Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

End of World War II 75th Anniversary American Eagle Silver Proof (20XF) & Gold Proof Coin (20XE)

Comments

• Options
    Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

@Mgarmy said:
    Just read that to combat sneaker bots, sneaker makers considering a lottery

Not sure why people keep thinking this is better. I’d bet few of us would ever win one. The people who have all these credit cards and addresses set up for their bots would just flood the lottery. Maybe if they required a photo ID to be uploaded for each entry could help make sure there is an actual human tied to each entry. But it’d be slim chances of winning with all that would enter.

• Options
    cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sales numbers through Sunday night...

2020 75TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE END OF WWII 24K 1/2 OZ GOLD PROOF 7,443
    2020 75TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE END OF WWII 1 OZ SILVER MEDAL 19,972

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2020 9:52AM

Did some research. Looks like a bot cost around 300 bucks. You download the software but appears centrally managed. Would not even consider it but the sneaker people appear to be doing this as a job. Reminds me of the infancy of DFS

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    Weather11amWeather11am Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

Is it against the mint’s terms of service to use a bot?

• Options

I thought so.

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options

1,912 AGE sold through 11/15/20
    74,967 ASE sold through 11/15/20 per US Mint sales figures.

Thought gold would be higher by now.

• Options

Wow there are a lot more v75 AGE left than I thought

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sales numbers have dropped.

Gold privy 1912 (33 left)
    Silver privy 74967 (33 left)

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weather11am said:

I skimmed it, but did not see anything.

Link: https://catalog.usmint.gov/terms.html

• Options

@MetroD said:

@Weather11am said:

I skimmed it, but did not see anything.

Link: https://catalog.usmint.gov/terms.html

Just did a key word search of the list for Bot, Robot. No mention of either.

Collector

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2020 10:20AM

It must have been a sight to see all 1945 V75 AGEs sitting in location HV-007-05-B. 33 still there it seems.

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

So you're telling me I'm getting up early for the rest of the week?

• Options
    JeffMJeffM Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2020 10:33AM

@RichR said:

Maybe the rest of the year the way this is all dragged out. But remember, you're fighting the bots!

• Options

@RichR said:

Yup! :)

Collector

• Options
    ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 737 ✭✭✭✭✭

So how does one compete with a bot checking out multiple times per second starting at 730am? With the address populated there is still a minimum of 3 clicks (3s) to get the order in. Paypal, final review, submit.

Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.
  • Options
    PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2020 11:00AM

Thought you all might appreciate this...

Moses parting the bot sea...

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2020 11:06AM

Fighting the Bots? Maybe I'll call Sarah Connor!!!

...or Neo!

• Options
    batumibatumi Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@JeffM said:
    The Mint is making enough money to send everyone in this country a nice stimulus check.

Actually, they generally lose money on these issues. The tooling production costs are too high to make them profitable on short runs.

Poor way to run any business. Promote money losing 'rarities' while astronomically hiking prices-silver and bronze issues-infuriating their core customers. Appears the USM needs a good clean-up.

• Options

I think I may only collect coins from Antarctica. I wonder if they are plagued by bots, too (in addition to penguins)?

• Options

Damn penguins!

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

@batumi said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@JeffM said:
    The Mint is making enough money to send everyone in this country a nice stimulus check.

Actually, they generally lose money on these issues. The tooling production costs are too high to make them profitable on short runs.

Poor way to run any business. Promote money losing 'rarities' while astronomically hiking prices-silver and bronze issues-infuriating their core customers. Appears the USM needs a good clean-up.

It's not a business. It's also mostly not the Mint's fault. Congress tells them what to make.

• Options
    coinercoiner Posts: 431 ✭✭✭

the idea is to discourage the "newbies who are in it only for the flip" who didnt even know what a gold eagle was until yesterday......are out of the mix in the first few mins

• Options

@coiner said:
    The best way to handle is by lottery. A simple set of rules, or qualifications, could be employed-but not necessary. Something like "US Mint Account holders for more than 3 years are eligible for the first 15 mins, open season afterwards. Or some sort of a VIP club based on years having an active account can buy first - sort of like a preview.

I like this, and it seems fair to me. I had been buying coins from the Mint for over 30 years and have gotten shut out lately by the bots. This is not the right way to treat a loyal customer.

