Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:
    There will be only 100 of the MCMXXI Broken-Sword over-strikes. Once I get into the production, if any are converted to the "circulated" finish, any such pieces will be part of the 100 total.

OMG, sign me up for the circulated finish too!

• Options
    edited January 2, 2021 8:25AM

@coinsarefun said:

@Zoins said:
    This 2013 Battle of Lake Erie Bicentennial is currently available. Looks nice and is a lot of gold!

I prefer this one.......same gold content and a couple hundred cheaper.

There is a "Make Offer" button :)

They are both good to me. I like the Wilson Dollar, but also appreciate the Battle of Lake Erie subject matter.

• Options
    fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 904 ✭✭✭✭

Ordered my 2021 Broken Sword Roman Numeral overstrike yesterday but with as many of you ordering them I am concerned that I may miss out. If Dan excepted my order does that guarantee I'll get mine ?

• Options
    edited January 2, 2021 9:47AM

@fiftysevener said:
    Ordered my 2021 Broken Sword Roman Numeral overstrike yesterday but with as many of you ordering them I am concerned that I may miss out. If Dan excepted my order does that guarantee I'll get mine ?

I don't think you'll miss out. Dan's site is pretty good at preventing orders when an item is no longer available.

For this particular piece, I'm glad there's a limit of 1 per person and the price is high enough to discourage flipping. It means that collectors can get something special.

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fiftysevener said:

Any problem with your payment? That's the only thing I can imagine might cancel your order after its been accepted.

A far greater concern for me are mailbox thieves.

USPS also worries me a bit. But so far, they've been 100% reliable (knock on wood). It's also reassuring that the USPS route from Dan to me is easily tracked and very predictable.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Daniel is an awesome businessman, artist.

I am certain he'll make your order right.

Relax, its all good.

• Options
    Will1960Will1960 Posts: 76 ✭✭✭

Glad that I checked in the other day.
    I ordered 'The Bolt Thrower Octagon Owl.
    Have ordered one each year as soon as they're released, among other items.
    2 of each year since the initial release.

• Options

@Will1960 said:
    Glad that I checked in the other day.
    I ordered 'The Bolt Thrower Octagon Owl.
    Have ordered one each year as soon as they're released, among other items.
    2 of each year since the initial release.

The Bolt Thrower Octagon is on my order too :+1:

• Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2021 9:18PM

picked up the 1921 peace dollar o/s and the jan escher steps - can not WAIT to see these in hand 🖐👀

edited to say I now - after purchasing 😂 - read the story on the listing and ... my god - this is going to be an incredible piece

would love to know more about how they did scaling down of plasters back in the day if anyone has a good link accessible

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m on the fence about the 1921 peace... that’s a lot of cash! I saw a few of you saying you would buy extras if you could.... what are your thoughts?

• Options

@jwitten said:
    I’m on the fence about the 1921 peace... that’s a lot of cash! I saw a few of you saying you would buy extras if you could.... what are your thoughts?

it is a lot of money and was fence-sitting myself, but - like @zoins, and I'm sure many others - this is staying in my collection, and I think will compliment the us mint 2021 peace commem --- and the story behind it is 🤯 - def will be the most storied piece in my collection [so far]

• Options
    edited January 3, 2021 2:48PM

@Namvet69 said:
    I don't often get to be a tease but......guess what I got? Peace Roy

Looks like a V76 Silver Eagle? ;)

That or a 2009-DC Proofed Silver Eagle?

• Options

@Namvet69 said:
    @Zoins good eye my friend "2009" thin DC Proofed Overstrike. This thing is sweet. Peace Roy

Awesome! That's a classic :+1:

• Options
    felinfoelfelinfoel Posts: 391 ✭✭✭✭

@Zoins good eye my friend "2009" thin DC Proofed Overstrike. This thing is sweet. Peace Roy

It's weird how rare the thick type is, given a mintage of 368.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fortunately Dan Carr's website lays it all out in detail. It also came in a nice boxed hinged wood case. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said:

Nice Peace! I recall this Peace caused quite a stir with collectors -- both in favor and not. I was not on this forum at the time so others can provide a bit of history. I think it also brought much attention to Carr's works and more collectors as he continued with several "new" issues in the series.

As was pointed out, the other Peace at the time was the precursor DP2 "thick DC" strike which seems to have totally evaporated as I've been looking for one for years without success.

Now what is REALLLY cool is the next in the series -- 2009-D Proof with the Weinman reverse.

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LindyS said:
    I try to buy items I like in pairs.
    In past I went thru a triples phase.
    One is better than none.

@jwitten said:

I agree @LindyS as I usually buy more than one if I like the design, and subsidize my collection purchases later with selling one off (often quite some time later). If priced too high that potential may not exist and sales may slump. Most businesses prefer to turn their inventory fast and repeatedly to keep cash flow moving. IMHO :)

The US Mint has created a compromise for popular issues by restricting sales for a short period for wide distribution initially, then dropping restrictions to promote sellout.

That said, it was still a no-brainer for the 21 Peace as I love the series and need this for set completion. The two-ouncer Peace is a good "poor mans" version.

