Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1972 Topps Baseball - Official PSA Thread!

Comments

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭

I didn't notice that. I'll give that a try. Thanks.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think when those “or best offers” appear in an auction format it is usually an automated accident. I doubt this seller will accept less than his starting bid given his absurd starting bids in his other auctions.

• Options
    mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

His prices are indeed laughable, but I think he’s lowering them each time they don’t sell. There’s one card in particular I’m watching that I hope he lowers a couple notches.

"I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options

I don't usually comment on the Forum but really enjoy the 1972 set because of the "groovy" colors and design plus you get to see Hall of Famer cards of stars from the '30's (Ted Williams started in '39!) to the '90's (Nolan Ryan finished his hall of fame campaign in 1993, just 2 years after leading the AL in strikeouts in 1990). I was happy to see the #1 registry set actually publish some of their cards for us to enjoy. The Showcase found at https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/pension/profile/10209 is awesome. It's been fun reading through this thread. There's a lot of whining, but there appear to be some really down-to-earth collectors as well. Makes me want to find a "five-and-dime", buy a few packs and "got it, got it, need it"....

• Options

you know, now that I look at his name, he had a set that was pretty high up in the registry...must be breaking it up. And I looked at some of the prices he's asking. He does have some tougher 9's to come by listed now, but he'll have to come down some before they move.

• Options

I am fairly new to the graded aspect of collecting, eventhough I'm heavily into this set, but I have a question. Hopefully someone here will know more about this. It pertains to all graded sets, not just this one.
    I quite often read in the various threads that people will acquire a card and after a review, feel that it is worthy of a higher grade and resubmit. How does this work with the pop counts? If they crack the case and take the card for resubmission, aren't the pop counts getting distorted? You take look at the counts and think there are a certain number while there could be several less. Anyone out there shed some light on this? Thanks.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JRR300 said:
    I am fairly new to the graded aspect of collecting, eventhough I'm heavily into this set, but I have a question. Hopefully someone here will know more about this. It pertains to all graded sets, not just this one.
    I quite often read in the various threads that people will acquire a card and after a review, feel that it is worthy of a higher grade and resubmit. How does this work with the pop counts? If they crack the case and take the card for resubmission, aren't the pop counts getting distorted? You take look at the counts and think there are a certain number while there could be several less. Anyone out there shed some light on this? Thanks.

If sent in for review, cert # remains the same if it bumps and pop report is adjusted correctly.

If cracked out and sent in raw, it's up to whoever cracked it out to send in the flip to have it removed from the pop report. I've got a bunch saved up that I'll eventually send in, but for now the pop report is inaccurate for any that I've cracked.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:
    If cracked out and sent in raw, it's up to whoever cracked it out to send in the flip to have it removed from the pop report. I've got a bunch saved up that I'll eventually send in, but for now the pop report is inaccurate for any that I've cracked.

Thank you for clearing that up. Very helpful.

• Options

Also, I believe the card is temporarily removed from the pop report during the review period.

• Options

Thanks. Some of the very low pop cards must be tucked away in sets and are never to be found anywhere. Guess the only way would be if someone decides to break up a set.
    Very frustrating as I've been chasing these last 3 cards and can't even get a look at them.
    I'll just continue to be patient and hope I do get them soon.

• Options
    Late1970sToppsLate1970sTopps Posts: 750 ✭✭✭

Gentlemen:

I thought I would follow up on my April post and let everyone know that I decided to break up my complete 1972 Baseball graded set and sell the cards individually on eBay. Right now I have approximately 200 PSA 8 and PSA 9 cards listed (including some low population examples) and the first 100 cards will close on Sunday, June 28th.

I will be listing the cards as 10 day auctions and attempting to run 100 lots per week until they are all listed. In terms of pricing, I started them off at slightly lower than either the most recent auction price or average action price on vintagecardprices.com. In many cases, my cards are WAY cheaper than other examples listed under the buy-it-now option as I wanted to set reasonable opening prices and move the cards. I am listing the cards under my eBay user ID - fsmith68.

You can use this link to find all the items:

Link To Auctions

Thanks for looking and best of luck to each of you on your set building! For the 10+ years I was hot and heavy in building registry sets, it brought me a lot of joy.

Frank (formerly "Funky Frank" on the registry)

Looking for 1975, 1978, and 1979 Topps Baseball in high end PSA 9 and PSA 10.

My sincere thanks to Ron, who has the #7 registry set. He happened to have two #48 Ellis IA PSA 9's, rare finds in the high grades, and sold me one. Will try to put a pix up here soon, but what a good looking card. Now down to needing just 2 cards in 9 grade to have every card at 9 or better. The search continues.

