Home Sports Talk

Doug Pederson under fire

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 4, 2021 4:16AM in Sports Talk

There is a huge uproar over Doug Pederson's decision in last night's Eagles vs Washington game. He pulled Jalen Hurts from the game and put in Nate Sudfield. NBC's Cris Collinsworth said during the broadcast, "I couldn't have done what Philadelphia did." The decision has been called a "disgrace" and "sickening." Doug Pederson said after the game, "I was coaching to win". Was this the right decision?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/nfl/news/eagles-quarterbacks-washington-disgrace/35wntup2b2511uo7cplrowpq5

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

He threw the game. Simple as that

If I’m the Eagles owner I’m firing Pederson this AM

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's ridiculous to pull him like that and put in Sudfield. A lot of good it did, Sudfield looked like garbage.

@doubledragon said:
    It's ridiculous to pull him like that and put in Sudfield. A lot of good it did, Sudfield looked like garbage.

I mean it couldn’t have been any more blatant that he was tanking. Was it to keep the Giants out of the playoffs or what?

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

I mean it couldn’t have been any more blatant that he was tanking. Was it to keep the Giants out of the playoffs or what?

Either that or just total incompetence. He is no longer fit to be head coach. Can him!

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

We watched 155 games until Sunday night and this game was guaranteed to have playoff implications. Someone forgot to tell Philadelphia that the whole sports world was watching. Ending the season with that performance leaves a bad taste in NFC East fans. But don’t feel bad for the Giants they should have won more games.
    On a side note I watched a bunch of games Sunday and after watching Buffalo all year it’s down right painful to watch bad teams. Trust me that includes some playoff teams. Colts, Steelers, Seahawks, Browns, Rams. Ugh. They struggled for every foot. Painful.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been trying to tell ya for the past few seasons, Doug Pederson at times has acted funny in the head.

That being said, Jalen Hurts seems to be degrading in each game he plays, Wentz wants to be traded, and the Eagles were out of playoff contention. The game was meaningless to the Eagles.

So in that context, the decision to put Sudfeld in there to see what he could do, was a bit understandable. The Eagles have a lot of possible QB decisions to make in the off season.

Frankly, i don't give a chit if the Giants or Washington would have won the NFC East. Bottom line on this particular situation, I don't begrudge Pederson for doing what he did.

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    I've been trying to tell ya for the past few seasons, Doug Pederson at times has acted funny in the head.

That being said, Jalen Hurts seems to be degrading in each game he plays, Wentz wants to be traded, and the Eagles were out of playoff contention. The game was meaningless to the Eagles.

So in that context, the decision to put Sudfeld in there to see what he could do, was a bit understandable. The Eagles have a lot of possible QB decisions to make in the off season.

Frankly, i don't give a chit if the Giants or Washington would have won the NFC East. Bottom line on this particular situation, I don't begrudge Pederson for doing what he did.

I agree, points well made.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 4, 2021 9:21AM

Peterson should have done what he could to win the game in the interest of keeping sports honest. Sticking in the third string quarterback while the game was still in contention was bogus.

Peterson and Wentz need to go, but neither will leave. Wentz makes too much money and can’t play. Peterson won a Super Bowl, and like Eddie Sawyer, who managed the Phillies to a pennant in 1950, is now entitled to stay for many years in remembrance of that achievement.

We are back the days of Joe Kuheric. He made the Eagles look decent for a little while and got a long term contract in the late 1960s. Then he took Eagles to the pits and was later bought out.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

The NFC East was just hard to watch this year. I've never seen anything like it.

The NFL making us watch the NFC East this season....

@doubledragon said:
    The NFC East was just hard to watch this year. I've never seen anything like it.

I'm not sure why, but for some reason that GIF reminded me of Beethoven's 9th.

@BillJones said:
    Peterson should have done what he could to win the game in the interest of keeping sports honest. Sticking in the third string quarterback while the game was still in contention was bogus.

