Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What is your favorite unopened pack (that you own)?

Comments

• Options
    Pacman70Pacman70 Posts: 68 ✭✭✭

Cool. Thanks!

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

2011 Topps Update baseball jumbo pack, 36 cards pack.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

Received this 78 OPC Murray from the group break last year. PSA graded it a 7

• Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

I really like this one these days:

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

@jeffv96masters said:
    The box reminds me of a 1969 tray I saw a year ago

I used to own one of these 69 trays. Got it when Larry Solomon sold his collection in the early 2000s. Paid $2500--lol. Fast forward 5 years ago--another collector--who sends out way too many emails--you know who he is--contacted me. He already owned 3 trays and wanted the equivalent to a full box. Paid me $12K. He still owns all 4...wonder what they'd bring on the market today!

• Options
    agragr Posts: 56 ✭✭✭

• Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

@agr said:

awesome pack--was bidding on that too if that was the one auctioned off a while back

• Options
    erbaerba Posts: 285 ✭✭✭✭

@54topps said:
    Kurri on top Gretzky on the back.

Beautiful pack!

• Options
    agragr Posts: 56 ✭✭✭

• Options

@MacrosB said:

Love the 72 tray. Do you think you could post a picture of the back?> @MacrosB said:

Love that 72 tray. Do you think you could post a picture of the back of this pack? I want to compare it to the back panel of the 68 tray I have.

• Options
    edited September 17, 2020 4:30AM

@Pacman70 said:cdn.net/6027503/uploads/editor/3j/jatumoj416f6.jpg "")

Love that 72 tray. Do you think you could post a picture of the back of that pack? I want to compare it to the back panel of the 68 tray I have.

• Options
    tkerstingtkersting Posts: 136 ✭✭✭

Now we’re talking. 😁 Keep’em coming. Very nice packs.

• Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember buying these at the corner store for 25 or 35 cents, I can"t remember exactly.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pacman70 said:

@MacrosB said:

Love the 72 tray. Do you think you could post a picture of the back?> @MacrosB said:

Love that 72 tray. Do you think you could post a picture of the back of this pack? I want to compare it to the back panel of the 68 tray I have.

You can't see the back on that one. Back then, Steve would wrap trays on a piece of cardboard with a sticker outside the cellophane. I have a 1975 tray like that one.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:

@Pacman70 said:

@MacrosB said:

You can't see the back on that one. Back then, Steve would wrap trays on a piece of cardboard with a sticker outside the cellophane. I have a 1975 tray like that one.

Geez. That kind of blows. Wonder why he did that.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pacman70 said:

@grote15 said:

@Pacman70 said:

@MacrosB said:

Geez. That kind of blows. Wonder why he did that.

This was back before they used the plastic rack/tray holders.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@frankhardy said:
    I am almost embarrassed to post mine because some of these packs you guys have posted are ridiculous! However, I enjoy my pack collection and want to include mine here.

My favorite basketball pack is this 1988 Fleer with a Jordan sticker showing on the back. I am partial to this one because I opened a full box back in 1988 when they first came out as a 13 year old kid.

20200919-110007

As for baseball, I really can't say what is my favorite. So, I will just post a few of my best ones.

This first one is a 1985 Fleer Cello pack with Clemens on the front and Ozzie Smith on the back.

20200919-110103

20200919-110121

Here are a few Topps racks and cellos.

20200919-110301

20200919-110436

The reason I am posting my wax packs below is not because there is a single one that is all that special, but I think as a group it is really neat. Since my birth year was 1975, I have an unopened Topps wax pack (every series) from 1975 to present.

20200418-173326

20200418-173609

20200418-174649

20200418-175156

20200418-175406

20200418-175700

20200418-175846

Here is a picture I already had taken that shows my wax, cellos, jumbos, and racks all together.

20200418-173135

Nice! I would have done the same thing myself, but if i did, I would have to get a 71, which go for like 1k apiece. So, had to do 72 to the present.

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 20, 2020 12:32PM

@Pacman70 said:

Nice! I would have done the same thing myself, but if i did, I would have to get a 71, which go for like 1k apiece. So, had to do 72 to the present.

So.... You are saying you have all Topps wax packs from 1972 to present indluding all series and Traded/Updates?

Shane

• Options

I don't have any of the update packs. Technically, the 72 and 73 packs were issued in series, but, of course, we can't tell what series they are. I do have series 1 and 2 from 93 and on though.

