Home U.S. Coin Forum

U.S. Mint Trump Presidency Medals

P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stumbled upon these while window-shopping on the Mint's site. When were these released? I don't recall any discussion about them on the forums (which is surprising) unless I missed it, and they aren't listed at all on the Mint's product release schedule.

1 5/16 inch Bronze Medal
3 inch Bronze Medal

Another curiosity: both bronze, but are clearly different colors and medal compositions

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

Comments

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

the different colors are normal.

there is an explanation, but I don't recall it. maybe someone will wander in and tell.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    the different colors are normal.

there is an explanation, but I don't recall it. maybe someone will wander in and tell.

The 3 inch medal has a sandblasted surface that is lighter in color. The smaller medal has a “coin finish” surface which is not given any special treatment.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • MedalCollectorMedalCollector Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe they were just released in the last few weeks. Interestingly, a Secretary of the Treasury medal and a Mint Director medal were also just released (an honor which was not carried through for Geithner or Moy).

The yellow color represents the 3” medal which has a sandblasted surface finish applied. The more copper color represents the 1 5/16” medals which have a brilliant finish. I am not sure what the difference in alloy may be, if any, but there likely is due to the different requirements to fully strike up these medals in different sizes.

• RedStormRedStorm Posts: 223 ✭✭✭

Isn’t the mint jacking up prices of medals big time in the new year?

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,023 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 20, 2020 4:14PM

Informative is overly broad... just limit the discussion to inaugural medals. Good luck

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can someone confirm the price increase on 3" medals. I heard on another thread they will be over $100 but I assumed that was fir the Congressional medals and was hoping it was only for new ones.

I knew there was a lag time for a new administration"s medals but this is ridiculous.

Also, the 3" have a chemical patina and I believe the small ones are as struck.

https://www.coinworld.com/news/precious-metals/united-states-mint-increases-prices-on-15-silver-products

The U.S. Mint is scheduled to more than quadruple the price for its 3-inch bronze medals, to $160 from the current $39.95, and to almost triple the price, going to $20 from $6.95, for its 1.3125-inch and 1.5-inch bronze medals.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    https://www.coinworld.com/news/precious-metals/united-states-mint-increases-prices-on-15-silver-products

The U.S. Mint is scheduled to more than quadruple the price for its 3-inch bronze medals, to $160 from the current $39.95, and to almost triple the price, going to $20 from $6.95, for its 1.3125-inch and 1.5-inch bronze medals.

That seems oddly disproportionate.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

good god ... 😶

hmmmmm

were there ever any official trump inauguration medals?

edited December 20, 2020 4:48PM

@MsMorrisine said:
    hmmmmm

No, just Just the Ohio Republican Party medals. The Trump campaign or inaugural committee never got back to the producer on which design they wanted so there was no officual medal. The Ohio GOP picked from the design options already created.

The Trump campaign (after the election/inauguration) eventually contracted with the same producer (Medalcraft) to make a large medal that was sold on their site to raise campaign money.

Medalcraft did also strike alternate designs for both issues above but they were never officially released. I was able to obtain the alternate "inaugural medal" and I have seen the alternate "campaign medal" on ebay.

• ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 20, 2020 4:49PM

@MsMorrisine said:

Could this be it?

https://www.medalcraft.com/local-minting-company-makes-inaugural-medallion/

edited December 20, 2020 4:51PM

@MsMorrisine said:

This is such bad news. I never picked up the large 9/11 medals and Tuskegee Airmen and Jimmy Doolittle medals, so I'll need to jump on those now.

doolittle medals are on sale now
    Tuskegee 3" is also.

they have cases for them, too.

@ReadyFireAim said:

@MsMorrisine said:

Could this be it?

https://www.medalcraft.com/local-minting-company-makes-inaugural-medallion/

That's the January 2017 press release from when they were expecting to make one.

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 20, 2020 6:28PM

Thanks for the tip,,,, I just ordered 5 medals,,,,,

Anyone know the issue price for the above medal?

GrandAm :)
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,490 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

Geez, they are a hard sell at half the old price on the secondary market...

On the bright side, maybe there will finally be a secondary market for all of those earlier issues.

• bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 20, 2020 7:30PM

@Namvet69 said:
    As my mom always said, if ya don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything. 300K+ dead at the feet of a clown. Peace Roy

Edited for politeness!!! LMAO

lock me now!

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    Medalcraft did also strike alternate designs for both issues above but they were never officially released. I was able to obtain the alternate "inaugural medal" and I have seen the alternate "campaign medal" on ebay.

Did they do an alternate design with Sean Spicer on the reverse? I think I'd buy one of those.

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,567 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinJunkie said:

@JBK said:

Did they do an alternate design with Sean Spicer on the reverse? I think I'd buy one of those.

I wonder if they will make one for Biden with Kamala on the reverse. That would truly be a coin flip :D

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sunday night on the forum. Look out!

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

@JBK said:
    I knew there was a lag time for a new administration"s medals but this is ridiculous.

Collectors are confused about the difference between official inaugural medals and presidential medals, which are issued by the Philadelphia Mint. The inaugural medals are authorized by the Inaugural Committee, in modern times as a fund raiser. The presidential medals are issued by the mint usually toward the end of an administration.

What does the fund raising typically raise funds for?

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,567 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    Sunday night on the forum. Look out!

It reminds me of Celebrity Death Match :D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJG8X8Yhkjo

• ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    It should have had added color like the basketball coin :D

Did someone take away your pacifier. I will get you another one so you can go back to your happy thoughts!

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bye, Bye.

• RedStormRedStorm Posts: 223 ✭✭✭

@ernie11 said:
    In a vain attempt to get this thread back on track, what others said above was true about these usually coming out at the end of an administration. I looked in my inventory and found that I bought the medals for Barack Obama's two terms around February 15, 2017, after he had left office. I recall the same thing happening at the Mint for the George W. Bush medals.

That’s my recollection too, but wonder why they are issued so late? Is it because the medal is for the term and the medal ‘could’ recognize something during the term? Most presidential medals have a quote from the inauguration, but George W Bush’s first term has a quote from September 11 instead. Just seems like the Mint could sell more of them, no matter who the president is, if it came closer to the beginning of the term than the end.

@Zoins said:

@BillJones said:

@JBK said:

Collectors are confused about the difference between official inaugural medals and presidential medals, which are issued by the Philadelphia Mint. The inaugural medals are authorized by the Inaugural Committee, in modern times as a fund raiser. The presidential medals are issued by the mint usually toward the end of an administration.

The inauguration itself and all the inaugural festivities.

edited December 21, 2020 4:26AM

Too bad the thread is about to get shut down. There was sone useful discussion here.

There's probably still time to edit comments... ;)

• @JBK said:
    Too bad the thread is about to get shut down. There was sone useful discussion here.

There's probably still time to edit comments... ;)

That's their goal. Instead they should be shut down.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@BillJones said:

@JBK said:

They are used to finance the inaugural balls and other events that are part of the celebration. It’s a big undertaking that requires more work than you imagine. For example, in the old days, there were frequently just three gold inaugural medals produced. They were awarded to the president, vice president and the chairman of the inaugural committee.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just sent an E-Mail to medalcraft for more information.
    If I hear anything, I'll let you know.

This discussion has been closed.