Home Sports Talk

Doug Pederson under fire

Comments

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

@stevek said:
    Anyone who believes that Doug Pederson tanked an NFL game and risked ruining his football career to move up a few spots in the draft, may have been drinking unfiltered water out of the Hudson River for far too long.

Hurts wasn't playing all that well, so the coach simply wanted to give the third string QB some snaps, and see what happens, thinking maybe that QB could spark the team.

This is all much ado about nothing.

Case closed.

This would make more sense if they'd kicked the tying FG when they had the chance.

Kick a tying field goal and then increase the possibility of going into overtime? The last thing Doug Pederson wished for is overtime in a meaningless game at the end of the season.

The coach just wanted to see what the rookie QB could do in that situation under pressure. While at the same time trying to win the game. That's all it was.

This game to Doug Pederson was little more than a pre-season game. It wasn't tanking the game, it was playing the game and evaluating things for next season at the same time.

Doug Pederson was out there representing the best interests of the Eagles, not the New York Giants.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    what's truly comical is all of these apoplectic ex-Giants coming out of the woodwork to defend their dumpster fire of a team like it's a screw job of a lifetime. we suck so epically bad that we couldn't even backdoor a postseason appearance by playing .438 ball, so we're gonna blame a team that couldn't even win when they tried for not trying on our sorry behalf and missing out on a golden opportunity for Tom Brady to hang 375 & 4 on us next weekend

please just stfu

This is potentially in the top 5 of best posts I’ve ever read here. 😂😂😂

edited January 5, 2021 3:25AM

@Tabe said:

@stevek said:
    Anyone who believes that Doug Pederson tanked an NFL game and risked ruining his football career to move up a few spots in the draft, may have been drinking unfiltered water out of the Hudson River for far too long.

Hurts wasn't playing all that well, so the coach simply wanted to give the third string QB some snaps, and see what happens, thinking maybe that QB could spark the team.

This is all much ado about nothing.

Case closed.

This would make more sense if they'd kicked the tying FG when they had the chance.

Exactly. My friend @stevek can post any dissertation he likes to defend the Eagles but the hard facts is the culture needs to be a winning one and by not attempting to tie a close game and then pulling Hurts set a bad example for the younger players on that team. Case closed even though it’s apparently debatable but only for the sake of CU sports talk

@Justacommeman said:
    It would have been better if Dallas had beaten the Giants and this happened to them. Holy guacamole. The National Guard would have had to be called in and Skip Bayless's head would have landed in Oklahoma. Texas wound have declared war on Pennsylvania.

m

It’s so disappointing that Dallas actually lost because you are correct

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damn. We’ve got 100’s of posts about a 4 win team? If I would’ve known that a 4 win team would be so popular I would’ve called McDermitt and told him to tank the season. We should be talking about the 13 win team that won their last two games 38-9 and 56-26, the next Super Bowl champions, the Buffalo Bills. Philadelphia deserves to be shelved until September.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:
    The NFC East was just hard to watch this year. I've never seen anything like it.

The NFL making us watch the NFC East this season....

I'm not sure why, but for some reason that GIF reminded me of Beethoven's 9th.

I'm a rock fan, the> @stevek said:

@doubledragon said:
    The NFC East was just hard to watch this year. I've never seen anything like it.

The NFL making us watch the NFC East this season....

I'm not sure why, but for some reason that GIF reminded me of Beethoven's 9th.

Yes, I remember Beethoven. He was quite the ladies man!

A few years ago my daughter just loved watching any movie that had dogs in it. We watched all of the Beethoven movies countless times. There are more than two if you can believe that. And all of the Air Bud movies multiple times. I couldn't believe how many combinations of Air Buds and Air Puppies doing this, that, and everything they made. They play this. They play that. They're saving the day. They're in space etc. And then there is just an endless supply of straight to DVD dog movies.

Good times!

Yes, I also went through a phase of watching dog films back in the early 90s. I was in middle school and I can recall watching Beethoven, Turner and Hooch, and Homeward Bound. That movie Homeward Bound made me emotional, but I don't like to talk about it!

edited January 5, 2021 10:42AM

It should also be noted that in real life, Lassie was arrogant and snobbish. The fame went to Lassie's head, and Lassie's relationship with little Timmy also went sour. Years later, Lassie went broke, and moved to the woods, a shell of her former self. She was unrecognizable.

Lassie during her TV days at the height of her fame....

Lassie after her downfall....

edited January 5, 2021 4:22AM

@2dueces said:
    Damn. We’ve got 100’s of posts about a 4 win team? If I would’ve known that a 4 win team would be so popular I would’ve called McDermitt and told him to tank the season. We should be talking about the 13 win team that won their last two games 38-9 and 56-26, the next Super Bowl champions, the Buffalo Bills. Philadelphia deserves to be shelved until September.

