Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What is your favorite unopened pack (that you own)?

Pacman70Pacman70 Posts: 68 ✭✭✭
edited August 12, 2020 12:14AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Mine is probably my 1976 Topps Cello with Reggie Jackson on top. The green and yellow color scheme on both the card and his uniform is amazing. This is his last card from his first run with Oakland. If you were a kid growing up in New York in the late 70s, Reggie was THE card to have.

Comments

• Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2020 6:19PM

The obvious choice would be my 86/87 Fleer basketball packs, but I have a soft spot for these too...

• Options

Wow! Awesome pack! My only 73 Cello has Tom Seaver on the back.

• Options

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    The obvious choice would be my 86/87 Fleer basketball packs, but I have a soft spot for these too...

Cool. My 84 Topps Cello with Mattingly on top was one of my first purchases on eBay. I heard there is going to be an auction for an 86/87 Fleer case of 12 wax boxes in Aug. Looking forward to seeing how much that goes for.

• Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only one I have a picture of

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

I have an 82 wax that I believe has a Ripken. No empirical evidence backs up that claim, I just believe it.

I also have an 85 rack with Clemens showing. Not my favorite though as I hate Roger Clemens.

• Options

@Kid4hof03 said:

@grote15 said:
    Speaking of Reggie, one of my favorites with his buddy on top.

Tim, as a Yankees fan, that 73 Reggie/Munson is still one of the coolest packs I've ever seen.

I have a few favorites, if I'm only allowed one, it's my 1979 cello with Staubach on top

If I can indulge in a few others, there are two themes, either 1979 Topps football or Roger Staubach

79 was a great looking year for football. My only 79 football cello has the infamous O.J Simpson on top.

• Options

@rtimmer said:
    Favorite pack is hard but here’s a few I love!

Great collection! Love those old Basketball tall boys especially.

• Options

@GreenSneakers said:
    I have an 82 wax that I believe has a Ripken. No empirical evidence backs up that claim, I just believe it.

I also have an 85 rack with Clemens showing. Not my favorite though as I hate Roger Clemens.

Cool. I also have an 85 Topps rack with Clemens and I'm not crazy about him either!

• Options
    edited August 14, 2020 9:46AM

@clarke442 said:
    The only one I have a picture of

The last playing days cards of Bench & Yaz. Classic! That's what I liked about Fleer back then; they had cards of players the years they retired when Topps didnt.

• Options

@JakeR2234 said:
    Hard to pick one....

That Peyton pack must be worth a fortune.

• Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    Speaking of Reggie, one of my favorites with his buddy on top.

You know what would be awesome, Tim, is if there was a cello that had Rose showing on one side and Ray Fosse showing on the other. :D

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pacman70 said:

79 was a great looking year for football. My only 79 football cello has the infamous O.J Simpson on top.

79 football is my favorite card set of all time. I'd love to see the O.J. pack of you feel like sharing.

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options

@JakeR2234 said:
    Hard to pick one....

I was hoping we'd get to see some of yours!

• Options

• Options

@Kid4hof03 said:

@Pacman70 said:

79 football is my favorite card set of all time. I'd love to see

the O.J. pack of you feel like sharing.

Here you go....

• Options

@Pacman70 said:

@Kid4hof03 said:

@Pacman70 said:

79 football is my favorite card set of all time. I'd love to see

the O.J. pack of you feel like sharing.

Here you go....

That's a great pack!

• Options
    edited August 10, 2020 1:30PM

I love the 84 Donruss set myself. Unfortunately, 1984 was the only year I didnt collect cards since i began in 1978 . In 84, I was just entering high school and decided I was "too old" to be collecting cards. That only lasted a year and I haven't been too old since! The attached pic is my lone 84 Donruss rack..

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

• Options

Thanks. 71 is the most recent wax pack I dont have. They are crazy expensive. I'm still trying to find even a picture of a 71 tray pack. Not that I could ever afford a pack that could go for $10,000.00, but it would be nice just to see one.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBrules said:
    Some great packs being shown. I can only dream of landing some of the packs that have been posted. Payton rookie!!! Wowsers. 73 Rose and Jackson is pretty awesome. 74 rack with T. Perez showing is insane. Here is one of my favorites. Thanks to grote15. Thanks Tim I'm not sure if you remember selling me this one.

I do remember that pack and am happy to see you still have it, too! Enjoy!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@Pacman70 said:
    Thanks. 71 is the most recent wax pack I dont have. They are crazy expensive. I'm still trying to find even a picture of a 71 tray pack. Not that I could ever afford a pack that could go for $10,000.00, but it would be nice just to see one.

I bet it would go for at least double that should one even surface.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

@Pacman70 said:

I had a hard time finding an empty wrapper from '71 and then I paid way more than I thought it was worth. You can see in my profile pic what I do with them.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• Options

@abcoltsfan said:
    Here is mine. It is a POP 1 with Dawson and Brett!

The 77 set is my all-time favorite. Now we have a 77 cello with George Brett on the front AND back just on this thread!

• Options

@abcoltsfan said:

I remember that pack, too! :)

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

1959 Fleer Baseball 8 Card wax pack

I like it how they are rumored this could have been the first print run for fleer. Possible #68 SP may be inserted in this 8 card pack but not the 6 card packs. So rare nobody knows for sure if it is. But I think it's true. Makes sense because that is the only way topps could have known about the issue with the Bucky card unless Fleer gave them a sneak peak of the product. Which I doubt. Then threaten legally by topps, removed the #68 SP and changed them to 6 card packs.

• Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭

@Pacman70 said:

Beautiful packs ! Your hockey tray has me drooling.

Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options

@Pacman70 said:

Fritsch had them at $3500 last I looked.

Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
  • Options

Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
  • Options
    abcoltsfanabcoltsfan Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

@abcoltsfan said:

I remember that pack, too! :)

I thought you might!

Working on the following sets
    1980's and 1990's Topps Baseball BBCE FASC - Cello or Wax Boxes
    1952 Bowman US Presidents PSA 7 & up
    Pro Football Hall of Fame Indianapolis Colts PSA Registry Set
    June 9th Cubs full ticket or stubs - 1981 to 2020
    Andre Dawson Topps Basic registry PSA 10's
    Mark Grace Topps Basic registry PSA 10's

• Options

@magellan said:

@Pacman70 said:

Beautiful packs ! Your hockey tray has me drooling.

Thanks. I never even saw a picture of the hockey pack before I bought it 4 years ago.

• Options

@magellan said:

Great packs. As a Met fan, very jealous of that 77 rack.

• Options
    edited July 25, 2020 5:01PM

@magellan said:

@Pacman70 said:

Fritsch had them at $3500 last I looked.

I saw a cello on eBay for $3800 and a last series rack for $7500. They are really tough to find.

• Options

You have some great stuff there! I would find it very hard to choose a favorite one here too.

• Options

@krisd3279 said:

@grote15 said:

@Pacman70 said:

I had a hard time finding an empty wrapper from '71 and then I paid way more than I thought it was worth. You can see in my profile pic what I do with them.

Love what you have done with the wrappers. I can't believe that idea never occurred to me for my binders! Back in the early 90s, i found this company called "Ident-A-Pro" and got labels from them. When I was about

to run out of them several years later, I called their 800 # and found it was now a # for, let's just say, "ladies of the evening". So, I just kept the last sticker I had and have been making copies of it ever since.

• Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

Obviously not for monetary value

I had to grab this when I saw it

I like these oddballs

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black