Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

End of World War II 75th Anniversary American Eagle Silver Proof (20XF) & Gold Proof Coin (20XE)

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kliao said:

@DelawareDoons said:
    I spoke with a fellow who has been using bots to snag these. He has 4 golds, 20 silvers en route or delivered to his various mailboxes.

What!?!?! I’m trying to get 1 gold!

get a bot :)

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons said:
    I spoke with a fellow who has been using bots to snag these. He has 4 golds, 20 silvers en route or delivered to his various mailboxes.

Some people literally make a living doing this. The mint needs to abandon the current methodology and find something new.

Incredible. So, he's been using them for the post first day releases? Infuriating.

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons said:

Some people literally make a living doing this. The mint needs to abandon the current methodology and find something new.

Wow, he just made an average person's yearly salary in just a couple of weeks. Hey, when you get a copy of the bot can you forward a copy over to me also?

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Batman23 said:

@DelawareDoons said:

Wow, he just made an average person's yearly salary in just a couple of weeks. Hey, when you get a copy of the bot can you forward a copy over to me also?

He does this all the time with various hot releases, heavily on sneakers, but also stuff like Pokemon, Magic, other collectables that try to drive hype with low production runs. He has a web server and a VPN and simply changes IP addresses every purchase, as well as having about two dozen PO Boxes.

He seems to make a pretty good living, his profile picture is him next to a 7 series BMW.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2020 7:35AM

Me in the morning for the past 2 weeks:

Me...while climbing back into bed, "Sons of bit**es stole my coin!"

My wife, rolling over, "They'll be more coins tomorrow, little Richard."

• Options
    JeffMJeffM Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like all the Mayflower sets and coins are about gone.

• Options

The Mint is making enough money to send everyone in this country a nice stimulus check.

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2020 7:58AM

Send me the bot guys email address, maybe I have some friends that could complicate his life a bit...if what he is doing is against the law as it relates to using bots with the mint. Him using a vpn is no show stopper.

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    bigolebigole Posts: 385 ✭✭✭

I'm sure he is laughing at all of us dinosaurs trying to quickly make our mouse clicks, while he is in and out in less than a second...........

• Options

@RichR said:
    Me in the morning for the past 2 weeks:

Me...while climbing back into bed, "Sons of bit**es stole my coin!"

My wife, rolling over, "They'll be more coins tomorrow, little Richard."

Anyone says "little Richard" to me while we're in bed gets divorced!

• Options

@JeffM said:
    The Mint is making enough money to send everyone in this country a nice stimulus check.

Actually, they generally lose money on these issues. The tooling production costs are too high to make them profitable on short runs.

• Options
    Danno44Danno44 Posts: 172 ✭✭✭

After the mint refreshed their page, my gold coin was removed from my bag.....
    I could of purchased all the mayflower series at 9:30 but passed on them.

• Options

@Mgarmy said:
    Send me the bot guys email address, maybe I have some friends that could complicate his life a bit...if what he is doing is against the law as it relates to using bots with the mint. Him using a vpn is no show stopper.

He is bypassing a retail seller's house hold limit rule. But I cannot imagine there is a law violation that took place using a bot to make a purchase.

• Options

@Rooster1 said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@Batman23 said:

@DelawareDoons said:

He does this all the time with various hot releases, heavily on sneakers, but also stuff like Pokemon, Magic, other collectables that try to drive hype with low production runs. He has a web server and a VPN and simply changes IP addresses every purchase, as well as having about two dozen PO Boxes.

He seems to make a pretty good living, his profile picture is him next to a 7 series BMW.

Just think about it, if this guy can do it, there's probably 100's of others doing the same thing.
    Just look at ebay where these coins are being sold and the sellers mostly have a history of selling sneakers, hot wheels, popular clothes and toys.

Yes, it's the buyer's clubs. They discovered coins in the last couple of years.

• Options
    edited November 17, 2020 8:08AM

Using crowd sourcing like the one we discussed earlier is not against the law. However I am going to see what justice dept thinks about using bots against a us gov web site. Might just be considered hacking😃. Depending on how many times they have done it, might meet the threshold for a little lookse. It is worth a shot.

