Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thinking of making a poster of a coin.....which true view image looks best?

drddmdrddm Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

Which True View image looks best?

Thanks,
Dave

Comments

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

For a poster, you will need a very large file size which I doubt you will get from PCGS.

For one special coin, hire a coin photographer (not me).

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    For a poster, you will need a very large file size which I doubt you will get from PCGS.

How large are we talking about?

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Number 2

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options

@drddm said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

How large are we talking about?

depends on the size of the poster.

300 ppi at full size is the resolution you will need for a great reproduction.

• Options
    baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭✭

I like #2

Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...
  • Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 883 ✭✭✭✭✭

are those all from the same submission like are you able to request multiple shots of the same coin and they have on file? I think I remember reading that somewhere.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would make it of the obverse of 1

• Options

@PhilLynott said:

are those all from the same submission like are you able to request multiple shots of the same coin and they have on file? I think I remember reading that somewhere.

No, I have submitted the coin several times for regarding and with each time it goes in, a true view was taken. I saved the different ones over the years.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

The middle shows good details and shadowing without too much light.

thefinn
  • Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    RedStormRedStorm Posts: 221 ✭✭✭

The middle one pops

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you want to use the picture which most closely resembles the coin or the best looking one? If the former, you or whoever has the coin is in by far, the best position to answer.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not knowing the coin, and thinking about my wall, the middle one is the way to go.

• Options

@MFeld said:
    Do you want to use the picture which most closely resembles the coin or the best looking one? If the former, you or whoever has the coin is in by far, the best position to answer.

I own the coin Mark, and I am looking for the best looking picture.

• Options
    truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

• Options

@drddm said:

@MFeld said:

I own the coin Mark, and I am looking for the best looking picture.

I see that #2 is extremely popular. But I feel that the lighting makes it look as if part of the obverse portrait might have been cleaned. I prefer #1 and then #3 over #2.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

The middle has the richest color and all else equal, I think will be the most impressive printed. Only you can say if one of the other photos is a more accurate representation of the coin, in which case the richer colors may not be a benefit for accuracy (if that matters). If you just want a print of a nice coin, go with #2. That said, the obverse looks like it needs a slight rotation from its orientation in #2, and that's driving me mad.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the first reverse and the second obverse.
    jmo
    boston

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

If you have the TrueView, use the "Max" in the file name at the end, rather than what is already there. The "Max" photo is gigantic, and extremely sharp. With that, your poster would be something to admire.

• Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kind of an unrelated question ... in terms of orienting the obverse, should the date be centered at the exact bottom? Or skewed off to the right like it is.

• Options
    shortnockshortnock Posts: 383 ✭✭✭

For reproduction purposes, it is best to select the photo that preserves the highlight detail.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like #2 if using a white background as shown.

I might switch to #3 if using a dark background.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

The second one has the most contrast and best design detail and would be the most eye-catching as a poster. The color balance on the first is more appealing, though, having less of a green cast to it.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like number 3.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dos

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2021 3:34PM

2, by a wide margin

image Respectfully, Mark
  • Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I look at 2 it looks Obviously played with to me.

BHNC #248 … 121 and counting.

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also... awesome reverse detail for an e/a. Congrats.

BHNC #248 … 121 and counting.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭✭✭

None for me. There is no Blast White option.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

When pointing out all of the interesting attributes of this coin, I like #2 for its contrast on a light background. I had @blu62vettee do a picture file for a very large print for my A&R half that looks great showing all the Longacre doubling and color.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options

@divecchia said:

Donato

Then why bother to respond?

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@divecchia said:

Donato

Then why bother to respond?

I felt left out with only tarnished options or maybe I thought I'd get an LOL.

Sorry! Carry on.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

BTW, I think a gray background would be ideal so it would blend more on a wall. You could try out different shades of gray to identify the right tone.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Somewhat against the grain, I like 1 ... although 2 is a close 2nd.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

The first one looks best to me. The other pics look a bit over the top.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WingedLiberty1957 said:
    Kind of an unrelated question ... in terms of orienting the obverse, should the date be centered at the exact bottom? Or skewed off to the right like it is.

Great question.

Many of us who focus on this series do not use a centered-date for orientation. To do so would position Liberty and her gaze in many crazy directions. Remember, only the central devices were hubbed. Everything else was punched into dies by hand.

Instead, the generally preferred orientation is about the bust, with Liberty gazing at about the 10 o'clock position. Such consistency makes for more pleasant viewing when scrolling through images or seeing a collection of photos.
    Lance.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

@drddm
    Whatever you do, please share the results with us. I have thought of making some smaller wall hangings (not poster size) of a couple of special pieces. Think 11x14 size.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2021 6:00PM

@cardinal said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

If you have the TrueView, use the "Max" in the file name at the end, rather than what is already there. The "Max" photo is gigantic, and extremely sharp. With that, your poster would be something to admire.

Agree. The max size is 18MP or 18 megapixels at 6000 x 3000. That should be large enough.

• Options

@drddm said:
    Which True View image looks best?

Thanks,
    Dave

I like photo 2 the best because the swirls in the field are accentuated the most. It makes the coin mesmerizing.

• Options
    edited January 8, 2021 6:15PM

@Zoins said:

@cardinal said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Agree. The max size is 18MP or 18 megapixels at 6000 x 3000. That should be large enough.

Depends on the size.

A poster is usually considered fairly large as opposed to a print.

A very small poster (IMO) measuring 16 x20 inches at 300 ppi is over 80MP.

My Canon camera kicks out a file of 144MP per each side of the coin so that would be a great camera for a poster.

That is why I first mentioned hiring a pro.

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@Zoins said:

@cardinal said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Depends on the size.

A poster is usually considered fairly large as opposed to a print.

A very small poster (IMO) measuring 16 x20 inches at 300 ppi is over 80MP.

My Canon camera kicks out a file of 144MP per each side of the coin so that would be a great camera for a poster.

That is why I first mentioned hiring a pro.

Good point. Might be good to check with Phil @PCGSPhoto to see if they have larger sizes not available on the website.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin said:

@WingedLiberty1957 said:

Great question.

Many of us who focus on this series do not use a centered-date for orientation. To do so would position Liberty and her gaze in many crazy directions. Remember, only the central devices were hubbed. Everything else was punched into dies by hand.

Instead, the generally preferred orientation is about the bust, with Liberty gazing at about the 10 o'clock position. Such consistency makes for more pleasant viewing when scrolling through images or seeing a collection of photos.
    Lance.

I think that's more or less what I do. I've settled on lining up the tip of the top serif in the B with the left edge of the earlobe. I have several shots where I lined up the bottom serif that way, but Liberty looks a little to reclined.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file