

Please everyone with prices rising so quickly these days do your homework and know exactly what you’re buying.

I usually just collect cello and wax trays and wax packs from the late 60's all of the 70's and early 80's if the prices go up that is great and if the prices go down that is better so I can stock up more on what I like. I am not collecting for profit but because I enjoy collecting :) I will say though I figured prices would go way down when the pandemic started back in March 2020, but just the opposite prices continue to skyrocket

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

@paulb71 said:

@rtimmer said:

@paulb71 said:

I usually just collect cello and wax trays and wax packs from the late 60's all of the 70's and early 80's if the prices go up that is great and if the prices go down that is better so I can stock up more on what I like. I am not collecting for profit but because I enjoy collecting :) I will say though I figured prices would go way down when the pandemic started back in March 2020, but just the opposite prices continue to skyrocket

No, you missed what rtimmer was trying to say about a couple of the cellos pictured.

Andy

• Options

@ahopkins said:

@paulb71 said:

@rtimmer said:

@paulb71 said:

No, you missed what rtimmer was trying to say about a couple of the cellos pictured.

I did miss what rtimmer was trying to say

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me, my favorite unopened pack is a 79 Football wax tray.
    Let’s just go with: “It’s kind of a crazy love story”

• Options
    JakeR2234JakeR2234 Posts: 236 ✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2021 6:52AM

@paulb71 said:

@ahopkins said:

@paulb71 said:

@rtimmer said:

@paulb71 said:

Might want to do some research on those and what cards should be where in a cello pack.

PC Walter Payton - Bear Down!

• Options
    edited January 27, 2021 8:10AM

@JakeR2234 said:

@paulb71 said:

@ahopkins said:

@paulb71 said:

@rtimmer said:

@paulb71 said:

Might want to do some research on those and what cards should be where in a cello pack.

Absolutely. It really pisses me off when I see packs like those cellos (in a raw state) on eBay and people bidding on them (from 1st hand experience I can safely say Ebay couldnt care less that this is happening). What is even worse is when I see AUTHENICATED altered packs like these! 99.5% of the hobby is going to say they are good packs, whether they are good or not, because they have been given the ok by PSA. Ebay and PSA have a responsibility to the hobby to crack down on things like this but I guess if the $ keeps rolling in, everyone is happy.

• Options
    edited January 27, 2021 8:04AM

@paulb71 said:

I have the same tray pack run myself and it's one of the favorite parts of my collection! Unfortunately, I hate to tell you this, as, believe me, I know how it feels, but the Brett and Murray packs are no good. Neither card can be on top of a cello pack, due to collation patterns. You would think that since they were slabbed by PSA they would be good but they make their mistakes too. I doubt they would do this, but I would contact them and demand they buy back these packs due to their error. In my opinion, they should buy back all of these authenticated altered packs.

• Options

@Pacman70 said:

@JakeR2234 said:

@paulb71 said:

@ahopkins said:

@paulb71 said:

@rtimmer said:

@paulb71 said:

Absolutely. It really pisses me off when I see packs like those cellos (in a raw state) on eBay and people bidding on them (from 1st hand experience I can safely say Ebay couldnt care less that this is happening). What is even worse is when I see AUTHENICATED altered packs like these! 99.5% of the hobby is going to say they are good packs, whether they are good or not. Ebay and PSA have a responsibility to the hobby to crack down on things like this but I guess if the $ keeps rolling in, everyone is happy.

@GroceryRackPack said:
    For me, my favorite unopened pack is a 79 Football wax tray.
    Let’s just go with: “It’s kind of a crazy love story”

Yeah, those 79s are really cool! 78 and 79 were the only years I collected football, so they are kind of special to me too.

• Options

@Pacman70 said:

@JakeR2234 said:

@paulb71 said:

@ahopkins said:

@paulb71 said:

@rtimmer said:

@paulb71 said:

Absolutely. It really pisses me off when I see packs like those cellos (in a raw state) on eBay and people bidding on them (from 1st hand experience I can safely say Ebay couldnt care less that this is happening). What is even worse is when I see AUTHENICATED altered packs like these! 99.5% of the hobby is going to say they are good packs, whether they are good or not. Ebay and PSA have a responsibility to the hobby to crack down on things like this but I guess if the $ keeps rolling in, everyone is happy.

