Home Precious Metals

2023 OVERTIME!! - 2021 Investment Contest - Final ! 12/31/2021 Results Posted ! - zContest

MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 29, 2023 4:05PM in Precious Metals

I am going to TRY to do this

I have to say "Try" because I only "Think" Google Sheets will be good enough. Should there be unforeseen shortcomings with Google Sheets, updates will likely be farther between.

See Next Post For Rules

Check Your PICKS and the RATIOS

Check the Quotes & Shares/Coins/Ounces

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Comments

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 28, 2020 5:05PM

The Rules Are "Mostly" the Same

This post is longer because some unwritten rules have been spelled out

Submissions due by 12/30 29 midnight Hawaii Time so I can have a some time to work on this.

Check your picks for accuracy once the list is posted.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

While fun, at least for me, in 2020, there will be no surprise mid-game change of investment opportunities. [seemed unpopular]

Rules:

Google Finance Rounds the Prices - the rounded price will be used.

• Stock Splits... there seems to be no easy way to track stock splits. So, it is up to the player to provide the split info.

• Ticker changes... such as due to a merger or an exchange change or a delisting... are a bit easier to find out, but I would appreciate a heads up on them, too.

• Mergers... this is also a pain to follow. So, it is up to the player to provide the merger info.

=> Errors due to a stock split, ticker change or merger found after the end of the contest will follow the "Too Bad, So Sad" rule!!!

• Dividends... it is extremely hard to track pay dates for divided stocks. It would literally require checking most tickers monthly. Hey... costco paid a special $10 dividend in December... and some start and stop dividends, like banks under the Feds' thumb. Long story long - dividends aren't factored in.

• SPACs - I'm going to predict we might have some SPAC investments. Only shares can be bought but not the units nor warrants.

kitco for metals quotes first and foremost. (https://www.kitco.com/market/)
    I'm buying on the ask and selling on the bid. (poor rhodium)
    other metals or commodities not on kitco will need a spot quote source and not be a futures quote.

no currency market currencies (anything on a stock exchange, such as an ETF, is game)
    no options
    no futures
    no stocks already in bankruptcy
    no stocks already under a dollar at the stock exchange close on 12/31/2020

no margin calls on short positions (same as in 2020) - if a position or an account goes into a loss, we'll all see how bad it gets or even if you get a turn around.

I'll take cryptocurrencies on the condition that a single web address is provided to get the specific crypto quote. If that exchange fails, such as due to a hack, then the value of the player's account will go to and stay at $0.00 upon the exchange filing for bankruptcy but not before. Let me know about hacks and bankruptcies. Failure to do so before the end of the contest will be a forfeit.

I see Greek Bonds were played in 2017 and Aramco Stock in 2020. that's fair game as long as I have a quote source for both the instrument and the currency conversion.

I'll be using google for stock and currency exchange quotes. if it's not available there, please find a place to get a quote.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

#1 place will get a Silver Eagle ex: Painted

=> New Winning Category - "The Least" prize*** - closest to $9000.00 over or under - prize: $1 paid in a small dollar of my choice... I'll be hunting a SBA.
    *** contingency - if this prize winner is the winner of another prize, then this prize is not paid.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 26, 2020 8:12PM

PLUG!!

Just kidding. I'll get my stock in to you by the deadline. I'll just have to troll old posts by smoe of the other guys, since it worked out so well for me for 2020. :D

Thanks for taking this on, BTW!

• jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

1/3 SLV
    1/3 MLHR
    1/3 LULU

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 26, 2020 10:01PM

1/2 FCEL
    1/2 GEVO

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 27, 2020 7:54AM

Bitcoin (coindesk.com)

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭

I’ll continue my tradition of an ASE or silver bar for the last place “winner” on 12/31/21.

Thanks for stepping up!

• TPGSTPGS Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

1/2 AMZN
    1/2 AAPL

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why 12/29? Folks might be on vaca.

I'll get my pick(s) in and will do the 1/2oz middle prize again.

• SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll take:

LAZR 2/3
    BCDA 1/3

Thanks!

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 27, 2020 11:16AM
  • 10000lakes10000lakes Posts: 811 ✭✭✭✭

100% in INS

Thanks

• SNMANSNMAN Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭

1/2 : NIO
    1/2: KNDI

Thank you 👍

Positive Transactions with: justindan; Drunner; Segoja, Dragon, fivecents, Connecticoin, WTCG, gsa1fan, abitofthisabitofthat; commoncents05;Broadstruck; and ......more
  • JTHawaiiJTHawaii Posts: 106 ✭✭✭

1/2 APXT
    1/2 BEP

Thank you.

Successful BST Transactions With: AUandAG, SurfinxHI, tightbudget, dmarks, jfoot13, jimineez1, PerryHall, rte592, cucamongacoin, Flackthat, robkool, Walkerguy21D, pruebas, KJB, LukeMarshall, 1630Boston, chumley, privatecoin, Histman, SullyFan2, al410, mcarney1173, Coinflip, mbogoman, dm679864, commoncents05, scooter25

• 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 27, 2020 5:24PM

1/2 bitcoin
    1/2 AMZN

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can someone explain how this works? I would like to participate but am a bit confused.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kliao said:
    Can someone explain how this works? I would like to participate but am a bit confused.

It’s an investment contest, you start with $9000 and pick some stock shares or precious metals or crypto (if it can be easily tracked)

At the end of the year, the person who makes the most wins!

