• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

Missed out again.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2020 8:21AM

@felinfoel said:
    Updates on Dan's site. Circulated versions of his Flying Eagle and Native Head cents are available again.

Thanks for the heads up!

I picked up a war nickel this round which is still available.

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cheezhed said:
    Missed out again.

DJD.

I got notified Las night around 9:20pm. Order placed by 9:55pm. Posted a few notices on the forum, went back to check around 10:30pm and saw that a couple of the additional items had already sold out.

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey @Bullsitter -- remember this Merlin?

The holder says "antiqued" but it's nothing like Chief's earlier posting (KCT2016AG1) -- his is much darker. If it's not antiqued, I'm at a loss as to what variety it is. All the reverses were proof-like except the antiqued. This piece's reverse is not PL, maybe a lighter antiquing? Color plated maybe? I don't have anything else to compare it with, as these came out before my time. Thoughts are welcomed!

Also, this piece has provenance. IIRC, it was a favorite piece held by the KOTCT (treasurer?) when all the medals were dispersed to club members in 2016. It was later sold to Chief who sold it to me.

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options

@Zoins said:

@felinfoel said:
    Updates on Dan's site. Circulated versions of his Flying Eagle and Native Head cents are available again.

Thanks for the heads up!

I picked up a war nickel this round which is still available.

Sheesh, after you posted this, I went back and added one to the order I placed last night. I think I got the last one as as soon as I paid, they showed not available.

I'm leading a charmed life this week.

Z

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Akbeez said:
    Hey @Bullsitter -- remember this Merlin?

The holder says "antiqued" but it's nothing like Chief's earlier posting (KCT2016AG1) -- his is much darker. If it's not antiqued, I'm at a loss as to what variety it is. All the reverses were proof-like except the antiqued. This piece's reverse is not PL, maybe a lighter antiquing? Color plated maybe? I don't have anything else to compare it with, as these came out before my time. Thoughts are welcomed!

Also, this piece has provenance. IIRC, it was a favorite piece held by the KOTCT (treasurer?) when all the medals were dispersed to club members in 2016. It was later sold to Chief who sold it to me.

That one is the Antiqued Plated, mintage of 6.

From Dan's site:

“AN Plate” = Selective Plating (gold/rhodium) on antiqued finish.

All those Merlin's are tough finds.

• Options

Yep, I was able to get a 1857 Circulated Native-Head this morning. I missed it the first time so feeling lucky today.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unbelievable how these get "hoovered" up! I wanted one of the Indians circulated but guess that not to be. I have maybe one circulated overstrike - of the Peace dollar type.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

I must be dreaming, but I received a shipping notice earlier today on both the orders I placed Friday night and Saturday . . . .

• Options

Your crap is obviously holy!! HaHa @ZoidMeister !!

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2020 12:43AM

2014 Moonlight Mint Lesher Dollar - Type 2 - Knights of the Coin Table #002

This is available now. I can't pick it up right now but perhaps someone here can?

I have a bunch of Dan's Lesher Dollars, but mine are all blank without imprint.

• Options

@Zoins said:

This is available now. I can't pick it up right now but perhaps someone here can?

@GRANDAM

I'll vouch for you @Zoins -- consider it SOLD. Put me down Gary! :)

• Options
    edited November 2, 2020 1:20AM

@Akbeez said:

@Zoins said:

@GRANDAM

I'll vouch for you @Zoins -- consider it SOLD. Put me down Gary! :)

Awesome! Glad it went to a forum member. And fast too! :+1:

• Options

1 of 3 awaited packages . . .

Z

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

The above Lesher Dollar is mine. It is still for sale as the deal fell through. if interested contact me here.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2020 6:16AM

At ANACS being graded, I'm guessing 58, 55, 58.

• Options
    edited November 4, 2020 1:26PM

ANACS has a new special, 12 for $119.......FALL FRENZY.

Each additional piece after 12...$10

• Options
    felinfoelfelinfoel Posts: 391 ✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:
    ANACS has a new special, 12 for $119.......FALL FRENZY.

Thanks for the heads-up! I was waiting for a special before I sent the next batch.

