Home U.S. Coin Forum

U.S. Mint Trump Presidency Medals

Comments

• JedPlanchetJedPlanchet Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

@GoldenEgg said:
    I believe they were just released in the last few weeks. Interestingly, a Secretary of the Treasury medal and a Mint Director medal were also just released (an honor which was not carried through for Geithner or Moy).

Never knew about that. I can't imagine there is a huge market for these.

Whatever you are, be a good one. ---- Abraham Lincoln
  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like the Ohio medal in Bronze goes for about $100. I think there is a silver version?

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, there is a silver but it was/is horrendously expensive, like 4 or 5 hundred. It was issued much later than the bronze, after the Ohio medal became the defacto "official" medal.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    Yes, there is a silver but it was/is horrendously expensive, like 4 or 5 hundred. It was issued much later than the bronze, after the Ohio medal became the defacto "official" medal.

If I ever have a Franklin burning a hole in my pocket, I might buy the bronze one.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 21, 2020 1:07PM

@BillJones said:

@Zoins said:

@BillJones said:

@JBK said:
    I knew there was a lag time for a new administration"s medals but this is ridiculous.

Collectors are confused about the difference between official inaugural medals and presidential medals, which are issued by the Philadelphia Mint. The inaugural medals are authorized by the Inaugural Committee, in modern times as a fund raiser. The presidential medals are issued by the mint usually toward the end of an administration.

What does the fund raising typically raise funds for?

They are used to finance the inaugural balls and other events that are part of the celebration. It’s a big undertaking that requires more work than you imagine. For example, in the old days, there were frequently just three gold inaugural medals produced. They were awarded to the president, vice president and the chairman of the inaugural committee.

If it's for fundraising, were the POTUS, VP, and Chairman supposed to sell the gold medals to receive funds? Or is part of the funds raised to create the gold medals as gifts?

@Zoins said:

@BillJones said:

@Zoins said:

@BillJones said:

@JBK said:
    I knew there was a lag time for a new administration"s medals but this is ridiculous.

Collectors are confused about the difference between official inaugural medals and presidential medals, which are issued by the Philadelphia Mint. The inaugural medals are authorized by the Inaugural Committee, in modern times as a fund raiser. The presidential medals are issued by the mint usually toward the end of an administration.

What does the fund raising typically raise funds for?

They are used to finance the inaugural balls and other events that are part of the celebration. It’s a big undertaking that requires more work than you imagine. For example, in the old days, there were frequently just three gold inaugural medals produced. They were awarded to the president, vice president and the chairman of the inaugural committee.

If it's for fundraising, were the POTUS, VP, and Chairman supposed to sell the gold medals to receive funds? Or is part of the funds raised to create the gold medals as gifts?

Gifts.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 21, 2020 7:41PM

:#

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

This has gotten much too far off the track. Time for it to disappear now.

• SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 21, 2020 5:36PM

Many members here are now at serious risk of getting banned per the rules. I don’t want to see anyone banned .... even if I completely disagree with your non-coin views. The forum loses when we lose forum members ..... come on folks, please STOP the public nastiness. Stick to coins. If you can’t do that in this thread, don’t post, and save yourself from banning! 🤓⭐️🤓⭐️

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 21, 2020 5:16PM

Hey Slammer,

Nice of you to share your concerns. Maybe you could post the same message in the following thread, which your (hypocritical) buddies had no problem crapping on at the time.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/11972207

• ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ElmerFusterpuck said:
    This thread has had some great input and postings about medals (which I don't collect) and one pretty funny post too. The rest is kind of what I expected.

Funny how some of you will go on huge rants about sleazy Ebay sellers (and buyers), thieves, liars in the coin business, and so on - and deservedly so. But somehow, this one special person gets a pass for doing the equivalent of all that and more and you expect a positive reaction and support for that person? I really do wonder about the values of some people here, and I'm not talking political either. We wouldn't accept a serial liar in the coin business or on the BST, nor should we put up with it anywhere else, be it a teacher, police officer, doctor or a politician.