you know it is what it is then on my cello packs, if I was collecting to make a profit I would be upset. On your mention of collation patterns on the Brett and Murray packs what is the theory on collation patterns in a wax or cello pack when for example the #2 card and the #8 card in the same pack is the identical card? I remember first hand in the late 70"s and early 80's opening packs fresh from Circle K or 7-11 and finding 2 cards of the same player in the pack? thanks Pacman

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2021 7:04AM

Most of my unopened stash is OPC & Leaf, but everyone here has probably seen items like those plenty of times. Thought I would grab a random sampling of some from my Euro stuff in case anyone was interested in seeing some items that are a bit more unusual:

1970-71 Swedish Mastar-Serien, one of them w/ Kharlamov on top :)

1971-72 Finnish Williams - Jaakiekko 71-72

1972-73 Finnish Williams - Jaakiekko 72/73

1972-73 Williams Forlags - Hockey 72-73 (labeled by PSA as "Swedish Hockey Stickers")

Here are some 1963-64 Editorial Ruiz Romero - Ases del Futbol

and some 1982 Danone - Futbol en Accion

1972 Cleveland Petrol - Golden Goals

1973 Panini OK VIP

Lastly, here are some 1936 Reemtsma Sammelwerk Nr. 14 - Olympia 1936 - Band II packs. The Gruppe 61 pack has 4 different Jesse Owens RC's. The Gruppe 60 pack has 1 Owens RC. There are a few other interesting ones in those packs too, including some that feature an evil guy with a notorious short mustache.

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first packs I ever opened as a 22 year old in college when I sat up in my room and opened them. 3 Lemieux rookies

to a box. The Gretzky and Lemieux come in the same pack. This box is very sentimental to me.

• Options

@paulb71 said:

@Pacman70 said:

@JakeR2234 said:

@paulb71 said:

@ahopkins said:

@paulb71 said:

@rtimmer said:

@paulb71 said:

you know it is what it is then on my cello packs, if I was collecting to make a profit I would be upset. On your mention of collation patterns on the Brett and Murray packs what is the theory on collation patterns in a wax or cello pack when for example the #2 card and the #8 card in the same pack is the identical card? I remember first hand in the late 70"s and early 80's opening packs fresh from Circle K or 7-11 and finding 2 cards of the same player in the pack? thanks Pacman

Thanks for the message. I remember myself seeing exact sequences of cards appearing in Topps wax packs when I started collecting myself in the late 70s. I think the 2 exact same cards in the same pack situation is just an anomaly that happens when 2 of the same sequences somehow appear in the same pack.

Sequencing is different from collation in that collation refers to which card sheets the cards come from, as opposed to the exact order the cards are in.

From 1971-1977, cards were printed on 3 sheets. The back of these cards had either 0, 1, or 2 asterisks. In 1977, for example, the top 7 cards of a cello had a 2 asterisk card on top, the gum, and the 11 cards on the bottom had either 0 or 1 asterisks. So, if there are cards with 0, 1, or 2 asterisks on both the top and bottom, the pack has been tampered with.

In 1978, Topps changed things around a bit. They started printing cards on 6 sheets, labeled A through F. So, in 78, cellos a D, E or F card was put on top and an A, B. or C card was on the bottom. As for rack packs, an A or B card was on top of the cell closest to the header card, a C or D card on top in the middle, and a E or F card on the end cell. There are exceptions in some years though.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pacman70 said:

@paulb71 said:

@Pacman70 said:

@JakeR2234 said:

@paulb71 said:

@ahopkins said:

@paulb71 said:

@rtimmer said:

@paulb71 said:

Thanks for the message. I remember myself seeing exact sequences of cards appearing in Topps wax packs when I started collecting myself in the late 70s. I think the 2 exact same cards in the same pack situation is just an anomaly that happens when 2 of the same sequences somehow appear in the same pack.

Sequencing is different from collation in that collation refers to which card sheets the cards come from, as opposed to the exact order the cards are in.

From 1971-1977, cards were printed on 3 sheets. The back of these cards had either 0, 1, or 2 asterisks. In 1977, for example, the top 7 cards of a cello had a 2 asterisk card on top, the gum, and the 11 cards on the bottom had either 0 or 1 asterisks. So, if there are cards with 0, 1, or 2 asterisks on both the top and bottom, the pack has been tampered with.

In 1978, Topps changed things around a bit. They started printing cards on 6 sheets, labeled A through F. So, in 78, cellos a D, E or F card was put on top and an A, B. or C card was on the bottom. As for rack packs, an A or B card was on top of the cell closest to the header card, a C or D card on top in the middle, and a E or F card on the end cell. There are exceptions in some years though.