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

People feel so left out on the v75’s they just want to get in on anything now that is moderately low mintage from the mint and doing the happy dance when they get it.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Raufus Congrats! Great looking coin! Did you UPS guy follow your instructions on your door? ;)

Looks like my chances are dwindling but I’ll never stop until it says sold out! :)

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options

@Mgarmy said:
    Using crowd sourcing like the one we discussed earlier is not against the law. However I am going to see what justice dept thinks about using bots against a us gov web site. Might just be considered hacking😃. Depending on how many times they have done it, might meet the threshold for a little lookse. It is worth a shot.

They will not give a shit.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    foraiurforaiur Posts: 134 ✭✭✭

This is why we shouldn't want them to deliver to po boxes or to trickle them out day by day. The best chance for the average buyer is all inventory at one time. And if there ends up being additional inventory hold it for a second release down the line.

• Options

Congrats RAUFUS!!!!!!!

• Options
    Rooster1Rooster1 Posts: 381 ✭✭✭

@Raufus said:
    After SO much effort, frustration and time my V75 AGE just arrived.

I never thought that I'd get one. What a lucky break last Thursday. When fractions of a second count I can only be incredibly grateful to finally own this coin. All that went into it will make it all the more meaningful.

It will never be sold in my lifetime. I am so grateful for all the the tips and support of my fellow forum members. My most sincere wishes of luck to the collectors who have yet to get one being shut out by flippers.

I've started out so many days incredibly frustrated by this coin. What a wonderful change from frustration to joy today.

Finally!

Congrats Raufus, beautiful coin

Successful deals with:Ciccio-Nibanny, Wondercoin, Republicaninmass, Utahcoin, Abitofthisabitofthat, Doubleeagles59, Peaceman
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2020 8:13AM

@DelawareDoons said:

@Mgarmy said:

They will not give a shit.

Probably right but I have seen investigations started for less. Treasury might take a dim view. Cannot hurt it is just an email and a phone call. Already emailed a buddy in CISA to get his take.

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why were the Mayflower coins offered before noon?

Not that I was interested...but since when is a morning offering a thing?

• Options

@RichR said:

I think it was to let the British collectors that want an American set more a chance to get one as it’ll be late at night for them.

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kliao said:
    @Raufus Congrats! Great looking coin! Did you UPS guy follow your instructions on your door? ;)

Looks like my chances are dwindling but I’ll never stop until it says sold out! :)

Same here with the V75 ASE

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RichR said:

uk peeps

• Options

@foraiur said:
    This is why we shouldn't want them to deliver to po boxes or to trickle them out day by day. The best chance for the average buyer is all inventory at one time. And if there ends up being additional inventory hold it for a second release down the line.

Some of us only receive our mail delivered to a PO Box. USPS does not provide home delivery in my town as well as many of the towns around me. Post office boxes are free, one per household, because of this.

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kliao said:

Indeed he did. I RAN up the stairs but my wife already had it.

This one didn't quit until the end.

I called the Mint last night to ask why it was marked shipped hours earlier yet it hadn't moved. She said she'd look in the back system. After a long hold she said that she saw that the funding source was initially denied (no idea how, I checked several times right after placing the order). My heart sank. I was like it will be cancelled???? Another hold, minutes that seemed forever and she said that she saw that the backup funding was approved and all was good. Don't get that either. Jeeez.

I have a tight schedule today. Can't be home other days. Was staying home for this. About 07:00 I got a delivery exception delay notice. I called UPS. They said that the plane was delayed. She said that they'd try to deliver, likely tomorrow. She said not to worry, there would be three attempts before they'd send it back. YIKES! I know that I can call to have it held but not reassuring.

Then, the online tracking moved again back to the original time.

At around 09:30 the bell rang :-)

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options

@Raufus said:

@Kliao said:

Indeed he did. I RAN up the stairs but my wife already had it.

This one didn't quit until the end.

I called the Mint last night to ask why it was marked shipped hours earlier yet it hadn't moved. She said she'd look in the back system. After a long hold she said that she saw that the funding source was initially denied (no idea how, I checked several times right after placing the order). My heart sank. I was like it will be cancelled???? Another hold, minutes that seemed forever and she said that she saw that the backup funding was approved and all was good. Don't get that either. Jeeez.