• Options

It’s hard to narrow my pack collection down to my favorite, but here are a couple of gems!
    The 1991 OPC is just funky
    The Trout packs were given out at Angels games, I felt a few needed to be saved.

• Options
    edited September 22, 2020 10:09PM

That 91 OPC pack is very interesting. The only OPC pack I have is a 91 wax pack that looks very similar to its Topps counterpart.

I'm surprised this was graded as a wax pack. Do you know anything about it? Maybe it's Canadas equivalent to a grocery pack?

@tkersting said:
    Feels like time to give this thread a bump. I love seeing other people’s gems.

Took a pic of my graded cellos today. This is one I thought I’d share. Got this from Heritage several months ago.

Wow. That is one SERIOUS bump!

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lowes955 said:
    It’s hard to narrow my pack collection down to my favorite, but here are a couple of gems!
    The Trout packs were given out at Angels games, I felt a few needed to be saved.

I have a full box of 91 OPC in which the packs are similar to yours. I asked around, even consulted Reed who has seen it all, and couldn't get a definite answer. I was told they were probably repacks from a 3rd party. I will unearth mine tomorrow, the box is very flimsy so I may have to give it some TLC prior to posting.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got a lot of weird packs with stars showing but I think the sheer math of this one might make it number one. Quite possibly the only one in existence.

• Options

The "high number" thing is pretty bizarre. I don't know much about the Heritage sets, but I seriously doubt they were issued in different series.

• Options

@maddux69 said:

@lowes955 said:

I have a full box of 91 OPC in which the packs are similar to yours. I asked around, even consulted Reed who has seen it all, and couldn't get a definite answer. I was told they were probably repacks from a 3rd party. I will unearth mine tomorrow, the box is very flimsy so I may have to give it some TLC prior to posting.

Yeah, they are probably right. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the label on this pack looks like you can peel it off! That and the phrase "Investment quality" just doesn't seem like something a conventional card manufacturer would put on a pack. Still a sweet pack though!

• Options
    FINESTKINDFINESTKIND Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2020 3:13PM

Here's my favorite. I don't know how it got past Topps awesome quality control. ;)

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

This box is good, it’s the other 1991 OPC box that I have that’s in rough shape.

• Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2020 3:23PM

1985 baseball had five different wrapper variations (not considering ads/promos on back)... regular, regular without date, white with graphic (like yours), plain white and traded.

eta: 85 football also has a few variations.

• Options
    edited September 23, 2020 9:20PM

@FINESTKIND said:
    Here's my favorite. I don't know how it got past Topps awesome quality control. ;)

Love packs like this. Never seen this variation. I wonder if I put my red one out in the South Florida sun for about a week if it would look like this!

• Options
    edited November 6, 2020 10:42AM

@maddux69 said:
    This box is good, it’s the other 1991 OPC box that I have that’s in rough shape.

Very cool. That was the last year Topps included gum in their packs, but I doubt any were in these.

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭

@Pacman70 said:

@maddux69 said:

Very cool. The phrase "cards only" under the Topps logo is also pretty intriguing. Maybe they were giving warning as to the fact that there was no gum inside. That was the last year Topps included gum in their packs.

I think they were a company owned by a dealer that opened tons of product looking for chipper Jones and repacked the rest of the cards like this to sell as a new product. He got free chipper cards by doing this.

• Options
    RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GroceryRackPack said:
    Hi,
    This is my very first ever post and very honored to be member here; Yes it is a thrill.
    I really like this topic and I would like to share my current favorite unopened pack:
    1979 Topps Football Grocery Wax Tray.

Beautiful! And welcome!!

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭✭✭

@belz said:
    This is always a hard question to answer but for this moment in time I’m loving this recent graded pack

Hi,
    I really like that 76 Cello Munson; That's beyond cool.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ahopkins said:
    Speaking of duos, here's my trio of Ryan Leaders.

With the other cards behind it possibly creating an illusion, it sure looks like that Trammell on top is nicely centered! Great racks!

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

@countdouglas said:

@ahopkins said:
    Speaking of duos, here's my trio of Ryan Leaders.

With the other cards behind it possibly creating an illusion, it sure looks like that Trammell on top is nicely centered! Great racks!

Great eye. It's actually not an illusion. The Trammell is very very well centered.

Andy

• Options
    76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UFFDAH said:

!!!!! So having Mantle on the front isn't enough Uffdah ? Got to mix in 2 more hall of famers !!! haha. What an awesome pack !

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

unopened pack for now....easily replaceable at least.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2020 11:09PM