Please!

edited December 21, 2020 5:34PM

@CoinJunkie .... that link is over 2 years old. Still I think you’ve illustrated my point by linking a thread where some folks were subsequently banned. Were they banned as a result of that thread in particular? Don’t know. Let’s all stick to coins....or in this case, presidential medals.

@SeattleSlammer said:
    @CoinJunkie .... that link is over 2 years old. Still I think you’ve illustrated my point by linking a thread where a some folks were subsequently banned. Were they banned as a result of that thread in particular? Don’t know. Let’s all stick to coins....or in this case, presidential medals.

I can say authoritatively the no one was banned as a direct result of that thread. In reading it now, I might report several people who technically could/should be. What does the fact that it's two years old have to do with anything? Hypocrisy is timeless.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinJunkie said:

@SeattleSlammer said:
    @CoinJunkie .... that link is over 2 years old. Still I think you’ve illustrated my point by linking a thread where a some folks were subsequently banned. Were they banned as a result of that thread in particular? Don’t know. Let’s all stick to coins....or in this case, presidential medals.

I can say authoritatively the no one was banned as a direct result of that thread. In reading it now, I might report several people who technically could/should be. What does the fact that it's two years old have to do with anything? Hypocrisy is timeless.

Who might you be reporting and for what reasons?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

edited December 21, 2020 5:50PM

@CoinJunkie does it matter that your linked thread is 2.5 years old?, and I didn’t post in it?, and I have no recollection of even reading it? I’m going to say yes to all of those questions.

@bsshog40 is that one ounce or really dime sized? Cool.

• foraiurforaiur Posts: 134 ✭✭✭

Too bad there isn't just a Trump/Obama medal. Seems to be what a lot of people in this thread and that other deserve.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,490 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ElmerFusterpuck said:
    This thread has had some great input and postings about medals (which I don't collect) and one pretty funny post too. The rest is kind of what I expected.

Funny how some of you will go on huge rants about sleazy Ebay sellers (and buyers), thieves, liars in the coin business, and so on - and deservedly so. But somehow, this one special person gets a pass for doing the equivalent of all that and more and you expect a positive reaction and support for that person? I really do wonder about the values of some people here, and I'm not talking political either. We wouldn't accept a serial liar in the coin business or on the BST, nor should we put up with it anywhere else, be it a teacher, police officer, doctor or a politician.

This was a post about medals. This is the most recent Presidential medal. If you don't like JFK, are you supposed to cut the half dollars out of every mint/proof set? If you collect Presidential medals, this is one.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,490 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinJunkie said:

@SeattleSlammer said:

All of those people were subsequently banned for political comments that were deemed either insensitive or racist. So, @SeattleSlammer isn't wrong to ask people to leave out the politics. It can get you banned.

• Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found this thread quite informative and helpful. I did not realize the mint made medals and had so many different ones currently available for so many years. I looked at the offerings and there are many different presidential offerings available that should make about anyone interested happy. Billjones appears to be quite knowledgeable on the history of presidential medals and offerings over a long period of time, he seems to have a true interest in the series and I enjoy reading his posts. A lot of these off comments just are not warranted, if you don't like an offering just move on, no reason to stay and cause problems. I for one am happy to have been provided with the information in this thread about this mint made offering so that I could appropriately direct some funds to help support the US mint and it's future endeavors.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,023 ✭✭✭✭✭

Besides the 1945 Inaugural medal, Jo Davidson also did the 1941Inaugural medal for Roosevelt's third term. In addition, he did a bust of FDR and one for Henry Wallace. His work is quite impressive.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

edited December 22, 2020 3:39AM

@bsshog40 said:
    Sooo back to medals. I don't own any presidential medals but I do have this Reagan Dime. Lol

I also have one of those somewhere. There was an effort by some people to put Reagan's portrait on the dime and this issue was sort of inspired by that campaign. There were a couple different design variations, but I am not sure if they were made by the same maker or not.

• MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Poof

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 22, 2020 4:57AM

Several months ago there was a thread here about the Presidential medals, and it sparked an interest for me, even though I had not owned a single medal. I checked eBay, and saw a listing for one of those older U.S. Mint albums that also contained 40 of the smaller ($6.95) medals from the beginning through Reagan. I negotiated with the seller a price of about $40 or so including shipping, and then bought from the Mint about 8 more recent ones at their $6.95 each retail price to update this set.

Seeing how the Mint is making this crazy move of tripling the price soon on these smaller medals (and about 4 times on the three inch medals), two weeks ago I ordered at the current “pre-increase” pricing a 3 inch one of this latest release for myself, and 10 of the smaller ones - one for my Presidential medal collection, and nine to give out to friends and family who would enjoy having it.

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996

And this is the unofficial 1977 Carter Inaugural that has a separate and matching medal for VP Walter Mondale. Both have a high relief and produced by Medallic Art Co. in my view, the Medallic Art Co. medals were superior to the official Inaugural medal produced by the Franklin Mint. The Medallic Arts bronze pair had a production run of 1000 and the pair exists in Silver and that had a very limited production... off hand I doubt that it made it to 100. The Silver set is quite striking and something the modernists should seek to obtain.

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SeattleSlammer said:
    @CoinJunkie does it matter that your linked thread is 2.5 years old?, and I didn’t post in it?, and I have no recollection of even reading it? I’m going to say yes to all of those questions.

crickets because it DOES matter on those things...

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

@Bochiman said:

@SeattleSlammer said:

crickets because it DOES matter on those things...

No, crickets because I took it to PM to avoid derailing the thread any further.

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 22, 2020 12:45PM

This thread has turned out to be somewhat analogous to the Harry Potter books and the antagonist therein, ....... "He who must not be named."

A medal showing the profiles of presidents #44 and #45 (like the one of LBJ and JFK with the bust of JFK being placed in front of and partially over the bust of LBJ) would be an endless source of intense feelings and emotions across the fruited plane and across the globe.

Woe to the company hired to market such a medal.

@SanctionII

I sincerely hope that you are not referring to the JFK-LBJ Medal I posted above... that is not Ike... it is Lyndon Johnson.

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was.

I stand corrected. My humble apologies. I will edit my post accordingly.

edited December 22, 2020 12:53PM

@BillJones said:
    I was going to put out an exhibit of the presidential inaugural medals from 1901 to 1961 at the FUN show. I was going to do it at the Summer FUN show, but that was called off too.

I believe you are incorrect. According to the FUN website funtopics.com, it appears Summer FUN is still on, scheduled to start July 8th.

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996

@SanctionII

You really need to completely rethink what you are trying to write. I really do not understand what you are trying to say here... We should be able to agree that this is an Inaugural medal for the year 1961. Kennedy was Inaugurated as the 35th President. LBJ was inaugurated as the Vice President... They are both from the same political party.

How do you draw your conclusion... woe to the company hired to market such a medal

What is wrong with the design and how this was done?

What should Philip Kraczkowski done differently?

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:

@BillJones said:
    I was going to put out an exhibit of the presidential inaugural medals from 1901 to 1961 at the FUN show. I was going to do it at the Summer FUN show, but that was called off too.

I believe you are incorrect. According to the FUN website funtopics.com, it appears Summer FUN is still on, scheduled to start July 8th.

Summer FUN 2020 was canceled. That was the show to which I referred.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
    edited December 22, 2020 2:54PM

@BillJones said:

Summer FUN 2020 was canceled. That was the show to which I referred.

“Oh, I see” said the blind man. When you indicated you were going to have that lovely exhibit at the FUN show, but didn’t because it was cancelled, and was going to do it at the Summer FUN show, but that was cancelled too, I had thought you were referring to both of those shows in 2021. My misunderstanding.

Steve

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog said:

@koynekwest said:
    This has gotten much too far off the track. Time for it to disappear now.

Why? What’s the problem? I don’t see a single reason to remove this thread.

It's become inordinately political, with several posters posting their political views of the different individuals concerned. Let's just stick to the numismatic perspectives and remove the politicization thereof. Opinions should be limited to those numismatic perspectives. I could post my opinions but that would just exacerbate things so therefore I won't post them. By the posted RULES threads here on this NUMISMATIC website are out of order. Let's enforce those rules, PCGS.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,204 ✭✭✭✭✭

tyvm

HE>I

This discussion has been closed.