Peterson and Wentz need to go, but neither will leave. Wentz makes too much money and can’t play. Peterson won a Super Bowl, and like Eddie Sawyer, who managed the Phillies to a pennant in 1950, is now entitled to stay for many years in remembrance of that achievement.

We are back the days of Joe Kuheric. He made the Eagles look decent for a little while and got a long term contract in the late 1960s. Then he took Eagles to the pits and was later bought out.

Well you've read the same media stuff I've read, so no sense regurgitating it. They say that a number of teams would be interested in Carson Wentz. However I find that a bit hard to believe considering his high salary, meager performance this season, and multiple injury past.

Sure seems to me that after a couple games, the NFL has already figured out the tendencies of Jalen Hurts, and Hurts hasn't responded well against against it. I mean he was a dismal 7 for 20 with one interception when he was taken out of the game. The good news is he's still very young, and hopefully can be coached up.

It will be an interesting QB situation for the Eagles in the off season...but not in a good way. The choices may only be the lesser of the evils. There's still hope, but it has the unfortunate chance to degrade into hopelessness next season.

After all is said and done, the Eagles may be forced to stay with Wentz and see what happens.

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

I'm a rock fan, the> @stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

Yes, I remember Beethoven. He was quite the ladies man!

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@doubledragon said:

And he had a few hit records if I'm remembering correctly. :)

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

By losing, he moved Philly to the 6th overall pick in next year's draft. Had they won, they'd have drafted 9th, so maybe he's smarter than we think.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

didn't philly pick up 3 spots in the draft? , there were smoother ways to go about it but it might help get them a QB

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pederson said early in the week he was going to play Sudfield.

The Giants have zero right to be upset. You forfeit that right when you finish 6-10.

Still if it were me I would have stuck with Hurts

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
    edited January 4, 2021 12:55PM

Well, I have to say, it has certainly been a fun NFL season this year on the forum. I haven't laughed this hard since my Panthers removed the statue of disgraced Jerry Richardson from our stadium. There he goes, everyone waive bye bye to Jerry.

I’m glad the Giants media is crying though. When you start off what? 1-7 then get your dreams shattered because a rival coach wants to be an idiot in game then you really got nobody to blame but yourself.

@bronco2078 said:
    didn't philly pick up 3 spots in the draft? , there were smoother ways to go about it but it might help get them a QB

Zero chance the Eagles take a QB with their first pick.

They are more than likely to stay with what they have at QB and keep their fingers crossed.

A few decent, potential star, WR's should be available at six and that's who the Eagles will likely choose.

@stevek said:

@bronco2078 said:

They are more than likely to stay with what they have at QB and keep their fingers crossed.

A few decent, potential star, WR's should be available at six and that's who the Eagles will likely choose.

They have had problems drafting WR's with high draft picks but I'm willing to help. Devonta Smith. Feel free to forward to the Eagles brass

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

Carson Wentz should pony up $20M out of his pocket as part of the trade deal to get out of Philadelphia. That sure would make him more marketable. In fact, the only way he’s marketable.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

If Wentz really thinks he has future in the NFL, he should be willing to give up something, just as you say. He's worn out his welcome in Philadelphia. The Philly fans have a reputation of being mean, and they are not going to take kindly to him next season if he picks up where he left off this season.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
    edited January 4, 2021 3:11PM

@Justacommeman said:
    Pederson said early in the week he was going to play Sudfield.

The Giants have zero right to be upset. You forfeit that right when you finish 6-10.

Still if it were me I would have stuck with Hurts

m

There should be a special run for division winners with less than .500 records. They should be forced to play their play-off games on the road if the wild card team has a better record. Tampa went 11-5 this season, which is a lot better then 7-9 which the "champion" Washington No Names compiled.

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

What makes you think the owner wasn't behind the decision to tank and move up 3 spots in the draft?

