Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

World Gold Coins Anyone? Post em' If you got em'!

Here's a couple of Gold coins from Venezuela I bought last year. One weighs 2.9 grams and the other weighs 3.0 grams but I forget the particulars which one is which. Both are 18mm across, sellers pics! Most coin collectors I know personally, don't buy World Gold at all but that's okay, that's what keeps the hobby interesting. Post pics of your World Gold coins if you wish! :D

Comments

• Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have to update my photos since I have added a few pieces since these were taken.

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

New purchase

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

I totally missed the word gold when I read the title. :#

• ELuisELuis Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 19, 2020 5:10PM

Wow, very nice stuff so far shown here, too bad I got rid of some gold coins in the past.

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love that Singold series - my dragon above was as well!

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SYRACUSIAN maybe I need more coins to add a surprise factor :D

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Abuelo said:
    And on the subject of the Emperor, a medal that you are not likely to ever see again, unless you are extremely lucky! So special posting dedicated to @SYRACUSIAN who kindly, noticed my coins.

This is the crown jewel of the medals coined in Central America (back then part of the Mexican Empire) to commemorate the coronation of Emperor Agustin. According to Carlos Jara (Mexican Coin Company Newsletter September/October 2014): “On October 31, (1822), the mayor of Guatemala City indicated that the amount of coins (medals) to be minted for that purpose (proclamation of Agustin I) should be of 400 pesos (or 3200 medals of 1 Real). On November 21, the ceremony for distributing the medals was fixed for December 26, and on December 14, it was reported that: “striking of medals would start the following day, including 4 gold pieces – two for the Emperor, and one each for the Archbishop and General Captain Gabino Gainza”. Surviving specimens in gold (a single specimen) and silver (scarce) are known. Additionally, a few specimens of a mule striking in gold using the obverse of the Leon de Nicaragua medal and the reverse of this one are also known (two ex-Eliasberg, one recently sold by Heritage).” Therefore, as this is not the mule Nicaragua-Guatemala, it has a 50% possibility to be one of the medals presented to (and owned by) the Emperor. This is (despite the scratches on the bust of the Emperor) a very rare, possibly unique (or near unique likely R9 or R10!), medal.

¡¡¡Fantastic @Abuelo !!!

• AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @pruebas nearly as rare as your patterns ;)

• SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

I’ve noticed everybody’s coins and I was blown away in almost every single post, for instance, Tibor’s, pruebas’, rob2p’s, and virtually everybody else’s, but it wasn’t the purpose of this thread to stop and express my admiration for everything posted , but thanks for the wonderful additions, this thread can only get better.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3