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

BU FE just went dark.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 4, 2020 6:05PM

@Zoins said:

@Akbeez said:

For those interested in this, I've made some progress.

Also, I own both PrivateMintNews.com and Numismapedia.com. What name do you like better? Private Mint News has the advantage of being more focused but Numismapedia is a bit more broad and would let me cover my other interests like toners, patterns and Mint medals.

Whoa @Zoins - that's quite the manifesto(s) you have started!! ;) Will take some time to digest, but greatly appreciate your efforts to document these interesting pieces. I can only imagine the daunting task at cataloging/interpreting many or all the D Carr issues. How many different types/varieties has he produced to date?

Thanks! It's definitely a labor of love which has taken many years to even get to this state. There's still much to do but several avenues of effort are coming together now.

As to how many different types and varieties? I'd say a lot as he's an artist and loves to experiment! And that's one reason for this effort. There's so many wonderful pieces that we each have but it's hard to keep track of them all. Check out this overstrike page. Think about all the pieces out there without photos!

I just added two more of mine as an experiment. As you can see, the page content for both of these is very similar so I'll need to decide what to do. There will probably be a "type" page and a "specimen" page. The Type could be like a CoinFacts Coin Number page in which case one consider is whether all metals and finishes should be grouped together.

There's a bunch of info on those pages regarding the Colorado Springs Coin Club, the direction of the Palmer Statue, etc.

Here are the photos for those that don't want to go to those pages :)

2012 Colorado Springs Coin Club 50th anniversary medal - Antiqued Copper with Select Gold Plate

This one is mine and the earliest piece I've seen with selective gold plate. By 2013 this became more commonplace with the Moonlight Mint Open House strikes.

2012 Colorado Springs Coin Club 50th anniversary medal - Antiqued Brass

This one is a brass specimen with what Dan called matte finish and patina. Today, I'm guessing we'd call it antiqued.

I have been watching this set on Ebay for several months. I wanted to get it but thought the price may drop.
    Then I saw yours @Zoins and the dark contrast of the copper one really looked superb! I was hoping that this one
    would also have that contrast but it does not.
    It is nonetheless nice looking.... and although it hasn't been stored in the original flips, nor did it come with it
    they both are taking on some toning where the flips covers were open to air.
    I'm guessing this is the satin finish sets? .............Or perhaps Matte??
    Maybe someone can help me out here with regards to finish and mintage.

• Options
    edited November 4, 2020 7:03PM

@coinsarefun

Here is the information you seek.

Yours look like they might be copper matte with gilt (top) and brass matte with gilt (bottom).

According to the report, there were only 5 copper matte given the selective gold and 7 brass matte given the selective gold gilt.

The dark piece Zoins has is Antiqued Copper with gilt.

Pretty rare pieces IMHO.

Z

• Options
    edited November 4, 2020 7:05PM

I've got the standard brass and copper pieces and one with the gold gilt - the silver proof like. There's 88 others of these floating around out there.

Z

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister said:

Yours look like they might be copper matte with gilt (top) and brass matte with gilt (bottom).

According to the report, there were only 5 copper matte given the selective gold and 7 brass matte given the selective gold gilt.

The dark piece Zoins has is Antiqued Copper with gilt.

Pretty rare pieces IMHO.

Z

. Thanks, I was thinking mine might be both matte finish with gold gilt as they really don’t look satin.
    So, even though I didn’t get the antique finish as I hoped I might still have a lower mintage set then.

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2020 6:09AM

@ZoidMeister said:
    Something that has been in the works for quite a while just arrived today.

Never thought that I could own one of these.

Z

Congrats!

That's the proof-like clashed 1964-D Morgan die pair 2, right?

Mintage just 99.

Also, although it's not mentioned on Dan's blog, there are cameo versions. Maybe all cameo? Or many? Or some? Or just a few? Maybe Dan remembers.

Anyway, yours looks like a cameo. Mine definitely is...

Interestingly, the clashed High-Grade version (die pair 1) has the lowest mintage (84) of all the 1964 Morgans. And surprisingly, there are 2 on ebay right now (not mine).