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mgarmy said:

V75 ASE, I will keep trying...

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options

@ECHOES I can't remember, did you got a gold and trying to get a silver now or are you only interested in the sliver?

Collector

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kliao said:
    @ECHOES I can't remember, did you got a gold and trying to get a silver now or are you only interested in the sliver?

Silver only, I collect the Uncirculated ASE's, unless something special, then I will go for a proof.

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just sent my gold and silver off to PCGS.

Gold - looks either 69/70. There's one tiny spot that I couldn't tell if it's on the holder or the coin.
    Silver - ehh....it's gonna be encapsulated. We'll see what they do with it. Not a great coin.

Will post results/pics when grades pop.

• Options

My silver 75 got there today. Not in the system yet but received notification it was picked up

• Options

How are you guys sending the AGE to PCGS, registered mail?

• Options
    matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dollar2007 said:

Loose in an envelope to save a few bucks? :D

I shipped my silver off in the same box sent to me from the mint. I did not bother to include the superfluous mint packaging of course and used an exacto knife to hollow out the right size hole in the styrofoam. The coin in the plastic mint case fit nicely secured.

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dollar2007 said:

https://www.pcgs.com/packageandmailcoins

• Options

Put the mint box in another box thread tapped it all corners closed boom off to our host two day delivery

• Options

My theory is the later you submit the
    More they have to compare against and the harder it is to pull a 70

• Options
    OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭

MetroD...are you a Detroit native? Also, you have been very helpful to us un-initiated to help make submissions for grading much more easy. I assume you work for PCGS.

• Options

• Options

@Mgarmy said:
    Put the mint box in another box thread tapped it all corners closed boom off to our host two day delivery

Thank you and to the other posters. I know how to package it but will probably just send registered mail. Seems safest to me still. Since I have $2600 invested in this plus potential appreciation.

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coiner said:
    A friend was successful this morning for an AGE v75. Rest assured "not a bot" , but rather a human being with PAYPAL pay method.
    So, maybe, the bots aren't so successful every time. Especially when item is already loaded to the cart with a "one click" place order.

I am aware of one that was successful yesterday morning during the freezing issue. By hand with CC entry and not using Paypal or bots.

However my attempt at a silver this morning shows that things are happening super quick. After the ASE showed available I could not even add it to the bag. Not even one click worth of time for me, let alone several clicks plus data entry plus "processing" time inside the bag. The end has to be near. Fighting bots doesn't help and makes you think its time wasted competing for the few that remain.

I sure would like to know how many are left for grabs after this morning's blip.

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting responses. Good idea at first, just not the desired results for sure. I think it would also be devastating if they tried to fix this mess by minting another batch of these. Not sure if that is possible or not but seems like the 75,000 mintage ASE in the congratulation set a few years back ended up with a higher mintage made later.

• Options

@Batman23 said:
    I sure would like to know how many are left for grabs after this morning's blip.

31 at most if they sold 1 in the past 2 days. I would guess 15-20 probably. It was interesting that 11 went back in stock between 11-13 and 11-15.

Collector

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2020 4:04PM

@JeffM said:

@coiner said:
    The best way to handle is by lottery. A simple set of rules, or qualifications, could be employed-but not necessary. Something like "US Mint Account holders for more than 3 years are eligible for the first 15 mins, open season afterwards. Or some sort of a VIP club based on years having an active account can buy first - sort of like a preview.

I like this, and it seems fair to me. I had been buying coins from the Mint for over 30 years and have gotten shut out lately by the bots. This is not the right way to treat a loyal customer.

I've got news for you, there are a LOT of long-term flippers. There are also thousands of long-time Mint account holders who hardly ever buy anything.

Everyone who proposes a solution, proposes one that they think favors themselves. At the same time, that will create all kinds of unhappy people who aren't favored by the terms of your lottery - including many new non-flipping collectors.

The Mint also has 500,000 accounts. You may well entice people to buy to flip by letting them in the door for an item they wouldn't normally buy and who don't want to play the game we've been playing.

[Disclaimer: I've been buying from the Mint for going on 25 years. I flip 98% of everything I buy from them. I have 3 active buying accounts that are at least 4 years old and a network of buyers who have accounts that are 4 or 5 years old. Bring on the lottery.]

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

What time did they come up this morning? 7:45?

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options

Yep

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file