If Brady doesn’t win another one then Circle the wagons! I will be a temporary Bills fan for the playoffs 👍👍

Colin Cowherd on the situation.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gfx18iDJRyU

In every team sport going back to the Roman gladiators, perhaps even the caveman era, when a team is out of contention for the post season playoffs, they have sometimes, if not often, if not always played second and third string players in order to evaluate them in live season play.

While at the same time trying to win the game, but realizing that by playing these second and third string players, the chances were greater of losing the game.

The bottom line is that the evaluation was more important to the future of the team than the outcome of a meaningless game.

Case closed and permanently sealed.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Much ado about nothing.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 5, 2021 9:33AM

@galaxy27 said:

i know what their record is. it was the way you interpreted what i said, which was conveyed via my phone while driving. incorrect math, no. ambiguity derived from 55 mph sentence structure, yes.

Dude... get there safely first. Those cell phone induced car crashes are the real deal.

Plus, you might get me fired if people start dying while posting on the forum I moderate. ;-)

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
    edited January 5, 2021 9:33AM

@AFLfan said:

@galaxy27 said:

i know what their record is. it was the way you interpreted what i said, which was conveyed via my phone while driving. incorrect math, no. ambiguity derived from 55 mph sentence structure, yes.

Dude... get there safely first. Those cell phone induced car crashes are the real deal.

Plus, you might get me fired if people start dying while posting on the forum I moderate. ;-)

That is excellent advice.

Besides, if AFLfan was fired because people started dying while posting on Sports Talk, the replacement moderator might be from New York and allow only New York related sports topics...the horror. 😱

;)

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

did I say 55? I totally meant the square root of 55.

let's see, who can I blame this latest arithmetic gaffe on besides myself

how about Doug Pederson?

If I were a player on that Eagles team, playing my guts out for 3 quarters and Doug Pederson pulled a stunt like that, I would be upset too.

And Jason Kelce said back in December, "I don't care who you're trying to evaluate, I don't care if you've lost every game, you're 0-15 and it's the last one you got. Every thing is about winning.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/jason-kelce-explains-why-tanking-not-option-eagles

🤔

• GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    Much ado about nothing.

Agreed. I somewhat understand the hostility, but does it really matter who won that division ?

That division was horrible all year. They should be grateful that anyone is paying any attention whatsoever to them.

That Yahoo news story is bullfeathers.

It's not unusual for Super Bowl winning teams in a particular season to have a losing record in the pre-season....and they couldn't care less.

This meaningless game to Doug Pederson had about as much importance to winning it as a pre-season game.

The 2020 season was over for the Eagles before the game started. Looking ahead to the 2021 season was the correct thing to do.

Now excuse me, i just rented a Lassie video on Netflix. I sure hope that Timmy doesn't get in bad trouble such as being stranded on the edge of a cliff, and has to be rescued by Lassie. I would find that terribly upsetting to watch, wondering if Timmy would make it or not?

@stevek said:

It's not unusual for Super Bowl winning teams in a particular season to have a losing record in the pre-season....and they couldn't care less.

This meaningless game to Doug Pederson had about as much importance to winning it as a pre-season game.

The 2020 season was over for the Eagles before the game started. Looking ahead to the 2021 season was the correct thing to do.

Now excuse me, i just rented a Lassie video on Netflix. I sure hope that Timmy doesn't get in bad trouble such as being stranded on the edge of a cliff, and has to be rescued by Lassie. I would find that terribly upsetting to watch, wondering if Timmy would make it or not?

We'll let you watch your Lassie movie, but don't go too far, the Doug Pederson tanking scandal is on fire, and there could be more to come!

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

We'll let you watch your Lassie movie, but don't go too far, the Doug Pederson tanking scandal is on fire, and there could be more to come!

I agree. A six mile wide asteroid has been spotted, heading straight towards earth, and will strike in few days, but nobody is paying attention to it because of the Doug Pederson scandal.

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

I agree. A six mile wide asteroid has been spotted, heading straight towards earth, and will strike in few days, but nobody is paying attention to it because of the Doug Pederson scandal.

Doomsday asteroids are garbage, we want Doug!

BREAKING NEWS: Eagles player Miles Sanders did not play against Washington, but he took a survey of his teammates, and it was unanimous, they didn't like what Doug Pederson did!

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/05/eagles-miles-sanders-nobody-liked-the-decision-to-bench-jalen-hurts/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess it's time to let the inmates run the asylum then.