This has been a slugfest on social media today. Twitter is divided into two camps, and they've been going at eachother all day long!

@Tabe said:

@perkdog said:

What makes you think the owner wasn't behind the decision to tank and move up 3 spots in the draft?

Ok if he was “Following orders” then fine, obviously I have no idea one way or another so I’m going with what’s right in front of me in black & white. Pederson tanked the game. If it’s on the owner then fine, but until we can confirm that I’m going to be your basic NFL Monday morning fan and say he should be fired 🤷‍♂️

edited January 4, 2021 4:54PM

@doubledragon said:
    This has been a slugfest on social media today. Twitter is divided into two camps, and they've been going at eachother all day long!

That type of situation could very well escalate here as well and turn this thread into a battleground 😂😂😂

@Tabe said:

@perkdog said:

And what makes you think the owner was behind it?

Well, I think Cris Collinsworth said it pretty good. He said, "I couldn't have done it, you got men out there fighting their guts out to win, and I just couldn't have done what Philadelphia did."

@perkdog said:

@Tabe said:

@perkdog said:

The fact Pederson hasn't been fired yet ;)

If I were the owner, since I wouldn't have ordered my guy to tank the game, he would have been fired before he got back to the locker room.

@Tabe said:

@perkdog said:

@Tabe said:

@perkdog said:

The fact Pederson hasn't been fired yet ;)

If I were the owner, since I wouldn't have ordered my guy to tank the game, he would have been fired before he got back to the locker room.

I hit “Like” 👍👍

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 4, 2021 5:35PM

what's truly comical is all of these apoplectic ex-Giants coming out of the woodwork to defend their dumpster fire of a team like it's a screw job of a lifetime. we suck so epically bad that we couldn't even backdoor a postseason appearance by playing .438 ball, so we're gonna blame a team that couldn't even win when they tried for not trying on our sorry behalf and missing out on a golden opportunity for Tom Brady to hang 375 & 4 on us next weekend

please just stfu

Anyone who believes that Doug Pederson tanked an NFL game and risked ruining his football career to move up a few spots in the draft, may have been drinking unfiltered water out of the Hudson River for far too long.

Hurts wasn't playing all that well, so the coach simply wanted to give the third string QB some snaps, and see what happens, thinking maybe that QB could spark the team.

This is all much ado about nothing.

Case closed.

@galaxy27 said:
    what's truly comical is all of these apoplectic ex-Giants coming out of the woodwork to defend their dumpster fire of a team like it's a screw job of a lifetime. we suck so epically bad that we couldn't even backdoor a postseason appearance by playing .438 ball, so we're gonna blame a team that couldn't even win when they tried for not trying on our sorry behalf and missing out on a golden opportunity for Tom Brady to hang 375 & 4 on us next weekend

please just stfu

Giants fans have been all over this today. They're all over this like stink on a gorilla!

@galaxy27 said:

please just stfu

This should unanimously receive the Post of the Day award. :D

Where's DD with a funny GIF about "tanks" when you need him? ;)

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@galaxy27 said:

please just stfu

@stevek said:

@galaxy27 said:

please just stfu

Post of the day with incorrect math?

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

@Darin said:

@stevek said:

@galaxy27 said:

please just stfu

@stevek said:

@galaxy27 said:

please just stfu

Post of the Day awards are for grammatical reasons, not mathematical reasons. ;)

Sunday if the Chiefs had to beat the Chargers in order for the Raiders to make the playoffs, that would have been epic! >:)
    But of course the Raiders aren't ever good enough to be involved in any kind of playoff scenario.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

@stevek said:

@Darin said:

@stevek said:

@galaxy27 said:

please just stfu

@stevek said:

@galaxy27 said:

please just stfu

Post of the Day awards are for grammatical reasons, not mathematical reasons. ;)

I would have given it to him just for the use of the word 'apoplectic' whatever it means.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21

It would have been better if Dallas had beaten the Giants and this happened to them. Holy guacamole. The National Guard would have had to be called in and Skip Bayless's head would have landed in Oklahoma. Texas wound have declared war on Pennsylvania.

m

@stevek said:
    Where's DD with a funny GIF about "tanks" when you need him? ;)

Doug Pederson, rolling over the Giants season....