A couple of clarifications. Collation of packs by sheets began in 1974 with All Series format. Prior to that, packs were collated by series and it was possible to see cards from same sheets on both front and back of a cello pack. I do recall a legit 73 cello with Milt Pappas on front and back.

Also, the no asterisk sheets were not introduced till 1976. In 1974 and 1975, there were only 1-asterisk and 2-asterisk sheets.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    BJY83BJY83 Posts: 245 ✭✭✭

With Lebron's chrome RC approach $40,000, these packs have been heating up big time.

Brian

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2021 1:32AM

my taste change constantly. so for "today's favorite pack" i'm feeling a little break from the norm.

love this piece for several reasons. first, it's a great convo piece. as things move from conventional retail packs to factory direct purchases this will be one of the pioneers. after all even "digital" packs are actually sold now. i don't get that, but can't knock it either. 2nd is it's a juan soto showing pack. it's not like there's a ton of conventional wax out there these days to even have a chance of finding a player-showing pack. every wrapper is basically foil these days. 3rd is again, juan soto showing. with what this kids done so far and at such an early age, he could be something very, very special. 4th this is the topps 3d series. special in that this was the first year that the on-demand line offered these. ipo's tend to be a good thing. 5th, considering it was an ipo and not really popular, only 269 of each card was ordered/produced. that only leaves 268 other cards out there. considering everyone was chasing acuna/ohtani cards and NOT soto at the time, probably makes this pack a 1/juan. 😉

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2021 5:57AM

Sorry this is a 3-way tie:

(1961 wax pack psa-9 Series unknown)

(1964 wax pack psa-8 Hank Aaron Series w/coin)

(1968 wax pack psa-8 Nolan Ryan RC Series)

mint_only_pls
  • Options

@miwlvrn said:
    Most of my unopened stash is OPC & Leaf, but everyone here has probably seen items like those plenty of times. Thought I would grab a random sampling of some from my Euro stuff in case anyone was interested in seeing some items that are a bit more unusual:

1970-71 Swedish Mastar-Serien, one of them w/ Kharlamov on top :)

1971-72 Finnish Williams - Jaakiekko 71-72

1972-73 Finnish Williams - Jaakiekko 72/73

1972-73 Williams Forlags - Hockey 72-73 (labeled by PSA as "Swedish Hockey Stickers")

Here are some 1963-64 Editorial Ruiz Romero - Ases del Futbol

and some 1982 Danone - Futbol en Accion

1972 Cleveland Petrol - Golden Goals

1973 Panini OK VIP

Lastly, here are some 1936 Reemtsma Sammelwerk Nr. 14 - Olympia 1936 - Band II packs. The Gruppe 61 pack has 4 different Jesse Owens RC's. The Gruppe 60 pack has 1 Owens RC. There are a few other interesting ones in those packs too, including some that feature an evil guy with a notorious short mustache.

Thanks for posting these! These are definitely items that most collectors in the US (including myself) have never seen before. Very unique.

• Options

@grote15 said:

@Pacman70 said:

@paulb71 said:

@Pacman70 said:

@JakeR2234 said:

@paulb71 said:

@ahopkins said:

@paulb71 said:

@rtimmer said:

@paulb71 said:

A couple of clarifications. Collation of packs by sheets began in 1974 with All Series format. Prior to that, packs were collated by series and it was possible to see cards from same sheets on both front and back of a cello pack. I do recall a legit 73 cello with Milt Pappas on front and back.

Also, the no asterisk sheets were not introduced till 1976. In 1974 and 1975, there were only 1-asterisk and 2-asterisk sheets.

Isn't it possible for multiple series to be in the same rack pack from 71-73? Can multiple series also be found in cello packs from this time period?

Also, from 1975-1977, is reverse collation possible on cello packs (one asterisk on top, two on the bottom)?

• Options

@Pacman70 said:

@JakeR2234 said:

@paulb71 said:

@ahopkins said:

@paulb71 said:

@rtimmer said:

@paulb71 said:

• Options

@Pacman70 said:

@JakeR2234 said:

@paulb71 said:

@ahopkins said:

@paulb71 said:

@rtimmer said:

@paulb71 said:

• Options

@Pacman70 said:

@JakeR2234 said:

@paulb71 said:

@ahopkins said:

@paulb71 said:

@rtimmer said:

@paulb71 said: