Home U.S. Coin Forum

What's The Most Valuable Coin You Ever Held?

PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't had the opportunity to go to any shows that have this sorta bling, so I was thunderstruck to have been shown this coin at a B&M I frequent. Saw this gem today. :p

Comments

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not sure. Maybe a F12 1794 dollar with strike thru. I can’t remember what it sold for at auction where I viewed it. I’ve seen more expensive stuff without being able to hold it.

I’m reluctant to ask to hold very expensive stuff since I figure most dealers don’t want someone to handle merchandise they have no intention of buying.

• rec78rec78 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

1804 Silver Dollar

• CoinPhysicistCoinPhysicist Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭

Just go to any major coin show, walk up to the HA or Stacks booth, be nice and ask to hold something. They will let you. I've held a bunch of multi million dollar coins over the past years doing that. The Eliasberg 1913 Nickel and 1804 Dexter Dollar come to mind as two I've held that way, I'm sure there are more.

Successful transactions with: wondercoin, Tetromibi, PerryHall, PlatinumDuck, JohnMaben/Pegasus Coin & Jewelry, CoinFlip, and coinlieutenant.

• bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

I usually don't hold anything I can't afford. The most I have spent on a coin was $600. I had to save for that. Lol I still pick it up and hold it once in a while. Lol

• PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2020 10:35PM

An 1871-S I believe it graded PCGS MS66

I miss read the title
    Two coins I have had in my hands are the following:
    the 1913 V nickel and the 1804 Dollar that are in the ANA collection with Larry Shephard

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

1870-S $3 gold, Bass specimen (then again, it's unique)

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably not the most expensive EVER but I do remember in great detail a 1916 SLQ in MS 65 FH.

I almost bought it!!!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

I owned a MS 64 1883-S Morgan dollar back in the early 2000's ! Nice coin! 🙂

Ken
  • PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2020 7:51PM

Here in Canada held a 1936 dot dime (only 5 known) specimen 66 worth about 250k and a 1921 50 cent (the king of Canadian coins with about 75 known) in MS-65 worth about 225k. For Canadian coins not many top those 2. Only the 1936 dot penny (3 known) and 1911 dollar (3 known) would or a 1921 50 cent in MS 66 or MS67.

Collecting interests: Mexico & Peru early milled 1 reales + 1796-1891 US dimes

Sports: NHL & NFL

Thank you Lord for another beautiful day!!!

• BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bruce’s 1794 dollar. Wow!

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • NSPNSP Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭✭

The most valuable coin I’ve ever held is a 1909 VDB PF65RB wheat penny. Someone had brought it to the coin club I attend and was casually showing it off. I was shocked when I realized what it was! It’s not every day that someone nonchalantly passes around a $30,000 coin.

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS 18th Century US gold eagle.

• OrlenaOrlena Posts: 300 ✭✭✭

Yikes. I think for me the palladium eagles and maybe a 1911D quarter eagle MS 66 is it. I’ve seen plenty of beauties at the Long Beach show but I’d be afraid to touch a 30k coin

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2020 7:06AM

I’ve held a few Stellas, and Brasher doubloon, but the most fun were a few raw, (some unique) pieces that Harlan Berk showed me in his office. He encouraged me to pick them up & enjoy them. It was a real treat. Handling raw 6 and 7-figure coins is something else.

• kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmm! A MS 64 Round Pan Pac $50 gold peice.. A dream coin since I was a kid

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2020 11:39PM

Nice to see the raw coin in hand photos, just like how coins were meant to be handled.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

A 1856 flying eagle cent ms 62bn. It was nice to do that

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny9434 said:

Flying eagle cents don’t receive color designations.😉

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2020 12:57PM

While working at Heritage over the years I held the Mickley and Amon Carter 1804 Original silver dollars, two 1927-D double eagles, a Brasher doubloon, and the George Walton 1913 Liberty nickel, as well as Don Partrick's 1792 Birch cent, that one was MS65 Star RB NGC CAC, one of the most spectacular coins I've ever seen. But I also had at different times, I think, pretty much all of Dr. Duckor's double eagle collection and his Barber halves on my desk. I couldn't say offhand which of those sold for the most; it doesn't much matter to me. But I was lucky to see and write about a great many wonderful coins.

(Edited to correct Birch cent grade and add photo.)

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

A Sommer Island Shilling

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have had the opportunity to handle a few high dollar coins at shows... Mostly gold Double Eagles... I do not recall the exact ones.... Been thirteen years since I have been to a coin show. It is a thrill to actually hold some of these treasures. I have not had the pleasure/honor of holding any of the amazing coins shown here. Cheers, RickO

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think JK @airplanenut blew everyone else out of the water. :)

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • valente151valente151 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this one is valuable or invaluable?

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2020 8:00AM

Not that exciting ... An 1876-CC Twenty Cent Piece in Choice Mint State. The grade number was 64 or 65. The asking price was $600,000, which I thought was a bit high.

I have seen most of the famous rarities through glass in cases.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2020 9:10AM

1913 Liberty Head Nickel ...
    Fast forward to 4:15 ... oops!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBdg0ndQTOM

• BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cardinal said:

Yea, that is the time I got to look at it but I didn’t get the photo opp. Thanks for including me in the party. A numismatic highlight for me!

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the raw ... no picture, but I was helping out a dealer in 1991/1992 ?? that took in a gem raw Pan-Pac set with all the original paperwork and in the original box.

It was a really cool sight to behold, with a felt lined case and a all kinds of original paperwork. I think back and I don't even remember a lot of it, because it was just so overwhelming to me. Just an amazing experience at the time.

He decided to have them all graded, and before they left, I was able to hold each of them and have a quick study with a glass. Not sure I had ever been as nervous handling raw coins ... before or since.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • VeepVeep Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭

Know a guy not far from me who has been amassing one of the best (if not THE best) SLQ collections in the world. He’s shown me several of his pieces including a 1916 pattern that had auctioned for something like $165-180K.

"Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1943-D Copper Lincoln . . . . in my hands.

Drunner

• OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not in my hand's but I spent 15 minutes with the Eliasberg 1913 Liberty Nickel at Long Beach years ago.......It was Sunday at the end of the show and I had it all to myself..........the guards weren't even around and everyone still there was packing up, so it was Just me and that Nickel up on that horseshoe podium.......so for a few brief minutes it was MINE MINE MINE :smiley: then I had to say goodbye...........................A friend of mine's Dad had passed away and he had quite a collection of mostly Gold and had consigned it out but he kept a SLQ that was in a cheap 2x2 and on the 2X2 it said DON'T SELL and he asked me about it......at that time I suggested he get it graded and slabbed because it was a 1927 S and I conservatively felt it was an easy MS65 and it did have a FH and figured it was worth about 50 G's at that time 25 years ago..........it's price guided today at about 200 G's

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@johnny9434 said:

Flying eagle cents don’t receive color designations.😉

Got it 🙂

• acsbacsb Posts: 143 ✭✭✭

I gotta get that shirt that Mr. Nut is wearing...

• goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

I held one of the very best 1792 Half Dismes ,at a show, a few years ago.

• TomthemailcarrierTomthemailcarrier Posts: 631 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2020 1:33PM

1913 Liberty Head Nickel. Philadelphia, PA

• clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

17-S (reverse) walker in ms66 i bought raw.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I was 16, my Grandfather Paris, who owned a country store in Southern WV showed me his most prized possession, an 1852 Territorial $50 Octagonal Gold Piece which NGC calls an Assay Office Slug. It was worn but you could still read the writing on the obverse(the reverse was worn but had no writing on it, just some design) It was really heavy to hold for a coin.
    I was so excited, as I had never held any gold coin much less something like this. Have no idea what it would be worth in any grade today, but I feel it would be many times what I have ever held afterwards. Paris died in 1978, I was 30 years old at the time, he had hidden away in the house many, many silver coins in a pickle jar($957 to be exact and a 25# nail keg of pennies(all wheat). The family divided these up and my Dad and I got $320 face value silver and my brother-in-law(ugh) got the pennies, but not a sign of the gold piece. I had a greedy aunt at the time who said he never had such a coin, so I feel I know where it went, but not really of my business as it was not promised to me. I have never held one since, but have had a dream of such.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RKKay said:
    Images courtesy of National Numismatic Collection (SI).
    https://app.photobucket.com/u/rkkay13/p/4268ac6d-a76a-4b3c-a464-548931191180?mode=zoom

Link isn't working for me... but I hope you liked your cameo in the photo I put up!

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

@acsb said:
    I gotta get that shirt that Mr. Nut is wearing...

Not sure where you can get it, but 16 years later I’m still wearing it...

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭

@airplanenut said:

@RKKay said:
    https://app.photobucket.com/u/rkkay13/p/4268ac6d-a76a-4b3c-a464-548931191180?mode=zoom

Link isn't working for me... but I hope you liked your cameo in the photo I put up!

I didn't see it. Where?

@RKKay said:

@airplanenut said:

@RKKay said:

I didn't see it. Where?

Scroll up!

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2020 6:16PM

@clarkbar04 said:
    17-S (reverse) walker in ms66 i bought raw.

Did you have it graded and slabbed??

Would LOVE to see some images!!!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

A friend's Stella

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file