@Darin said:

@stevek said:

@galaxy27 said:

please just stfu

@stevek said:

@galaxy27 said:

please just stfu

7 divided by 16 is 44 percent rounded up

do we need to see if there is room in the University of Cincinnati head coach's remedial math class for you?

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

@bronco2078 said:

They have had problems drafting WR's with high draft picks but I'm willing to help. Devonta Smith. Feel free to forward to the Eagles brass

m

You're right. But many teams have problems with WR draft picks.

It's a very hard position to evaluate in the draft. A WR can be a stud in college, just overmatching the opposition backfields, and having an easy time of it. Then suddenly he gets introduced to the NFL with their "killer" safeties and corners, along with linebackers willing to take his head off on every play...and suddenly the WR gets alligator arms, especially after signing a big contract.

Frankly, i'm not all that excited about the Eagles perhaps being in a position that they may use a high draft pick on a WR. They're going to need to get lucky if they do that.

@galaxy27 said:

@Darin said:

@stevek said:

@galaxy27 said:

please just stfu

@stevek said:

@galaxy27 said:

please just stfu

do we need to see if there is room in the University of Cincinnati head coach's remedial math class for you?

Okay technically the math wasn't incorrect, just your information.
    6 wins(the Giants total) divided by 16 is .375 so they're actually worse than you give them credit for being. :D

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21

@stevek said:
    Anyone who believes that Doug Pederson tanked an NFL game and risked ruining his football career to move up a few spots in the draft, may have been drinking unfiltered water out of the Hudson River for far too long.

Hurts wasn't playing all that well, so the coach simply wanted to give the third string QB some snaps, and see what happens, thinking maybe that QB could spark the team.

This is all much ado about nothing.

Case closed.

This would make more sense if they'd kicked the tying FG when they had the chance.

@Darin said:

@galaxy27 said:

@Darin said:

@stevek said:

@galaxy27 said:

please just stfu

@stevek said:

@galaxy27 said:

please just stfu

Okay technically the math wasn't incorrect, just your information.
    6 wins(the Giants total) divided by 16 is .375 so they're actually worse than you give them credit for being. :D

i know what their record is. it was the way you interpreted what i said, which was conveyed via my phone while driving. incorrect math, no. ambiguity derived from 55 mph sentence structure, yes.

now that i'm stationary i'll be more succinct: if you can't get to 7 wins, no one even remotely associated with the organization -- and that includes fans -- should be bellyaching about what the Eagles did or did not do. you had ample opportunities all season long not to suck, yet you ultimately sucked just well enough to miss the playoffs as a sub-.500 team.............a team that has no business making the playoffs in the first place, mind you.

never time i'll pull over to the side of the road...

• JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭

There seems to be one small thing that people overlook here. The Eagles were bad enough this season to only win 4 games, despite being in most of them until late in the game. Hurts was running for his life all night, missed several open receivers, especially on the 4th down play, and this team has make mistakes that killed them all year long. What we saw last night was what Eagles fans have been watching all year. What makes them think the ending would be any different. And as a fitting ending, they jump offsides on a 4th a 1 with about 2 minutes left when WFT was trying to draw them off. ssdd.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@doubledragon said:

A few years ago my daughter just loved watching any movie that had dogs in it. We watched all of the Beethoven movies countless times. There are more than two if you can believe that. And all of the Air Bud movies multiple times. I couldn't believe how many combinations of Air Buds and Air Puppies doing this, that, and everything they made. They play this. They play that. They're saving the day. They're in space etc. And then there is just an endless supply of straight to DVD dog movies.

Good times!