• Options
    mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

Finally snagged my Hovley. There's a seller who's been discussed in this thread who listed a lot of key cards and low pop 9's starting back in May I believe. When I first saw this card I was blown away. The l/r centering is as good as I can hope for although the t/b centering is not as strong. Unfortunately it was initially priced at like $700. I did notice however that each time the card was relisted, he lowered the price. Finally around July 4th the price had dropped enough where I was comfortable pulling the trigger. When looking at VCP average, I still overpaid, but this card is anything but average so I gladly paid the premium.

"I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mrpeanut39 said:
    Finally snagged my Hovley. There's a seller who's been discussed in this thread who listed a lot of key cards and low pop 9's starting back in May I believe. When I first saw this card I was blown away. The l/r centering is as good as I can hope for although the t/b centering is not as strong. Unfortunately it was initially priced at like $700. I did notice however that each time the card was relisted, he lowered the price. Finally around July 4th the price had dropped enough where I was comfortable pulling the trigger. When looking at VCP average, I still overpaid, but this card is anything but average so I gladly paid the premium.

Nice pickup.. That is a beauty. Congrats!!!

• Options

very nice pickup. On those low pop high numbers like this and some others, when you see a real nice one, you just have to go for it. People who know this set are normally paying a premium for those that look as nice as this. Congrats.

I'll put this out here on this thread. I've already put it out on the B/S/T thread. I'm looking for a #638 Ken Wright, PSA 10. It's not a real low pop (I believe 9), but haven't been able to locate one. I'd appreciate any leads. Thanks.

• Options

Been wanting to add a Clemente PSA 10 to my set, but they have been too pricey for my budget. Found this one (#310 CLEMENTE IA) for what I think is a fair price. Hopefully, I figured out how to get the pix here

• Options
  • Options

@mrpeanut39 said:

Very nice! I see you finally came to peace with the yellow blob! 😂😂

• Options

@PaulMaul said:
    Five down and one to go!

did you get these all at once? all very nice. they all seem to be short numbers.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm somewhat surprised the ROY T/B centering passed your discerning standards. The clarity of the image and lack of PD are phenomenal in that example, regardless. The other 4 are nothing less than I would expect from your eye for purchases, high end for the grade, even in a 9.

• Options
    edited August 7, 2020 7:10PM

@LarkinCollector said:
    I'm somewhat surprised the ROY T/B centering passed your discerning standards. The clarity of the image and lack of PD are phenomenal in that example, regardless. The other 4 are nothing less than I would expect from your eye for purchases, high end for the grade, even in a 9.

I think I may have purchased three of these a long, long time ago without seeing scans and took the word of the seller. But strangely centering has never been as important to me as lack of tilt. Unfortunately the ROY is imperfect in that regard also.

• Options

Just picked up PSA 10's #145 Kessinger and #153 Auerbach. The Auerbach was a bit of a tough one, as the pop count was only 6. Strangely enough, the Kessinger which has a much higher count (15) was selling for more on it's last 3 sales. Finally found one that came down a little and pulled the trigger.
    Trying to add some pix to my registry set but can't figure out how. Help anyone?

• Options
    edited August 23, 2020 3:32PM

@JRR300

Coincidentally I got a Kessinger 10 recently also, from 4SC on July 25 for $115. I usually don’t buy 10s but I thought it was really nice, reasonably priced and I had some extra PP money from a sale.

If you have the pics on your phone, you simply log into the set registry, go to your set, and click on the cert number of the card. Within, you will see a link to click to upload a photo. Click it, select the photo from your camera roll and it will upload.

• Options

@PaulMaul said:

If you have the pics on your phone, you simply log into the set registry, go to your set, and click on the cert number of the card. Within, you will see a link to click to upload a photo. Click it, select the photo from your camera roll and it will upload.

Got it. I was trying to view my set through the registry standings and couldn't find the upload. But I went into my inventory and there it was. Thanks. Loaded a few now and will start to add a few each day.

• Options
    edited October 8, 2020 7:19AM

@JRR300

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-Topps-Set-Break-655-Jerry-Grote-PSA-9-MINT/324324123717?hash=item4b83396445:g:Z2AAAOSwvNBffk6Y

Should not have been a 9 IMO. Every card I’ve ever submitted with that kind of vertical centering has come back an 8.