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    felinfoelfelinfoel Posts: 391 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2021 4:48PM

@Akbeez said:
    As was pointed out, the other Peace at the time was the precursor DP2 "thick DC" strike which seems to have totally evaporated as I've been looking for one for years without success.

I picked mine up in 2017 (and it wasn't cheap). I had been looking for awhile at that point, and I haven't seen one since.

• Options
    heavymetalheavymetal Posts: 574 ✭✭✭✭

First purchases of the New Year. 21 Union, 21 Octagon Owl, and the 21 Peace Dollar. Mr Carr, your work is exquisite.

• Options

@Akbeez so I read all the correspondence between parties concerning opinions on Dan Carrs work product. He represented himself extremely well IMHO. And so it goes that we continue to collect and enjoy his craft. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon

• Options

Nice to see them playing nicely together. Kinda drawn to the rev proof. Peace Roy

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Twobitcollector said:
    Just ordered one

Hmmm, I was curious who started this thread. Whaddaya know . . . .

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister said:

@Twobitcollector said:
    Just ordered one

Hmmm, I was curious who started this thread. Whaddaya know . . . .

Z

How about that October 7, 2016 10:49PM date & time

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

Final mintage on the December 13 Steps

Bronze-39
    Silver-54

• Options
    edited January 5, 2021 5:29AM

@Bullsitter said:

Bronze-39
    Silver-54

Here's the catalog link:

http://www.moonlightmint.com/dc-coin_hard_times_list.htm

The following is very interesting! Check your bronze pieces for additional edge markings and post-strike finish!

1) Edge marked “DEC 2020” and “BRONZE” (positioning varies).
    Some have additional (redundant) edge markings.
    11 have a post-strike “bulk-handled” finish.

• Options

Standard bronze here.

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options

@Bullsitter said:

Bronze-39
    Silver-54

siiiick! my dec 2020 just shipped today - feel lucky to've gotten in under the wire on that one; and the 1921 o/s - phew! 😄

• Options

@felinfoel said:
    The 1921 High Relief Peace is not longer available on the site, and shows "sold out" here: http://www.moonlightmint.com/blog_19.htm

I'm surprised it took so long.

Very glad I ordered one. Probably will be THE key overstrike in Carr Peace dollars.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options

USS COLORADO Trio

• Options

< frantically refreshing @dcarr webstore >

👀

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,148 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@Bullsitter said:

Bronze-39
    Silver-54

Here's the catalog link:

http://www.moonlightmint.com/dc-coin_hard_times_list.htm

The following is very interesting! Check your bronze pieces for additional edge markings and post-strike finish!

1) Edge marked “DEC 2020” and “BRONZE” (positioning varies).
    Some have additional (redundant) edge markings.
    11 have a post-strike “bulk-handled” finish.

The "bulk handled" specimens are "rejects" that I handed out to local friends, etc.

PS:
    I have found that bronze does not behave nearly as well as silver when melting, pouring, rolling and punching.
    So a number of the bronze "Stairs" medals had planchet defects (the most severe ones were melted, the moderate ones were given away locally, and the minor ones were sold).

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 5, 2021 12:07PM

@ZoidMeister said:

@dcarr said:

The "bulk handled" specimens are "rejects" that I handed out to local friends, etc.

PS:
    I have found that bronze does not behave nearly as well as silver when melting, pouring, rolling and punching.
    So a number of the bronze "Stairs" medals had planchet defects (the most severe ones were melted, the moderate ones were given away locally, and the minor ones were sold).

I need to move to Colorado . . . . .

Z

I just contacted Zillow about the Denver area.... :#

• Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a bronze that features the word "BRONZE" struck into two different edges (as well as "DEC 2020"). I assume that extra "BRONZE" striking might be an example of the "additional (redundant) edge marking" mentioned in the product description.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,148 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PipestonePete said:
    I have a bronze that features the word "BRONZE" struck into two different edges (as well as "DEC 2020"). I assume that extra "BRONZE" striking might be an example of the "additional (redundant) edge marking" mentioned in the product description.

Yes, that is one of the "additional (redundant)" markings. It was completely random as to which individual medal was shipped to each buyer.

But with a total mintage of 39 (bronze), they are all rare ;)

• Options

@dcarr said:

Mine has some "gravitational anomalies" mentioned above. Is this one considered a minor "bulk handled" piece?

Z

• Options

For me,
    beginning with 1964D Peace years ago & now the ending of the run with MCMXXI fantasy, its been a fun ride !!!

Had the house hold account limit been unlimited, I am not sure what I would have done ???

When I first became aware of it I have always loved the MCMXXI Peace !!!

@Bullsitter said:
    The question now becomes, who DID NOT buy the MCMXXI BS? B)

• Options
    edited January 5, 2021 8:12PM

@dcarr said:

@felinfoel said:
    The 1921 High Relief Peace is not longer available on the site, and shows "sold out" here: http://www.moonlightmint.com/blog_19.htm

Here is a production update:

...At some unannounced time I may have a few more to list on my store (high-grade and/or circulated)...

Dan, will I be able to order a circulated MCMXXI Peace Dollar if I've already ordered the high-grade version?

Yes or no, I'm good either way.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file