Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thinking of making a poster of a coin.....which true view image looks best?

2»

Comments

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:

@lkeigwin said:

@WingedLiberty1957 said:
    Kind of an unrelated question ... in terms of orienting the obverse, should the date be centered at the exact bottom? Or skewed off to the right like it is.

Great question.

Many of us who focus on this series do not use a centered-date for orientation. To do so would position Liberty and her gaze in many crazy directions. Remember, only the central devices were hubbed. Everything else was punched into dies by hand.

Instead, the generally preferred orientation is about the bust, with Liberty gazing at about the 10 o'clock position. Such consistency makes for more pleasant viewing when scrolling through images or seeing a collection of photos.
    Lance.

I think that's more or less what I do. I've settled on lining up the tip of the top serif in the B with the left edge of the earlobe. I have several shots where I lined up the bottom serif that way, but Liberty looks a little to reclined.

We're on a tangent here. But I admire @messydesk's work so I thought I'd share this.

This orientation was suggested by some notable photographers and authors. Line up the turban crease and the clasp, vertically.

I think it's perfect.
    Lance.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you adjust contrast, highlights, and work on the image yourself until you see what you prefer?

• Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like #3. It provides good detail on the die clashes; shows some color and brightness. All 3 pictures are very nice - I wonder which look is closest to in hand.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file