• Options

@PaulMaul said:
    @JRR300

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-Topps-Set-Break-655-Jerry-Grote-PSA-9-MINT/324324123717?hash=item4b83396445:g:Z2AAAOSwvNBffk6Y

Should not have been a 9 IMO. Every card I’ve ever submitted with that kind of vertical centering has come back an 8.

thanks for the heads up. I know of several people I've met thru here that have been searching for a Grote 9. i'd love to grab this just because there are so few of these out there and it's the first I've seen in about 3 years.
    Will be putting up some pix as I just acquired the 400th PSA 10 for my set. It's #626 the BABE RUTH AWARD and has a skinny 5 pop.

• Options

There is a Schaal IA PSA 9 up also; another very low pop card from this set. If you think the look of the Grote is bad, you should see that one. Vertical centering way off IMO, and significant tilt. Even with my poor eyesight, it looks terrible; wonder how it ever got a nine.

• Options

@JRR300 said:
    There is a Schaal IA PSA 9 up also; another very low pop card from this set. If you think the look of the Grote is bad, you should see that one. Vertical centering way off IMO, and significant tilt. Even with my poor eyesight, it looks terrible; wonder how it ever got a nine.

Probstein is auctioning the #6 set on the registry. From what I can tell, every card in it was graded 15+ years ago, and the overall eye appeal of the set is pretty weak, though there are always gonna be some exceptions.

• Options

@PaulMaul said:
    Probstein is auctioning the #6 set on the registry. From what I can tell, every card in it was graded 15+ years ago, and the overall eye appeal of the set is pretty weak, though there are always gonna be some exceptions.

Yes I did see that. I tried to contact the holder of that set thru the registry site and he never responded. I counted less than a dozen cards he has that I would like. Thursday is a tough night for me though. i normally don't use a snipe service, but I may have to here.
    Is there any way to tell from the cert # when the card was graded?

• Options
    edited October 9, 2020 5:58PM

This thread has some information in it.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/992291/psa-flip-label-history-guide

I know when I started submitting in early 2013 it was right around the beginning of the 2000**** cert numbers. I would estimate that all of these flips starting with 31, 30, 81, 10, 11, etc. are likely from 2008 or earlier. The ones starting with 0 are earlier than that.

• Options

thanks.
    here are pix for additions #399 and #400 to my set (PSA 10's). Rudy May #656 and Babe Ruth Award #626

• Options

You guys may remember when this card was first offered two years ago. After a lot of bid stacking by that rich fella and a lot of running up it sold for $588, about $450 more than it is worth 😂. I was very disappointed at the time because it’s the nicest copy of this card I’ve ever seen. Someone up there likes me because it showed up on eBay again recently and I managed to pick it up for a decent approximation of its actual value....

• Options

you do have a very sharp eye. Great looking card.

• Options

@PaulMaul said:
    This thread has some information in it.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/992291/psa-flip-label-history-guide

I know when I started submitting in early 2013 it was right around the beginning of the 2000**** cert numbers. I would estimate that all of these flips starting with 31, 30, 81, 10, 11, etc. are likely from 2008 or earlier. The ones starting with 0 are earlier than that.

Those articles were very helpful. thanks.

would it then follow that when buying, besides the "eye test", the cards with cert #'s 2000**** would be better overall as they have been put through a more thorough process than those graded earlier, especially the original ones, e.g like the SCHAAL IA mentioned earlier. It would seem as though as the grading concept became more prominent, the standards became more strict.

• Options

@JRR300

I do think grading is overall tighter than it was in the earliest days, and I do prefer newer flips, but there are still plenty of nice cards in older flips. So the “eye test” is the ultimate arbiter.

• Options

There were two PSA 9 Grote's up on EBAY; the first went of for a price tag a little over $3300. Way over what I value that card . A guy I met thru this forum wound up the winner; he had told me it was the last card he needed to have all PSA 9 or better and had been looking for a nice copy for over 4 years. His set isn't on the registry but he would be way up there, as he also has a fairly good number on 10's as well. The SCHAAL IA PSA 9 went for a few hundred less than the last few, most likely because the card seemed to be a little tilted and slightly off centered. Anyone else pick up something from that set breakup?

• Options

I won 7 cards, including a few I had been looking for for awhile. I also lost out on a few I really wanted. I will post my winnings once I have them in hand.

And the $3300 for Grote is crazy, but it least it was really a 9. In fact I don’t think I’ve ever seen one nicer than that one.

• Options

@PaulMaul said:
    I won 7 cards, including a few I had been looking for for awhile. I also lost out on a few I really wanted. I will post my winnings once I have them in hand.

And the $3300 for Grote is crazy, but it least it was really a 9. In fact I don’t think I’ve ever seen one nicer than that one.

I only won 2 out of 20 I was bidding on.