I have a tight schedule today. Can't be home other days. Was staying home for this. About 07:00 I got a delivery exception delay notice. I called UPS. They said that the plane was delayed. She said that they'd try to deliver, likely tomorrow. She said not to worry, there would be three attempts before they'd send it back. YIKES! I know that I can call to have it held but not reassuring.

Then, the online tracking moved again back to the original time.

At around 09:30 the bell rang :-)

What a roller coaster ride you’ve have with this coin. The important thing is that it arrived safe and sound at the end.

• Options
    jerseyralphjerseyralph Posts: 115 ✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons said:

@Batman23 said:

@DelawareDoons said:

What if the US Mint didn't allow PO Box addresses as a valid address? That might screw up some legitimate buyers but I would think it would also impact these BOT buyers.

Only time will tell whether platinum is king.
  • Options

@jerseyralph said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@Batman23 said:

@DelawareDoons said:

What if the US Mint didn't allow PO Box addresses as a valid address? That might screw up some legitimate buyers but I would think it would also impact these BOT buyers.

The bot guys would just move to using street addresses and paying friends/family to hold the stuff for them until they could get it.

• Options

The goal isn't to get rid of bots. The goal is to distribute your inventory to the maximum numbers of unique individuals. They did a good job this time with the initial release as evidenced by the high number of people here who got a gold or silver compared to the 19' high demand release.

• Options
    fox9487fox9487 Posts: 282 ✭✭✭

@Kliao said:

@RichR said:

I think it was to let the British collectors that want an American set more a chance to get one as it’ll be late at night for them.

"late at night" Just how many hours ahead do you think they are? lol

Successful Transactions: Coinflip, bp777, firstspousecoins, Akbeez, jmlanzaf, JWP
  • Options

Not sure we know how many individual users got them (at least the gold) not sure there is even a way to know

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@foraiur said:
    The goal isn't to get rid of bots. The goal is to distribute your inventory to the maximum numbers of unique individuals. They did a good job this time with the initial release as evidenced by the high number of people here who got a gold or silver compared to the 19' high demand release.

Serious question: why not try to block the 'bots'?

"Order limits help us ensure that we provide fair purchase opportunities to the broadest audience possible."

Whether the 'bot' gets 1 or 10, the 'bot' is faster than a human. This means the the "purchase opportunity" is not the same for every potential buyer.

• Options

They do try and they were pretty successful with the initial release. You just don't want to forgot the goal is getting coins to unique individuals who want to buy them. If your goal becomes blocking bots you will end up doing many things that make the buying process excruciating for the average person. This is about trade offs. I personally think they did a great job with the initial and then have screwed up the subsequent days. Random time releases and trickling out inventory is what we don't want because it favors people using automated means.

• Options

Just read that to combat sneaker bots, sneaker makers considering a lottery

• Options

The Mayflower coins were another fast seller. The UK offered 500 gold sets (same coins), and those sold out quickly too.

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@foraiur said:
    They do try and they were pretty successful with the initial release. You just don't want to forgot the goal is getting coins to unique individuals who want to buy them. If your goal becomes blocking bots you will end up doing many things that make the buying process excruciating for the average person. This is about trade offs. I personally think they did a great job with the initial and then have screwed up the subsequent days. Random time releases and trickling out inventory is what we don't want because it favors people using automated means.

Agreed. In my mind, however, 'bots' antithetical to this goal, as they tend to purchase multiples (e.g., the DelawareDoons example). This is why I believe that the Mint has to continue to work on controlling the 'bots'.

Great point about minimizing the impact on human buyers. Also agree with your points about the subsequent releases.

• Options

The bot users loaded up eBay already on the Mayflower gold sets. This is so sick.

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭

@JeffM said:
    The bot users loaded up eBay already on the Mayflower gold sets. This is so sick.

Reminds me of the Columbus set in 1992. Goes for melt.

• Options
    CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭

Really hate to say it- I predicted the Mayflowers would sell out (go unavailable) this morning. But I surely didn’t count on the Bot Wars. This is taking the air out of it for me. The hobby my dad got me into years ago is turning into a fiasco for new mint issues.

"What we are never changes, but who we are ... never stops changing."
  • Options
    Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

@JeffM said:

Doubt they used bots. Those are just the flippers who discovered the mint site through this and think everything limited thing they sell is profitable.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file