Check out this awesome Giants meme. It's hot off the press!

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, is this to imply given the same circumstances in the future, the Giants would help the Eagles? :D

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

I'm watching the Lassie video. I don't think Timmy is going to make it this time.

Hurry Lassie hurry. 😭

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't follow the Eagles much. How long has Sudfeld been with the team?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
    edited January 5, 2021 1:32PM

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

So, is this to imply given the same circumstances in the future, the Giants would help the Eagles? :D

Is this Giants coach on drugs?

@stevek said:
    I'm watching the Lassie video. I don't think Timmy is going to make it this time.

Hurry Lassie hurry. 😭

And Lassie could care less about poor little Timmy. She's off sipping fancy drinks by the poolside!

Good news...Timmy made it.

Phew...that was a close one. 😌

@stevek said:

Don't fall for Lassie's act. She looks cute and kind, but she's really a conniving, cruel, selfish dog. She wants little Timmy out of the way so she can get more attention!

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

Don't fall for Lassie's act. She looks cute and kind, but she's really a conniving, cruel, selfish dog. She wants little Timmy out of the way so she can get more attention!

Sorry to burst your bubble DD but all Lassies were boys.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

@LarkinCollector said:

Why because the players wanted to win and Pederson snatched defeat from potential jaws of victory??

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@LarkinCollector said:

Why because the players wanted to win and Pederson snatched defeat from potential jaws of victory??

If it was his decision, he would have been fired by now. Whether it was to move up draft choices or let management get a look at the QB situation for next year to prioritize offseason changes, it wasn't Pederson. The players should be smart enough to figure this out and (a) blame the appropriate people or (b) realize it was done to better the team for next season so they aren't a joke like they were all this year.

Old Yeller and Where the Red Fern Grows are the only two dog movies worth discussing.

@2dueces said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

You mean Lassie was a transvestite? Just what kind of perverted show are they running over there at Lassie studios?

@2dueces said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

Further proof that females are untrainable. B)

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 5, 2021 4:19PM

It has nothing to do with the Giants. It’s similar to NBA stars resting on Saturday night ABC. I was looking forward to that game all day and got garbage instead. NBC should be pissed.

@LarkinCollector said:

@perkdog said:

@LarkinCollector said:

If it was his decision, he would have been fired by now. Whether it was to move up draft choices or let management get a look at the QB situation for next year to prioritize offseason changes, it wasn't Pederson. The players should be smart enough to figure this out and (a) blame the appropriate people or (b) realize it was done to better the team for next season so they aren't a joke like they were all this year.

Old Yeller and Where the Red Fern Grows are the only two dog movies worth discussing.

He has outright said it was his decision and no I don’t think he would be auto fired for making a coaches decision, I’m sure the owner doesn’t interfere with personnel decisions nor do I think he realized how much backlash this stupid move was going to cause. It’s too late to fire the guy now

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:

2deuces- start a thread about the Bills. I'll certainly try to contribute if you do. Since you watch all their
    games I would like to read your thoughts on Josh Allen and why he has improved so much.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AFLfan said:

@galaxy27 said:

I'm never going to challenge galaxy's math again.
    Or what the Giants win - loss record is.
    I might have to visit him in the hospital the next day. :o

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

This has been the best Doug Pederson and Lassie thread of all time. Hey, speaking of Doug Pederson, he is getting roasted on Twitter!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ftw.usatoday.com/2021/01/eagles-doug-pederson-ripped-for-tanking/amp

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

oh no i'm so upset a team I don't care about might have lost a meaningless game on purpose

listen to yourselves ! :D

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:

@AFLfan said:

@galaxy27 said:

I'm never going to challenge galaxy's math again.
    Or what the Giants win - loss record is.
    I might have to visit him in the hospital the next day. :o

I just liked this post and I'm already having second thoughts about it

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

The coach just wanted to see what the rookie QB could do in that situation under pressure. While at the same time trying to win the game. That's all it was.

This explanation would make more sense if the coach hadn't pulled a rookie in favor of a FOURTH-YEAR quarterback. Sudfeld joined the Eagles in 2017.

edited January 6, 2021 4:37AM

@Tabe said:

@stevek said:

This explanation would make more sense if the coach hadn't pulled a rookie in favor of a FOURTH-YEAR quarterback. Sudfeld joined the Eagles in 2017.

And again had he also taken the easy 3 points at the half as well. Nothing can be said to argue against this being an epic bush league game by the Eagles. The only question was it Pederson himself or was he following orders. Case closed and it’s not even remotely debatable. Anyone that disagrees just doesn’t understand the game of football. 🤷‍♂️