It's all about what the people want...

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 28, 2020 3:56PM

@LukeMarshall said:

@Kliao said:

It’s an investment contest, you start with $9000 and pick some stock shares or precious metals or crypto (if it can be easily tracked)

At the end of the year, the person who makes the most wins!

>
    Neat thanks! I'll guess,

33% TSM
    34% Silver
    33% LMT

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

late night bump for the early morning crowd

• GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

All in - CMRX

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kliao said:

end of the year price of your pick(s) is the only price that matters. Everything in between is irrelevant.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭

100% short TQQQ (Proshares ultrapro QQQ)

1/2 ABEV
    1/2 SPCE

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

QS all in.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dang, I can’t even buy an Oz of rhodium this year!

I’ll guess I’ll carry forward one of my 2020 picks

100% - ETCG

Thanks @MsMorrisine

It's all about what the people want...

• KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 28, 2020 8:40PM

Well, I was going to repeat 2020 and stick with 100% bitcoin, but thats already been taken.
    So I'll sit on the sidelines this year and pretend that I'm @derryb

• percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

50 percent SQ
    50 percent FVRR

"Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • taxmadtaxmad Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭

50% REMX
    25% VFF
    25% AMZN

• FHCFHC Posts: 323 ✭✭✭

50% Silver
    50% NOVA

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 28, 2020 3:51PM

100%,,,,AGQ (ProShares Ultra Silver)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

HALO

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

I'll extend the deadline by 1 day, but that's the best I can do.

putting the picks in the spreadsheet requires ntot only cut and paste but also verifying the work

it's a bit tedious.

then it all has to be ready to grab te 12/31/2020 quotes

edited December 28, 2020 5:11PM

while the google machinery rounds quotes to 2 decimals, the spreadsheets are kept to however many the software keeps.

so 1/3 - .33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333
    2/3 = .6666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666

and so forth

the number of shares stored are of the form: 1234.65484595636233287548956069845632383988934623

as well as the portfolio values: $16,375.3890547243459864783274 => however it is displayed as => $16,375.39

long story long:

while it is next to impossible to have ties

if there is a tie: I will award to each of the tied players.

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 28, 2020 7:08PM

Give me OKTA please. 100%...going for profit (I hope)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

MsMorrisine,

You are going above and beyond to do this, and let others enjoy it as well. I, for one, won't complain about any rules that you set up at the onset of this "game"...nor if you are "inflexible" on weird things throughout. People could always go elsewhere if they wanted to play it like a fully capable stock picking game. It's YOUR baby right now and you make the rules.

The one thing that would bring me a little more fun would just be if players stated whether their picks were going for gold or coal (top win or top loss). I love looking at other people's picks throughout and seeing how it goes.
    My picks usually suck, so I like living vicariously....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

send those PMs and emails out

we only have 22, and I'd make 23, players

me?

100% AMC

• PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

100% QUBT

Found a couple things about using google sheets and having them auto update @MsMorrisine

https://www.reddit.com/r/stocks/comments/km8zs2/built_a_google_sheets_template_with_automatic/

Might be worth investigating as it looks like it's a set-up and forget it.

• GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    QS all in.

bob :)

My son just rode that from 65 to 125. He’s out of it now.

• SILJ

BST references:
    jdimmick;Gerard;wondercoin;claychaser;agentjim007;CCC2010;guitarwes;TAMU15;Zubie;mariner67;segoja;Smittys;kaz;CARDSANDCOINS;FadeToBlack;
    jrt103;tizofthe;bronze6827;mkman;Scootersdad;AllCoinsRule;coindeuce;dmarks;piecesofme; and many more
  • MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • fox9487fox9487 Posts: 282 ✭✭✭

USO - 10%
    DS - 90%

Successful Transactions: Coinflip, bp777, firstspousecoins, Akbeez, jmlanzaf, JWP
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

NNDM,
    Thx for doing this

• MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

1/2 amazon
    1/2 oxbdf

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

1/4 APPL
    1/4 AMZN
    1/4 NFLX
    1/4 MSFT

A fun game, I’m curious to see how badly I do :) It’s why I don’t do stocks for a living.

• CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭

@Bochiman said:
    MsMorrisine,

You are going above and beyond to do this, and let others enjoy it as well. I, for one, won't complain about any rules that you set up at the onset of this "game"...nor if you are "inflexible" on weird things throughout. People could always go elsewhere if they wanted to play it like a fully capable stock picking game. It's YOUR baby right now and you make the rules.

The one thing that would bring me a little more fun would just be if players stated whether their picks were going for gold or coal (top win or top loss). I love looking at other people's picks throughout and seeing how it goes.
    My picks usually suck, so I like living vicariously....

I was thinking the same thing @Bochiman. It would be great if we knew whether people expected their picks to go up or crash. I also enjoy looking at what other people have picked, some of which I have never heard of. Knowing they are going for zero would probably lead me to skip those.

Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
    edited December 29, 2020 2:07PM

@TurtleCat said:
    1/4 APPL
    1/4 AMZN
    1/4 NFLX
    1/4 MSFT

I assume you mean AAPL instead of APPL

@MsMorrisine said:

@TurtleCat said:
    1/4 APPL
    1/4 AMZN
    1/4 NFLX
    1/4 MSFT

I assume you mean APPL instead of AAPL

Yes, thank you. Just typing too fast!

• CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭

100% LMND (LEMONADE)
    Going for positive.

Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!