Home U.S. Coin Forum

Please Guess the Grade - My first PCGS submission (Grades revealed in comments section)

U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 8, 2020 10:29AM in U.S. Coin Forum

This was my first PCGS submission, so how did I do?
Please guess the grades. :)

Comments

• mcarney1173mcarney1173 Posts: 912 ✭✭✭✭✭

Morgan 64
    Franklin 65

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

65+
    65FBL

Nice coins!

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice & congrats on your first submission. :)

• NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS63+

MS64

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

64+
    63+FBL

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

You did well. Morgan MS65, Franklin MS64FBL

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think those are nice coins

New descriptive grading

scrumptious

and

hot!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love that Half Dollar!

• MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS64
    MS64

All glory is fleeting.
  • SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

65FB

• SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭✭✭

64+ morgan
    63 Franklin

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

64+
    64+

• Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

64, 65

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

A pair of 64s. Love the color on both coins!

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • android01android01 Posts: 306 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both 65.

• ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

A pair of 65s

• 63+

• vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

65 & 65. Thanks for posting!

Vplite99
  • U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

@vplite99 said:
    65 & 65. Thanks for posting!

You're welcome!
    It took me over 4 years from joining the forum to making my first PCGS submission. It took a while to find something that I wanted to send. The second submission came much quicker though. :)

• KoveKove Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭✭

64+ Morgan
    64 Franklin

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 8, 2020 5:02AM

MS64.
    MS64FBL.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tarnished.... :D;) OK....64 and 64... Cheers, RickO

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

66 Morgan and 64 (FBL) Franklin.
    Both simply lovely coins.

peacockcoins

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pluses might be in order..

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭✭✭

That may be the prettiest Franklin I have ever seen.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 784 ✭✭✭

64 on the Morgan, at least 65 on the Franklin.;

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,457 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Morgan looks like one of the rainbow or similar looking coins that go for crazy money in the right holder, which it is. There is always another day if you think they have been too harsh.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

A great read and lesson. I've saved a good deal of money. Interesting though; I did want to say that these coins sure don't look like "first" submission coins ". Did you crack out prior to submission, or ask for crossover at any grade ?

edited September 8, 2020 11:43AM

@logger7 and @TwoSides2aCoin
    The Morgan was in an older NGC MS 64 Star holder. I bought it at a show several years ago. I also discovered that it used to be owned by Aurora Borealis and nicknamed Black Leopard (I didn't know that when I bought it, so I was pleasantly surprised).

And I rarely submit coins as I've learned that it's often easier and less expensive to just buy the coin already graded. Sometimes I do get motivated to submit when I find a nice raw coin (like the Franklin originally was-before all its trips) or think a coin has a chance for a better grade. Both of these were cracked prior to sending in as the crossover option didn't seem worth it (Morgan I was fairly certain would be at least the same 64 while the 62 holder wasn't doing the Franklin any favors). The Franklin might go back in one more time (I did mention I was stubborn with it :D ) but for now I will just enjoy it as is.

• PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

Can only speculate on the Franklin damage (on the bell, Franklin's bust, behind him, ?). Lesson reinforced, only grade in hand, not from pics.

@PQueue said:
    Can only speculate on the Franklin damage (on the bell, Franklin's bust, behind him, ?). Lesson reinforced, only grade in hand, not from pics.

My guess is the bell and the area between "In" and Franklin's hair. It did not seem serious enough to prevent a straight grade, but I'm not the grader and am biased. :D

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@U1chicago said:

@PQueue said:

My guess is the bell and the area between "In" and Franklin's hair. It did not seem serious enough to prevent a straight grade, but I'm not the grader and am biased. :D

are they scratches?

Frank

BHNC #203

@Treashunt said:

@U1chicago said:

@PQueue said:

are they scratches?

Market acceptable scrapes. :D
    It did not seem deep enough to be a true scratch, but it very well might be in the eyes of some graders.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,457 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had an 1838 $5 classic that graded AU scratches but later straighted as an AU55. It may be worth another try.

• MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a v 5 cent proof last month that got bagged at one and straight graded at the other so it might be worth a shot. I am four for five on crackout submissions.

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was going to give them a 64 each...nice looking pair!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 8, 2020 6:57PM

Boy 'o boy, what a disappointment this must of been? First, because of this being your first submission. Second, because of the history you went through with the Franklin. I'm sorry for ya buddy. Always, submitting a coin can be a risk. By what had happen to you and of course, the coin not being lost or stolen. Better luck next one. That Morgan is a stunner though. :)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

@joeykoins said:
    Boy 'o boy, what a disappointment this must of been? First, because of this being your first submission. Second, because of the history you went through with the Franklin. I'm sorry for ya buddy. Always, submitting a coin can be a risk. By what had happen to you and of course, the coin not being lost or stolen. Better luck next one. That Morgan is a stunner though. :D

I'll use it as a learning experience. :)

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm surprised the Morgan wasn't bumped from a 64 to a 64+. I think PCGS is right on the Franklin unfortunately.

@cameonut2011 said:
    I'm surprised the Morgan wasn't bumped from a 64 to a 64+. I think PCGS is right on the Franklin unfortunately.

I'm surprised too. With the Franklin it was 3 opinions of straight grades to 1 details, so I'm siding with the three. :D

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@U1chicago said:

@cameonut2011 said:

I'm surprised too. With the Franklin it was 3 opinions of straight grades to 1 details, so I'm siding with the three. :D

Regardless of the label, the Franklin is still beautiful and worth a premium to toned collectors.

@cameonut2011 said:

@U1chicago said:

@cameonut2011 said:

Regardless of the label, the Franklin is still beautiful and worth a premium to toned collectors.

I like it and it's staying in my collection for the foreseeable future. :)

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

The scrapes on the bell did in the Franklin, but I would have thought the Morgan would have gone to 4+ with the nice color.

• clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both beauties regardless of grade. Too bad the franklin didn't fare better.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • jedmjedm Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

@U1chicago said:
    ...The Franklin stumped me. My prediction was MS 63 or 64. It has some hits, but it didn't appear to be enough to warrant the damaged designation. This coin is a bit of a mystery and I have stubbornly invested too much into it. It started with a journey to Anacs (one of my first ever subs to a grading company) where it came back AU 55. Several years later it went to NGC where it came back MS 62.

I find it interesting that out of the three times it was graded the results varied widely.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file