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

@JRR300 said:
    There were two PSA 9 Grote's up on EBAY; the first went of for a price tag a little over $3300. Way over what I value that card . A guy I met thru this forum wound up the winner; he had told me it was the last card he needed to have all PSA 9 or better and had been looking for a nice copy for over 4 years. His set isn't on the registry but he would be way up there, as he also has a fairly good number on 10's as well. The SCHAAL IA PSA 9 went for a few hundred less than the last few, most likely because the card seemed to be a little tilted and slightly off centered. Anyone else pick up something from that set breakup?

WTF for a PSA 9 ?!!!

• Options
    edited October 16, 2020 1:38PM

@lawyer05 said:

@JRR300 said:

WTF for a PSA 9 ?!!!

It is the lowest pop PSA 9 in the set with zero 10s.

• Options

@manhattanguy said:

@PaulMaul said:

I only won 2 out of 20 I was bidding on.

Too bad. Bidding did seem to be aggressive overall. One that I really wanted and lost was the Nate Colbert IA. Looked perfect. That’s what I love about set breaks. Even when the set has poor eye appeal you can always find some nice ones with such a large group.

• Options

I was able to get 5 of the six 10's I was bidding on, and I know that I overpaid a little for F Robinson and the Swoboda which was only a 3 pop, but I really wanted those two. Been going after the Robinson for a while and have been getting beat out at the end every time, so I just decided to go all in on it. Some of the other nines looked good to me, but I didn't fully scrutinize them as I wasn't going to purchase. Thinking about selling some of the dupe 9's I've accumulated through upgrades to raise some cash. Will list on the B/S/T page when I do.> @PaulMaul said:

@lawyer05 said:

@JRR300 said:

It is the lowest pop PSA 9 in the set with zero 10s.

also, I don't think I've seen a 9 in that card for over four years.

• Options

I'm also very surprised that the 8's of the GROTE don't sell for more than they currently do. The SCHAAL IA and the BARTON IA are the two other scarce ones and they seem to be selling for more than the GROTE does. Just doesn't make much sense to me.

• Options

@JRR300 said:
    I'm also very surprised that the 8's of the GROTE don't sell for more than they currently do. The SCHAAL IA and the BARTON IA are the two other scarce ones and they seem to be selling for more than the GROTE does. Just doesn't make much sense to me.

The 8 population for Grote is around 85, while for Barton and Schaal it’s around 65.

• Options

This arrived today. I’m just not paying $700 for a PSA 9, and the only thing keeping this from a 9 is the vertical centering, which doesn’t bother me much.

• Options

@PaulMaul said:
    This arrived today. I’m just not paying $700 for a PSA 9, and the only thing keeping this from a 9 is the vertical centering, which doesn’t bother me much.

The $700 price tag on that card seems to be the going rate and I don't see it dropping soon; just too few of them and way more collectors. A very nice looking copy for you there.
    Can I ask how far along you are on this set? Based on the pix you've put up here, you've managed to garner some very nice looking cards.

• Options

@JRR300 said:

@PaulMaul said:

The $700 price tag on that card seems to be the going rate and I don't see it dropping soon; just too few of them and way more collectors. A very nice looking copy for you there.
    Can I ask how far along you are on this set? Based on the pix you've put up here, you've managed to garner some very nice looking cards.

I’m approaching 55% with a GPA a bit south of 9. I usually purchase only 9s and a few 8s on really tough cards like this one. Most of my 8s are cards I submitted early on. I’m happy with most of them but may replace a few down the line. The sprinkling of 10s I have are also from subs.

Here is my set:

https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/baseball/company-sets/1972-topps-basic/alltimeset/198145

• Options

@PaulMaul said:

I’m approaching 55% with a GPA a bit south of 9. I usually purchase only 9s and a few 8s on really tough cards like this one. Most of my 8s are cards I submitted early on. I’m happy with most of them but may replace a few down the line. The sprinkling of 10s I have are also from subs.

Here is my set:

I see you got that Johnson IA added; that was a very nice addition. You are quite selective and have a very sharp eye with your purchases, something I really struggle with as my vision has weakened over the years. Stick to it; the set is a monster as you well know and it's very easy to get side tracked. Good luck and thanks for the help you've provided. I greatly appreciate it.

• Options

and now the other GROTE, which wasn't as nice as the first, also goes for $3300+ in the last 3 seconds. Looks like there were two bids in excess of $3300! WOW!

• Options

@JRR300 said:
    and now the other GROTE, which wasn't as nice as the first, also goes for $3300+ in the last 3 seconds. Looks like there were two bids in excess of $3300! WOW!

I’m shocked. The other one was A LOT nicer. This one should have been an 8 for sure.