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    edited November 5, 2020 5:05AM

Great info @ZoidMeister :)

What I want to know is who are the FOUR NUMIGOS! It's a great name :):+1:

"0) Palmer portrait die paired with vintage 1907 Colorado Springs wreath die.
    Edge-marked: “THE FOUR NUMIGOS”.

• Options
    edited November 5, 2020 9:46AM

@Zoins said:
    Great info @ZoidMeister :)

What I want to know is who are the FOUR NUMIGOS! It's a great name :):+1:

I suspect that Zoins is one of them, but I've been wrong before . . . .

Z

• Options

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cry ?

• Options

@Kudbegud said:
    Cry ?

Not much, but some liberal use of "perfectly good English" was uttered . . .

Z

• Options

Thank you, I'm glad they are in a good home and btw, that presentation box is cool.... B)

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Downtown1974
    Treated like collectable art pieces deserve. Bravo to you Sir.

• Options

@PRIZ430 said:
    The 1964 Peace Dollar total production was 1,964

I was/am confused about the total number produced of the Carr 1964 D Peace dollar . The original run ended in 2011 with die pair 6 and a total run of 1964 coins. In 2020 he created another 478 1964 D coins using die pairs 8 and 9. When I bought a few in 2011 I assumed the total number to be produced was set at 1964, no more to be made? Question for the Carr collectors; Has the creation of more coins in 2020 lowered the value of my dies 5 and 6 coins?

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mark1010 said:

@PRIZ430 said:
    The 1964 Peace Dollar total production was 1,964

I was/am confused about the total number produced of the Carr 1964 D Peace dollar . The original run ended in 2011 with die pair 6 and a total run of 1964 coins. In 2020 he created another 478 1964 D coins using die pairs 8 and 9. When I bought a few in 2011 I assumed the total number to be produced was set at 1964, no more to be made? Question for the Carr collectors; Has the creation of more coins in 2020 lowered the value of my dies 5 and 6 coins?

No,,,,,,,,,, not IMHO,,,,, the 2011 are still the 2011 variety and mintages,,,, the 2020 are a different variety with an additional mintage of their own.

GrandAm :)
  • Options

WELCOME @Mark1010 :)

What GrandAm said + this was a discussed topic a month or so ago on this thread. I encourage you to peruse these threads for a great deal of info pertaining. Please also feel free to post your favorite pieces and questions. Cheers! :):)

• Options
    TheReverendTheReverend Posts: 21 ✭✭✭

• Options

One of my prized items by Mr. Carr.

• Options

@Bullsitter said:
    Old friend that lives near the North Pole sent me a photo of his Circ 1942dDd/S.....reverse ghosting looks mighty fine .... B)

I offered him $25 but never heard back.... :#

That's awesome! I need to examine mine!

• Options

• Options

@TheReverend said:

One of my prized items by Mr. Carr.

You have the large model? That's amazing!

• Options

Yes, I have a couple others I'll post later.

• Options

@Akbeez said:

What GrandAm said + this was a discussed topic a month or so ago on this thread. I encourage you to peruse these threads for a great deal of info pertaining. Please also feel free to post your favorite pieces and questions. Cheers! :):)

Thank You and Grand Am for the welcome and the info! I will look to the past threads and read up on it. I have been away from coins for about 5 years and now returning. I should have known my question was discussed somewhere in the past. I was just surprised to see more 1964 Peace dollars minted when I thought they were limited to total of 1964. Thx!

• Options

@Mark1010 said:

@Akbeez said:

Thank You and Grand Am for the welcome and the info! I will look to the past threads and read up on it. I have been away from coins for about 5 years and now returning. I should have known my question was discussed somewhere in the past. I was just surprised to see more 1964 Peace dollars minted when I thought they were limited to total of 1964. Thx!

I found the threads you were referring to back in the April/May time period. Jeez, quite a storm arose! I was not that concerned about the investment potential as I like the coins and have no interest in selling them, just wondered if issuing more had changed the pricing

• Options

Time flies! Yes, there was some controversy with a few posters, but I have followed prices and if anything, the 2020 strikes caused a revival in collectors trying to get one of each of the numerous varieties. Also -- die pair 9 produced higher quality strikes than earlier dies AND were tweaked to be the closest rendition of what the Mint intended for the original 1964 dollars.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file